Super Mario Bros. 1X (Oh no!)

Share your work-in-progress SMBX episode or browse and support others'.
Forum rules
Before you make a topic/post, consider the following:
-Is there a topic for this already?
-Does your topic feature proof of progress, i.e., level/world screenshots, wiki page, playable demo.
-Is your post on-topic/appropriate?
-Are you posting in the right forum/following the forum rules?
underFlo
Mario
Mario
Flair: sup im lesbiab
Current Project: actually nothing i lied to you
Chat Username: underFlo

Super Mario Bros. 1X (Oh no!)

Postby underFlo » Mon Aug 15, 2016 7:31 pm

Okay, so...

this thread gaining interest made me take another look at this project, what it was meant to be, and what it currently is.

As you may know, SMB1X has been in development hell for multiple years now. As such, a lot of the levels are also pretty damn old. As a result, they're simply not up to my standards anymore. A lot of them expanded on the original levels by merely adding slopes and graphical gimmicks - only a few of the levels added any gimmicks and if they did they were either bad or underutilized.

I think in order for this to actually be worth playing in its own right it needs to have more of an identity. It should still be based off SMB1, but more loosely compared to what we have now.

Additionally, the LCJ world map has raised the standards for world maps considerably, and I feel a more interconnected world map will help this feel more unique.

Since this means essentially starting from scratch I guess you can consider SMB1X cancelled so rip the meme? Some of the stuff (ie the lua codes for the whole game which are rather recent) will be reused, but the levels and world map will be something new. Once this is in a presentable state I will probably make a new project thread and may even use a different name (although SMB1X is a really good name).
Previous OP: show
What used to be a collab with Marina and Blueoak but now it's just me!

While this project's been abandoned forever I think there's been a long enough break for me to have some interest in it again.

Basically the concept is a remake of SMB1 for SMBX, but with our own twists.

Here is an example, taken from world 7-1:
Spoiler: show
Original:

SMB1X:

The idea is basically that we take the levels and worlds from the original SMB1 and assign them themes from newer SMB games. The worlds will be as follows:

World 1 - Grass - Mushroom Kingdom Plains
World 2 - Beach - Soda Beach
World 3 - Snow - Slippy Snow Land
World 4 - Desert - Dry Dry Desert
World 5 - Forest - Forest of Illusion
World 6 - Mountains - Vanilla Mountain
World 7 - Clouds - Nimbus Land
World 8 - Lava - Vista Hill
World 9 - Starworld - Rainbow Road
Minus World - ??? - ???

Now have some screenshots:
New Screenshots (11/4/15)
New Screenshots (11/14/15)
World 1 - 5 & Demo World
World 9 (11/4/15)
Minus World (11/14/15)
Flagpole (10/21/16)
Videos (10/24/16)

This should be done relatively soon hopefully this decade.

We will keep you updated on how it's going, and we hope you're looking forward to it. :P

Demo 2 Download

Demo 1 Download

Support logo:

Also thanks to Marina and Blueoak for having been part of this as well as bossedit8 and Darkonius for helping with this!
Last edited by underFlo on Tue Aug 16, 2016 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
im a girl yo

MarioKirby101
Bit
Bit
Current Project: Super Mario Bros 1 Remastered

Re: Super Mario Bros. 1X

Postby MarioKirby101 » Mon Aug 15, 2016 7:37 pm

Well, glad to see some screenshots... they look pretty good. This is the project that inspired my own SMB1 project, actually.
Super Mario Bros 1 Remastered ;)

underFlo
Mario
Mario

Re: Super Mario Bros. 1X (Update 8/16/16)

Postby underFlo » Tue Aug 16, 2016 4:01 pm

This should've been obvious just from the fact that I'm working on this, but SMB1X will use LunaLua! The most frequent application will be flagpoles, a WIP gif of which you can see here:
Only things missing are the score and entering the castle after the level is finished. Since a lot of levels were made without LunaLua in mind, it'll mostly be used for the flagpole and a custom HUD, although some gimmicks in SMB1 that weren't in SMBX will also be recreated.

