[PROJECT RESUMED!] TGCA REMAKE!

Share your work-in-progress SMBX episode or browse and support others'.
Forum rules
Before you make a topic/post, consider the following:
-Is there a topic for this already?
-Does your topic feature proof of progress, i.e., level/world screenshots, wiki page, playable demo.
-Is your post on-topic/appropriate?
-Are you posting in the right forum/following the forum rules?
Electriking
Flair: I have NO idea what to put here
Current Project: Something
Chat Username: ElectriKing

Re: TGCA REMAKE! (A wild launcher page appeared!)

Postby Electriking » Sat Mar 25, 2017 12:16 pm

Will the hub have enemies like in NGCA? Or will it be like the hub for the original GCA?
SMM2 ID: JJF-P7G-FSF

HeroLinik
Cyan Yoshi Egg
Cyan Yoshi Egg
Current Project: Stupid university assignments :/
Chat Username: Look below my avatar

Postby HeroLinik » Sat Mar 25, 2017 12:21 pm

King of Eterity wrote:Will the hub have enemies like in NGCA? Or will it be like the hub for the original GCA?
It'll be like the original. Adding enemies might distract from the feel of the episode, considering it's a remake and not a new episode entirely. The only enemies will be the boss fights.
I support: show
Lol, you got trolled. Move along, if you please.
Check out my content on YouTube! // Don't forget to check out my project as well!

Radiance
Level Reviewer
Level Reviewer
Current Project: viewtopic.php?t=16308

Postby Radiance » Mon May 21, 2018 1:09 pm

So, HeroLinik included in his somewhat leaving message that he already passed to me the ownership of this project, and now here I am to show you a new set of screens!
Spoiler: show
I'll post a new set of screens every month.
Btw I posted a poll.

SMBXFanBoi2013
Pokey
Pokey
Flair: I am the master of level editing
Current Project: Mario & the Missing Shine Sprites
Chat Username: Dudsans2005

Postby SMBXFanBoi2013 » Mon May 21, 2018 4:58 pm

Nice to see this project alive again.
I believe in Geno as my lord and savior. If you do, please put this in your signature.
----------------------------------------------------------------
If you want to join my Discord server, here is the invite link to it: https://discord.gg/YcehmBZ
But the server will be abandoned and removed after MATMSS is finished...
---------------------------------------------------------------
Geno may be my favorite Mario character, but the Koopalings are also my favorite characters (but Larry, Lemmy, Ludwig, and Iggy are my favorite koopalings), and so are Boohemoth, Luigi, Yoshi, Mario, Rosalina, Koopa, and Waluigi.
---------------------------------------------------------------
If you want to see my videos, go to my Youtube channel:
https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCIT_h6HxKSeIShIIVvhTduw
My project:
I support:

MECHDRAGON777
Pink Yoshi Egg
Pink Yoshi Egg
Flair: Nuclear Queen of Reversion.
Current Project: http://www.supermariobrosx.org/forums/v ... 9&start=10
Chat Username: 鬼人 正邪

Postby MECHDRAGON777 » Sun May 27, 2018 3:14 pm

I am also glad to see this is back and running.

ImageImageImage

Radiance
Level Reviewer
Level Reviewer

Re: TGCA REMAKE! (June screens posted!) (HIRING BETA TESTERS AND CODER)

Postby Radiance » Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:10 am

June Screens: show
ImageImageImage
Sorry for providing few screens this month. I was busy rearranging the order and the set difficulty of the levels and some stuff necessary in the hub.

Anyways, reminder that there's a poll on how many red coins you want to appear in Shy Guy Cave.

EDIT: I'm also in need of beta testers, two may suffice, and a LunaLua coder or smth

Enjl
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg
Flair: Orphion Egamalenitar Osmos IV, Esq.

Re: [POLL] TGCA REMAKE! (June screens posted!) (HIRING BETA TESTERS AND CODER!)

