P.Yoshi's Vault

Share your own SMBX levels and play others' too.
Forum rules
Before you make a topic/post, consider the following:
-Is there a topic for this already?
-Is your post on-topic/appropriate?
-Are you posting in the right forum/following the forum rules?
-Showcase all of your levels in one topic.
PopYoshi
Boom Boom
Boom Boom
Current Project: Super Mario the Attack of Darkness

P.Yoshi's Vault

Postby PopYoshi » Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:30 pm

So... this my personal vault of levels where I'll upload the levels I did. I hope someone review them after I upload a new level

I'll also put a signal that says the difficulty of the level

Now go and play! I'll see everything from my chair~

A New Beginning
Spoiler: show
Ha ha! it's been 1 year since I made a level, but this isn't a true new level, is a old level I did in 2015 while I was working at Attack of Darkness, this was supposed to be the first level but I felt it wasn't that good so I decided to post it instead of send it to the trash

It's a simple and very short level with a bit of difficulty (and a error with the fence sprites and probably a error with a waterfall, is a old level anyway, I'm taking the risk of post it without have edited it before)

Screenshot:

Difficulty: Easy

Unfortunate Sanctuary
This time is a desert level which I was doing since the Saturday

Only if you know how many times I tested this level. Now I think is a bit decent level

Screenshots:

ImageImage

And finally the download link

Difficulty: Hard
Monty Passage
We are talking about a cave styled level which taked a lot to make, I think my efforts were worth of it

Screenshot:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/k81y1p4ig ... assage.zip

Feather Station
Well, I've come with a new level, a SMW styled one, is called Feather Station and it's an athletic styled level. Enjoy!

Screenshots:
ImageImage

http://www.mediafire.com/file/izvz7aiq2 ... tation.zip

Difficulty: Medium
Last edited by PopYoshi on Sat Jan 27, 2018 2:15 pm, edited 10 times in total.

My project:

Radiance
Level Reviewer
Level Reviewer
Current Project: viewtopic.php?t=16308

Re: A new beginning

Postby Radiance » Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:57 am

Let's start at the beginning of your level. You shouldn't put an enemy next to the player because when the level starts and the player wasn't aware that the level starts, the character will die quickly. It's either remove the enemies near to the character, move the enemies farther from the player, or put the character where it wouldn't reach by any enemies near to it.

The waterfalls BGOs look good but doesn't match with the foreground blocks. The blocks themselves (e.g. the grassland blocks and the sand blocks) doesn't match either. It seems you just find good CGFXs and put those in your level without thinking if those would match to each other.

Your level is also short for a standard level but looks long enough for a 1-1 level. This level doesn't necessarily need a checkpoint. And this level has many power-ups for a standard level and a 1-1 level, also. Try removing some of them.

You shouldn't also use 8-bit music in a 16-bit level. Idk why, but it doesn't just fit.

And I don't know if I should say this but I was tricked by a Flying Shy Guy knowing that it's a stompable enemy.

I liked the idea for splitting the level in two roads but merged too quickly. Maybe it just merged quickly since it's a 1-1 level.

If I'm supposed to give a score after reviewing a level, I'll give this 5.45/10.

Since this level was made in 2015, I hope you made your skills at designing levels better now. If not, then make more levels to hone your skills at level designing. (:

PopYoshi
Boom Boom
Boom Boom

Postby PopYoshi » Mon Oct 02, 2017 1:04 pm

Mr Briney wrote:Let's start at the beginning of your level. You shouldn't put an enemy next to the player because when the level starts and the player wasn't aware that the level starts, the character will die quickly. It's either remove the enemies near to the character, move the enemies farther from the player, or put the character where it wouldn't reach by any enemies near to it.

The waterfalls BGOs look good but doesn't match with the foreground blocks. The blocks themselves (e.g. the grassland blocks and the sand blocks) doesn't match either. It seems you just find good CGFXs and put those in your level without thinking if those would match to each other.

Your level is also short for a standard level but looks long enough for a 1-1 level. This level doesn't necessarily need a checkpoint. And this level has many power-ups for a standard level and a 1-1 level, also. Try removing some of them.

You shouldn't also use 8-bit music in a 16-bit level. Idk why, but it doesn't just fit.

And I don't know if I should say this but I was tricked by a Flying Shy Guy knowing that it's a stompable enemy.

I liked the idea for splitting the level in two roads but merged too quickly. Maybe it just merged quickly since it's a 1-1 level.

