Super Mario World X Preview

Share your work-in-progress SMBX episode or browse and support others'.
SuperMarioGrava
Koopa Troopa
Koopa Troopa
Flair: I'm not smart.
Current Project: Nothing, and never will again.
Chat Username: Kyle

Super Mario World X Preview

Postby SuperMarioGrava » Fri May 22, 2020 11:17 am

Here are some screenshots of the first level of SMWX:

I believe I can buy.

WildWEEGEE
Koopa Shell
Koopa Shell
Current Project: things
Chat Username: WildWEEGEE

Re: Super Mario World X Preview

Postby WildWEEGEE » Fri May 22, 2020 2:51 pm

From the second screenshot, it looks like you didn't use any proper ending tiles for the ground, it kinda just cuts off. Also, I would try using consistent textures (if you are going to use smb3 goombas use only smb3 goombas, the smb1 goombas don't really fit alongside them.) The same thing applies with the koopas but mostly for a different reason which is that SMW koopas and SMB1 koopas function differently, they aren't just skins of the same enemy. If you can use that as some gimmick for a level that would be cool but from what I can tell everything is mix-matched because you just wanted to add a bunch of different enemies for the sake of having a bunch of different looking enemies. I used to do the same thing as did a lot of people so I don't really blame you but consider sticking to a theme for each level.
I have absolutely no idea what my current project is... My interests always seem to shift
I support: show
ImageImage
Looking back at every one of my posts, I cringe, hard, very hard.

SuperMarioGrava
Koopa Troopa
Koopa Troopa

Postby SuperMarioGrava » Fri May 22, 2020 2:56 pm

WildWEEGEE wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 2:51 pm
From the second screenshot, it looks like you didn't use any proper ending tiles for the ground, it kinda just cuts off. Also, I would try using consistent textures (if you are going to use smb3 goombas use only smb3 goombas, the smb1 goombas don't really fit alongside them.) The same thing applies with the koopas but mostly for a different reason which is that SMW koopas and SMB1 koopas function differently, they aren't just skins of the same enemy. If you can use that as some gimmick for a level that would be cool but from what I can tell everything is mix-matched because you just wanted to add a bunch of different enemies for the sake of having a bunch of different looking enemies. I used to do the same thing as did a lot of people so I don't really blame you but consider sticking to a theme for each level.
I don't think I added SMW koopas in this level, and I'm sorry about the mixing styles, I just don't wanna overuse the SMB3 sprites like everyone else does. As for the ending tiles, I don't know how to make it look "proper". I just put what I could.

Added in 1 minute 48 seconds:
Oh. Never mind about the Koopa thing.
I believe I can buy.

WildWEEGEE
Koopa Shell
Koopa Shell

Postby WildWEEGEE » Fri May 22, 2020 3:07 pm

SuperMarioGrava wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 2:57 pm
I don't think I added SMW koopas in this level, and I'm sorry about the mixing styles, I just don't wanna overuse the SMB3 sprites like everyone else does. As for the ending tiles, I don't know how to make it look "proper". I just put what I could.
Ending tile as in these things:

I have absolutely no idea what my current project is... My interests always seem to shift
ImageImage

SuperMarioGrava
Koopa Troopa
Koopa Troopa

Postby SuperMarioGrava » Fri May 22, 2020 3:09 pm

Well, I didn't put those because I kinda rushed the level and I wanted to get it over quick.
I believe I can buy.

Enjl
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg
Flair: Orphion Egamalenitar Osmos IV, Esq.

Postby Enjl » Fri May 22, 2020 3:29 pm

SuperMarioGrava wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 3:09 pm
Well, I didn't put those because I kinda rushed the level and I wanted to get it over quick.
That doesn't sound like a very promising statement when looking at an entire episode. Are all other levels also going to get rushed? What about the episode as a whole? If you already got bored by the first level, how many do you think you will finish before abandoning the project? It might be better to focus on standalone levels, so that every level even when rushed will truly be part of a complete package once finished.

By the way, what was the driving factor behind choosing 1-1 to remake instead of any other level, or making a level from your own ideas? It strikes me as somewhat odd to proclaim to be making an episode, only having a remake of a level remade an infinite amount of times in the past, and then getting bored of it halfway through development. I'm not meaning to ridicule the choice, I'm mainly thinking that perhaps the reason for rushing may have been that the concept of remaking levels isn't all too appealing to you? If that's the case I totally understand, since there isn't much creative drive within a slightly altered remake so it feels like just needless self-limitation. Try to be inspired by what you find in the engine, even if the result ends up disjointed. For example, one thing I used to do a lot a long time ago was fit entire episode plots into a single level. With multiple checkpoints that can be a really neat way to quickly tell a story you want to tell without committing to monthlong projects.
Please do not use any of my assets (graphics, scripts) in works affiliated with the Novaverse. This applies to the original releases of those assets as well as any third-party variations (recolours, script alterations). Thank you.

The ABC of Creation

WildWEEGEE
Koopa Shell
Koopa Shell

Postby WildWEEGEE » Fri May 22, 2020 3:32 pm

"Patience you must have, my young padawan."

-Obviously yoda who else talks like that

If you want to make a good level then you need to put time in it, even the easiest level in a game should take patience to build.
ImageImage

SuperMarioGrava
Koopa Troopa
Koopa Troopa

Postby SuperMarioGrava » Fri May 22, 2020 6:20 pm

Somebody lock this thread please. I'm no longer working on SMWX.
I believe I can buy.

Idunn
Rex
Rex
Flair: Robotic
Current Project: Super Mario World - Mother Brain Calamity Part 1
Chat Username: Name you never find

Postby Idunn » Sat May 23, 2020 8:53 am

SuperMarioGrava wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 6:20 pm
Somebody lock this thread please. I'm no longer working on SMWX.
So you posted three screens of the First rushed Level you did, and after people commented on it you don’t even give them any response but suddenly say you don’t work on this anymore?

Please tell us, that there is a different reason for the end of this besides my message.
Spoiler: show

FireyPaperMario wrote:
Thu Apr 23, 2020 3:09 pm
do you really want me banned from this server

Return to “Projects”