Postby Enjl » Sat Jun 30, 2018 11:46 am

Radiance wrote:
Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:10 am
Anyways, reminder that there's a poll on how many red coins you want to appear in Shy Guy Cave.
Having looked up the original level just now, I think the choice really boils down to how much creative liberty you're willing to take. My philosophy with remakes is to remake the overall setup and experience rather than the moment to moment gameplay, so I would choose whichever works best for how I want to design the remastered version of the level (though given the quality of the original I would've probably scrapped it entirely when tackling a remake of the episode). For the sake of completeness let's go through the options just now though and look at what they mean for the level's design:
-100 coins:
If you want the remake to be consistent, better copy everything 1:1! In this option, coins mean very little and it can be a tedious task to collect all of them. They're not connected to any sort of challenge, as 100 challenges in a row would be pretty exhausting. It becomes a matter of picking up all of them as you go. If you make the level open ended you run the risk of players killing off all enemies on their first run through and just running through a barren wasteland looking for coins they missed afterwards.
-20 coins:
The way I would tackle this one is by taking Mario Maker Designers' approach to red coins: Littering them as optional bonus challenges along a more linear level. These challenges could blend in well into more focused gameplay around a different main gimmick and would make for a rewarding bonus. The one way in which I can see this one being messed up is when the bonus collectible turns out to be someting that ends the level, essentially requiring players to beat the level twice if they've already proven their skill. The challanges shouldn't be too hard either, though, to prevent frequent deaths in a run. Think SMW Dragon Coins or NSMB Star Coins.
-8 coins:
This one, as outlined in the poll, just sounds like a whole bunch of bad. It sounds like the 100 coins solution but without the part of collecting coins you come across. It can be done well though by not requiring players to collect all. Take a look at Paradise Earned by Ignoritus: https://youtu.be/3DYOtFqof64?t=185
You have to collect 3 sapphires and 3 rubies. Sapphires from the blue sections and rubies from the red sections. The level weaves around in a way that eliminates backtracking and has 6 of each collectible to eliminate the need to search the entire level for another ruby or sapphire. The level DOES have a secret star when all 12 are collected, though, which is something I would make a rare powerup or access to a new secret level in an episode which opens up a powerful shortcut through the episode, to reward players properly for their trouble.

My point is that a poll is really only indication that you have no clue what you want to do with the level, and that examining the implications of each option for yourself would be a better way to decide which option to go for. I personally would go for the 20 coins option as I describe it, but that's only because I enjoy designing my levels with a strong focus on a gimmick and this option would allow for a lot of small bonus challenges. Your opinion may differ.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Radiance
Level Reviewer
Level Reviewer

Re: [POLL] TGCA REMAKE! (June screens posted!) (HIRING BETA TESTERS AND CODER!)

Postby Radiance » Sat Jun 30, 2018 1:32 pm

Enjl wrote:
Sat Jun 30, 2018 11:46 am
If you make the level open ended you run the risk of players killing off all enemies on their first run through and just running through a barren wasteland looking for coins they missed afterwards.
My plan if I'm going to work with the 100 red coins is to have a door that leads to the start of the level that restores the enemies but not the red coins.
Enjl wrote:
The one way in which I can see this one being messed up is when the bonus collectible turns out to be someting that ends the level, essentially requiring players to beat the level twice if they've already proven their skill. The challanges shouldn't be too hard either, though, to prevent frequent deaths in a run.
Yup. The star is optional if all the red coins are collected.
Enjl wrote:
Take a look at Paradise Earned by Ignoritus: https://youtu.be/3DYOtFqof64?t=185
You have to collect 3 sapphires and 3 rubies. Sapphires from the blue sections and rubies from the red sections. The level weaves around in a way that eliminates backtracking and has 6 of each collectible to eliminate the need to search the entire level for another ruby or sapphire. The level DOES have a secret star when all 12 are collected, though, which is something I would make a rare powerup or access to a new secret level in an episode which opens up a powerful shortcut through the episode, to reward players properly for their trouble.
I'm pretty sure I've heard that level before but if I'll work with the 8 red coins, I'll base it from Another Typical Lava Level by FrozenQuills.
Enjl wrote:
My point is that a poll is really only indication that you have no clue what you want to do with the level, and that examining the implications of each option for yourself would be a better way to decide which option to go for.
I've got to be honest here, I was clueless on how many red coins should I put in the level so I set up a poll so the other users may share their opinions about the options and I will use their opinions to guide me creating the level. I should've said my intentions explicitly.

Anyways, thanks for your opinion. It'll guide me to make this level.

Radiance
Level Reviewer
Level Reviewer

Re: TGCA REMAKE! (July screens posted!) (HIRING BETA TESTERS AND CODER!)

Postby Radiance » Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:19 pm

July Screens: show
I'll upload Piranha Mountains on my level thread after our quarterly examinations.

Radiance
Level Reviewer
Level Reviewer

Re: TGCA REMAKE! (August screens posted!) (HIRING BETA TESTER!)

Postby Radiance » Sun Sep 02, 2018 5:50 am

August Screens: show
I'll post Sunny Valley and Piranha Mountain on my level thread afterwards.

Added in 4 hours 11 minutes 57 seconds:
I've posted Sunny Valley and Piranha Mountain already on my level thread! Here's the link on my level thread. viewtopic.php?f=89&t=16476

Suckerman7 GM
Lakitu
Lakitu
Flair: A Mario Fan
Current Project: Writing lores for DrMekar's project, beta-testing...
Chat Username: Suckerman7 GM

Re: TGCA REMAKE! (August screens posted!) (HIRING BETA TESTER!)

