Eu gosto de pudim (Level Thread)

Share your own SMBX levels and play others' too.
Forum rules
Before you make a topic/post, consider the following:
-Is there a topic for this already?
-Is your post on-topic/appropriate?
-Are you posting in the right forum/following the forum rules?
-Showcase all of your levels in one topic.
AirShip
Ninji
Ninji
Flair: The Flying Ghost
Current Project: viewtopic.php?f=90&t=22332
Chat Username: AirSheep

Eu gosto de pudim (Level Thread)

Postby AirShip » Wed May 01, 2019 11:23 am

Pudim

Already does a time that I want to create my level thread, then here we go.

Spoiler: show
SMBX Version: 2.0 beta 3

Difficult:ImageImageImage

Project: Minion's Misfortune Koopa Konquest

Description & Comments:
One of my more recent levels (two months ago), I like this level, the atmosphere, the music, I think that all combines together, however, I think that the level could be a little more polished, probably I will make some edits before the episode release.
The level gimmick revolves around the colorful blocks, which change of solid to non-solid depending on player's jump.

SMBX Version: 2.0 beta 3

Difficult:ImageImageImage

Project: M.A.R.i.O! - Mario Adventures Running in Otherlands! (without topic yet)

Description & Comments:
A very simple level, indeed, here, I used the quicksand bug over solid blocks, not much to say.
I believe that exist have possibilities of bettering, but I not will make this today.

SMBX Version: 2.0 beta 3\1.3

Difficult:Image

Project: Super Mario Worldroid (whitout topic, probably)

Description & Comments:
A very very old level here, inspired by Kirby Planet Robobot, the objective of this level (and project) was re-use the levels design of Super Mario games, but with a new gimmick, similar to SMBX1, unfortunately, my level design not it was good, so...
The gimmick is find "scripts" that open barriers of energy, just.
The level designs that I used are:
SMB3 1-1, 1-3, 3-7.

To download the levels, click in the imagem of them
All critique are important, how about you make some ?

Oh yeah, end of thread, see ya.

Last edited by AirShip on Fri May 03, 2019 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rhosty
Larry Koopa
Larry Koopa
Flair: You know what they say, all toasters toast toast!
Current Project: trying new things
Chat Username: *practical

Re: Eu gosto de pudim (Level Thread)

Postby Rhosty » Wed May 01, 2019 1:48 pm

Wifi Woodland is my favorite one out of all of them
why did my dumb fuck self click the pudim link

Scroll
Birdo
Birdo
Flair: :squint:
Current Project: I'm not a spoiler :v
Chat Username: Scroll#6292

Postby Scroll » Wed May 01, 2019 5:02 pm

I played Midday Meadows, and I want to say that you've made a nice job, I definitely enjoyed the gimmick and all the setups made with it!
Electriking wrote:Signatures are overrated.

MegaDood
Grinder
Grinder
Current Project: Super Mario Bros. Twisted Realities
Chat Username: Mega

Postby MegaDood » Thu May 02, 2019 2:24 am

Wifi-Woodland is my favourite too. It's a unique looking level.
My Project:
I don't really have a signature but here's what I support:

MECHDRAGON777
Pink Yoshi Egg
Pink Yoshi Egg
Flair: Nuclear Queen of Reversion.
Current Project: http://www.supermariobrosx.org/forums/v ... 9&start=10
Chat Username: 鬼人 正邪

Postby MECHDRAGON777 » Thu May 02, 2019 3:06 pm

Looks like I will have some fun with new coinless content on my channel. Will have to try these out in the coming days.
List of People that can pronounce "Vilzriquathtor Seian" (Role Play): show
[b][i][center][size=125] Fusion best t ... .gif[/img]
List of Animés I have watched.
ImageImageImage
My episode is Image done!

CC12: 30π% done
My hardest level beaten!

Support

Contests I am in right now
•MaGL III
•Structure Contest
•Haunted Contest

Eclipsed
Eerie
Eerie
Chat Username: Eclipsed

Postby Eclipsed » Fri May 03, 2019 12:20 am

Could you add which ones of these work/were tested with beta 3 and not with maglx3? I tried a couple of these in maglx3 build and the level broke down

Added in 1 hour 19 minutes 13 seconds:
Reviews for the three levels
Overall, I think your levels are fine, but there are some glaring issues in parts of the level.
This review will go through intro, to middle, to stars, to end. (This will mainly focus on MM and FF)

Something that I think you do well is setting up the gimmick with showing the power what occurs rather than telling them like in MM and FF where since the player has to jump, he sees there's a switch block gimmick and in FF how there's coins above the first white ground there's a quicksand gimmick. That being said, it's really weird the WW has a sign that tells you what to do instead of allowing the player to see it, especially since you spawn on a script npc. What I'd suggest is to have a laser at the initial section and have a script npc under a ?block or arrows pointing to it, that way the player will instantly attach the main gimmick of the level.

Furthermore, you bring interesting setups in the initial parts of the level such as the rotodiscs, the saw navigation, and the think before doing in MM and the utilization of enemies to shorten quicksand downtime. And shortly after you expand upon the initial ideas pretty well, so the middle was pretty interesting.

Overall, the star placement is pretty fine with the foreground if you see the shine in FF, neat and the star with the green switch blocks in MM was pretty creative also. However, I really did not like the first star in FF, it just felt out of place with how many differing setups there were previously and kind of felt pretty repetitive.

