Page 1 of 3

Have you been making positive posts?

Posted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 10:10 pm
by PixelPest
This is a really important issue that I've wanted to make an announcement about for a while since I believe it is very important. I'm not going to add much fluff to this because I want people to read it and understand it without being distracted by pointless information.

(This doesn't just concern the Levels forum, it happens in other forums too, but I'll draw my examples from there.)

Lately I've been noticing a significant number of posts that have had a very negative attitude towards people's creations, both on the forums and Discord. Sometimes it almost reaches flaming, and even when it doesn't, this just isn't respectful. It's important to think about when posting about content that people are sharing that they've worked hard to produce something that they're most likely proud of to a certain degree, whether they claim it or not, and when the first thing they see is someone just saying "what a bad level" and even making little anecdotes that put down their creation, how do you think that makes them feel?

How would it make you feel?

A lot of these members are newer members some with no more than a couple of posts, and they're greeted with some very harsh comments.

This is not to say that you shouldn't give constructive criticism, far from it actually, just keep the feelings of the person on the receiving end in mind. You don't have to sugarcoat everything you say but just remember that people have spent their time on what they've shared.

And yes, we're all guilty of sometimes ranting when we have a bad day (I've totally done this before), but before posting just take a step back and ask yourself these questions:

- Is my post kind and polite?
- Am I being respectful of what this person has created?
- What is the goal of my post?
- Do I make the community feel like an inviting, positive place to share creations?

Thank you for reading

Re: Have you been making positive posts?

Posted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 11:54 pm
by PROX
Thanks for this. And yeah, sometimes my posts can be a bit harsh at times, so yeah I definitely need to watch it sometimes.

Re: Have you been making positive posts?

Posted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 5:15 am
by P0le
Thanks for reminder, I'll try to be as respectful as I can too...

Re: Have you been making positive posts?

Posted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 5:33 am
by Eri7
I am not proud of my history because i was toxic but for my own personal reasons , now i am trying to change that and be more positive , i am happy that you made an announcement on the topic because more people might become more positive. Also please people , don't force criticism down our throat because it's "the right thing to do" because sometimes , criticism is subjective and sometimes , people like their stuff the way it is or in the rare cases , they don't know how exactly to improve it/fix it and i have seen people that give criticism but then don't explain how exactly to fix the problem and yeah , you don't have to explain how the other person could fix the problem when you give criticism please , do it when you can explain how to fix the problem because it's very , very helpful especially for people that are new to this game/community or people that sometimes , just need your help. Anyways , i hope we could change for the better (especially me) so we could have a better community.

Re: Have you been making positive posts?

Posted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 5:52 am
by DerEric
I can be really harsh sometimes,I know.

Re: Have you been making positive posts?

Posted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 6:31 am
by chuckster
Absolutely. There is a huge difference between being outright rude and giving legitimate criticism.

Re: Have you been making positive posts?

Posted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 8:06 am
by Core
Huge thanks for this topic. Im trying to be not harash, and positive as much as i can, but yeah, i will try to avoid beign harash/rude.

Re: Have you been making positive posts?

Posted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 8:14 am
by Electriking
We all know that things like 'this level is shit' or 'I hate your GFXs, quit making them' are anything but constructive, I would also not consider just listing negative points as constructive criticism either. You should explain what can be done to improve the level and talk about the positive things about the level. Criticism, by definition, involves talking about both the negative and positive points, and what should be done to improve.

Re: Have you been making positive posts?

Posted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 9:25 am
by migueeel
This is a smart post. Even if it isn't intentional, it calls out to the rising issue.

However I can't say much because I am barely active around hahaha

Re: Have you been making positive posts?

Posted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 6:09 pm
by Devan2002
In my opinion, 2017 and 2018 are the dark ages of the internet where people just have no remorse for doing shit things. Here's a few reasons:

1: As people who are getting smarter at level and world map designs for SMBX, they will frown upon those that haven't learned, some people take this to an extreme degree and just rant, acting like they think everyone should have known how to make a good level or world map, even when some people haven't gotten use to it (or they haven't played a lot of episodes and learn off of them, but in a way where it's not like they're stealing levels).

2. As more memes are created, they give reasons for people to hate others that support a meme that can be described as, "dead before it was even alive." This can just light the fuse of an argument bomb where the end result is like an actual nuke dropped somewhere and everyone is trying to hunt down this group in some sort of war. Sometimes I wonder if we're going to end up shitting the bed so hard we create World War 3 over the dumbest upon dumbest of reasons.

