The Global Announcement You've All Been Waiting For

Topics about events/announcements that are no longer relevant.
SnifitGuy
Birdo
Birdo
Posts: 1471
Joined: Mon Dec 23, 2013 7:33 pm

Re: The Global Announcement You've All Been Waiting For

Postby SnifitGuy » Thu Jul 14, 2016 12:43 pm

Linik wrote: That's what Redigit did when he was making this "Super X" game, which was like SMBX but would instead feature Terraria sprites and characters. The problem with it is that someone could go and replace everything with SMBX's sprites and characters and release it as a new version of SMBX. However, we don't know whether Super X was actually a thing and whether it got off the ground.
Super X was, as far as I know, only a rumor fed by Redigit's lack of any sort of information. Also, that wouldn't really be a problem if the original game would have new sprites, character names, etc. because if someone just replaced all sprites with SMBX sprites, that wouldn't cause problems between Nintendo and Redigit because Redigit would not be responsible for the Mario implementation, meaning it would be between the mysterious party that would replace the original sprites with Mario sprites and Nintendo.

User avatar
Ace
Posts: 553
Joined: Sun Mar 23, 2014 4:50 pm

Re: The Global Announcement You've All Been Waiting For

Postby Ace » Thu Jul 14, 2016 3:26 pm

SnifitGuy wrote:
Linik wrote: That's what Redigit did when he was making this "Super X" game, which was like SMBX but would instead feature Terraria sprites and characters. The problem with it is that someone could go and replace everything with SMBX's sprites and characters and release it as a new version of SMBX. However, we don't know whether Super X was actually a thing and whether it got off the ground.
Super X was, as far as I know, only a rumor fed by Redigit's lack of any sort of information. Also, that wouldn't really be a problem if the original game would have new sprites, character names, etc. because if someone just replaced all sprites with SMBX sprites, that wouldn't cause problems between Nintendo and Redigit because Redigit would not be responsible for the Mario implementation, meaning it would be between the mysterious party that would replace the original sprites with Mario sprites and Nintendo.
It wasn't a rumor, redigit talked about it a bit on irc, and I remember seeing some graphics (there was a tree enemy called treelester or something). I don't know if anybody knows for sure if he was trolling or not, though.
Last edited by Ace on Thu Jul 14, 2016 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
GhostHawk
Mario
Mario
Posts: 4305
Joined: Fri Mar 28, 2014 2:51 pm
Flair: how to get a gf using LOGIC
Chat Username: Aero
Contact:

Re: The Global Announcement You've All Been Waiting For

Postby GhostHawk » Thu Jul 14, 2016 4:35 pm

SnifitGuy wrote:unless by some chance that Nintendo copyrighted the use of those names in any code whatsoever, lol.
You can't copyright words, and generic terms cannot be trademarked. It makes it so Nintendo doesn't own "Mario" but it does own "Super Mario Bros." It's best to scrub everything though because associating other generic terms like "Mario" and "Toad" and "Luigi" can bring up a case against you.
*sip* Don't talk to me until I've had my morning coffee.

