SMBX2 PAL Release - Feedback, Questions and Bugs here!

Topics about events/announcements that are no longer relevant.
Hoeloe
Kamikaze Koopa
Kamikaze Koopa
Flair: The Codehaus Girl

Re: SMBX2 MAGLX3 Release - Feedback, Questions and Bugs here!

Postby Hoeloe » Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:27 am

Zzblast wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 3:39 am
Can someone please explain what bowser does?

All I've been able to notice is when he kills something it follows him, and pops up in his item box. Is that all they do? Just follow him around?
If you hit the Drop Item button, you can change their order. If you hit Tanooki, you can "send out" the first enemy in the list as a friendly ally.

Zzblast
Goomba
Goomba
Flair: Zz

Postby Zzblast » Thu Apr 18, 2019 4:39 pm

Thank you! ^^

Added in 3 minutes 27 seconds:
So- In Multiplayer, can only player 1 be the new characters? And player 2 is stuck with the original five? I'm just wondering if I'm dumb, and there is a way for player 2 to be the new characters as well.

Hoeloe
Kamikaze Koopa
Kamikaze Koopa

Postby Hoeloe » Thu Apr 18, 2019 4:44 pm

Zzblast wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 4:42 pm
Thank you! ^^

Added in 3 minutes 27 seconds:
So- In Multiplayer, can only player 1 be the new characters? And player 2 is stuck with the original five? I'm just wondering if I'm dumb, and there is a way for player 2 to be the new characters as well.
Currently, only player 1 will work properly with the new characters, and won't always behave well with the original 5 as player 2 either. The new characters don't really work well at all in 2 player mode, though that is something we want to solve in beta 5.

Quantumenace
Ripper II
Ripper II

Postby Quantumenace » Thu Apr 18, 2019 7:53 pm

Hoeloe wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 5:35 am
Quantumenace wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:22 pm
Upon testing checkpoints, they don't actually reset if you die and enter another level. The code saves the level path, but never actually compares the saved path to the current level like it did in multipoints. Is that intentional?
Yep. This is intentional. They reset if you beat the level or quit the game, more like how they worked in SMW.
Wow, I never even noticed Mario World was like that. Sounds like that's something that should be noted somewhere, though, since the old checkpoints did not work that way. Is that the official agreed-on behavior for future versions or is it subject to change?

Murphmario
Larry Koopa
Larry Koopa

Postby Murphmario » Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:15 pm

Does anyone know how to increase the amount of time a Graf can travel horizontally or vertically without increasing it's speed?

Also Grafs with blocktop=1 don't carry the player with them. You sorta just slide off.
Now taking graphics requests:
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1urWpFq ... #responses

My graphics pack:
http://www.supermariobrosx.org/forums/v ... t=1960/url

Really tempted to just make a general graphics thread for all of my graphics instead of just making individual threads for each of them.

Enjl
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg
Flair: Orphion Egamalenitar Osmos IV, Esq.

Postby Enjl » Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:55 pm

Murphmario wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:15 pm
Does anyone know how to increase the amount of time a Graf can travel horizontally or vertically without increasing it's speed?

Also Grafs with blocktop=1 don't carry the player with them. You sorta just slide off.
1) Grafs are defined by parabolic functions, so by adjusting the individual values in the function you can manipulate how long it travels in a certain manner and by how much the movement should be scaled.

2) blocktop is not a valid npc code. Have you tried playerblocktop?
Ideas are useless if you can't make them real.

Murphmario
Larry Koopa
Larry Koopa

Postby Murphmario » Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:32 pm

Enjl wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:55 pm
Murphmario wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:15 pm

1) Grafs are defined by parabolic functions, so by adjusting the individual values in the function you can manipulate how long it travels in a certain manner and by how much the movement should be scaled.