If I'm supposed to give a score after reviewing a level, I'll give this 5.45/10.

Since this level was made in 2015, I hope you made your skills at designing levels better now. If not, then make more levels to hone your skills at level designing. (:
Man, I'm so proud of everything you said (: (I don't know why but I liked everything you said)

Thank you for your review, my skills have improved since 2015, but i don't know how much

Also... I don't know what to say about the 8 bits music (there's people who said that they liked the ML music there)

My project:

Radiance
Level Reviewer
Level Reviewer

Postby Radiance » Mon Oct 02, 2017 5:42 pm

Pop Yoshi Bros wrote:Thank you for your review, my skills have improved since 2015, but i don't know how much
You can make more levels and let those be reviewed by us, level reviewers.

PopYoshi
Boom Boom
Boom Boom

Postby PopYoshi » Mon Oct 02, 2017 5:59 pm

Mr Briney wrote:
Pop Yoshi Bros wrote:Thank you for your review, my skills have improved since 2015, but i don't know how much
You can make more levels and let those be reviewed by us, level reviewers.
Ahem, since the Saturday I'm doing a level for be reviewed. Let's see how goes then!

My project:

Super Luigi!
Volcano Lotus
Volcano Lotus
Flair: ???
Current Project: Super Luigi World.
Chat Username: SL

Postby Super Luigi! » Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:32 pm

I'm not an esteemed Level Reviewer like Mr Briney, but here are my thoughts:

The first Goomba at the beginning is a problem, since he can kill quickly and unfairly. Further on, there's a slope. Naturally, players will slide down through the three brown Goombas. Doing this, however, leads to an overhead attack from a red one. Shortly after, Nippers appear, and this is a problem, due to their difficulty. Then, they'e gone.

The Super Mario Land music fits this stage, due to how strange it is. I spent about five minutes trying to find enough shells, since your Raccoon Leaf was guarded by Nippers, but I eventually succeeded. That Piranha Plant in the L-shaped pipe drove me insane, as I thought I was supposed to go there. It really doesn't make much sense to me. As for the ending, however, that was well made, especially the SMB3 card.

Overall, I like how your level looks, even if its difficulty ramps up too soon. I eagerly await your new stage on Saturday, although I will be busy then. If you want a score, here it is:

8.6/10
Projects I support:
Image ~Level Designer and Beta Tester.
~Beta Tester.
Image ~Admirer.
Image ~Reviewer.
"Keep trying at something, even in failure because another attempt may be all you need."~SL

PopYoshi
Boom Boom
Boom Boom

Postby PopYoshi » Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:17 pm

Super Luigi! wrote:I'm not an esteemed Level Reviewer like Mr Briney, but here are my thoughts:

The first Goomba at the beginning is a problem, since he can kill quickly and unfairly. Further on, there's a slope. Naturally, players will slide down through the three brown Goombas. Doing this, however, leads to an overhead attack from a red one. Shortly after, Nippers appear, and this is a problem, due to their difficulty. Then, they'e gone.

The Super Mario Land music fits this stage, due to how strange it is. I spent about five minutes trying to find enough shells, since your Raccoon Leaf was guarded by Nippers, but I eventually succeeded. That Piranha Plant in the L-shaped pipe drove me insane, as I thought I was supposed to go there. It really doesn't make much sense to me. As for the ending, however, that was well made, especially the SMB3 card.

Overall, I like how your level looks, even if its difficulty ramps up too soon. I eagerly await your new stage on Saturday, although I will be busy then. If you want a score, here it is:

8.6/10
Heh, believe me, this level isn't that good. Since 1 year analizing everything and learning... the shy guys don't fit very well with the level, also it's a bit unfair because there's enemies coming from everywhere. Some BGOs don't fit with a SMB3 styled level, especially the fences, they are from SMW!

Well, at least I learned something during this time!

Thank you for your review

If everything goes well the level will be finished for tomorrow

My project:

PopYoshi
Boom Boom
Boom Boom

Unfortunate Sanctuary

Postby PopYoshi » Tue Oct 03, 2017 5:30 pm

A new level is coming!

This time is a desert level which I was doing since the Saturday

Only if you know how many times I tested this level. Now I think is a bit decent level, I hope a level reviewer see this

Screenshots:
ImageImage
And finally the download link

My project:

Aristo
Larry Koopa
Larry Koopa
Flair: Martyr of SMBXdom
Chat Username: Aristo

Re: Unfortunate Sanctuary

Postby Aristo » Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:49 pm

Yeah okay so I played this.

