Super Mario. Tashers Edition (Collaboration) (38a) (Canceled)

Share your work-in-progress SMBX episode or browse and support others'.
Forum rules
Before you make a topic/post, consider the following:
-Is there a topic for this already?
-Does your topic feature proof of progress, i.e., level/world screenshots, wiki page, playable demo.
-Is your post on-topic/appropriate?
-Are you posting in the right forum/following the forum rules?
Core
Grinder
Grinder

Super Mario. Tashers Edition (Collaboration) (38a) (Canceled)

Postby Core » Wed May 16, 2018 9:51 am

Wohlsoft Forums Topic - https://wohlsoft.ru/forum/viewtopic.php?f=62&t=2590

What is this project?:

Super Mario. Tashers Edition - First collaboration project hosted by MyNameIsEric52. Its hugely inspired by SMBX's Standard Episode - "The Invasion 2".

What is the storyline of the project?:

The storyline of our project is pretty simple, and it was written by me and members helped me improving it.
Spoiler: show

Succeeding the events of The Invasion 2, Bowser—desiring for wealth and power—comes to a decision to invade the entirety of the world he is living in. He, who was on the verge of death during the aftermath of The Invasion 2, makes sure he does not fail again; therefore—he, along with his minions—kidnaps Princess Peach and Princess Daisy and invades the whole world. Mario is once again commissioned to stop Bowser from invading any more kingdoms.

Team:

MyNameIsEric52 - Main one.
Eli Oliver - Member

Worlds & Levels:

World 1 - Grassy Plains:
1 level - Super Easy Road (Eric52)
2 level - Super Grassy Grassylands (Eric52)
3 level - Tricky Cave Road (Eli Oliver & Eric52)
4 level - Night Valley (Eric52)
5 level (secret) - The Genesis Lagoon (alphaCPS)
Castle - Boom Boom's Castle (Eric52)
World 2 - Subcon World:
1 level - Subcon's Daymare (Eric52)
2 level - ??? (alphaCPS)
3 level - Subcon River (Eric52)
4 level - Boring SMB2 Cave (Eric52)
5 level (secret) - 2spooky gh0st h0uze (Eric52)
Castle - Mouse's Temple
World 3 - Icy Snowy Lands:
1 level - Pretty n-Ice level
2 level - N-Ice Cave
3 level (secret) - More Spooky Ghost House
World 4 - Yoshi's Cliff:
1 level - Chargin's SMW Plain (Eric52)
2 level - Finally, a SMB3 Underwater level (Eric52)
3 level - Fun Place
4 level - ???
5 level - ???
Castle - ???
World 5 - ???
World 6 - ???
World 7 - ???
Special World - ???

Screens:

World 1

Level Designers:

-MyNameIsEric52
-Eli Oliver
-
-
-
Beta Testers:
-MyNameIsEric52
-
-

Download Demo - https://www.dropbox.com/s/dorc681k21gpg ... o.zip?dl=0

Credit goes to their authors!

You want to support our project? You can do it, by just copying this into your signature!:

Code: Select all

[url=https://www.supermariobrosx.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=90&p=324143#p324143][img]http://i.imgur.com/Bq6rbVT.png[/img][/url]

Also we need more members for our team! Join us! (PM me in discord: Chorpe#2611 )
Last edited by Core on Sun Oct 21, 2018 3:20 am, edited 27 times in total.

Snessy the duck
Ludwig von Koopa
Ludwig von Koopa
Current Project: idk lol

Re: SM. Tashers Edititon (Collaboration)

Postby Snessy the duck » Wed May 16, 2018 9:57 am

What version is this for?

My Switch friend code: SW-5399-6466-3493

Core
Grinder
Grinder

Re: SM. Tashers Edititon (Collaboration) (38a)

Postby Core » Wed May 16, 2018 9:59 am

Snessy the duck: SMBX 38A 1.4.4

Code: Select all

[url=https://www.supermariobrosx.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=90&p=324143#p324143][img]http://i.imgur.com/Bq6rbVT.png[/img][/url]

TheNewGuy
Eerie
Eerie
Chat Username: TNG

Re: Super Mario. Tashers Edition (Collaboration) (38a)

Postby TheNewGuy » Fri May 18, 2018 9:03 am

Isn't the level from the first screenshot a copy from the invasion 2?
I support:

Core
Grinder
Grinder

Postby Core » Sun May 20, 2018 3:06 am

More like, spinoff. Or the inspired level.

