PixelPest's Peculiarities (New Level + Custom Boss!)

This is the place to post your own levels.
Mr Briney
Level Reviewer
Level Reviewer
Current Project: Secret
Chat Username: Mr Briney

Re: PixelPest's Peculiarities (New Level + Custom Boss!)

Postby Mr Briney » Sun Oct 15, 2017 6:17 am

The first thing I saw in the level was toxic fog, but I wasn't notified that staying there for a long time could kill the character. Although the "beep" sound could alert the player about what's happening in the level, it wouldn't be enough to notify the player that the fog can kill you unless they see the bar on the left side (By the way, the skull looks like more of a jellyfish than a skull). Maybe add some skull sign near the starting point.

The level looks good even the background seems bland. The toxic fog effect made the background less bland although it somehow doesn't match with the 2*2 pixel graphics.

The placing of the NPC is good but the number of Upward Snifits should be reduced. Especially the Upward Snifits that is below the cramped part of second section should be removed as its projectile could hit the player before noticing it. I know it's supposed to be hard but it seems you need to dodge all the projectiles while hurrying that could cause the player would be lost if you let them hurry because of panic. You could either add one more bubble, provide more direction signs, or remove some Upward Snifits.

The boss is great. I have nothing to say with the boss but the boss fight had some issues.

The Upward Snifits on the right side seems useless as there is no place where you can stand on the right side, except for Birdo's head. Also, the Poison Mushroom generator produces Poison Mushrooms fast.

Also I didn't still know what the Golden Onion do.

I enjoyed this level a lot even though there are parts that let me panicked. I'm just disappointed that even the level is hard, it's too short to be enjoyed.
I'll be less active from now on. If you need something from me, feel free to PM me here or DM me in Discord.Image
Credits to Snessy the duck for my userbar.
Join my discord server!
Check out my levels!
Favorite Forum Quotes: show
Tyler1209 wrote:Everything dies, so I made this thread to pay respects to those things that died.
Quill wrote:Let's pay respects to this thread

TheKidCodee wrote:snessy could you do me

RhysOwens wrote:
Superiorstar wrote:
Electriking wrote:

Sanct wrote:
Zha Hong Lang wrote:
HackPlayer7 wrote:What is ((35÷6+ -14) - (768×3-(18×37)+ -43)) × 0

((35÷6+ -14) - (768×3-(18×37)+ -43)) × 0
let a = (35÷6+ -14) - (768×3-(18×37)+ -43);
(a) × 0

nerd

kyasarintsu wrote:
Pseudo wrote:Please don't make posts that are just quotes of another user's post, thanks.

that's not a question

Favorite Discord Quotes: show
ImageImageImageImage

PixelPest
Purple Yoshi Egg
Purple Yoshi Egg
Current Project: It's a secret for now...
Chat Username: Pix le Pest

Postby PixelPest » Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:38 am

Mr Briney wrote:The first thing I saw in the level was toxic fog, but I wasn't notified that staying there for a long time could kill the character. Although the "beep" sound could alert the player about what's happening in the level, it wouldn't be enough to notify the player that the fog can kill you unless they see the bar on the left side.

Shouldn't I expect the player to be observant enough to notice something that lights up on the HUD that also usually isn't there? That's also why the first bubble is placed in a location that's unavoidable.

Mr Briney wrote:By the way, the skull looks like more of a jellyfish than a skull.

I disagree. Jellyfish aren't circular; they're a semi-circle with longer tentacles and also wouldn't make sense to be on the meter.

Mr Briney wrote:Maybe add some skull sign near the starting point.

What would a skull sign even do? It would basically have no meaning and could be placed in any level. I originally had signs but they took away from the level. I feel like you can expect at least a little observation from the player.

Mr Briney wrote:The level looks good even the background seems bland.

Also how is the background bland? You didn't even give an example or a suggestion on how to improve it. It's supposed to be a little bit bland since it's a wasteland but there's also a fair distribution of enemies and BGOs. I just don't understand this point.