So first of all, what you can always do to make a level better is compress it. The level kind of needlessly dragged on because it was kind of the same thing over and over again. Enemies in arbitrary setups and some interesting tidbits with the Spikes and the spike ball generators from the quicksand pits in-between. Dissect the level into smaller individual challenges, keep the ones that make for interesting setups and breather areas and throw out the parts where there is nothing going on other than the player going right. I also think it would be cool if you did more with the Spikes in combinations with the throwable blocks, so they're kind of a combo that always shows up together so the player has the safer option of either getting a throw block to take the Spike out or take the quicker route of just dodging the spike balls and carrying on. Speaking of Spikes, putting them behind foreground BGOs and giving no indication that there is an enemy there borders on artificial difficulty, which is not so cool.
It also would be neat if there was some sort of visual clue on where the spike balls come out of the sand pits, like maybe a BGO that looks like cloud of smoke or something.

Also the "bonus" area is a bit... I don't know. No one who isn't bossedit would take the time to go there for a few coins. Maybe scrap that part and instead add some actual bonus areas that are quick and easy to get through but hidden in pipes or other less available areas.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

PopYoshi
Boom Boom
Boom Boom

Postby PopYoshi » Thu Oct 05, 2017 6:27 pm

Aristocrat wrote:Yeah okay so I played this.

So first of all, what you can always do to make a level better is compress it. The level kind of needlessly dragged on because it was kind of the same thing over and over again. Enemies in arbitrary setups and some interesting tidbits with the Spikes and the spike ball generators from the quicksand pits in-between. Dissect the level into smaller individual challenges, keep the ones that make for interesting setups and breather areas and throw out the parts where there is nothing going on other than the player going right. I also think it would be cool if you did more with the Spikes in combinations with the throwable blocks, so they're kind of a combo that always shows up together so the player has the safer option of either getting a throw block to take the Spike out or take the quicker route of just dodging the spike balls and carrying on. Speaking of Spikes, putting them behind foreground BGOs and giving no indication that there is an enemy there borders on artificial difficulty, which is not so cool.
It also would be neat if there was some sort of visual clue on where the spike balls come out of the sand pits, like maybe a BGO that looks like cloud of smoke or something.

Also the "bonus" area is a bit... I don't know. No one who isn't bossedit would take the time to go there for a few coins. Maybe scrap that part and instead add some actual bonus areas that are quick and easy to get through but hidden in pipes or other less available areas.
I knew that someone was going to say something about the spikes and the fact that the level is too repetitive... and the bunch of thing thats doesn't let you calm down, stop and breathe

Anyway, thank you for the review, I'll keep doing levels and fix the errors here, because I'm going to use this level in my episode)

My project:

Radiance
Level Reviewer
Level Reviewer

Postby Radiance » Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:24 am

I've also encountered an error here. You should take note that the graphics for Dry Bones and collapsed Dry Bones should match. You used Bone Mummy graphic for Dry Bones and SMB3 collapsed Dry Bones for the collapse Dry Bones, so every time I stomp a Bone Mummy, it became SMB3 collapsed Dry Bones and for some time, it will turn back into Bone Mummy. Please fix that.

And it seems there's too many clouds in your level. It's fine if it's just a BGO but it's a foreground object. You could remove some clouds or make it a BGO.

PopYoshi
Boom Boom
Boom Boom

Postby PopYoshi » Fri Oct 06, 2017 2:11 pm

Mr Briney wrote:I've also encountered an error here. You should take note that the graphics for Dry Bones and collapsed Dry Bones should match. You used Bone Mummy graphic for Dry Bones and SMB3 collapsed Dry Bones for the collapse Dry Bones, so every time I stomp a Bone Mummy, it became SMB3 collapsed Dry Bones and for some time, it will turn back into Bone Mummy. Please fix that.

And it seems there's too many clouds in your level. It's fine if it's just a BGO but it's a foreground object. You could remove some clouds or make it a BGO.
Okay, I didn't notice the problem with the bone mummy (by the way, the fact that it turns again into a bone mummy is because it replaces the garoomba)

I'll remove many of the clouds. Thanks

My project:

Kley
Edge
Edge
Flair: Robot
Chat Username: Kley

Postby Kley » Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:41 am

Merged your two level topics. You might wanna edit the top post to include both levels. Keep all of your levels in 1 level showcase topic. :)

PopYoshi
Boom Boom
Boom Boom

Postby PopYoshi » Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:06 am

Kley wrote:Merged your two level topics. You might wanna edit the top post to include both levels. Keep all of your levels in 1 level showcase topic. :)
Thank you

I didn't knew how much the rules changed :?