Also, some news on how progression will work:

Up until world 8-4, everything's pretty much like in SMB1, but each world will have an entrance to one level in the Minus World. In each of those levels, you can get a Star (represented by a floating Wiggler head). Those Stars are used to unlock the levels 9-2, 9-3 and 9-4, while 9-1 is accessible after beating 8-4. Additionally, 9-1, 9-2 and 9-3 will also house a Star, leading to 11 stars in total. You need 4 Stars to unlock 9-2, 7 Stars to unlock 9-3 and 11 Stars to unlock 9-4, the final level of this episode.

I hope you're looking forward to SMB1X!

Thanks to everyone who's helped with SMB1X so far!
Last edited by underFlo on Wed Aug 17, 2016 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
im a girl yo

MarioKirby101
Bit
Bit

Postby MarioKirby101 » Tue Aug 16, 2016 5:04 pm

Spinda wrote: Also, some news on how progression will work:

Up until world 8-4, everything's pretty much like in SMB1, but each world will have an entrance to one level in the Minus World. In each of those levels, you can get a Star (represented by a floating Wiggler head). Those Stars are used to unlock the levels 9-2, 9-3 and 9-4, while 9-1 is accessible after beating 8-4. Additionally, 9-1, 9-2 and 9-3 will also house a Star, leading to 11 stars in total. You need 4 Stars to unlock 9-2, 7 Stars to unlock 9-3 and 11 Stars to unlock 9-4, the final level of this episode.
So World 9 does have more than 1 level...

Snessy the duck
Ludwig von Koopa
Ludwig von Koopa
Current Project: idk lol

Postby Snessy the duck » Wed Aug 17, 2016 2:24 pm

Spinda wrote:This should've been obvious just from the fact that I'm working on this, but SMB1X will use LunaLua! The most frequent application will be flagpoles, a WIP gif of which you can see here:
Only things missing are the score and entering the castle after the level is finished. Since a lot of levels were made without LunaLua in mind, it'll mostly be used for the flagpole and a custom HUD, although some gimmicks in SMB1 that weren't in SMBX will also be recreated.

Also, some news on how progression will work:

I hope you're looking forward to SMB1X!

Thanks to everyone who's helped with SMB1X so far!
I think the clinbing a vine animation looks super odd, maybe change it to the SMB3 one (You could make a seperate climbing animation for the flagpoles!)

Also, I don't like the design of the minus world stages at all! They don't look good, and the graphics are really unfitting since this is a SMB1 episode! How about making them glitchy-looking SMB1 styled levels instead (You know, like a castle using the overworld tileset, or a overworld level using the underwater tileset, like the actual minus world!)

Other than that though, this looks very promising so far! I'd be glad to play though this old classic with a new twist! Good luck!

My Switch friend code: SW-5399-6466-3493

underFlo
Mario
Mario

Postby underFlo » Wed Aug 17, 2016 2:47 pm

Those levels are something that's definitely subject to change, however, the point of the Minus World is to be strange and unfitting. I'll see how it goes though.
im a girl yo

underFlo
Mario
Mario

Postby underFlo » Thu Aug 18, 2016 7:38 am

Snessy the duck wrote:I think the clinbing a vine animation looks super odd, maybe change it to the SMB3 one (You could make a seperate climbing animation for the flagpoles!)
Instead of that, I coded it so that when climbing on vines the player is centered:
im a girl yo

Snessy the duck
Ludwig von Koopa
Ludwig von Koopa

Postby Snessy the duck » Thu Aug 18, 2016 12:15 pm

Spinda wrote:
Snessy the duck wrote:I think the clinbing a vine animation looks super odd, maybe change it to the SMB3 one (You could make a seperate climbing animation for the flagpoles!)
Instead of that, I coded it so that when climbing on vines the player is centered:
Oh, that's pretty cool! Can you turn around on the vine like in SMB1?

Also, did you see my suggestion to change the design of the minus world levels?

underFlo
Mario
Mario

Postby underFlo » Thu Aug 18, 2016 1:02 pm

I've already responded to that suggestion.

Also, I'll probably implement that, too. Wasn't sure if you could do that in SMB1.
im a girl yo

Snessy the duck
Ludwig von Koopa
Ludwig von Koopa

Postby Snessy the duck » Fri Aug 19, 2016 12:17 pm

Spinda wrote:I've already responded to that suggestion.

