ANNOUNCING SMBX 2.0! (Playable Mega Man and Samus Announced)

Topics about events/announcements that are no longer relevant.
Prado
Volcano Lotus
Volcano Lotus

Re: ANNOUNCING SMBX 2.0!!! (Playable Snake and Zelda Announc

Postby Prado » Tue Dec 08, 2015 7:10 pm

I have a question: can the new characters be used in battle mode??? Please...
Discord server to play SMBX online via Parsec!

https://discord.gg/FftYYMv

TheSaturnyoshi
Swooper
Swooper

Postby TheSaturnyoshi » Tue Dec 08, 2015 7:29 pm

Yes, probably, when the full version is released.
But for now that isn't possible yet.
Who even uses siignatures these days?

SnifitGuy
Birdo
Birdo

Re: ANNOUNCING SMBX 2.0!!! (Playable Wario and Bowser Announ

Postby SnifitGuy » Tue Dec 08, 2015 8:29 pm

Horikawa Otane wrote:
SnifitGuy wrote: How does one implement the custom characters within their levels?
During the beta it'll be as simple as copying a bunch of files into your level or episode folder. I've made it super painless.
That's good, especially for anyone else who might want to customize their own character. Copying files is really useful because we can directly edit them without having to do something weird involving the exe or source files...

GameClip477
Hoopster
Hoopster

Postby GameClip477 » Tue Dec 08, 2015 8:50 pm

My guesses are Donkey Kong, Mr.Game and Watch, Kirby, or Fox McCloud ._.

dagget10
Volcano Lotus
Volcano Lotus
Current Project: ******* ***** ***** **** (Secret)
Chat Username: Dagget10

Postby dagget10 » Tue Dec 08, 2015 9:24 pm

Can it run without openGL? (My computer can't support OpenGL XD)
Eyyyy

Kuribo
Rex
Rex

Postby Kuribo » Tue Dec 08, 2015 10:18 pm

I actually like Snake's gameplay a lot, even though he won't fit into most regular levels. The stealth-based gameplay just looks really fun. I also actually don't mind his sprite that much, except for the weird shadow.

Zelda is another complex character with some gamebreaking attributes, but I could see some interesting puzzle design based on her abilities. No doubt she'll require a lot more testing.

SnifitGuy
Birdo
Birdo

Postby SnifitGuy » Tue Dec 08, 2015 10:41 pm

When I get the code, I'm so going to try (and most likely fail) at creating my own custom character. How difficult was it to make the different characters?

Kyoya
Cheep-Cheep
Cheep-Cheep

Postby Kyoya » Tue Dec 08, 2015 11:10 pm

Can we see some proof of progress?
A screen capture video showing work?
Maybe a demo video? Screenshots?
Anyone can say most anything on a post so I won't believe this until I see some proof.
*arms cross, frowns*

ragont
Grinder
Grinder

Postby ragont » Tue Dec 08, 2015 11:27 pm

Kyoya wrote:Can we see some proof of progress?
Anyone can say most anything on a post so I won't believe this until I see some proof.
*arms cross, frowns*
Yeah! We want our money back!

Horikawa Otane
Lakitu
Lakitu

Postby Horikawa Otane » Tue Dec 08, 2015 11:35 pm

SnifitGuy wrote:When I get the code, I'm so going to try (and most likely fail) at creating my own custom character. How difficult was it to make the different characters?
It depends. If you have no LunaLua experience, I recommend not starting with a character. They're much more advanced than beginner status. I would recommend trying to do fun silly things like a double jump or weird tricks with layer manipulation or enemy spawning or something until you're more comfortable.

If you already know LunaLua the hardest thing is designing the characters, really. And ensuring they're compatible with character switching - that their mechanics reliably turn off when you switch to Mario or Luigi or whoever. It gets even trickier if you're switching between one another. That sort of juggling is often quite difficult.

But it also depends on the characters. Wario was relatively easy, so was Zelda oddly enough, but someone like Ninja Bomberman had a hella complex task before him. Like, the way SMBX worked it spawns bomb explosion hitboxes one frame before the bomb explosion animation. We can detect the animation - we can't detect the hitbox reliably. And since the NPC dies before the animation exists, they never intersect reliably. So what I had to do THERE was create a system by which NPCs have 'ghost hitboxes' that can't hurt you, but exist for exactly one frame after they die. Then detect the collision between the explosion and that ghost hitbox if the enemy NPC is indeed dead.

Maybe this could be done better now that onNPCKill exists, but at the time ensuring your jumps refreshed after you killed an enemy with the explosion radius of a bomb was a multi-week investigation.

The characters tomorrow also have unique features that took a LONG time and a lot of code to replicate faithfully, but I'm pleased with how they ended up.

So it really does vary. Something that seems utterly mundane (like detecting when a bomb explosion kills an NPC) is insanely hard, whereas something that seems utterly mad (Zelda's save state based powerups) is relatively easy by comparison (all red's savestate library really does is find structs in memory, copy them, then overwrite them).

Horikawa Otane
Lakitu
Lakitu

Postby Horikawa Otane » Tue Dec 08, 2015 11:58 pm

dagget10 wrote:Can it run without openGL? (My computer can't support OpenGL XD)
Not currently. But I'd be surprised if you can't run OpenGL. Any computer made within the last like 15 years ought to be fine.