SnifitGuy
Birdo
Birdo
Posts: 1471
Joined: Mon Dec 23, 2013 7:33 pm

Re: The Global Announcement You've All Been Waiting For

Postby SnifitGuy » Fri Jul 15, 2016 8:47 am

Ace wrote:It wasn't a rumor, redigit talked about it a bit on irc, and I remember seeing some graphics (there was a tree enemy called treelester or something). I don't know if anybody knows for sure if he was trolling or not, though.
With a name like Treelester, I can only assume it was a joke.
I was never fully informed on the situation on "Super X". I only heard it being brought up once or twice and then heard it was abandoned, so what I said was true, from a certain point of view I did not know much about the project at all because I didn't really get too involved with trying to figure out what it was and what information there was on it.
AeroMatter wrote:
SnifitGuy wrote:unless by some chance that Nintendo copyrighted the use of those names in any code whatsoever, lol.
You can't copyright words, and generic terms cannot be trademarked. It makes it so Nintendo doesn't own "Mario" but it does own "Super Mario Bros." It's best to scrub everything though because associating other generic terms like "Mario" and "Toad" and "Luigi" can bring up a case against you.
I know that you can't technically copyright words, honestly, considering how its a nonsense word used for an enemy in a Mario game, nobody would dare use it in their own projects. Also, if that is true, are you saying that Nintendo can copyright the phrase "Super Mario Bros" or the brand "Super Mario Bros"? Also, I guess I agree on the latter of your point, although it wouldn't have much to stand on considering how they are still generic terms/names and thus could very easily be dismissed as vague evidence that doesn't really support the argument that it's copyrighted. However, I do agree that it would still be best to remove any and all references to Nintendo's IPs so as to definitely avoid any problems (Unless for some random reason it is possible to use a project that had copyrighted material that was inspiration/prototype for another project later on, which I doubt is the case).

User avatar
GhostHawk
Mario
Mario
Posts: 4305
Joined: Fri Mar 28, 2014 2:51 pm
Flair: how to get a gf using LOGIC
Chat Username: Aero
Contact:

Re: The Global Announcement You've All Been Waiting For

Postby GhostHawk » Fri Jul 15, 2016 11:01 am

"Super Mario Bros" is protected by trademark law, not copyright. "Mario" is a generic name, but "Super Mario Bros." is a distinct franchise protected by law.

To put it simply: copyright protects IP, and trademarks protect brands and terms.
*sip* Don't talk to me until I've had my morning coffee.

User avatar
Artemis008
Kamikaze Koopa
Kamikaze Koopa
Posts: 1347
Joined: Mon Jul 06, 2015 4:34 pm
Location: Look behined you
Contact:

Re: The Global Announcement You've All Been Waiting For

Postby Artemis008 » Wed Jul 27, 2016 2:06 am

SnifitGuy wrote:
Joey wrote:Aero: Yeah, that's what we were going to do. The problem is that it simply hasn't happened.
Technically speaking, all the playable character's names (minus link) can stay because they aren't made up compared to Bowser, Goomba, Bullet Bill, etc. and therefore Nintendo does not own those names. I mean, you could change the graphics and it would legally be fine, unless by some chance that Nintendo copyrighted the use of those names in any code whatsoever, lol.
Just like what all those shitty Chinese bootlegs do.
I would rather have the names changed too so they wouldn't end up as Mario rip-offs.
Image

Well you see luigi, when a paisano puts his spaghetti noodle in a mamma mia’s ravioli, a little bambino covered in prosciutto comes out about nine months later -Mario

I believe in Mario as my lord and Savior, if you do, put this image in your signature.
Image

Spoiler: show
I might not be around much longer.

I have one more project to complete and then I'm done with it all.

If I disappear it means I'm gone for good. Don't bother looking for me.

User avatar
GhostHawk
Mario
Mario
Posts: 4305
Joined: Fri Mar 28, 2014 2:51 pm
Flair: how to get a gf using LOGIC
Chat Username: Aero
Contact:

Re: The Global Announcement You've All Been Waiting For

Postby GhostHawk » Thu Aug 04, 2016 2:01 am

Joey's coming back soon. Hide the weed.
*sip* Don't talk to me until I've had my morning coffee.

SnifitGuy
Birdo
Birdo
Posts: 1471
Joined: Mon Dec 23, 2013 7:33 pm

Re: The Global Announcement You've All Been Waiting For

Postby SnifitGuy » Thu Aug 04, 2016 11:07 am

AeroMatter wrote:Joey's coming back soon. Hide the weed.
I'll pay you $50 if you give me the last of the stash right now, even if it is only a gram...
Anyway, yey, jo.exe is cuming back from his jab...

