MaGL X2 Planning Thread! Please be civil Σ( ̄□ ̄|||)

Topics about events/announcements that are no longer relevant.

?

Flarn
52%
Breen
48%

Total votes: 23
Horikawa Otane
Lakitu
Lakitu

MaGL X2 Planning Thread! Please be civil Σ( ̄□ ̄|||)

Postby Horikawa Otane » Mon Jan 05, 2015 3:32 pm

So, since I was recently crowned Queen for another year (maybe my last idk), I'll be making and maintaining this year's planning thread. This thread will run approximately a month and I welcome input from everyone and anyone in order to make this year's MaGL that much better than last year's!

This year, because I believe MaGL X can, and should, be an event to build bridges between our two communities, I'm reaching out for input from you guys as well! I'm very interested in your feedback here or in the original thread =).

I would like to point out that the most constructive criticism is that which gives examples.

ANYWAY, here's the stuff I have so far that I'm willing to make public at this point in time (there's some behind the scene stuff):
Spoiler: show
  • Distribution: A2XT with SMBX 1.3.0.1 graphics, music, and sound.
    LunaDLL: Allowed
    Gimmick: Random Names and Characters
    • Essentially, the same thing I set up last year, except with more name variety and you will also get two random (3 in easy difficulty) playable characters (peach, link, etc). You must use one, or both, or all. You cannot use characters you didn't receive and you can sacrifice two points to guarantee you don't get a single character. Filters will be added (via LunaDLL or in-hub) so that the player must play as the designed-around character.
      You can mulligan one (either name or character set) for a -3 penalty or both for a -5 penalty. +2 for Hard, +1 for Normal, +0 for Easy.
    Scoring Rubric (out of 100):
    • Uniqueness: 20 points
      Fun Factor: 40 points
      • Personal Fun Factor: 20 points
        How much fun you think someone else will have with this level: 20 points
      Music: 10 points
      Graphical Choices: 10 points
      Use of Character: 10 points
      Adherence to the Level Name: 10 points
    Extra World: Yes
    Other Information:
    • All judges will provide 1-3 sentence level reactions, which will all be included.
Announcements!
  • Deadline of two weeks (1/19) on hub designer applications!
  • Removed bonus for the use of all handed-out characters in a single level, added option to guarantee you don't get a single character
  • Scoring rubric updated with fun factor broken down into two subcategories
  • I have, thus far, confirmed one other judge. I wanted to make sure we got a judge from the SMBX forums because I think MaGL can, and should, be a community-building event for the two of our now-intertwined groups of level designers. Last year I got Ignoritus and, though he did an incredible job (being the only canon judge =P), I would prefer not to use the same group of judges year to year. Thus, I am pleased to announce that Quill will be judging this year's competition alongside myself and one other.
On finding the third judge
  • As per last year, I think one reason MaGL X was such an incredible success was that we had a range of judge ability in the levels. If all of your judges are incredible at the engine (not designing, but playing), then obviously levels of easier difficulty, which might shine to less experienced players, are generally going to be uninteresting. If you have judges who are all terrible at the engine (again, playing, not designing), then the reverse will happen. I want to represent the opinions of a wide variety of play levels and encourage broad appeal to discourage levels like Zyglrox Odyssey's kaizo level in the recent SMBX community contest (sorry Zyglrox, it's a good example!) or, of course, the now-infamous Koopa Devil Mansion.

I am not skilled with the engine from a gameplay perspective. Quill is quite talented. I want someone middling for the remaining judge. The ideal candidate will be average at SMBX gameplay (knowledge of the engine from a design perspective a plus), able to play around 150+ levels in the confines of about two months, and able to generate reactions to said levels between 1-3 sentences. Either talkhaus, SMBX, or other community is fine.

If you're interested, please apply to be a judge!
On finding the hub designer
  • What I'm looking at for a hub is something unique. Talkhaus is best known as being really quite bizarre in our collective tastes and I want to reflect that. Last year this took the form of the Yacht of Opinions.

I am thinking this year of doing something based loosely on the 'parkour run on the city' theme found in a level of A2XT, running across buildings and then going in various department stores, etc. for the various hub worlds. I'm not settled on this theme, mind you, so I'm extremely interested in opinions.

The ideal hub designer would be able to design graphics as necessary and build and test a hub within a month.

If you're interested, please apply to be a hub designer!

What I am looking for now is input on the hub, the gimmick, a hub designer, and one more judge as outlined above. I have ultimate say, of course, but I'm super receptive to suggestions.

Oh and stuff you'd want to see in the post-game. I have an idea that I have in motion that should top last year if all works out, BUT I DO want to hear what people WANT to see. I may blend ideas.