Westretroman
Nipper Plant
Nipper Plant

Postby Westretroman » Sun May 20, 2018 6:31 am

It's not really a spinoff or being very inspired, when the setup is 50% about the same, the bricks, the toad, and the locked door. For example: just like art, you can reinvent an idea in a more creative way, changing the purple bricks to red and not changing the layout is not one way of being creative or inspired.

Core
Grinder
Grinder

Postby Core » Sun May 20, 2018 9:02 am

Westretroman: Nothing to say, expect that its not really a copy of the level. And the level itself isn't really that much "copied" expect for that part in the screen.

FireyPaperMario
Peach
Peach
Flair: 90's kid born in late 1993 ^_^
Current Project: Nothing atm
Chat Username: Shin FireyPaperMario

Postby FireyPaperMario » Sun May 20, 2018 11:39 am

the name of World 1 of this 38A episode is called "Easy World"? Now that's creative! :lol:

Westretroman
Nipper Plant
Nipper Plant

Postby Westretroman » Sun May 20, 2018 12:08 pm

MyNameIsEric52 wrote:
Sun May 20, 2018 9:02 am
Westretroman: Nothing to say, expect that its not really a copy of the level. And the level itself isn't really that much "copied" expect for that part in the screen.
Sorry if it sounds like I'm complaining but yeah, I meant that part of the level. Not the whole thing.

Core
Grinder
Grinder

Postby Core » Sun May 20, 2018 3:16 pm

Development Blog #1:

So this is our first development blog, and here, i will be uploading our progress in this project. Also expect more development blogs, because school is almost done!
Anyways, the development goes slowly and quiet so far. Eli Oliver is making an intro for our project, AlphaCPS is still doing his level for World 1.. I did 3 new levels so far (World 1 Castle, World 1 Bonus 1 and World 2 Level 1).
Heres image progress so far. 1st screen is Boom Booms Castle, 2nd and 3rd is Subcon's Daymare (world 2)

Core
Grinder
Grinder

Postby Core » Fri May 25, 2018 6:21 am

Development Blog #2:

First thing i want to say is, well, our development is slowing down. So we in need of helpers! Anyways, so i made a world 3, and world 4 map, also i made a first Ghost House level, and im making a Castle for World 2.
Progress:

PixelPest
Link
Link
Flair: Tamer of Boom Booms
Current Project: Boom Boom Evolution
Chat Username: PixelPest

Postby PixelPest » Fri May 25, 2018 6:58 am

In the first screen it just doesn't look great. There's a lot of enemy variety so it looks more like the set-ups are just spamming the player with a ton of different enemies. I'd also suggest getting rid of the fire piranha and flying dry bones. I feel like just using the other three enemies you could make a much better experience for the player

Core
Grinder
Grinder

Postby Core » Fri May 25, 2018 7:26 am

PixelPest: thats not fire piranha. I'll get rid of flying dry bones. Thanks for advice!

Core
Grinder
Grinder

Postby Core » Mon May 28, 2018 6:45 am

Development Blog #3:

First thing to say: Seems like demo will be out soon! We are trying to finish the demo as soon as we can (especially me)
World 3 is done, and demo will contain: world 1, world 2, world 3 and even a bit of world 4!
And here is some screenshots!

Eri7
Banned
Flair: Hard work pays off sooner or later
Current Project: SMNZ (38A) + SMNP1 (38A) + MKA(2.0) + TNV (2.0/38A) + TNVL (2.0/38A) + SMNP2 (2.0) + SMNR (2.0)
Chat Username: Eri7

Postby Eri7 » Mon May 28, 2018 7:43 am

MyNameIsEric52 wrote:
Mon May 28, 2018 6:45 am

Development Blog #3:

First thing to say: Seems like demo will be out soon! We are trying to finish the demo as soon as we can (especially me)
World 3 is done, and demo will contain: world 1, world 2, world 3 and even a bit of world 4!
And here is some screenshots!
The screenshots look nice , good luck with your project.