3. People are getting to act more negatively due to how popular things are going downhill, say Cartoon Network. The schedule (in America) is flooded with nothing but Teen Titans Go, a reboot that attempts to turn an action show into a comedy. The show ended up shitting the bed so hard managed to it hit rock bottom, the jokes are bland and/or stupid and lacking humor, they make references to games or history and then basically take a dump on it with false facts. I feel bad for any children that believe this nonsensical garbage, whether obvious or not. Either way, people on the internet rant on how this show, even to extents like involving Hitler or some other majorly infamous person as part of the terrible reboot.

Re: Have you been making positive posts?

Posted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 6:31 pm
by FireyPaperMario
Well yeah. I been making less posts on the forums quite recently. Trying to not be too mean with my criticism.

Re: Have you been making positive posts?

Posted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 6:44 pm
by PopYoshi
I think I never acted rude since I joined the forums (which is an achievement because that's one of my biggest problems: be aggresive and rude)

Re: Have you been making positive posts?

Posted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 6:52 pm
by PixelPest
MarioRPGExpert93 wrote:
Sat Sep 08, 2018 6:31 pm
Well yeah. I been making less posts on the forums quite recently. Trying to not be too mean with my criticism.
Your criticism should not be mean at all

Re: Have you been making positive posts?

Posted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 8:29 pm
by Tempest
I guess I still owe Enjl an apology after that Cape Feather post I made :/ I wasn't really thinking straight that day

Re: Have you been making positive posts?

Posted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 9:02 pm
by PopYoshi
Tempest wrote:
Sat Sep 08, 2018 8:29 pm
I guess I still owe Enjl an apology after that Cape Feather post I made :/ I wasn't really thinking straight that day
If you still owe him an apology what are you waiting for? go for it

Re: Have you been making positive posts?

Posted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 9:13 pm
by Tempest
PopYoshi wrote:
Sat Sep 08, 2018 9:02 pm
If you still owe him an apology what are you waiting for? go for it
Y'know, the whole social anxiety thing
I'll send him/her a message later, besides, I'm kinda busy to write anything that sounds reasonable now

Re: Have you been making positive posts?

Posted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 9:32 pm
by PopYoshi
Tempest wrote:
Sat Sep 08, 2018 9:13 pm
PopYoshi wrote:
Sat Sep 08, 2018 9:02 pm
If you still owe him an apology what are you waiting for? go for it
Y'know, the whole social anxiety thing
I'll send him/her a message later, besides, I'm kinda busy to write anything that sounds reasonable now
Good! you always have to apology when you do something wrong

... and it's "he"... I guess...
I'm still confused of the gender of some members like Quill, Aristo and (previously) Zlaker

Re: Have you been making positive posts?

Posted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 9:33 pm
by Enjl
Tempest wrote:
Sat Sep 08, 2018 9:13 pm
PopYoshi wrote:
Sat Sep 08, 2018 9:02 pm
If you still owe him an apology what are you waiting for? go for it
Y'know, the whole social anxiety thing
I'll send him/her a message later, besides, I'm kinda busy to write anything that sounds reasonable now
I don't even remember any cape feather post... Generally you can be as rude as you want towards me though. I'll probably have forgotten a week later or so. Grudges are lame and a waste of time and as long as a conversation is constructive I consider it a success.

Re: Have you been making positive posts?

Posted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 9:39 pm
by Tempest
Enjl wrote:
Sat Sep 08, 2018 9:33 pm
Tempest wrote:
Sat Sep 08, 2018 9:13 pm
PopYoshi wrote:
Sat Sep 08, 2018 9:02 pm
If you still owe him an apology what are you waiting for? go for it
Y'know, the whole social anxiety thing
I'll send him/her a message later, besides, I'm kinda busy to write anything that sounds reasonable now
I don't even remember any cape feather post... Generally you can be as rude as you want towards me though. I'll probably have forgotten a week later or so. Grudges are lame and a waste of time and as long as a conversation is constructive I consider it a success.
Oh, ok. But yeah, still, my bad.

Re: Have you been making positive posts?

Posted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 11:02 pm
by arcade999
I remember that not so long ag, it was common for me to see posts such ''the backgound looks bad'' or ''the (random object in the scenary) clash''... end of the message.

No constructivity, just a mean complain, sometime only focusing on one point rather than making an overall critique.
Some of these people were even, at some points justifying themselves by saying it's ''just criticism'', basically giving them a fallacious and silly reason to be mean and taking any complain about their behavoir as an attack on freedom of speech or something. Note that this last point did not happen so oftenly, and sometme simply at some specific spots.

^I'm not naming any names, any time period or any event. I'm just saying these are things I did see.