(or just talk about hype or whatever you want, really lol)
Last edited by Horikawa Otane on Tue Jan 06, 2015 2:05 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Shadow Yoshi
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Re: MaGL X2 Planning Thread! Please be civil Σ( ̄□ ̄|||)

Postby Shadow Yoshi » Mon Jan 05, 2015 4:20 pm

Made this a global announcement, and I encourage everyone to participate.

Horikawa Otane
Lakitu
Lakitu

Postby Horikawa Otane » Mon Jan 05, 2015 4:36 pm

Joey wrote:Made this a global announcement, and I encourage everyone to participate.
Thanks! Also, I'm just going to go ahead and clarify - this isn't the 'participation' thread, it's the 'planning and feedback' thread. The 'participation' thread will likely be the first of February and I hope that can be made global here as well =D.

h2643
Ludwig von Koopa
Ludwig von Koopa
Flair: Украинец
Current Project: RL
Chat Username: h/hnumbers

Postby h2643 » Mon Jan 05, 2015 4:42 pm

This is great, I will participate in this when I will be able to.

Uzendayo
Kamikaze Koopa
Kamikaze Koopa
Current Project: I don't even know anymore

Postby Uzendayo » Mon Jan 05, 2015 5:15 pm

Will there only be one hub designer?
I placed 18th in CC8,
I placed 8th in CC11, and I
Won 1st in the First Vanilla Level Competition
┬┴┬┴┤(・_├┬┴┬┴┬┴┬┴┤(・_├┬┴┬┴┬┴┬┴┤(・_├┬┴┬┴┬┴┬┴┤(・_├┬┴┬┴┬┴┬┴┤(・_├┬┴┬┴
You might know me as Epoch
STOP INSTIGATING
STOP INSTIGATING
STOP INSTIGATING
STOP INSTIGATING

Choco
Nipper Plant
Nipper Plant
Current Project: TBA

Postby Choco » Mon Jan 05, 2015 5:16 pm

I am thinking of applying for the third judge. What do you check more often, talkhaus or e-mail?
I'm that guy that you may or may not know who basically died a few months back and decided to exist again.
99.9% of everyone that is on this forum have a sig. If you're part of the 0.1% that doesn't, put this in your- Oh, shoot!

MECHDRAGON777
Pink Yoshi Egg
Pink Yoshi Egg
Flair: Nuclear Queen of Reversion.
Current Project: http://www.supermariobrosx.org/forums/v ... 9&start=10
Chat Username: 鬼人 正邪

Postby MECHDRAGON777 » Mon Jan 05, 2015 5:32 pm

I meet all requirements for judge and think I would be a good judge, minus the fact I find my self a pro a playing the engine!

ImageImageImage

Horikawa Otane
Lakitu
Lakitu

Postby Horikawa Otane » Mon Jan 05, 2015 6:19 pm

I have been convinced to change the rubric slightly.

Now, "Fun Factor" is broken up into two subcategories - 20 points for personal fun factor and 20 points for how much fun you think someone else would have with the level in question.

MistakesWereMade
Boom Boom
Boom Boom

Postby MistakesWereMade » Mon Jan 05, 2015 6:27 pm

i'd happily apply for the hub designer, but i'm not familiarized with talkhaus's sense of humor (since mine is a bit uh...racist/offensive/mocking) and there's going to be like 23234234 levels, but anyway, i look forward to this contest, i'm actually encouraged to make a level for it now.

give link as character pls

TLtimelord
Red Yoshi Egg
Red Yoshi Egg
Flair: Info under raps
Current Project: A quirky lil episode
Chat Username: Augustus

Postby TLtimelord » Mon Jan 05, 2015 6:27 pm

I personally regret not participating in MaGLX so I'm definitely signing up this time around.
In an age of darkness light appears
And it wards away the ancient fears
March to the anthem of the heart
To a brand new day, a brand new start

Horikawa Otane
Lakitu
Lakitu

Postby Horikawa Otane » Mon Jan 05, 2015 6:30 pm

First a note - helping with the hub does not preclude you from participating in the competition. Judging does.
Choco wrote:I am thinking of applying for the third judge. What do you check more often, talkhaus or e-mail?
I check talkhaus more often than email.
Epoch wrote:Will there only be one hub designer?
I'm certainly open to more than one if we get two or more people who can work well together!
Nien wrote:i'd happily apply for the hub designer, but i'm not familiarized with talkhaus's sense of humor (since mine is a bit uh...racist/offensive/mocking) and there's going to be like 23234234 levels, but anyway, i look forward to this contest, i'm actually encouraged to make a level for it now.