Core
Grinder
Grinder

Postby Core » Tue May 29, 2018 6:43 am

Eri7: Thanks.

Development Blog #4

Looks like we'll finish World 2 soon, and then, we will upload a public demo (it will be beta tested ofc, before it will be uploaded)
AlphaCPS is building a 2nd level for world 2, since Eli Oliver seems to be busy with making intro/cutscene for our project.
GIF:
Also screens from 2 finished levels:

Core
Grinder
Grinder

Postby Core » Thu Jun 07, 2018 4:59 am

So i want to say this (finally..). I've done with demo! Also sad news: alphaCPS decided to leave our team. Wishing luck to him! Anyways:
Download Demo - https://www.dropbox.com/s/dorc681k21gpg ... o.zip?dl=0
Also we need a level designers and beta testers!

Eri7
Banned
Flair: Hard work pays off sooner or later
Current Project: SMNZ (38A) + SMNP1 (38A) + MKA(2.0) + TNV (2.0/38A) + TNVL (2.0/38A) + SMNP2 (2.0) + SMNR (2.0)
Chat Username: Eri7

Postby Eri7 » Thu Jun 07, 2018 12:55 pm

Hey , i played your demo and i thought i should give you a review because your project is inspiring and it feels like The Invasion 2 but on 38A. Here are some overall opinions of the demo and then i will give out my opinions on the level individually , so the demo was nice but some parts of it were a bit too hard and the levels were short , some managed to pull some kind of an average length but most of it was short and that's a shame because the Invasion 2 had way longer levels and just imagine if your levels were a bit longer , it would have been way better. I see that a lot of levels were inspired by their Invasion 2 counter part and thats both good and bad , its good because this is like a new take on the ideas and the level design and it feels nostalgic if you liked/played the invasion 2 but its bad because it removes originality and sometimes it feels like you are playing The Invasion 2 with slightly tweaked level design and changed graphics but i'm just gonna say that i liked it if you were going for a simple project , however if you want this project to be a great one then experiment more with the ideas/level design on the levels so they can stand out from their Invasion 2 counterpart. The World Map feels like it was directly taken from The Invasion 2 and slightly changed and that's a bit disappointing considering just how better you could have made it to be. Also i would like to see more custom bosses because there were already vanilla ones in The Invasion 2 and it would be better if you change all of the vanilla ones with custom ones. Ok now to level reviewing!
Level 1
The level was very short , really , very short.
The Difficulty was average with bits of difficult parts like the venus pirahna plant that shoots 2 fireballs , the muncher part and the end part with the flying goomba , speaking of the flying goomba , did you know that if the mini goombas touch peach and link , they can't get them off because they have no spinjump , yeahhh that sucks... And i don't like that you used it on the last part of the level , it deserved its own space.
The music is overused so i didn't like it.
So my suggestions are to increase the length of the level , work more on the gimmicks with the moving pipes/pirahna plants and design a section only for mario/luigi/toad with the flying goomba + mini goombas and you might get some decent results.
Level 2
So yet again , very short length.
The Difficulty is average but it was hard to get on the second moving pipe , i suggest you to make it move a bit lower , also enemies on the start screen is bad level design because im required to have fast reactions to avoid them , please give the player a breathing room on the start screen , its the second level , you don't have to make it stressful. Also the mini mushroom was a very wasted opportunity to make the next section interesting instead of "Hey here is a mini mushroom to get to the second section and then hey here is the exit of the level , too bad you won't get to use the mini mushroom in the level".
The graphics were nice , i liked them.
So my suggestions are to increase the length of the level , work more on the gimmicks with the moving pipes and design the second section to be around the mini mushroom,
Level 3
Finally , an average length , but it still felt a bit short tho.
The Difficulty was again average but i don't like that you still made the same mistake as with the last level in terms of the starting screen , remember , breathing room is important especially at the start of the level.
I feel like the level was a bit bland because it didn't introduce the player to new gimmicks and also the graphics could have used some improvement cough cough Senduair's SMB1 graphics pack , especially with his cave tileset that includes a lot more bgos than the fence bgo in the level.
My Suggestions are to add some kind of a gimmick that is interesting and redesign the level around it and also improve the aesthetics of the level.
Level 4
Short length is back :(