My project:

PopYoshi
Boom Boom
Boom Boom

Re: P.Yoshi's levels Vault

Postby PopYoshi » Tue Oct 31, 2017 3:27 pm

Update:

New level added, Monty Passage!

My project:

PopYoshi
Boom Boom
Boom Boom

Re: P.Yoshi's Vault

Postby PopYoshi » Sat Jan 27, 2018 2:18 pm

Well, epic bump here

This time I've come with a new level I did with much love, it may not be perfect but I kinda like it

Feather Station
It's a SMW styled one, is called Feather Station and it's an athletic styled level. Enjoy!

Screenshots:
ImageImage

http://www.mediafire.com/file/izvz7aiq2 ... tation.zip

Difficulty: Medium
Note: I was going to use grinders here, this level is the reason why I did that topic in Help and Support forum "How does grinders work?"

I hope someone judges it, I'd appreciate it

My project:

MegaDood
Birdo
Birdo
Current Project: Super Mario Bros. Twisted Realities
Chat Username: Mega

Postby MegaDood » Sun Jan 28, 2018 5:48 am

What great looking levels. I'll give them a try, are they going to be in Attack of the Darkness?
My Project:
I don't really have a signature but here's what I support:

Taycamgame
Gold Yoshi Egg
Gold Yoshi Egg
Flair: Beta 4 beta be here soon jk
Current Project: Mario's Kingdom Adventure
Chat Username: Taycamgame

Postby Taycamgame » Sun Jan 28, 2018 6:24 am

Feather Station Review By Taycamgame
First, a summary of the level:
This level starts in a peaceful, beautiful field. The player encounters some toads explaining what the structures are. Nice storytelling! But after the first area, which is a nice introduction to the setting, things get a little… tricky.
The music that begins in the second area is well chosen. It perfectly fits the setting of an old, abandoned station. However, some graphical choices are quite confusing. Examples include the lakitu which I attempted to jump on and died due to it being a fire piranha, and the random but nicely done reskins of the SMB2 vegetables.
Anyway, I quite like the maze-like feel to area 2, with paths that branch off in different directions. It’s easy to get lost in this structure, which adds to the worn down, “lost” feeling of the station. There is a 3-UP moon that looks a bit out of place, especially due to there being no visible way to collect it. From here, the path splits up in 3 ways: Go left and enter a tunnel, go up then left to enter a pipe, or go right to enter another pipe. The leftmost pipe leads to a house with a locked door, which hints at backtracking. Also, upon dying, I spawned at the room with the house rather than the start. Was this intentional?
Then I decided to go through the left tunnel. I died a few times, and when I got to the end, all I found was a purple Yoshi. Nice surprise, but I was kinda expecting to find a secret exit of sorts. Back to the rightmost pipe, I found the key. It was satisfying to kill all the enemies with random objects like footballs and bones. Into the house, you find the chief. As in, not the end of the level. So through the gate I went. And by the way, the first time I tried to spin jump on those spiked balls, I died, thinking I could bounce off them.
Now, there is a bonus room halfway up this tower area. And the exit axe is right there! But that’s not actually an exit, rather it’s just a tanooki item spawner. There are two other areas to explore. The pipe at the top leads to a cave with a sort of hard-ish challenge. The asthetics are nice here, and fit the cave theme. Then we are taken to the final area which seems to be some sort of cliff climbing area. It’s great fun and then we are taken to the true end of the level.

Now for some more detailed reviewing:
Length: 7.5/10: The level is pretty long, but that doesn’t mean it gets boring. The checkpoint is roughly 1/3 of the way in to the level, so I’d suggest putting it in the area after the gate.
Gameplay / Theme: 8/10: The level is enjoyable although some parts are pretty tricky. Also, it feels more like an interior / Mine level than a proper athletic level, but it still retains that fun feel to it.
Aesthetics: 7.6/10: The graphics chosen are pretty decent! They really do suit the theme chosen. However, the only graphic I’d change is the toad house. It doesn’t suit the wooden theme; you’d expect to see some sort of log house in the woods rather than some sort of quartz / marble structure. Also, the use of the BGOs are varied and aren’t overused.
Overall: 7.7/10: The level as a whole is great! It offers a new, unique challenge and doesn’t get bland throughout. However, the placement of the checkpoint, the toad house and the slightly random obstacles like that lakitu are things that could be improved. Well done, this level is very memorable!
I look forward to seeing more levels from you. The title of the level's file is 1-7, so I assume the level will be featured in your episode. I look forward to it!
Official Level Reviewer (My Gold Yoshi Egg rank replaced the level reviewer icon, but i am still a level reviewer).
Check out my Episodes:
ImageImage
Check out the World Map Service that i host:
viewtopic.php?p=316733#p316733
Check out the projects i support:
ImageImageImage
Quotes: show
xDestroy wrote:
Wellington Games wrote:Taycamgame, I know how to take screenshots in the SMBX.

