Page 4 of 4

Re: The Global Announcement You've All Been Waiting For

Posted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 12:43 pm
by SnifitGuy
Linik wrote: That's what Redigit did when he was making this "Super X" game, which was like SMBX but would instead feature Terraria sprites and characters. The problem with it is that someone could go and replace everything with SMBX's sprites and characters and release it as a new version of SMBX. However, we don't know whether Super X was actually a thing and whether it got off the ground.
Super X was, as far as I know, only a rumor fed by Redigit's lack of any sort of information. Also, that wouldn't really be a problem if the original game would have new sprites, character names, etc. because if someone just replaced all sprites with SMBX sprites, that wouldn't cause problems between Nintendo and Redigit because Redigit would not be responsible for the Mario implementation, meaning it would be between the mysterious party that would replace the original sprites with Mario sprites and Nintendo.

Re: The Global Announcement You've All Been Waiting For

Posted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 3:26 pm
by Ace
SnifitGuy wrote:
Linik wrote: That's what Redigit did when he was making this "Super X" game, which was like SMBX but would instead feature Terraria sprites and characters. The problem with it is that someone could go and replace everything with SMBX's sprites and characters and release it as a new version of SMBX. However, we don't know whether Super X was actually a thing and whether it got off the ground.
Super X was, as far as I know, only a rumor fed by Redigit's lack of any sort of information. Also, that wouldn't really be a problem if the original game would have new sprites, character names, etc. because if someone just replaced all sprites with SMBX sprites, that wouldn't cause problems between Nintendo and Redigit because Redigit would not be responsible for the Mario implementation, meaning it would be between the mysterious party that would replace the original sprites with Mario sprites and Nintendo.
It wasn't a rumor, redigit talked about it a bit on irc, and I remember seeing some graphics (there was a tree enemy called treelester or something). I don't know if anybody knows for sure if he was trolling or not, though.

Re: The Global Announcement You've All Been Waiting For

Posted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 4:35 pm
by Aero
SnifitGuy wrote:unless by some chance that Nintendo copyrighted the use of those names in any code whatsoever, lol.
You can't copyright words, and generic terms cannot be trademarked. It makes it so Nintendo doesn't own "Mario" but it does own "Super Mario Bros." It's best to scrub everything though because associating other generic terms like "Mario" and "Toad" and "Luigi" can bring up a case against you.

Re: The Global Announcement You've All Been Waiting For

Posted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 8:47 am
by SnifitGuy
Ace wrote:It wasn't a rumor, redigit talked about it a bit on irc, and I remember seeing some graphics (there was a tree enemy called treelester or something). I don't know if anybody knows for sure if he was trolling or not, though.
With a name like Treelester, I can only assume it was a joke.
I was never fully informed on the situation on "Super X". I only heard it being brought up once or twice and then heard it was abandoned, so what I said was true, from a certain point of view I did not know much about the project at all because I didn't really get too involved with trying to figure out what it was and what information there was on it.
AeroMatter wrote:
SnifitGuy wrote:unless by some chance that Nintendo copyrighted the use of those names in any code whatsoever, lol.
You can't copyright words, and generic terms cannot be trademarked. It makes it so Nintendo doesn't own "Mario" but it does own "Super Mario Bros." It's best to scrub everything though because associating other generic terms like "Mario" and "Toad" and "Luigi" can bring up a case against you.
I know that you can't technically copyright words, honestly, considering how its a nonsense word used for an enemy in a Mario game, nobody would dare use it in their own projects. Also, if that is true, are you saying that Nintendo can copyright the phrase "Super Mario Bros" or the brand "Super Mario Bros"? Also, I guess I agree on the latter of your point, although it wouldn't have much to stand on considering how they are still generic terms/names and thus could very easily be dismissed as vague evidence that doesn't really support the argument that it's copyrighted. However, I do agree that it would still be best to remove any and all references to Nintendo's IPs so as to definitely avoid any problems (Unless for some random reason it is possible to use a project that had copyrighted material that was inspiration/prototype for another project later on, which I doubt is the case).

Re: The Global Announcement You've All Been Waiting For

Posted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 11:01 am
by Aero
"Super Mario Bros" is protected by trademark law, not copyright. "Mario" is a generic name, but "Super Mario Bros." is a distinct franchise protected by law.

To put it simply: copyright protects IP, and trademarks protect brands and terms.