2) blocktop is not a valid npc code. Have you tried playerblocktop?
1. As someone who's math skills aren't really the best, could I maybe have an example please? Googling "Parabolic func

2. That's what I meant, yeah. Modified the Graf Lua file to make a new NPC, to be more specific.

My graphics pack:

Really tempted to just make a general graphics thread for all of my graphics instead of just making individual threads for each of them.

Hoeloe
Kamikaze Koopa
Kamikaze Koopa

Postby Hoeloe » Fri Apr 19, 2019 4:41 am

Murphmario wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:32 pm
As someone who's math skills aren't really the best, could I maybe have an example please? Googling "Parabolic func
Enjl meant "parametric" functions, not parabolic. It basically means a function that instead of being written like: y = f(x), it's written x = f(t), y = g(t).

Essentially, you want to describe how the x and y position change over time, where the variable t contains the current time value. For example, to make a graf move in a straight line, you can simply do x = t, y = 0.

And please do NOT modify Lua files in your install, that will just lead to breaking your version. If you just want to make a few tweaks, you can use npc-#.txt files (which can be used to add playerblocktop settings). If you absolutely do need to make a new NPC (which is only if you need to do actual modification to the Lua behaviour), you should make a copy of the Lua file in your level folder, adjust the IDs to be within the range 751-1000, and (unless the npc file you copied was named npc-#.lua, in which case you change the filename to your desired ID) load it yourself.

Murphmario
Larry Koopa
Larry Koopa

Postby Murphmario » Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:03 am

Hoeloe wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 4:41 am
Murphmario wrote:
As someone who's math skills aren't really the best, could I maybe have an example please? Googling "Parabolic func
Enjl meant "parametric" functions, not parabolic. It basically means a function that instead of being written like: y = f(x), it's written x = f(t), y = g(t).

Essentially, you want to describe how the x and y position change over time, where the variable t contains the current time value. For example, to make a graf move in a straight line, you can simply do x = t, y = 0.

And please do NOT modify Lua files in your install, that will just lead to breaking your version. If you just want to make a few tweaks, you can use npc-#.txt files (which can be used to add playerblocktop settings). If you absolutely do need to make a new NPC (which is only if you need to do actual modification to the Lua behaviour), you should make a copy of the Lua file in your level folder, adjust the IDs to be within the range 751-1000, and (unless the npc file you copied was named npc-#.lua, in which case you change the filename to your desired ID) load it yourself.
I didn't modify the Lua file in my install. I copied the file, which is probably a waste of space considering I could have just done that all this time. Oops.

Anyways, thank for the help. One more question though: Is there anyway to modify how far a Graf moves without changing the speed value?

My graphics pack:

Enjl
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg

Postby Enjl » Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:19 am

Murphmario wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:03 am
Hoeloe wrote:
Murphmario wrote:

I didn't modify the Lua file in my install. I copied the file, which is probably a waste of space considering I could have just done that all this time. Oops.

Anyways, thank for the help. One more question though: Is there anyway to modify how far a Graf moves without changing the speed value?
Take the example hoeloe wrote:
x = t, y = 0
t is a variable for the time since the graf spawned.
So to double a graf's speed:
x = t * 2, y = 0
Experiment with these functions yourself:
https://www.gcalcd.com/calculator/graphing/parametric/

Murphmario
Larry Koopa
Larry Koopa

Postby Murphmario » Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:37 am

Enjl wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:19 am
Murphmario wrote:
Hoeloe wrote:

Take the example hoeloe wrote:
x = t, y = 0
t is a variable for the time since the graf spawned.
So to double a graf's speed:
x = t * 2, y = 0
Experiment with these functions yourself:
https://www.gcalcd.com/calculator/graphing/parametric/
Murphmario wrote:
Also the site is interesting, but I'm not sure how much it would help seeing as how it probably has features that Grafs don't have.

My graphics pack:

Enjl
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg

Postby Enjl » Fri Apr 19, 2019 10:15 am

I thought by speed value you meant the npc config value for speed.