Mr Briney wrote:The toxic fog effect made the background less bland although it somehow doesn't match with the 2*2 pixel graphics.

You've got to be kidding me. I honestly don't think I've ever seen anyone complain about 1x1 pixels in particle effects.

Mr Briney wrote:The placing of the NPC is good but the number of Upward Snifits should be reduced. Especially the Upward Snifits that is below the cramped part of second section should be removed as its projectile could hit the player before noticing it. I know it's supposed to be hard but it seems you need to dodge all the projectiles while hurrying that could cause the player would be lost if you let them hurry because of panic. You could either add one more bubble, provide more direction signs, or remove some Upward Snifits.

They don't fire on screen and are easily avoided if the player is paying attention. This is intended to be a difficult level so I don't see the problem with creating challenging set-ups that require the player to observe what's around them. It's completely fair since the Snifits are on-screen when they fire and their projectiles don't move very fast.

Mr Briney wrote:The Upward Snifits on the right side seems useless as there is no place where you can stand on the right side, except for Birdo's head.

They're to interfere with the player damaging Birdo.

Mr Briney wrote:Also I didn't still know what the Golden Onion do.

Literally just an SMW collectable star.

Mr Briney wrote:I enjoyed this level a lot even though there are parts that let me panicked. I'm just disappointed that even the level is hard, it's too short to be enjoyed.

It takes me a solid three to four minutes to play the level and it's supposed to be hard. I think that's a pretty reasonable length for a challenging level like this
My current project. (Demo 0.1 has been released!)

Check out a new dead SMBX Discord server; bots, media, VIP, and more: https://discord.gg/edgBUVM

Check out some cool LunaLua stuff:

My Graphics Pack: http://www.supermariobrosx.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=12472

My Levels: http://www.supermariobrosx.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=89&t=16349

ADMAndrew
Koopa Troopa
Koopa Troopa
Chat Username: ADMClef

Postby ADMAndrew » Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:18 am

Is very entertaining :D I was half trying to pass the puzzles of stellar cave :idea: , very good atmosphere of music is very relaxing :lol:
My actual projects :D :

PixelPest
Purple Yoshi Egg
Purple Yoshi Egg

Postby PixelPest » Sun Oct 15, 2017 12:03 pm

ADMAndrew wrote:Is very entertaining :D I was half trying to pass the puzzles of stellar cave :idea: , very good atmosphere of music is very relaxing :lol:

Thanks. That's probably the level I'm most proud of making. Glad you're enjoying it

Check out a new dead SMBX Discord server; bots, media, VIP, and more: https://discord.gg/edgBUVM

My Graphics Pack: http://www.supermariobrosx.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=12472

Musicality_Minister45
Volcano Lotus
Volcano Lotus
Current Project: Some things, QUALITY JOURNEYS

Postby Musicality_Minister45 » Sun Oct 15, 2017 4:55 pm

Were did you get the red platform graphics for Subcon Wastland?
I believe in Redgit as my lord and savior. If you do, please put this in your signature

My favorite-est quotes:
Spoiler: show
Musicality_Minister45 wrote:Any graphics pack that has memes or Pokémon in I'm down for. I love them both! :lol:

Danny wrote:
Ryaa wrote:
xDestroy wrote:top 10 anime betrayals

top 10 top 10s

top 10 dannys in your neighborhood

I might be revealing an episode soon...

Comic thread: https://www.supermariobrosx.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=19880

PixelPest
Purple Yoshi Egg
Purple Yoshi Egg

Postby PixelPest » Sun Oct 15, 2017 5:28 pm

Musicality_Minister45 wrote:Were did you get the red platform graphics for Subcon Wastland?

I made them specifically for this level, however they are in my graphics pack

Inspirited
Blooper
Blooper

Postby Inspirited » Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:59 pm

You've got to be kidding me. I honestly don't think I've ever seen anyone complain about 1x1 pixels in particle effects.
Not that bad of a point. xD But nothing anyone can do about it. Also you forgot to say "thx for the review" ; (
I don't make episodes.

Return to “Levels”