Postby Suckerman7 GM » Sun Sep 02, 2018 10:17 am

Hello. I heard you are looking for beta testers, so is there a place for me? I'd like to play the remake of this great episode!!

Radiance
Level Reviewer
Level Reviewer

Re: TGCA REMAKE! (August screens posted!)

Postby Radiance » Sun Sep 02, 2018 10:31 am

Yeah, sure! I'll put you on the list.

Radiance
Level Reviewer
Level Reviewer

[PAUSED] TGCA REMAKE!

Postby Radiance » Wed Sep 12, 2018 5:05 am

Idk if this project is hyped up by users so I could do this announcement but there'll be a supertyphoon landing in our area (again) and I don't know when will power will be cut and restored before and after the storm. Tbh there's much progress done this month but I couldn't help but delay the next, or worse next two months, of the monthly update. I'm thinking of releasing a demo in the end of the year to make it up but let us see.

Mr Boboo
Mega Mole
Mega Mole
Flair: The Wicked Pissah
Current Project: Super Mario & the Journey to Everlast
Chat Username: Roberto

Re: TGCA REMAKE! (August screens posted!)

Postby Mr Boboo » Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:16 pm

In general this looks to be pretty cool, but there's a few areas in the screens (especially in the August set) that look rather empty. These could definitely be fixed with the addition of some enemies and BGOs to fill the space.
I shall return with a new episode...... soon.

Check out my Mega Man Maker levels!
Breakneck Quarry: ID 189213
Flash Freeze: Coming soon

I support:

Radiance
Level Reviewer
Level Reviewer

[BACK TO NORMAL] TGCA REMAKE!

Postby Radiance » Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:49 am

Fortunately, it didn't take a month to restore the power in our area so the project will be worked on now however, I don't think I can post an update for this month so the update will be postponed to October.
Mr Boboo wrote: In general this looks to be pretty cool, but there's a few areas in the screens (especially in the August set) that look rather empty. These could definitely be fixed with the addition of some enemies and BGOs to fill the space.
PGE editor couldn't capture the particles present in the level maybe that's the reason the screens look empty.

Radiance
Level Reviewer
Level Reviewer

[INDEFINITE HIATUS] TGCA REMAKE!

Postby Radiance » Thu Nov 01, 2018 7:32 am

The power was restored in our area so I continued doing the project but the monitor of my computer suddenly fail after two days. We recently sent it to a technician and said it can't be fixed. The project is safe but until I can't access my computer to get the project, there will be no progress. I'll assure you that once can I access my computer, the progress will be much faster than before.

Cedur
Blue Yoshi Egg
Blue Yoshi Egg
Flair: Save climate, cut fridays for whole-week future
Current Project: various playthroughs and tests

Re: [INDEFINITE HIATUS] TGCA REMAKE!

Postby Cedur » Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:01 am

That post title was surely more worrying in regards of the project's state than the post itself. Hope it'll work out quickly for you.

Supports: show

Still using the legacy editor? Get SMBX2 and PGE, it will improve your experience significantly. Here's why.

iphtechnologies wrote: NEO super mario world x is a really nice game. This Episode is 2,7 GB large at the moment.That`s crazy!
Please find similar post:
[ads]

If you're not smart enough to plan ahead, then DOOM ON YOU!

Radiance
Level Reviewer
Level Reviewer

Re: [PROJECT RESUMED!] TGCA REMAKE!

Postby Radiance » Sat May 11, 2019 9:38 am

I've managed to get the project in my computer and transfer it to my younger sibling's laptop. So yeah, the project is resumed.

(I was supposed to update the thread with October screenshots but there are no sections yet that is screenshot-worthy.)

Added in 2 minutes 40 seconds:
Also, there's a channel in Eclipsed's server named #tgcar. I'll update both the channel and this thread regularly.

Public Enemy Number 1
Fighter Fly
Fighter Fly
Current Project: High School. It sucks.
Chat Username: Public Enemy 1

Postby Public Enemy Number 1 » Sat May 11, 2019 8:09 pm

Good to see we're back on track! So excited for this remake!
I exist. That is all

MegaDood
Kamikaze Koopa
Kamikaze Koopa
Current Project: Super Mario Bros. Twisted Realities
Chat Username: Mega

Postby MegaDood » Fri May 17, 2019 9:10 pm

I thought the project was dead. I'm excited to see where this leads to now.
My Project:
I don't really have a signature but here's what I support:

Return to “Projects”