youngtomlin
Level Reviewer
Level Reviewer

Postby youngtomlin » Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:00 am

Could you fix the download for Monty Passage, please?

I'll give this a review when the download is back up. :D

PopYoshi
Boom Boom
Boom Boom

Postby PopYoshi » Fri Feb 02, 2018 6:48 pm

youngtomlin wrote:Could you fix the download for Monty Passage, please?

I'll give this a review when the download is back up. :D
I was going to update the download (the level suffered some changes because it had a lot of errors)
Taycamgame wrote:Feather Station Review By Taycamgame
First, a summary of the level:
This level starts in a peaceful, beautiful field. The player encounters some toads explaining what the structures are. Nice storytelling! But after the first area, which is a nice introduction to the setting, things get a little… tricky.
The music that begins in the second area is well chosen. It perfectly fits the setting of an old, abandoned station. However, some graphical choices are quite confusing. Examples include the lakitu which I attempted to jump on and died due to it being a fire piranha, and the random but nicely done reskins of the SMB2 vegetables.
Anyway, I quite like the maze-like feel to area 2, with paths that branch off in different directions. It’s easy to get lost in this structure, which adds to the worn down, “lost” feeling of the station. There is a 3-UP moon that looks a bit out of place, especially due to there being no visible way to collect it. From here, the path splits up in 3 ways: Go left and enter a tunnel, go up then left to enter a pipe, or go right to enter another pipe. The leftmost pipe leads to a house with a locked door, which hints at backtracking. Also, upon dying, I spawned at the room with the house rather than the start. Was this intentional?
Then I decided to go through the left tunnel. I died a few times, and when I got to the end, all I found was a purple Yoshi. Nice surprise, but I was kinda expecting to find a secret exit of sorts. Back to the rightmost pipe, I found the key. It was satisfying to kill all the enemies with random objects like footballs and bones. Into the house, you find the chief. As in, not the end of the level. So through the gate I went. And by the way, the first time I tried to spin jump on those spiked balls, I died, thinking I could bounce off them.
Now, there is a bonus room halfway up this tower area. And the exit axe is right there! But that’s not actually an exit, rather it’s just a tanooki item spawner. There are two other areas to explore. The pipe at the top leads to a cave with a sort of hard-ish challenge. The asthetics are nice here, and fit the cave theme. Then we are taken to the final area which seems to be some sort of cliff climbing area. It’s great fun and then we are taken to the true end of the level.

Now for some more detailed reviewing:
Length: 7.5/10: The level is pretty long, but that doesn’t mean it gets boring. The checkpoint is roughly 1/3 of the way in to the level, so I’d suggest putting it in the area after the gate.
Gameplay / Theme: 8/10: The level is enjoyable although some parts are pretty tricky. Also, it feels more like an interior / Mine level than a proper athletic level, but it still retains that fun feel to it.
Aesthetics: 7.6/10: The graphics chosen are pretty decent! They really do suit the theme chosen. However, the only graphic I’d change is the toad house. It doesn’t suit the wooden theme; you’d expect to see some sort of log house in the woods rather than some sort of quartz / marble structure. Also, the use of the BGOs are varied and aren’t overused.
Overall: 7.7/10: The level as a whole is great! It offers a new, unique challenge and doesn’t get bland throughout. However, the placement of the checkpoint, the toad house and the slightly random obstacles like that lakitu are things that could be improved. Well done, this level is very memorable!
I look forward to seeing more levels from you. The title of the level's file is 1-7, so I assume the level will be featured in your episode. I look forward to it!
Well, well, I find it fair! I mean, I wasn't expecting this to be the best level in da world but it seems it got a better review than I expected (honestly, I made the level with much love)

Side note: yes, it's going to be featured in my episode

My project:

Return to “Levels”