I think the end of both FF and MM are lacking in quality with the lakitu section since I was looking forward to how the level would finish off, but instead it's just play the same gimmick but now there's a lakitu. During this portion for both levels, it felt like I was playing with a bare-bones version of the gimmick like how it was introduced but there's a lakitu, so it felt pretty repetitive, since you forced yourself in a corner with that decision(I feel as this was the same issue with the first star in MM), at those points it felt like the level was designed around a lakitu rather than the level being designed around the gimmick. (The last dragon coin was the only part that didn't feel like it was a waste of the gimmick in FF).

For FF, another issue with the last section is the foreground. Since there's foreground sometimes lakitu will throw a spiny and you won't know where or why until to a point it's not react-able by the average player and this issue happened with me once. Also, the 1-up location in this area I did not like since it's a pixel tight jump and if you mess up attempting a whole jump you get damaged, but that's more of a minor issue.

For MM, the lakitu portion there was too much sensory overload with 3 switches that are changed by my jump, lakitu's position, and the spiny eggs thrown out. Keeping track of all of these legitimately gave me a headache after playing that section since I had to decision quickly make while dodging an npc that would force me to jump.

For WW, it's kind of weird how the fire piranha plant is fire-proof and the normal one isn't and it's a neat spin on remake levels so I appreciated it that.

Overall, these levels have a strong intro and middle. However, the end and some other areas felt like a wasted potential of designing the gimmick around an aspect rather than the level around the gimmick, so rather than being sated, I'm left hanging and wanting more from the levels.
Also, if you do decide to change aspects of your level based on my review, don't feel like there's a need to rush, since these levels are for a project and taking your times with these would help significantly.
Check Out SMBX Servers List - It Hosts Every SMBX Server

Check out my channel for SMBX content and custom levels

My Best Speedruns:
[WR] Invasion 2 Any% All Characters in 28:28:602

[WR] The Princess Cliche in 7:16:263
[WR]Another Princess Cliche in 23:44:217
[WR] The Great Empire in 15:36:686
[WR]Super Mario Land Returns in 7:18:141
"I am the embodiment of Canada" - Darkonius Makavar

AirShip
Ninji
Ninji
Flair: The Flying Ghost
Current Project: viewtopic.php?f=90&t=22332
Chat Username: AirSheep

Postby AirShip » Fri May 03, 2019 11:37 am

Eclipsed wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 1:39 am
Could you add which ones of these work/were tested with beta 3 and not with maglx3? I tried a couple of these in maglx3 build and the level broke down

Added in 1 hour 19 minutes 13 seconds:
Reviews for the three levels
Overall, I think your levels are fine, but there are some glaring issues in parts of the level.
This review will go through intro, to middle, to stars, to end. (This will mainly focus on MM and FF)

Something that I think you do well is setting up the gimmick with showing the power what occurs rather than telling them like in MM and FF where since the player has to jump, he sees there's a switch block gimmick and in FF how there's coins above the first white ground there's a quicksand gimmick. That being said, it's really weird the WW has a sign that tells you what to do instead of allowing the player to see it, especially since you spawn on a script npc. What I'd suggest is to have a laser at the initial section and have a script npc under a ?block or arrows pointing to it, that way the player will instantly attach the main gimmick of the level.

Furthermore, you bring interesting setups in the initial parts of the level such as the rotodiscs, the saw navigation, and the think before doing in MM and the utilization of enemies to shorten quicksand downtime. And shortly after you expand upon the initial ideas pretty well, so the middle was pretty interesting.

Overall, the star placement is pretty fine with the foreground if you see the shine in FF, neat and the star with the green switch blocks in MM was pretty creative also. However, I really did not like the first star in FF, it just felt out of place with how many differing setups there were previously and kind of felt pretty repetitive.

I think the end of both FF and MM are lacking in quality with the lakitu section since I was looking forward to how the level would finish off, but instead it's just play the same gimmick but now there's a lakitu. During this portion for both levels, it felt like I was playing with a bare-bones version of the gimmick like how it was introduced but there's a lakitu, so it felt pretty repetitive, since you forced yourself in a corner with that decision(I feel as this was the same issue with the first star in MM), at those points it felt like the level was designed around a lakitu rather than the level being designed around the gimmick. (The last dragon coin was the only part that didn't feel like it was a waste of the gimmick in FF).

For FF, another issue with the last section is the foreground. Since there's foreground sometimes lakitu will throw a spiny and you won't know where or why until to a point it's not react-able by the average player and this issue happened with me once. Also, the 1-up location in this area I did not like since it's a pixel tight jump and if you mess up attempting a whole jump you get damaged, but that's more of a minor issue.

For MM, the lakitu portion there was too much sensory overload with 3 switches that are changed by my jump, lakitu's position, and the spiny eggs thrown out. Keeping track of all of these legitimately gave me a headache after playing that section since I had to decision quickly make while dodging an npc that would force me to jump.

For WW, it's kind of weird how the fire piranha plant is fire-proof and the normal one isn't and it's a neat spin on remake levels so I appreciated it that.

Overall, these levels have a strong intro and middle. However, the end and some other areas felt like a wasted potential of designing the gimmick around an aspect rather than the level around the gimmick, so rather than being sated, I'm left hanging and wanting more from the levels.
Also, if you do decide to change aspects of your level based on my review, don't feel like there's a need to rush, since these levels are for a project and taking your times with these would help significantly.
I agree with everything you said (and WW is bad because is a old level, in a time which my level design was more bad than today).

About the lakitu on FF and MM, I was in doubt if was a good idea or no...
Aparently, no.

Thanks for the review.

Return to “Levels”