I'm working on a new part of the website - what this part is won't be revealed yet, but I can assure you it's going to be awesome. What I need are some graphics...but not just any graphics.
I need screenshots of levels!
That's right, this is essentially a screenshot contest. However, due to the nature of this new part of the SMBX website, there are certain specifications that your screenshot must meet. Here's a list:
- Your screenshot must be 960 by 480 pixels. This is the equivalent of 30 blocks by 15 blocks.
- Your screenshot must wrap. This means that it would look like a continuous level if you were to place the same screenshot on either side (no cutoff, etc.). The backgrounds do not have to wrap.
- Your screenshot must use custom graphics. These CGFX preferably should be SMB3-styled, but if you want to try something different then go ahead. Please don't go overboard, though.
- Your screenshot cannot have playable characters or HUD elements in it.
- Your screenshot cannot show anything that is not possible with SMBX or the current X2 beta (this means no 38A stuff).
- Your screenshot shouldn't have a ton of stuff going on in it. Just the blocks, BGOs, and some NPCs will do, but feel free to make those things interesting.
- Your screenshot cannot use a fused background - this means no cave/sky, forest/sky, or desert/sky combos (or anything else that fits into that category).
- Your screenshot must fit into one of these categories:
- Cave (preferably with water of some sort, even just in the background)
- Cavern in the style of Metroid or another game
- Your screenshot must be submitted as a PNG.
- You must save your level - please do not delete your levels; you'll need them if your screenshot is accepted!
Here's an example of something that's the right size and has some examples of what to do and what not to do:
You are encouraged to submit multiple screenshots, but please only submit one screenshot per category unless your screens are substantially different (e.g. rainforest vs. autumn woods for the forest category). Submissions are open throughout this coming week and will probably continue after that depending on the amount of submissions and how much time all of you need. You can submit your screenshots to me via PM or by posting them in this thread.
I'm excited to see what you guys come up with! Some submissions may be automatically accepted, and some may be sent back for revisions. Be sure to save your levels after submitting screenshots of them! We'll need to account for background wrapping later on if your screenshot is accepted. Depending on the quality and amount of submissions, we will have anywhere from 0 to 25 winners. Your designs will be featured on a new part of the Super Mario Bros. X website for the world to see. Good luck!