Inspirited's Best Levels

This is the place to post your own levels.
Inspirited
Blooper
Blooper

Inspirited's Best Levels

Postby Inspirited » Tue Sep 26, 2017 5:25 pm

Hii and welcome to the my level thread! I'll share some fabulous levels here and would be happy about any comments or critique too.

Block Smash

Screenshots:
Image Image

Download: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ng7rasvxb9mo5 ... h.zip?dl=0

SMBX Version: 2.0 Beta 3

Info:
This level is a new game inside SMBX. I hope you brought patience with you, because this level is long. New elements are gradually introduced throughout the level and there's even a bossfight!

Pay attention and take it all in to figure everything out. Also try to get a high score. If you type "skip" you instantly skip the current section (this is considered cheating and gets you no points).

Hope you like it ;o
I don't make episodes.

Zha Hong Lang
Lakitu
Lakitu

Re: Inspirited's Best Levels

Postby Zha Hong Lang » Sun Oct 01, 2017 1:17 am

I haven't played through all of block smash yet, but I've gotten halfway through the fifth room so far and I'd like to comment on what I've played at this point.

This level presents an interesting concept, but it doesn't really do a lot of interesting things with it and after a while it gets downright frustrating with how much it expects the player to wait. Wait to backtrack to the next section since you now have the right color ball. Wait to aaaaaall the way back to the previous section since you accidentally changed into the wrong color ball. Wait for you to get back to where you were because you died close to getting all the blocks smashed. There's lots of annoying design choices like this, and paired with the fact that per-room checkpoints don't actually save once you exit the level, it makes going through the entire level a massive chore rather than a fun experience.

The aesthetic felt similar to flash games of old, the one that's freshest off the top of my head being "world's hardest game". However, I'd rather play that game than this level, since the rooms in that flash game were small and concise, allowing quick iteration times if you fudged up rather than two whole minutes just to get where you were. A part of me thinks that this level wanted to be something other than a typical flash game though, since there was the purple wooden blocks, the mountain, and the remixed SM64 file select music. None of these elements seemed to form a single theme from what I understand, though, so it kinda feels lackluster. As well as that, the theme didn't transition at all from room to room? You don't have to make each room its own theme, but something like every 3 rooms having different visuals and music would make the level much less repetitive.

I'm not gonna rate this level anything since I haven't beaten it yet, but I just want to say that I found the innovation rather intriguing, but the concept had a lack of foundation on all ends, from design to execution to aesthetic.
(formerly Jayoshi, Luigi, Luigi.net)

Inspirited
Blooper
Blooper

Postby Inspirited » Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:32 am

Thanks a lot for playing, and for that review. Your complaints matches with someone else suggestion I got, that said "the sections should be single screens, instead of having pseudo-exploration". I made these big sections because I've been using another game-making engine for the longest time, and in that one you couldn't have a room bigger than the screen (ala Zelda 1, or VVVVV). So the big rooms you can make in SMBX just fascinated me too much. I had a hunch that this would be a problem, so I made sure to never have a super hard challenge at the end of a level at least.

The theme stays the same throughout the whole level. I guess I did go for flash-game like aesthetics.

and paired with the fact that per-room checkpoints don't actually save once you exit the level
I've explained in the first post how you can instantly skip a section, in case you wanna take a break from level and get back to where you were.
I don't make episodes.

Zha Hong Lang
Lakitu
Lakitu

Postby Zha Hong Lang » Sun Oct 01, 2017 11:10 am

Inspirited wrote:Thanks a lot for playing, and for that review. Your complaints matches with someone else suggestion I got, that said "the sections should be single screens, instead of having pseudo-exploration". I made these big sections because I've been using another game-making engine for the longest time, and in that one you couldn't have a room bigger than the screen (ala Zelda 1, or VVVVV). So the big rooms you can make in SMBX just fascinated me too much. I had a hunch that this would be a problem, so I made sure to never have a super hard challenge at the end of a level at least.

The rooms don't necessarily have to be single screens, or even shrunken down that much at all, depending on what fix you make. There are two in particular I can think of:

1. Re-make each room so that the completion time is one minute, tops.
2. Add checkpoints between parts of rooms. Each room can typically be broken down into distinct chunks, which I'll highlight in the second room:
Personally I would add a midpoint at the third part, so that the player doesn't have to do a ton of backtracking if they died at that point.

The theme stays the same throughout the whole level.

