Contest Judge Applications (winners announced!)

Topics about events/announcements that are no longer relevant.
User avatar
Mivixion
Grinder
Grinder
Posts: 1056
Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2014 2:44 pm

Contest Judge Applications (winners announced!)

Postby Mivixion » Sat Feb 11, 2017 9:01 pm

Spoiler: show
Hey everyone, it's your friendly neighborhood moderator dog here to let y'all know that a new official contest is coming up soon and we need judges! If you are interested in being a judge for this contest, please shoot me a PM with the following information:

-why you'd like to be judge
-what your opinion is on gameplay vs. aesthetics
-what you think makes a good level
-anything else you want me to know
Results: viewtopic.php?f=69&t=17837&p=258476#p258476

User avatar
Rhosty
Ludwig von Koopa
Ludwig von Koopa
Posts: 2527
Joined: Sun Dec 11, 2016 8:02 pm
Flair: squid kid

Re: Contest Judge Applications!!!

Postby Rhosty » Sat Feb 11, 2017 9:05 pm

Mivixion wrote:Hey everyone, it's your friendly neighborhood moderator dog here to let y'all know that a new official contest is coming up soon and we need judges! If you are interested in being a judge for this contest, please shoot me a PM with the following information:

-why you'd like to be judge
-what your opinion is on gameplay vs. aesthetics
-what you think makes a good level
-anything else you want me to know
I'm gonna get to this ASAP. I've been waiting for this opportunity!

User avatar
RSupertheGreat
Grinder
Grinder
Posts: 1058
Joined: Fri Oct 07, 2016 8:09 am
Flair: I'm the Unfounded Artist.
Contact:

Re: Contest Judge Applications!!!

Postby RSupertheGreat » Sat Feb 11, 2017 9:42 pm

Ayy, I will give a shot by a compose message.

Image
I rarely come here cus I preferred to be in Discord and anything outside of being in the forums.

The Untold Truth: show
Most people here don't assume my gender, feel free to use "they" and "them" as long as it doesn't refer to many people or something. But I'm of course a girl.
Imageyes i have g+ except its gonna get shut down soon rip
Best moments on Discord: show
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Linkopolis: show
ImageImageImageImage
Image
hi there signature reader

PixelPest
Link
Link
Posts: 7116
Joined: Sun Jul 12, 2015 5:38 pm
Flair: Tamer of Boom Booms
Contact:

Re: Contest Judge Applications!!!

Postby PixelPest » Sat Feb 11, 2017 10:06 pm

Finally. Wanted to do this for a while. Who will be going over these applications btw?

JupiHornet
Larry Koopa
Larry Koopa
Posts: 2466
Joined: Tue Sep 02, 2014 5:43 pm
Contact:

Re: Contest Judge Applications!!!

Postby JupiHornet » Sat Feb 11, 2017 10:39 pm

oh ye's
AeroMatter wrote: This post is ironic. These forums are ironic. My life is ironic.

If you want to talk to me, add me on Discord at JupiHornet#2897, or go to my Twitter page!
You can also check out my YouTube channel!
- PREVIOUSLY KNOWN AS TURTWIG -

User avatar
Mosaic
Ludwig von Koopa
Ludwig von Koopa
Posts: 2850
Joined: Fri Feb 27, 2015 8:07 pm
Flair: All has a reason behind it, even if it's tough.
Contact:

Re: Contest Judge Applications!!!

Postby Mosaic » Sat Feb 11, 2017 11:09 pm

Mivixion wrote:a new official contest
Wait, like CC13?

I believe in Jesus Christ as my Lord and Savior. If you do, put this in your signature.
And Here's The Proof
My Rainbow Of Levels
Mosaic's Museum(My Discord Server, where I update on my streams, writing, and anything else I may be up to.

Cancelled...but not forgotten...
Image

Image

Danny wrote:Here's some constructive criticism: What the hell.
Witchking wrote:Approved!

Discord Quotes: show
Image


User avatar
Fuyu
Wart
Wart
Posts: 3059
Joined: Sat Dec 21, 2013 2:40 pm

Re: Contest Judge Applications!!!

Postby Fuyu » Sat Feb 11, 2017 11:46 pm

MosaicMario wrote:
Mivixion wrote:a new official contest
Wait, like CC13?
No. CC, or Community Contest, are a series of contests hosted by Valtteri and Quill. This, however, is an attempt to bring official contests back by Mimivixion and Joey.
Image

User avatar
Rhosty
Ludwig von Koopa
Ludwig von Koopa
Posts: 2527
Joined: Sun Dec 11, 2016 8:02 pm
Flair: squid kid

Re: Contest Judge Applications!!!