This level felt a bit hard because the part with the chain chomp and the venus pirahna plant was a nightmare , just why did you think it would be a great idea to place 2 npc's that are hard to avoid on the same place and also the wooden block that was holding the chain chomp wasn't solid but it looked like solid so better make it darker to look like a bgo instead and either remove the chain chomp/venus pirahna plant or add a enough distance between them so the player could have some breathing room to work with. Also yet again , there are npcs in the starting screen, please some breathing room... The level felt like it was copied / pasted from it's original counter part in the invasion 2 and was slightly redesigned. Also why does the key appear BEHIND toad when you beat his challenge instead in front of him or near him , how is the player supposed to know that there is a key behind him , just don't ever put important objects that are required to beat the level in such dumb spots.
Yeah yeah the music was overused ,i will stop posting this comment because you already read it like 3 times ...
My Suggestions are to make the level bigger , add some breathing room , experiment with new gimmicks or make the current gimmick way more interesting that the way it was presented in Invasion 2 and this might turn the level into a decent level.
Level 5
Uhh the length felt like average but looks like its short again... something in between i guess...
Difficulty is average , the first section had such a good opportunity to be something great but it got wasted in order to be the starting screen , the second section felt a little bland with no interesting gimmicks and only one power up ...
The Music was decent this time , good job for not using something that was overused!
So my suggestions are to design the first section to be like 20/30% of the level as it had such a great opportunity to make the level feel like it was totally original and could really stand out from the rest of the levels and add some kind of a interesting gimmick in the second section and also increase the length of the level.
Level 6
I'm sorry but i think this was the worst level i played in the demo because of how frustrating it was to play through. The Difficulty was hard and in some places unfair and the length was short yet again , the birdo had way too many health and the fireball could one shot the player , that's not fair and on top of that , it spawns little projectiles along it's path that make the experience more frustrating because you gave the player only one power in this level and no power ups before the birdo boss fight...
There were cool gimmicks in this level that ended up being very underused and that's sad... One bug i found in the level is when you use the stop watch, you can't climb vines anymore and that made me die several times , please remove the stop watch , it had no purpose in the level.
So my suggestions are to add more power ups in the level , don't make the fireball of the birdo to be able to one shot you , make the length a lot bigger considering that you had interesting gimmicks and they ended up being underused , also the star at the star felt a bit like a waste because it wasn't used properly , better add some enemies that you could kill with the star easily and if you manage to kill them all , then give the player a reward , maybe power up or a one up.
Level 7
Short Length , very short length.
The Difficulty was average expect that unfair part with the pirahna plant on the pipe that leads you to the second section , to be honest , i don't know if i could call this a level when its so shoooort.
My suggestions are to make the length longer , like way longer , use your gimmicks that and don't place such unfair stuff like that pirahna plant on the pipe.
Level 8
Why is the length so short , the whole level felt like it was still WIP , not finished ...
The Difficulty is average , i really liked the first section , too bad the level didn't do that much with it considering its length and the second section had these very fast topredos , why are they so fast , it seems a bit unfair.
My suggestions are to make the level longer , BOTH sections included and USE your gimmicks.
Level 9
This level had too short length but i felt a bit like an average one , yet again underused gimmicks ... The Difficulty felt average , a bit easy on times so my suggestions are to make the level longer , use your gimmicks , blah blah blah im repeating myself ... so uhh yeah and also think about how the level would feel if you played with toad/peach/link ... i don't think it would be very fun experience like the mario/luigi one because of the yoshi focused gimmick.
Level 10
Such a beautiful level , too bad it had a short length and underused gimmicks , speaking of gimmicks , why did you include the shell power up , the level is not designed for this power up so why did you include it , it feels like such a waste. The difficulty was average and a bit hard on some places because of the npc spam.
My suggestions are to make the level longer , use more the gimmicks with the walljump and remove the blue shell power up , it doesn't belong there.
Level 11
I guess this project is about short levels ...
The difficulty is average and yet again Blah blah blah , this means underused gimmicks.