I think there's a toggle in the works to enable/disable OpenGL mode (which makes the program run SO much better, so only disable it if you must). Maybe that'll be in the final version of 2.0, but if you can't handle OpenGL you won't be able to run the beta.

underFlo
Mario
Mario
Flair: sup im lesbiab
Current Project: actually nothing i lied to you
Chat Username: underFlo

Postby underFlo » Wed Dec 09, 2015 12:47 am

Kyoya wrote:Can we see some proof of progress?
*arms cross, frowns*
uhm yeah there's like 300 videos linked in the op???
im a girl yo

PaperMarioFan
Bob-omb
Bob-omb
Current Project: Super Luigi: the Marvelous Compass

Postby PaperMarioFan » Wed Dec 09, 2015 1:55 am

Well... i understand propeller suit, penguin suit, shell suit and super mario sunshine water suit will not be? Tooooo bad :(

Horikawa Otane
Lakitu
Lakitu

Postby Horikawa Otane » Wed Dec 09, 2015 2:01 am

PaperMarioFan wrote:Well... i understand propeller suit, penguin suit, shell suit and super mario sunshine water suit will not be? Tooooo bad :(
They're not currently planned, no. But they've become more or less possible recently due to recent advances, so maybe someday.

They won't be in 2.0 at a minimum. Maybe 2.1.

I am planning on adding some more custom NPCs though. I added Starman and I'm currently planning on adding Magikoopa. And possibly chain chomp. Give some requests there if you like.

PaperMarioFan
Bob-omb
Bob-omb
Current Project: Super Luigi: the Marvelous Compass

Postby PaperMarioFan » Wed Dec 09, 2015 2:32 am

Horikawa Otane wrote:
PaperMarioFan wrote:Well... i understand propeller suit, penguin suit, shell suit and super mario sunshine water suit will not be? Tooooo bad :(
They're not currently planned, no. But they've become more or less possible recently due to recent advances, so maybe someday.

They won't be in 2.0 at a minimum. Maybe 2.1.

I am planning on adding some more custom NPCs though. I added Starman and I'm currently planning on adding Magikoopa. And possibly chain chomp. Give some requests there if you like.
I give some ideas in PM now.

1toribocchi
Goomba
Goomba

Postby 1toribocchi » Wed Dec 09, 2015 2:39 am

Man there sure is a lot of whining in this thread and in the comment section of the videos.
People need to remember that a) they are not forced to play or create levels around the characters, b) the characters are pre-beta builds and bound to change a lot.

At the moment my favorite characters are: Zelda, Rosalina and Snake. In this order. Just thinking about the cool new puzzle and stealth levels we'll get makes me hyped as hell.
I wanna thank everyone working on this project!

Also the next character is obviously gonna be Ridley or King K. Rool

Aero
Palom
Palom
Flair: Pirate economy
Chat Username: aero

Postby Aero » Wed Dec 09, 2015 3:14 am

1toribocchi wrote:Man there sure is a lot of whining in this thread and in the comment section of the videos.
People need to remember that a) they are not forced to play or create levels around the characters, b) the characters are pre-beta builds and bound to change a lot.
Well I think that the criticism is that this all is going to be in the next main update. The reason why that's important is because levels need to be balanced so that the characters aren't too OP in the wrong level, and designers should have to take that into account now. Also, it kind of detaches from SMB3-centric theme that SMBX has and it seems like it's becoming less of a Mario game and more of a general platformer.

Reiuji Utsuho
Pokey
Pokey
Flair: Time to make myself disappear
Chat Username: Yuu-senpai#1659

Postby Reiuji Utsuho » Wed Dec 09, 2015 3:52 am

Ah, well if it's going to be for the next actual update itself I can already see some designers not caring to take stuff into consideration, but then again that's usually to the people who don't care about level design in the first place, and the beginners most likely wouldn't understand fully at that time. I have to admit that having new characters to try out in levels is something I'm really excited about. *~*

I also see about that second thing. There's a lot you can do with SMBX, compared to when it first came out. It was a Mario game and you could make a Mario level and at this point you could make something completely different. I doubt it take focus off Mario to most people though. That's what this has always been to me first and foremost. All the additions and contributions I see are always interesting though. ~

Hi! Please stay positive and keep yourself motivated. You can do many great things if you give it your effort. Please have a lovely day.
#1: Utsuho Reiuji  #2: Kagerou Imaizumi  #3: Fujiwara no Mokou  #4: Momiji Inubashiri  #5: Kasen Ibaraki

Aero
Palom
Palom
Flair: Pirate economy
Chat Username: aero

Postby Aero » Wed Dec 09, 2015 3:56 am

I don't disagree, just putting it out there.

Ace

Postby Ace » Wed Dec 09, 2015 4:09 am

1toribocchi wrote:Man there sure is a lot of whining in this thread and in the comment section of the videos.
Casual reminder that it's not cool or helpful to whine about people "whining".
Whining about somebody who's whining about people whining, on the other hand, is totally different ;)

Return to “Events and Announcements”