Link will be handed out randomly =). Send me a PM for the hub!
MECHDRAGON777 wrote:I meet all requirements for judge and think I would be a good judge, minus the fact I find my self a pro a playing the engine!
Sadly, I feel the need for a middling player. Maybe next year when, whoever runs it, will likely be looking for another SMBX forum representative (I hope anyway)! At the very least I hope to see your entry!
TNTtimelord wrote:I personally regret not participating in MaGLX so I'm definitely signing up this time around.
Aww, no problem! Plenty of time this time around! Image

MECHDRAGON777
Pink Yoshi Egg
Pink Yoshi Egg
Flair: Nuclear Queen of Reversion.
Current Project: http://www.supermariobrosx.org/forums/v ... 9&start=10
Chat Username: 鬼人 正邪

Postby MECHDRAGON777 » Mon Jan 05, 2015 6:36 pm

Nien wrote:i'd happily apply for the hub designer, but i'm not familiarized with talkhaus's sense of humor (since mine is a bit uh...racist/offensive/mocking) and there's going to be like 23234234 levels, but anyway, i look forward to this contest, i'm actually encouraged to make a level for it now.

I want to be given Rosalina just as bad as you want link I not more! And good luck nien!

ImageImageImage

Choco
Nipper Plant
Nipper Plant

Postby Choco » Mon Jan 05, 2015 7:16 pm

Horikawa Otane wrote:First a note - helping with the hub does not preclude you from participating in the competition. Judging does.
Choco wrote:I am thinking of applying for the third judge. What do you check more often, talkhaus or e-mail?
MECHDRAGON777 wrote:I meet all requirements for judge and think I would be a good judge, minus the fact I find my self a pro a playing the engine!
Sadly, I feel the need for a middling player. Maybe next year when, whoever runs it, will likely be looking for another SMBX forum representative (I hope anyway)! At the very least I hope to see your entry!
is middling player

Anyway, I'll send you the details in a PM over on talkhaus. Hope you accept me as the SMBX representative!
I'm that guy that you may or may not know who basically died a few months back and decided to exist again.
99.9% of everyone that is on this forum have a sig. If you're part of the 0.1% that doesn't, put this in your- Oh, shoot!

TLtimelord
Red Yoshi Egg
Red Yoshi Egg
Flair: Info under raps
Current Project: A quirky lil episode
Chat Username: Augustus

Postby TLtimelord » Mon Jan 05, 2015 8:36 pm

Choco wrote:
Horikawa Otane wrote:First a note - helping with the hub does not preclude you from participating in the competition. Judging does.
is middling player

Anyway, I'll send you the details in a PM over on talkhaus. Hope you accept me as the SMBX representative!
I believe Quill is technically our SMBX representative as a judge.
In an age of darkness light appears
And it wards away the ancient fears
March to the anthem of the heart
To a brand new day, a brand new start

Choco
Nipper Plant
Nipper Plant

Postby Choco » Mon Jan 05, 2015 8:37 pm

He said it would be him, Quill, and someone from SMBX... that's kinda what I meant.

Superiorstar
Larry Koopa
Larry Koopa
Current Project: Maybe a level for a change
Chat Username: ♧◇Superiorstar♡♤8812

Postby Superiorstar » Mon Jan 05, 2015 9:10 pm

Sorry I may sound like an idiot but...
What does MaGL stand for?
ImageImage

One day, we will paint with our minds.
it's been a minute since I've cared about this place, I'll have to do some catching up
If there is a 999 limit on characters, what's the limit on images?

BlimpFruit
Bit
Bit

Postby BlimpFruit » Mon Jan 05, 2015 9:21 pm

Make A Good Level.
Not a dash pepper.
Mafia Achievements:
I support:

Superiorstar
Larry Koopa
Larry Koopa
Current Project: Maybe a level for a change
Chat Username: ♧◇Superiorstar♡♤8812

Postby Superiorstar » Mon Jan 05, 2015 9:33 pm

BlimpFruit wrote:Make A Good Level.
Oh yeah I think I remember the first one.
So this is a contest right?
ImageImage

One day, we will paint with our minds.
it's been a minute since I've cared about this place, I'll have to do some catching up
If there is a 999 limit on characters, what's the limit on images?

JupiHornet
Larry Koopa
Larry Koopa

Postby JupiHornet » Mon Jan 05, 2015 9:35 pm

OOOOH MAGL X 2 :O
Since CC11 isn't until July I might as well join this. I doubt I can judge it though, because school. Too bad this isn't in the summer ;-;
AeroMatter wrote: This post is ironic. These forums are ironic. My life is ironic.

If you want to talk to me, add me on Discord at JupiHornet#2897, or go to my Twitter page!
You can also check out my YouTube channel!
- PREVIOUSLY KNOWN AS TURTWIG -

Horikawa Otane
Lakitu
Lakitu

Postby Horikawa Otane » Mon Jan 05, 2015 9:57 pm

Choco wrote:He said it would be him, Quill, and someone from SMBX... that's kinda what I meant.
She, actually.

Right now it's me (from talkhaus), Quill (from SMBX forums), and one other. This third person can be from any community.

Return to “Events and Announcements”