User avatar
FanofSMBX
Bowser
Bowser
Posts: 3832
Joined: Sun Dec 22, 2013 12:01 pm

Re: The Global Announcement You've All Been Waiting For

Postby FanofSMBX » Fri Aug 05, 2016 7:11 pm

Has there been any news on this? Because this isn't the first time Redigit's "returned", and with SMBX 2.0 and TI3 being worked on SMBX being opensource seems more important than ever.

I believe in Jesus Christ as my Lord and Savior. If you do, put this in your signature.
My graphics pack!
Supporting forums:

Spoiler: show
SMBX Galaxy forum by Pivot40Channel
http://smbxgalaxy.prophpbb.com/
Come to the SMBX+ forums by illias3000. There is a whole forum category dedicated to the boss rush series with official rushes, submit bosses, and fan boss rushes! It is still open but AirSeus Forums is now open:
http://nsmbx.prophpbb.com/
AirSeus Forums the new home of the Boss Rush series:
http://smbxairseusforums.prophpbb.com/
Spoiler: show
First to discover:
Spark
Eerie
Grinder
Rainbow Shell
Birdo
Boom Boom
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
KINGBOWSER112 RULES!


User avatar
Shadow Yoshi
Dark Knight
Dark Knight
Posts: 4305
Joined: Sun Dec 01, 2013 12:56 pm

Re: The Global Announcement You've All Been Waiting For

Postby Shadow Yoshi » Fri Aug 05, 2016 8:21 pm

No news, and there likely won't be any.

Horikawa mentioned to me (and probably publically) at one point that the source code is not really necessary to SMBX 2.0's development.

User avatar
Danny
Mario
Mario
Posts: 4033
Joined: Fri Dec 20, 2013 1:12 pm
Chat Username: Syndrilevosse#3884

Re: The Global Announcement You've All Been Waiting For

Postby Danny » Fri Aug 05, 2016 10:55 pm

AeroMatter wrote:"Super Mario Bros" is protected by trademark law, not copyright. "Mario" is a generic name, but "Super Mario Bros." is a distinct franchise protected by law.

To put it simply: copyright protects IP, and trademarks protect brands and terms.
Off topic, but does anyone remember that time when King tried to put a copyright protection on the word "Candy" for Candy Crush Saga? I do. If that actually got pushed and allowed, do you know how many companies that would screw over?
I used to be 8bitmushroom but not anymore.
If you need to get in contact with me, message me on Discord.

SnifitGuy
Birdo
Birdo
Posts: 1471
Joined: Mon Dec 23, 2013 7:33 pm

Re: The Global Announcement You've All Been Waiting For

Postby SnifitGuy » Sat Aug 06, 2016 8:13 am

Joey wrote:No news, and there likely won't be any.

Horikawa mentioned to me (and probably publically) at one point that the source code is not really necessary to SMBX 2.0's development.
Is this because SMBX is alterable with .dll files and LunaLua? Sorry, but I'm a bit slow on as to how you were able to add things to SMBX and how you plan to add things without LunaLua scripts.

Mable
Peach
Peach
Posts: 5840
Joined: Sat Dec 21, 2013 4:23 am
Current Project: Account soon to be deleted
Location: Accountsoontobedeleted
Chat Username: Account soon to be d
Contact:

Re: The Global Announcement You've All Been Waiting For

Postby Mable » Sat Aug 06, 2016 8:26 am

King was allowed to copyright the word candy, in order to protect his game.. altough he later dropped it tho.

User avatar
G-Boy
Rex
Rex
Posts: 88
Joined: Fri Aug 05, 2016 12:45 pm
Current Project: Bowser Strikes Again!

Re: The Global Announcement You've All Been Waiting For

Postby G-Boy » Sat Aug 06, 2016 4:03 pm

Joey wrote:No news, and there likely won't be any.