This probably wasn't the best of ideas then, for such a long level. Even Enjl's SCC level, which doesn't take nearly as much time as yours, changed its music halfway through to keep the feel of the level fresh. I'd recommend changing your entire aesthetic if you choose to do so, however, since it's only made up of three things anyway.

I've explained in the first post how you can instantly skip a section, in case you wanna take a break from level and get back to where you were.
This is true, but you also said:
(this is considered cheating and gets you no points).

Implying this method isn't intended to be used.

If you need help with preserving checkpoints when the player exits the level, I'll gladly contribute to that.
(formerly Jayoshi, Luigi, Luigi.net)

MarioRPGExpert93
Larry Koopa
Larry Koopa
Current Project: TurboGrafx 16 style graphics
Chat Username: PaperWilliam

Postby MarioRPGExpert93 » Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:02 am

About the blocks with a black skull on them. Did you get inspiration from the AVGN game?
Mario RPGs I owned: 08/12

Main Goals in Mario RPGs:

• 100% Paper Mario Sticker Star
  • Complete Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga
  • Master Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door in a Danger Mario Run
  • Master all Bros. Attacks in Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time
  • Collect all 256 cards in Super Paper Mario
  • 100% Paper Mario 64
  • Play through Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door in a BP only run
My sprite art: http://paperwilliam.deviantart.com/
TSR: PaperWilliam 8-)
I have Autism & ADHD

diego corp
Shy Guy
Shy Guy
Chat Username: toro

Postby diego corp » Mon Oct 02, 2017 6:24 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:
my channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCVqV8q ... w/featured

xDestroy wrote:
PixelPest wrote:
diego corp wrote:wat im not advertising xDestroy

You literally posted a link to your level which has nothing to do with xDestroy's thread so the logical conclusion is that you are advertising your content

its not my thread...

whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat
:x

supporting

xDestroy
Ripper II
Ripper II
Current Project: Mario's Quest (DEAD)
Chat Username: Eric

Postby xDestroy » Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:46 pm

diego corp wrote:https://www.supermariobrosx.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=89&t=19698&p=297510&hilit=tempo#p297510

please dont double post and advertise
I believe in Jesus Christ as my lord and savior. If you do, please put this in your signature
Instagram @xdestroy18

diego corp
Shy Guy
Shy Guy

Postby diego corp » Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:01 pm

xDestroy wrote:
diego corp wrote:https://www.supermariobrosx.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=89&t=19698&p=297510&hilit=tempo#p297510

wat im not advertising xDestroy
my channel

xDestroy wrote:
PixelPest wrote:

You literally posted a link to your level which has nothing to do with xDestroy's thread so the logical conclusion is that you are advertising your content

its not my thread...

whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat

supporting

PixelPest
Purple Yoshi Egg
Purple Yoshi Egg
Current Project: It's a secret for now...
Chat Username: Pix le Pest

Postby PixelPest » Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:03 pm

diego corp wrote:
xDestroy wrote:

You literally posted a link to your level which has nothing to do with Inspirited's thread so the logical conclusion is that you are advertising your content
Last edited by PixelPest on Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My current project. (Demo 0.1 has been released!)

Check out a new dead SMBX Discord server; bots, media, VIP, and more: https://discord.gg/edgBUVM

Check out some cool LunaLua stuff:

My Graphics Pack: http://www.supermariobrosx.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=12472

My Levels: http://www.supermariobrosx.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=89&t=16349

xDestroy
Ripper II
Ripper II
Current Project: Mario's Quest (DEAD)
Chat Username: Eric

Postby xDestroy » Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:09 pm

PixelPest wrote:
diego corp wrote:
xDestroy wrote:please dont double post and advertise

its not my thread...
I believe in Jesus Christ as my lord and savior. If you do, please put this in your signature
Instagram @xdestroy18

diego corp
Shy Guy
Shy Guy

Postby diego corp » Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:15 pm

xDestroy wrote:
PixelPest wrote:

its not my thread...

my channel

xDestroy wrote:
PixelPest wrote:

its not my thread...

supporting

Kley
Volcano Lotus
Volcano Lotus
Chat Username: Kley

Postby Kley » Sat Oct 07, 2017 8:05 pm

diego corp, you need to calm down, and read the forum rules. Don't make useless double posts, and stop advertising your merch in other peoples topics.
Click ---> Image <--- Click

Return to “Levels”