Also, I'll probably implement that, too. Wasn't sure if you could do that in SMB1.
Oh, I didn't see that post! Sorry for asking again! Also, I have to report you for double-posting, I'm sorry. Whoops seems like you didn't break any rules anyway! Sorry.
Also, you could turn around on vines in SMB1 (At least in Super Mario Maker!)

Turret 3471
Ripper II
Ripper II

Postby Turret 3471 » Sat Aug 20, 2016 8:59 pm

How have I not found this until now? This looks absolutely incredible!!! I can't wait until it's finished! =D
I support:
Image Image
Image OHNO

Gud quotes
Witchking666 wrote:that looks aweozme alwo, sorrt im ik a big drunk. i may have drunk a lttle rtoo muxj beer with erik.

SuperMarioUltra
Shy Guy
Shy Guy

Postby SuperMarioUltra » Fri Sep 02, 2016 7:15 pm

I can't wait to see what it looks like in full version!

Mariogamer435
Koopa Troopa
Koopa Troopa
Current Project: Super Mario - 8 Stars

Postby Mariogamer435 » Sat Sep 03, 2016 7:24 am

Nice looking episode! Keep up the good work!
Hi! It's nice to see you reading this. I'm a very big mario fan but I do play other games alot too! For example team fortress 2. I love that game! Mario has been with me since my childhood so there is no chance I would hate Mario. Don't be afraid to talk with me, I will be nice to everyone on the site!

My first lovely game was super Mario 64. And yep, Mario is the protagonist! That game is really amazing! It explains alot how I became a big fan of Mario! (and gaming ofcourse!). But I don't only play games, I do other fun activities! For example, reading and learning new things! Reading is because it is very fun and make you a creative person! Learning new things (for example in biology) boosts my confidence more and more!

I found out about Smbx for a long time. I always loved it! I'm working on a project too!

Thank you so much and have a nice day!

Enchlore
Mega Mole
Mega Mole

Postby Enchlore » Wed Sep 07, 2016 2:04 pm

Snessy the duck wrote:Also, you could turn around on vines in SMB1 (At least in Super Mario Maker!)
You couldn't, whenever you found a vine and touched it, Mario/Luigi would automatically climb all the way up. Vines were only used as hidden entrances to coin heavens or warp zones so free climbing wasn't needed.

Snessy the duck
Ludwig von Koopa
Ludwig von Koopa

Postby Snessy the duck » Thu Sep 08, 2016 1:18 pm

Enchlore wrote:
Snessy the duck wrote:Also, you could turn around on vines in SMB1 (At least in Super Mario Maker!)
You couldn't, whenever you found a vine and touched it, Mario/Luigi would automatically climb all the way up. Vines were only used as hidden entrances to coin heavens or warp zones so free climbing wasn't needed.
Well, that's not actually 100% True! When you entered the bonus area, you could actually climb up and down on the fully grown vine if you made contact with it! It was totally pointless, but atleast you could do it! Also, you could do it in SMM, so it technically counts imo!

underFlo
Mario
Mario

Postby underFlo » Thu Oct 20, 2016 2:53 pm

progress what???
im a girl yo

underFlo
Mario
Mario

Re: Super Mario Bros. 1X (Demo #2 10/24/16)

Postby underFlo » Mon Oct 24, 2016 2:43 pm

An all-new demo is out!

Make sure you're using SMBX 2.0 Beta 3.

Also:

im a girl yo

MarioKirby101
Bit
Bit

Postby MarioKirby101 » Mon Oct 24, 2016 7:17 pm

This looks great! I'll play it as soon as I can.

PixelPest
Link
Link
Flair: Tamer of Boom Booms
Current Project: Boom Boom Evolution
Chat Username: PixelPest

Postby PixelPest » Mon Oct 24, 2016 9:38 pm

I'll record what I can if I have time

PixelPest
Link
Link
Flair: Tamer of Boom Booms
Current Project: Boom Boom Evolution
Chat Username: PixelPest

Postby PixelPest » Tue Oct 25, 2016 5:53 pm

Here's the first four levels:

Great job Spinda! Overall it seems great so far, except for the boss in World 2. Could you make the spring balls have a little bit bigger hitboxes? They're really quite picky and somewhat frustrating

Return to “Projects”