RoundPiplup's Levels Board (Released Lava Contest Level)

Share your own SMBX levels and play others' too.
RoundPiplup
Grinder
Grinder

RoundPiplup's Levels Board (Released Lava Contest Level)

Postby RoundPiplup » Tue Aug 16, 2016 9:02 pm

Welcome to my Levels Board. Here you can enjoy levels and say stuff about it, and then play some more as more levels are reviews, or after a certain amount of contests ends.

Anyways, here are some things: The levels below will be placed in the following order:

"LEVEL TITLE" (LENGTH OF LEVEL) (ANY EXTRAS)
In Spoilers: Small description, a single image, and the download link below the image.

Enjoy I guess.

SET 1: 2015 Levels:

Blueish Cave with Lava (Short):
Spoiler: show
It's blue, I think. Well, the majority of it is.
Imagehttps://www.dropbox.com/s/pb8av4n8ha2r9 ... a.zip?dl=0
Thank you AeroMatter for playing this level.

Just Brambles with Posion Poison (Short):
This is the "project version" of the scrapped project. Not the Brambles Contest version or the third version (don't ask about the third version)
Imagehttps://www.dropbox.com/s/rbqoiw7pxdsq0 ... n.zip?dl=0 I think I forgot to fix the NPCs' effects though.

Even then, there can always be some levels that were made in the 2016.

SET 2: 2016 Levels

Revenge of Brambles with Poison Water (Somewhat Short)(the non-project(?) edition)(REVIEW PENDING):
The non-project version of a level that will take part in Super Mario Country. It'll probably be the only level that I'll publicly publish that will be part of SMC(before it's release). Also, this level isn't the same as "Just Brambles with Poison."
Imagehttps://www.dropbox.com/s/tclydlbtj7q4o ... r.zip?dl=0
(Recently New) Further into the Hatred Lavafields (About Medium) (Considered Difficult) (Scored 7.28/10 from Lava Level Contest):
It's the 2016 version of my Hatred Lavafields series. Enough said, this level is filled with loads of lava... And many dangers of some sort.
There are also some extras included, such as what other music files I might ended up picking, and the Contest Version and Aftermath version being included.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/br4rk4b4pvksa ... s.zip?dl=0
Last edited by RoundPiplup on Sun Aug 21, 2016 12:17 pm, edited 11 times in total.
The Past still haunts me.

Aero
Palom
Palom
Flair: Pirate economy
Chat Username: aero

Re: RoundPiplup's Scrapped Ideas

Postby Aero » Fri Aug 19, 2016 5:43 pm

Review of Blueish Cave with Lava LIVE:

CynicHost
Level Reviewer
Level Reviewer
Flair: heck

Postby CynicHost » Fri Aug 19, 2016 11:39 pm

Review of Just Brambles with Posion by RoundPiplup

This level is a prickly swamp filled with poisonous water, vine-covered trees and jungle creatures. Nice touch there with replacing coins with bananas - gives the level an unfamiliar and unique feel, which I assume you were trying to do.

I really liked this level’s atmosphere - the calm music fit in nicely with the rest of the level, it was really immersive. The background was alright, but at times I felt it clashed a little and made it difficult to see things. This wasn’t usually a problem though, as the NPC’s generally stood out among the level. And sometimes, the background looked great, such as this part set higher up:
There was a decent variety of enemies throughout the level with different mechanics. I knew right away what they replaced when I first saw them, so I knew what to expect, which is a good thing because there was no confusion or unpredictability, making for a relaxing jungle experience.

I thought that most of the gfx blended in great with the level. The grass tileset that you used doesn’t really “flow” well from tile to tile and looks clunky. It’s a shame, really, because it ruins nice decoration features like this - see what I mean?

I especially liked the way you used the brambles, although I was expecting them more to be obstacles as they do hurt you, whereas in most areas they just seemed like decoration. They do look nice, though (aside from a VERY minor cutoff):

Yeah, sorta nitpicky but I felt it was worth mentioning.

The BGO’s and NPC’s were well placed, I definitely didn’t feel like the level was bland or flat at all. It truly felt alive. The only thing I could complain about here is the visible lack of freedom in the level. I occasionally felt like the design itself was hindering me. I get that you might have been trying to create something linear and bound, but I found myself feeling cramped in sections such as these:
I recommend making the level a bit more open so it’ll feel less obstructed.

Anyway, this is a pretty good level that is definitely worth playing. There are issues here and there, but overall I found it enjoyable to play. The level is short, taking about 3 minutes to beat (that’s pretty much it, as I didn’t find any secrets).

This level gets a 6.5/10

Keep up the good work!

P.S. It’s poison, not posion. You may want to fix that.

RoundPiplup
Grinder
Grinder

Postby RoundPiplup » Sat Aug 20, 2016 11:40 am

Thanks for the review, even if it's one of my old levels. I think my third version of it is better (well, in terms of what I read so far).
The Past still haunts me.

The Thwomp King
Kamikaze Koopa
Kamikaze Koopa
Current Project: Super Mario Country

Re: RoundPiplup's Levels Board (Released Lava Contest Level)

Postby The Thwomp King » Sun Aug 21, 2016 5:35 pm

Revenge of Brambles with Poison Water

The music used is always perfect for a bramble level that utilizes DKC NPCs and a recolored version of the bramble background. Point being you generated the bramble level atmosphere from DKC2, and that's awesome. You limit your visual palette to be mostly green, purple and shades of brown, and frankly it all blends well together. With the amount of bgos you actually used, you definitely could've done more with the bramble bgos like have them turn in different directions rather than have them all in simple straight lines with one sharp turn here and there. They're a pain to work with, but I personally found it very rewarding when I went the extra mile and did this with my CC12 entry. The other thing with the bramble bgos is they should be recolored to look like the other dark green bgos. Coin placement is kinda inconsistent where you'll see a bunch in an area, and then go a while without seeing any at all. NPC placement is pretty good with exception to the green zingers in some of the areas. They'll move through some of the blocks, and their rapid movement does cause some really good timing with jumps. This mainly applies to the green zingers that are in areas where you're climbing vines. There is some NPC spam in some locations where not having the fire flower will almost guarantee a hit on you as shown with a Krook, a chomp generator, and a couple others hanging out. The overall gameplay is smooth despite these NPC placements, and the challenge is enjoyable with nothing else feeling unfair about it. I personally like the chomp generator after the check point for it at least makes the chomps last a little longer than usual. You have nice replayability in this level, and overall you did a good job.

6.5/10

Check out my current project, Super Mario Country:

Return to “Levels”