Postby Rhosty » Sat Feb 11, 2017 11:50 pm

Intuition wrote:This, however, is an attempt to bring official contests back by Mimivixion and Joey.
I'll be glad if this works out, it's been quite some time since the last contest was held. If it works, it might attract more users to register here.

User avatar
MECHDRAGON777
Pink Yoshi Egg
Pink Yoshi Egg
Posts: 6307
Joined: Fri Dec 20, 2013 6:40 pm
Flair: Nuclear Queen of Reversion.
Contact:

Re: Contest Judge Applications!!!

Postby MECHDRAGON777 » Sun Feb 12, 2017 1:44 am

If it is CC13, great, but oh well. Will it be an episode? I would love to apply when I get to my PC again.

ImageImageImage
Image

Image

User avatar
HeroLinik
Cyan Yoshi Egg
Cyan Yoshi Egg
Posts: 3453
Joined: Fri Dec 20, 2013 1:28 pm
Contact:

Re: Contest Judge Applications!!!

Postby HeroLinik » Sun Feb 12, 2017 5:13 am

You know what? I'm gonna give this a shot.
I support: show
Lol, you got trolled. Move along, if you please.
YouTube channel

Moderator of the r/Pokemon Discord server since 2019.

User avatar
Cedur
Toad
Toad
Posts: 6494
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:14 am

Re: Contest Judge Applications!!!

Postby Cedur » Sun Feb 12, 2017 11:31 am

Interested.

And who's actually saying that CCs must always be hosted by Quill and Valtteri? Has it been like that from the very beginning? Aren't they a very general thing? Will CC13 be delayed until CC12's episode is finally finished?
Image
More Supports: show

Image
Image

Still using the legacy editor? Get SMBX2 and PGE, it will improve your experience significantly. Here's why. And remember, Yoshis are tools to be used and discarded.

ShadowStarX (06/14/18) wrote: South Korea is easy deal

User avatar
HeroLinik
Cyan Yoshi Egg
Cyan Yoshi Egg
Posts: 3453
Joined: Fri Dec 20, 2013 1:28 pm
Contact:

Re: Contest Judge Applications!!!

Postby HeroLinik » Sun Feb 12, 2017 11:41 am

Supershroom wrote:Interested.

And who's actually saying that CCs must always be hosted by Quill and Valtteri? Has it been like that from the very beginning? Aren't they a very general thing? Will CC13 be delayed until CC12's episode is finally finished?
No, it hasn't. Valtteri has only been the host since CC5 - before that it was NameUser/Ignoritus hosting them.
I support: show
Lol, you got trolled. Move along, if you please.
YouTube channel

Moderator of the r/Pokemon Discord server since 2019.

User avatar
Mivixion
Grinder
Grinder
Posts: 1056
Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2014 2:44 pm

Re: Contest Judge Applications!!!

Postby Mivixion » Sun Feb 12, 2017 11:43 am

It's not a CC but it will be official as in supported by SMBX staff.

Enjl
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg
Posts: 8741
Joined: Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:58 pm
Flair: Orphion Egamalenitar Osmos IV, Esq.

Re: Contest Judge Applications!!!

Postby Enjl » Sun Feb 12, 2017 1:06 pm

One thing I would really like to see in this new contest is a defined judging rubric that makes sense and every judge has to follow. Not only do rubrics (if done right) help visualise where the focus in the contest lies, but they also help prevent ridiculous scenarios where a judge docks or bumps the level's overall score because of a single aspect.
Ideas are useless if you can't make them real.
Image

User avatar
Cedur
Toad
Toad
Posts: 6494
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:14 am

Re: Contest Judge Applications!!!

Postby Cedur » Sun Feb 12, 2017 1:28 pm

Having a rubric can be grounds for arguing just as much as not having a rubric. If there's severe controversy on a level, the judges should speak with each other, and if they can't agree on anything, the host should have the final say on changing or scrubbing a judge's score.
Image
More Supports: show

Image
Image

Still using the legacy editor? Get SMBX2 and PGE, it will improve your experience significantly. Here's why. And remember, Yoshis are tools to be used and discarded.

ShadowStarX (06/14/18) wrote: South Korea is easy deal

Sorel
Bob-omb
Bob-omb
Posts: 39
Joined: Sun Feb 12, 2017 8:09 am

Re: Contest Judge Applications!!!

