Turnip's Level Collection

Share your own SMBX levels and play others' too.
Forum rules
Before you make a topic/post, consider the following:
-Is there a topic for this already?
-Is your post on-topic/appropriate?
-Are you posting in the right forum/following the forum rules?
-Showcase all of your levels in one topic.
Turnip
Hoopster
Hoopster
Current Project: Probably a future graphics pack.

Turnip's Level Collection

Postby Turnip » Thu Aug 25, 2016 12:46 am

TFW you can only make one thread and you didn't realize it. But seriously, enjoy these level's or whatever. Or don't because I'm a statement, not a cop.

A Super Basic Level - August 25th 2016
Spoiler: show
An incredibly easy grassland themed level, intended to be a World 1-1 type of level. Don't expect anything phenomenal, as I made this one as a baseline for how I can improve upon it.

This version is version 1.1 which improves on a bunch of the errors in 1.0, like the useless bottomless pit area, and fixed some NPC's.

Image Image
Last edited by Turnip on Thu Aug 25, 2016 7:53 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Aero
Palom
Palom
Flair: Pirate economy
Chat Username: aero

Re: A Super Basic Grass Level

Postby Aero » Thu Aug 25, 2016 4:38 am

I'm a huge fan of basic levels so when I saw the title of your thread I knew I had to play your level. Grass levels are always fun, and I enjoyed this one. The bottomless pit is questionable, and you're close to crossing the line with too many bullet bills onscreen but I'd still give this level an 8/10 despite this. Good one!

youngtomlin
Level Reviewer
Level Reviewer

Re: A Super Basic Grass Level

Postby youngtomlin » Thu Aug 25, 2016 6:43 am

Quite a nice level. Time for my review!

Design
I really like the design for this level. As it's a standard grass level, it's hard to design so it looks good. This was well designed. It had grass going up the side of the plains which I tried to climb on sometimes. :D
There are a lot of enemies in this level that you have to avoid and it was a simple 1-1 stage, there were a lot of secret areas around however. No Dragon Coins but you can find a bottomless pit and lots of coins with Toads. This adds longevity to the course and I enjoy that. There were no power-ups apart from Mushrooms and normally in a 1-1 stage, you hand out at least a basic power-up. Only a small problem though as the four Mushrooms were distributed evenly around the stage. The standard BG was used for plains but it's hard to create a nice background for a basic grass level. All in all the design was good for this level.

Difficulty
This level was not very hard. If you're a careful player you can really die as I had one of the Mushrooms always in stock. The enemies can be avoided or jumped on quite easily but I guess it's a 1-1 level so it can't be very challenging. The music blocks platforming section, I did fail. Thinking I would die, however I get to a bottomless pit. I didn't really like that and I think it was a bit pointless. I would have rather added a bit of challenge to the level as adding that pit makes it even easier as you can't even die if you fall. I don't know what happens if you fall at the Bullet Bill section as I did not. It was also quite a short level so even if you did die, it didn't really affect anything. I do understand that you wanted to create a level that did not take 10 minutes to complete, but it was quite easy.

Enjoyability
This level was quite enjoyable, I did laugh at the Toads when I fell down the pit and found the secrets and I always love grass stages. The stage was fun to navigate and explore even if it was quite easy. Would love to see one of your levels if you made it a bit harder and longer as I think I would enjoy that more.

Overall
A nice quick and easy level to play through and explore. I loved the design and was fun to play. I just think I needs a bit more challenge to be a great level. As even some of Nintendo's 1-1 are a bit harder. Still a fun level to play overall.

7/10

Turnip
Hoopster
Hoopster

Re: A Super Basic Grass Level (Update - v1.1)

Postby Turnip » Thu Aug 25, 2016 2:08 pm

I updated the level fixing up some of the problems the initial one had.

You can get the new version of the level here: http://www.mediafire.com/download/654s7 ... el_1.1.zip

Changelog:

- Removed the hidden area at the first bottomless pit (a bit of a questionable design choice on my part)
- Fixed up the hidden coin area (Literally incomplete in the first version, but nobody pointed it out so I patched it up quickly)
- Removed the mushroom in the Muncher area, and set the Muncher to not move.
- Changed out a Green Koopa for a Red Koopa

And that's about it.

If you wanted to see 1.0, the download link will remain up, but if you haven't played the level yet then choose 1.1 first, since it fixed up the problems that 1.0 had.

Circle Guy
Koopa Shell
Koopa Shell
Current Project: SMBXmix

Postby Circle Guy » Thu Aug 25, 2016 2:23 pm

oh yeah you might want to read the new level forum rules
Spoiler: show
Spinda wrote:
luigiman64 wrote:can you fart
yes if you use lunalua

Code: Select all

function onLoop()
    player:Fart()
end
HenryRichard wrote: necks are overrated
Camacho wrote:omg you must get all the spindas
AeroMatter wrote:づ✿o✿づ more spam for the spam god.
http://www.supermariobrosx.org/forums/v ... hilit=fart
the thread i don't want you to see

http://www.supermariobrosx.org/forums/v ... 52&t=12863
i don't even

Most posts in a row: 11 (by Tortus Bros)
i have 10,100 points

Turnip
Hoopster
Hoopster

Postby Turnip » Thu Aug 25, 2016 5:15 pm

Circle Guy wrote:oh yeah you might want to read the new level forum rules
Don't worry, I read through them. It's not exactly good to post without knowing the rules first, so I always make sure to check them out.

PixelPest
Link
Link
Flair: Tamer of Boom Booms
Current Project: Boom Boom Evolution
Chat Username: PixelPest

Postby PixelPest » Thu Aug 25, 2016 5:21 pm

Due to the way you named your thread, just wanted to let you know to make sure that you post all of your levels in this thread only

Turnip
Hoopster
Hoopster

Postby Turnip » Thu Aug 25, 2016 6:57 pm

PixelPest wrote:Due to the way you named your thread, just wanted to let you know to make sure that you post all of your levels in this thread only
Wait, what.

That's a rule? Thank you for telling me, I would have never known that. It was not stated in the sticky post at all. I guess I'll have to update this post accordingly.

You're a life-saver man ;). Thank you.

Yoshi021
Gold Yoshi Egg
Gold Yoshi Egg

Postby Yoshi021 » Thu Aug 25, 2016 6:59 pm

Links: show
ImageImageImage
"Going to University is FUN!"

Turnip
Hoopster
Hoopster

Re: Turnip's Level Collection

Postby Turnip » Thu Aug 25, 2016 7:54 pm

Thanks m8. The thread has been updated accordingly.

Return to “Levels”