Also you can figure out when the site has something grafs don't have whenever your attempts at importing it fail. That said, grafs have access to the lua math library so your needs should be covered... https://www.tutorialspoint.com/lua/lua_ ... ibrary.htm

Gabriel09213535
Goomba
Goomba
Flair: friendship

Postby Gabriel09213535 » Fri Apr 19, 2019 10:18 am

my gif2png opens but then closes alone, what do I need to do to make it work?

Enjl
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg

Postby Enjl » Fri Apr 19, 2019 12:13 pm

Gabriel09213535 wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 10:18 am
my gif2png opens but then closes alone, what do I need to do to make it work?

Murphmario
Larry Koopa
Larry Koopa

Postby Murphmario » Fri Apr 19, 2019 2:30 pm

Alright. Managed to slow down the speed of the Graf. The only problem now is that anything that lands on top of a Blocktop Graf ends up not having their X-Position changed alongside the Graf like most other platforms, and as a result, they fall off.

Edit: Attach to layer doesn't work either. The attached platforms simply doesn't move with the NPC.

My graphics pack:

Flo2912
Goomba
Goomba

Postby Flo2912 » Fri Apr 19, 2019 3:26 pm

Seems, that when I set the main area of the level to one way scrolling and the enter a sub-area and go back to the main-area, wood platform (SMB 3 style) on tracks later in the level just disappear.

quite a strange bug...

Penguin998
Cheep-Cheep
Cheep-Cheep
Flair: Smbx is better than super mario bros

Postby Penguin998 » Fri Apr 19, 2019 4:33 pm

Westretroman wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:42 pm
Penguin998 wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:01 pm
Westretroman wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 5:47 pm

Try installing the vcredist found in your SMBX folder,
64x for if you have a 64x computer, 86x for 32x. If not, install Microsoft's Visual C++ Redistributable 2017 to fix it.
tried both but putting the vcredist 2017 into the folder did nothing
Did you try double clicking vcredist 2017 to install it? Putting it into the folder isn't going to help anyway since it's a installer.
EDIT: My bad, try vcredist 2015. It should fix the problem. Remember to install it by double-clicking it and reply once you've got MAGLX3 up.
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/downloa ... x?id=52685
do i put it in the folder after i install it by double clicking?

Westretroman
Nipper Plant
Nipper Plant

Postby Westretroman » Fri Apr 19, 2019 7:11 pm

Penguin998 wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 4:33 pm
Westretroman wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:42 pm
Penguin998 wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:01 pm

tried both but putting the vcredist 2017 into the folder did nothing
Did you try double clicking vcredist 2017 to install it? Putting it into the folder isn't going to help anyway since it's a installer.
EDIT: My bad, try vcredist 2015. It should fix the problem. Remember to install it by double-clicking it and reply once you've got MAGLX3 up.
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/downloa ... x?id=52685
do i put it in the folder after i install it by double clicking?
No, you just install it.

Quantumenace
Ripper II
Ripper II

Postby Quantumenace » Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:33 pm

Murphmario wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 2:30 pm
Alright. Managed to slow down the speed of the Graf. The only problem now is that anything that lands on top of a Blocktop Graf ends up not having their X-Position changed alongside the Graf like most other platforms, and as a result, they fall off.

Edit: Attach to layer doesn't work either. The attached platforms simply doesn't move with the NPC.
Try adding this to the npc txt file:

setpos=0

That's a special option that actually uses NPC speed instead of setting its x and y directly. I don't know why it isn't the default, there might be some drawback.

Murphmario
Larry Koopa
Larry Koopa

Postby Murphmario » Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:53 pm

Quantumenace wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:33 pm
Murphmario wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 2:30 pm

Try adding this to the npc txt file:

setpos=0

That's a special option that actually uses NPC speed instead of setting its x and y directly. I don't know why it isn't the default, there might be some drawback.
That worked, thanks!

My graphics pack:

Return to “Events and Announcements”