I liked how the level look , i think this is the best looking level in your demo but aesthetics won't save your level when the gameplay just feels awkward.
My Suggestions are yet again , use more your gimmicks , make the levels longer and blah blah blah , you get it.
Level 12
Yeahhh im not gonna talk about the length anymore..
The difficulty was average and the level felt like a copy paste from it's Invasion 2 counter part , i didn't see anything new involved in it so uhh yeah ... My suggestions are to add some kind of a interesting gimmick that could make it stand out form its invasion 2 counter part , increase the length and maybe change the environment , that depends if the new gimmick makes the level stand out or not.
Level 13
COMMENT DELETED BECAUSE OF SPAM
The difficulty was average , yet agaiiiiiin underused gimmicks ... and only one power up ... See man , i don't want to make you feel bad but you are repeating the same mistakes over and over and over again... Do i really need to continue the review at this point? Well i have to do it anyways...
Suggestions , same as the the other levels.
Castle 1
Yeah SPAM.
The Difficulty was a bit difficult , i felt like the level was really testing my skills until you know ... it ended way too fast because ... the length of the level.
Cool Gimmicks , i wish the level was longer to see them more in action and i also would have liked if you used a custom boss instead of the vanilla one in the castle level. My suggestions are to make the level longer and then use the same gimmicks as the rest of the level and also change the vanilla boss to a custom one instead.
Castle 2
The Difficulty was average , i would have liked if the level changed once you got the key like the phantom masks start to follow you and stuff and would have liked if the walljump gimmick was used a lot more , to be honest every time you include the wall jump , at least make it seem like it belongs in the level and its not only for 1/2 parts of the level that you have to use it.
The boss was vanilla so yet again , i would have liked it if there was a custom boss instead.
My suggestions are to make the level a bit longer , make something cool happens when you get the key instead of the background changing and use more the wall jump.
Ghost House 1
I couldn't beat the level , i honestly have no idea on how to beat , i tried a lot of different stuff but nothing worked , this is just very frustrating so i can't give you a full review of it , however i felt like the level was a bit hard and unfair on some places especially with the ghost pirahna plant , i died a several times there and some of the boos were place a bit unfairly because it stopped me from making long jumps.
My suggestions are to lower the difficulty and make it easier to beat the level. And if the level ends up being short , well you know already my answer to that.
Ghost House 2
I think this is the level with the best atmosphere and it makes it completely STAND OUT from the rest of the levels , it feels like its pure originality and i love it , there was some npc spam and the level felt a bit short but if you make the level longer , reduce some of the npc spam and put one more power up , i think this would be a very interesting and fun level to play.
So this was my review of Super Mario. Tashers Edition , it felt like a decent start but with too many mistakes that are easy to fix/avoid if you are willing to do so, i hope you get to fix them because this project seems like a interesting replacement of the Invasion 2 for 38A , i wish you good luck with your project , i would gladly beta test IF you are willing to listen to my criticism like this one right here.
Well i hope you didn't get offended and if you think i am biased ,thats ok , i just have very high expectations and i saw a great potential in this project but it got buried under all of the mistakes you have made in your levels. So yeah , you can call me a Troll , hate me , disagree with me but that was my honest review of this project and the only reason i posted it is because i saw the potential that his project has and i want it to be discovered!

Enjl
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg
Flair: Orphion Egamalenitar Osmos IV, Esq.

Postby Enjl » Thu Jun 07, 2018 7:39 pm

You could've given some examples for how the gimmicks of the levels could've been used. I'm sure they would appreciate a bit of direction, because "make the level longer" is a suggestion that more often than not ends in senseless padding.
Don't agree with your issues on "overused music" at all, though. What's wrong if a level's asset has been used before? If it fits what the level is going for, I don't see an issue.
Also the point on using custom bosses seems like it's disregarding the fact that this is trying to be like The Invasion 2. The Invasion 2 was made to show the editor's out-of-the-box basic features, and I wouldn't class "scripting" one of them due to how the scope explodes once it's included.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

glitch4
Ludwig von Koopa
Ludwig von Koopa

Postby glitch4 » Fri Jun 08, 2018 5:37 am

As a supporter of your project, I tried this out and made a vid:

Return to “Projects”