Re: The Global Announcement You've All Been Waiting For

Posted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 2:06 am
by Artemis008
SnifitGuy wrote:
Joey wrote:Aero: Yeah, that's what we were going to do. The problem is that it simply hasn't happened.
Technically speaking, all the playable character's names (minus link) can stay because they aren't made up compared to Bowser, Goomba, Bullet Bill, etc. and therefore Nintendo does not own those names. I mean, you could change the graphics and it would legally be fine, unless by some chance that Nintendo copyrighted the use of those names in any code whatsoever, lol.
Just like what all those shitty Chinese bootlegs do.
I would rather have the names changed too so they wouldn't end up as Mario rip-offs.

Re: The Global Announcement You've All Been Waiting For

Posted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 2:01 am
by Aero
Joey's coming back soon. Hide the weed.

Re: The Global Announcement You've All Been Waiting For

Posted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 11:07 am
by SnifitGuy
AeroMatter wrote:Joey's coming back soon. Hide the weed.
I'll pay you $50 if you give me the last of the stash right now, even if it is only a gram...
Anyway, yey, jo.exe is cuming back from his jab...

Re: The Global Announcement You've All Been Waiting For

Posted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 7:11 pm
by FanofSMBX
Has there been any news on this? Because this isn't the first time Redigit's "returned", and with SMBX 2.0 and TI3 being worked on SMBX being opensource seems more important than ever.

Re: The Global Announcement You've All Been Waiting For

Posted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 8:21 pm
by Shadow Yoshi
No news, and there likely won't be any.

Horikawa mentioned to me (and probably publically) at one point that the source code is not really necessary to SMBX 2.0's development.

Re: The Global Announcement You've All Been Waiting For

Posted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 10:55 pm
by Danny
AeroMatter wrote:"Super Mario Bros" is protected by trademark law, not copyright. "Mario" is a generic name, but "Super Mario Bros." is a distinct franchise protected by law.

To put it simply: copyright protects IP, and trademarks protect brands and terms.
Off topic, but does anyone remember that time when King tried to put a copyright protection on the word "Candy" for Candy Crush Saga? I do. If that actually got pushed and allowed, do you know how many companies that would screw over?

Re: The Global Announcement You've All Been Waiting For

Posted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 8:13 am
by SnifitGuy
Joey wrote:No news, and there likely won't be any.

Horikawa mentioned to me (and probably publically) at one point that the source code is not really necessary to SMBX 2.0's development.
Is this because SMBX is alterable with .dll files and LunaLua? Sorry, but I'm a bit slow on as to how you were able to add things to SMBX and how you plan to add things without LunaLua scripts.

Re: The Global Announcement You've All Been Waiting For

Posted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 8:26 am
by Mable
King was allowed to copyright the word candy, in order to protect his game.. altough he later dropped it tho.

Re: The Global Announcement You've All Been Waiting For

Posted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 4:03 pm
by G-Boy
Joey wrote:No news, and there likely won't be any.

Horikawa mentioned to me (and probably publically) at one point that the source code is not really necessary to SMBX 2.0's development.
I suggest that this thread should be locked if there won't be more news.

Re: The Global Announcement You've All Been Waiting For

Posted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 4:22 pm
by HeroOfRhyme
i think you should leave the locking up to joey since thats what he is best at

Re: The Global Announcement You've All Been Waiting For

Posted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 4:43 pm
by Danny
Tinkerbell wrote:King was allowed to copyright the word candy, in order to protect his game.. altough he later dropped it tho.
They were never able to copyright the word I believe, at least they weren't able to in the U.S., I think they did in Europe? You can still screw everyone over.
HeroOfRhyme wrote:i think you should leave the locking up to joey since thats what he is best at
Image

Re: The Global Announcement You've All Been Waiting For

Posted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 4:47 pm
by HeroOfRhyme
lmao danny

Re: The Global Announcement You've All Been Waiting For

Posted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 5:03 pm
by SnifitGuy
Syndrilevosse wrote:
Tinkerbell wrote:King was allowed to copyright the word candy, in order to protect his game.. altough he later dropped it tho.
They were never able to copyright the word I believe, at least they weren't able to in the U.S., I think they did in Europe? You can still screw everyone over.
HeroOfRhyme wrote:i think you should leave the locking up to joey since thats what he is best at
Image
Anyone hear of the copyright over the term Pixels? There was a whole situation regarding that and a particular media sharing site, though I don't remember which one. Point is, every video with Pixels in the title was removed for copyright.

Re: The Global Announcement You've All Been Waiting For

Posted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 5:07 pm
by Danny
SnifitGuy wrote:Anyone hear of the copyright over the term Pixels? There was a whole situation regarding that and a particular media sharing site, though I don't remember which one. Point is, every video with Pixels in the title was removed for copyright.
I feel that this can garner discussion, so lets move it out of this thread.