Postby Sorel » Sun Feb 12, 2017 1:47 pm

Doesn't change the fact that rubrics do help the contestants by giving them a feel for what's weighted the most.

Also, wouldn't it make much more sense to use rubrics everyone needs to adhere to for a more organised result? It's much easier to compare results when everyone has the same spread of points for the categories.
Insert overly long signature here

Enjl
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg
Posts: 8741
Joined: Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:58 pm
Flair: Orphion Egamalenitar Osmos IV, Esq.

Re: Contest Judge Applications!!!

Postby Enjl » Sun Feb 12, 2017 1:49 pm

Supershroom wrote:Having a rubric can be grounds for arguing just as much as not having a rubric. If there's severe controversy on a level, the judges should speak with each other, and if they can't agree on anything, the host should have the final say on changing or scrubbing a judge's score.
I disagree. Giving a level 10/10 points because of a single clever setup is a far greater topic than giving 6/6 in design for the exact same reason. The point of a rubric is that each aspect gets a distinct value assigned to it. If a judge's opinion "fucks over a level" in this case, it's far less severe than if they were free to modify the score as a whole.
Then again, there are of course more things that factor into this. Such as the judges being good, focused and thorough themselves. I think giving the levels a second go after the first playthrough to form a more solid and neutral opinion on them is a must. A rubric only makes finding that opinion easier.

On that topic, one might find the following helpful: take the middle between minimum and maximum score as your neutral value and view score below that as "-1, -2, -3" etc... and score above as "+1, +2, +3" etc... It's a small tool for judging that gives numbers a bit more value and meaning and might help in making scores more understandable and easier to find.

Anyway that detour aside... the judges don't have to agree on everything, that's ridiculous. We always have multiple judges BECAUSE each judge has their own opinion in what makes a level good. Some people are more generous than others, some more harsh. Controversy on a level can easily prevented if the judges actually talk to each other and tell the problem judge "hey uh that one score you got here... you should probably justify that better in your comment". If you just slap out your results all "lol let's see what happens" you're being lazy and show that no care was put into organising judging as a whole. And that's the point where resulting controversy is the organiser's fault.
Ideas are useless if you can't make them real.
Image

User avatar
Mivixion
Grinder
Grinder
Posts: 1056
Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2014 2:44 pm

Re: Contest Judge Applications!!!

Postby Mivixion » Sun Feb 12, 2017 1:53 pm

All this discussion about rubrics is interesting because that's heavily related to something we're trying out in this contest. We won't release details yet but that's going to be a big thing that separates this from standard CCs.

User avatar
Rhosty
Ludwig von Koopa
Ludwig von Koopa
Posts: 2527
Joined: Sun Dec 11, 2016 8:02 pm
Flair: squid kid

Re: Contest Judge Applications!!!

Postby Rhosty » Sun Feb 12, 2017 2:00 pm

Sorel wrote:Doesn't change the fact that rubrics do help the contestants by giving them a feel for what's weighted the most.

Also, wouldn't it make much more sense to use rubrics everyone needs to adhere to for a more organised result? It's much easier to compare results when everyone has the same spread of points for the categories.
Yeah, giving out guidelines and rubrics for judges to refer to would keep things snappy, if they were allowed to openly discuss with other judges about their opinions, all it would take is just one judge's opinion to cause a flamewar.

Enjl
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg
Posts: 8741
Joined: Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:58 pm
Flair: Orphion Egamalenitar Osmos IV, Esq.

Re: Contest Judge Applications!!!

Postby Enjl » Sun Feb 12, 2017 2:09 pm

practicalshorty014 wrote:
Sorel wrote:Doesn't change the fact that rubrics do help the contestants by giving them a feel for what's weighted the most.

Also, wouldn't it make much more sense to use rubrics everyone needs to adhere to for a more organised result? It's much easier to compare results when everyone has the same spread of points for the categories.
Yeah, giving out guidelines and rubrics for judges to refer to would keep things snappy, if they were allowed to openly discuss with other judges about their opinions, all it would take is just one judge's opinion to cause a flamewar.
Except judges ARE usually allowed to talk to other judges about why they rank a level the way they do, and if your judges are good they will respect that, maybe offer a new perspective, and lead to further mutual understanding of the levels, creating an even more thorough judging experience. Your judges will only cause an internal flamewar if they're childish.
Ideas are useless if you can't make them real.
Image


Return to “Events and Announcements”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests