Page 1 of 3

Super Mario Bros. 1X (Oh no!)

Posted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 7:31 pm
by underFlo
Okay, so...

this thread gaining interest made me take another look at this project, what it was meant to be, and what it currently is.

As you may know, SMB1X has been in development hell for multiple years now. As such, a lot of the levels are also pretty damn old. As a result, they're simply not up to my standards anymore. A lot of them expanded on the original levels by merely adding slopes and graphical gimmicks - only a few of the levels added any gimmicks and if they did they were either bad or underutilized.

I think in order for this to actually be worth playing in its own right it needs to have more of an identity. It should still be based off SMB1, but more loosely compared to what we have now.

Additionally, the LCJ world map has raised the standards for world maps considerably, and I feel a more interconnected world map will help this feel more unique.

Since this means essentially starting from scratch I guess you can consider SMB1X cancelled so rip the meme? Some of the stuff (ie the lua codes for the whole game which are rather recent) will be reused, but the levels and world map will be something new. Once this is in a presentable state I will probably make a new project thread and may even use a different name (although SMB1X is a really good name).
Previous OP: show
What used to be a collab with Marina and Blueoak but now it's just me!

While this project's been abandoned forever I think there's been a long enough break for me to have some interest in it again.

Image

Basically the concept is a remake of SMB1 for SMBX, but with our own twists.

Here is an example, taken from world 7-1:
Spoiler: show
Original:

Image

SMB1X:

Image
The idea is basically that we take the levels and worlds from the original SMB1 and assign them themes from newer SMB games. The worlds will be as follows:

World 1 - Grass - Mushroom Kingdom Plains
World 2 - Beach - Soda Beach
World 3 - Snow - Slippy Snow Land
World 4 - Desert - Dry Dry Desert
World 5 - Forest - Forest of Illusion
World 6 - Mountains - Vanilla Mountain
World 7 - Clouds - Nimbus Land
World 8 - Lava - Vista Hill
World 9 - Starworld - Rainbow Road
Minus World - ??? - ???


Now have some screenshots:
Spoiler: show
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
New Screenshots (11/4/15)
Spoiler: show
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
New Screenshots (11/14/15)
Spoiler: show
Image
Image
World 1 - 5 & Demo World
Spoiler: show
Image
Image
Image
World 9 (11/4/15)
Spoiler: show
Image
Minus World (11/14/15)
Spoiler: show
Image
Flagpole (10/21/16)
Spoiler: show
Image
Videos (10/24/16)
Spoiler: show


This should be done relatively soon hopefully this decade.

We will keep you updated on how it's going, and we hope you're looking forward to it. :P

Demo 2 Download

Demo 1 Download

Support logo:

Image

Also thanks to Marina and Blueoak for having been part of this as well as bossedit8 and Darkonius for helping with this!

Re: Super Mario Bros. 1X

Posted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 7:37 pm
by MarioKirby101
Well, glad to see some screenshots... they look pretty good. This is the project that inspired my own SMB1 project, actually.

Re: Super Mario Bros. 1X (Update 8/16/16)

Posted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 4:01 pm
by underFlo
This should've been obvious just from the fact that I'm working on this, but SMB1X will use LunaLua! The most frequent application will be flagpoles, a WIP gif of which you can see here:
Spoiler: show
Image
Only things missing are the score and entering the castle after the level is finished. Since a lot of levels were made without LunaLua in mind, it'll mostly be used for the flagpole and a custom HUD, although some gimmicks in SMB1 that weren't in SMBX will also be recreated.

Also, some news on how progression will work:

Up until world 8-4, everything's pretty much like in SMB1, but each world will have an entrance to one level in the Minus World. In each of those levels, you can get a Star (represented by a floating Wiggler head). Those Stars are used to unlock the levels 9-2, 9-3 and 9-4, while 9-1 is accessible after beating 8-4. Additionally, 9-1, 9-2 and 9-3 will also house a Star, leading to 11 stars in total. You need 4 Stars to unlock 9-2, 7 Stars to unlock 9-3 and 11 Stars to unlock 9-4, the final level of this episode.


I hope you're looking forward to SMB1X!

Image

Thanks to everyone who's helped with SMB1X so far!

Re: Super Mario Bros. 1X (Update 8/16/16)

Posted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 5:04 pm
by MarioKirby101
Spinda wrote: Also, some news on how progression will work:

Up until world 8-4, everything's pretty much like in SMB1, but each world will have an entrance to one level in the Minus World. In each of those levels, you can get a Star (represented by a floating Wiggler head). Those Stars are used to unlock the levels 9-2, 9-3 and 9-4, while 9-1 is accessible after beating 8-4. Additionally, 9-1, 9-2 and 9-3 will also house a Star, leading to 11 stars in total. You need 4 Stars to unlock 9-2, 7 Stars to unlock 9-3 and 11 Stars to unlock 9-4, the final level of this episode.
So World 9 does have more than 1 level...

Re: Super Mario Bros. 1X (Update 8/16/16)

Posted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 2:24 pm
by Snessy the duck
Spinda wrote:This should've been obvious just from the fact that I'm working on this, but SMB1X will use LunaLua! The most frequent application will be flagpoles, a WIP gif of which you can see here:
Spoiler: show
Image
Only things missing are the score and entering the castle after the level is finished. Since a lot of levels were made without LunaLua in mind, it'll mostly be used for the flagpole and a custom HUD, although some gimmicks in SMB1 that weren't in SMBX will also be recreated.

Also, some news on how progression will work:

Up until world 8-4, everything's pretty much like in SMB1, but each world will have an entrance to one level in the Minus World. In each of those levels, you can get a Star (represented by a floating Wiggler head). Those Stars are used to unlock the levels 9-2, 9-3 and 9-4, while 9-1 is accessible after beating 8-4. Additionally, 9-1, 9-2 and 9-3 will also house a Star, leading to 11 stars in total. You need 4 Stars to unlock 9-2, 7 Stars to unlock 9-3 and 11 Stars to unlock 9-4, the final level of this episode.


I hope you're looking forward to SMB1X!

Image

Thanks to everyone who's helped with SMB1X so far!
I think the clinbing a vine animation looks super odd, maybe change it to the SMB3 one (You could make a seperate climbing animation for the flagpoles!)

Also, I don't like the design of the minus world stages at all! They don't look good, and the graphics are really unfitting since this is a SMB1 episode! How about making them glitchy-looking SMB1 styled levels instead (You know, like a castle using the overworld tileset, or a overworld level using the underwater tileset, like the actual minus world!)

Other than that though, this looks very promising so far! I'd be glad to play though this old classic with a new twist! Good luck!

Re: Super Mario Bros. 1X (Update 8/16/16)

Posted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 2:47 pm
by underFlo
Those levels are something that's definitely subject to change, however, the point of the Minus World is to be strange and unfitting. I'll see how it goes though.

Re: Super Mario Bros. 1X (Update 8/16/16)

Posted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 7:38 am
by underFlo
Snessy the duck wrote:I think the clinbing a vine animation looks super odd, maybe change it to the SMB3 one (You could make a seperate climbing animation for the flagpoles!)
Instead of that, I coded it so that when climbing on vines the player is centered:
Spoiler: show
Image

Re: Super Mario Bros. 1X (Update 8/16/16)

Posted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 12:15 pm
by Snessy the duck
Spinda wrote:
Snessy the duck wrote:I think the clinbing a vine animation looks super odd, maybe change it to the SMB3 one (You could make a seperate climbing animation for the flagpoles!)
Instead of that, I coded it so that when climbing on vines the player is centered:
Spoiler: show
Image
Oh, that's pretty cool! Can you turn around on the vine like in SMB1?

Also, did you see my suggestion to change the design of the minus world levels?

Re: Super Mario Bros. 1X (Update 8/16/16)

Posted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 1:02 pm
by underFlo
I've already responded to that suggestion.

Also, I'll probably implement that, too. Wasn't sure if you could do that in SMB1.

Re: Super Mario Bros. 1X (Update 8/16/16)

Posted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 12:17 pm
by Snessy the duck
Spinda wrote:I've already responded to that suggestion.

Also, I'll probably implement that, too. Wasn't sure if you could do that in SMB1.
Oh, I didn't see that post! Sorry for asking again! Also, I have to report you for double-posting, I'm sorry. Whoops seems like you didn't break any rules anyway! Sorry.
Also, you could turn around on vines in SMB1 (At least in Super Mario Maker!)

Re: Super Mario Bros. 1X (Update 8/16/16)

Posted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 8:59 pm
by Turret 3471
How have I not found this until now? This looks absolutely incredible!!! I can't wait until it's finished! =D

Re: Super Mario Bros. 1X (Update 8/16/16)

Posted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 7:15 pm
by SuperMarioUltra
I can't wait to see what it looks like in full version!

Re: Super Mario Bros. 1X (Update 8/16/16)

Posted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 7:24 am
by Mariogamer435
Nice looking episode! Keep up the good work!

Re: Super Mario Bros. 1X (Update 8/16/16)

Posted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 2:04 pm
by Enchlore
Snessy the duck wrote:Also, you could turn around on vines in SMB1 (At least in Super Mario Maker!)
You couldn't, whenever you found a vine and touched it, Mario/Luigi would automatically climb all the way up. Vines were only used as hidden entrances to coin heavens or warp zones so free climbing wasn't needed.

Re: Super Mario Bros. 1X (Update 8/16/16)

Posted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 1:18 pm
by Snessy the duck
Enchlore wrote:
Snessy the duck wrote:Also, you could turn around on vines in SMB1 (At least in Super Mario Maker!)
You couldn't, whenever you found a vine and touched it, Mario/Luigi would automatically climb all the way up. Vines were only used as hidden entrances to coin heavens or warp zones so free climbing wasn't needed.
Well, that's not actually 100% True! When you entered the bonus area, you could actually climb up and down on the fully grown vine if you made contact with it! It was totally pointless, but atleast you could do it! Also, you could do it in SMM, so it technically counts imo!

Re: Super Mario Bros. 1X (Update 8/16/16)

Posted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 2:53 pm
by underFlo


progress what???

Re: Super Mario Bros. 1X (Demo #2 10/24/16)

Posted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 2:43 pm
by underFlo
An all-new demo is out!

Make sure you're using SMBX 2.0 Beta 3.

Also:


Re: Super Mario Bros. 1X (Demo #2 10/24/16)

Posted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 7:17 pm
by MarioKirby101
This looks great! I'll play it as soon as I can.

Re: Super Mario Bros. 1X (Demo #2 10/24/16)

Posted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 9:38 pm
by PixelPest
I'll record what I can if I have time

Re: Super Mario Bros. 1X (Demo #2 10/24/16)

Posted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 5:53 pm
by PixelPest
Here's the first four levels:



Great job Spinda! Overall it seems great so far, except for the boss in World 2. Could you make the spring balls have a little bit bigger hitboxes? They're really quite picky and somewhat frustrating