Horikawa mentioned to me (and probably publically) at one point that the source code is not really necessary to SMBX 2.0's development.
I suggest that this thread should be locked if there won't be more news.
Last edited by G-Boy on Mon Aug 08, 2016 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Video games are bad for you? That's what they said about rock n' roll."
-Shigeru Miyamoto

Image

User avatar
HeroOfRhyme
Kamikaze Koopa
Kamikaze Koopa
Posts: 1397
Joined: Sat May 17, 2014 12:47 pm
Location: Straight Outta Hyrule

Re: The Global Announcement You've All Been Waiting For

Postby HeroOfRhyme » Sat Aug 06, 2016 4:22 pm

i think you should leave the locking up to joey since thats what he is best at
[08:20:23] <SleepyKitty> AeroMatter, typing /ignore *!*@* will let you block curtain people CTCP'ing you
[08:20:32] <SleepyKitty> so for an example
[08:20:36] <Marinite> curtain
[08:20:40] <Apex> curtain
[08:20:43] <AeroMatter> curtain

Join this fancy new mafia board if youre interested in playing with others!

User avatar
Danny
Mario
Mario
Posts: 4033
Joined: Fri Dec 20, 2013 1:12 pm
Chat Username: Syndrilevosse#3884

Re: The Global Announcement You've All Been Waiting For

Postby Danny » Sat Aug 06, 2016 4:43 pm

Tinkerbell wrote:King was allowed to copyright the word candy, in order to protect his game.. altough he later dropped it tho.
They were never able to copyright the word I believe, at least they weren't able to in the U.S., I think they did in Europe? You can still screw everyone over.
HeroOfRhyme wrote:i think you should leave the locking up to joey since thats what he is best at
Image
I used to be 8bitmushroom but not anymore.
If you need to get in contact with me, message me on Discord.

User avatar
HeroOfRhyme
Kamikaze Koopa
Kamikaze Koopa
Posts: 1397
Joined: Sat May 17, 2014 12:47 pm
Location: Straight Outta Hyrule

Re: The Global Announcement You've All Been Waiting For

Postby HeroOfRhyme » Sat Aug 06, 2016 4:47 pm

lmao danny
[08:20:23] <SleepyKitty> AeroMatter, typing /ignore *!*@* will let you block curtain people CTCP'ing you
[08:20:32] <SleepyKitty> so for an example
[08:20:36] <Marinite> curtain
[08:20:40] <Apex> curtain
[08:20:43] <AeroMatter> curtain

Join this fancy new mafia board if youre interested in playing with others!

SnifitGuy
Birdo
Birdo
Posts: 1471
Joined: Mon Dec 23, 2013 7:33 pm

Re: The Global Announcement You've All Been Waiting For

Postby SnifitGuy » Sat Aug 06, 2016 5:03 pm

Syndrilevosse wrote:
Tinkerbell wrote:King was allowed to copyright the word candy, in order to protect his game.. altough he later dropped it tho.
They were never able to copyright the word I believe, at least they weren't able to in the U.S., I think they did in Europe? You can still screw everyone over.
HeroOfRhyme wrote:i think you should leave the locking up to joey since thats what he is best at
Image
Anyone hear of the copyright over the term Pixels? There was a whole situation regarding that and a particular media sharing site, though I don't remember which one. Point is, every video with Pixels in the title was removed for copyright.

User avatar
Danny
Mario
Mario
Posts: 4033
Joined: Fri Dec 20, 2013 1:12 pm
Chat Username: Syndrilevosse#3884

Re: The Global Announcement You've All Been Waiting For

Postby Danny » Sat Aug 06, 2016 5:07 pm

SnifitGuy wrote:Anyone hear of the copyright over the term Pixels? There was a whole situation regarding that and a particular media sharing site, though I don't remember which one. Point is, every video with Pixels in the title was removed for copyright.
I feel that this can garner discussion, so lets move it out of this thread.
I used to be 8bitmushroom but not anymore.
If you need to get in contact with me, message me on Discord.


Return to “Events and Announcements”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest