Tips and Tricks - Working on a Project

This forum is for episodes that are a work in progress.
TheDinoKing
Kamikaze Koopa
Kamikaze Koopa

Re: Tips and Tricks - Working on a Project

Postby TheDinoKing » Sat Apr 08, 2017 6:15 pm

King of Eterity wrote:
TheDinoKing wrote:
Tacticynical wrote:Can we add our own tips here? If so, I'd like to recommend this:

Everyone works differently, but please ffs don't make your project thread when you haven't even finished making your first level. I've seen this happen time and time again, and these usually end up getting shelved/cancelled. Look I get it, you're eager to show it off and that's fine, but if you can't prove you're far enough into making your episode, then you won't be able to prove you're committed to finishing it. So have patience. I personally would wait until you're at least a third of the way done before you announce it, but maybe that's just me. And it all depends on the scope of your project of course.

Some people make their project thread without even starting on the project.
It's usually like "I'm going to make this super amazing project with 9999 levels and it will be perfect, I need you to make levels for me".

But it would be locked if there are no screens, and if there is no information, I deem the project as non-existent and a troll

Unfortunately many new users make those kind of topic without making level 1 and say they going to make a 9999 level (not 9999 but it's usually a ridiculous amount of levels like 150).

Electriking
Ludwig von Koopa
Ludwig von Koopa
Current Project: Mushroom Kingdom Massacre
Chat Username: Electriking

Postby Electriking » Sat Apr 08, 2017 6:18 pm

TheDinoKing wrote:
King of Eterity wrote:
TheDinoKing wrote:
Some people make their project thread without even starting on the project.
It's usually like "I'm going to make this super amazing project with 9999 levels and it will be perfect, I need you to make levels for me".

But it would be locked if there are no screens, and if there is no information, I deem the project as non-existent and a troll

Unfortunately many new users make those kind of topic without making level 1 and say they going to make a 9999 level (not 9999 but it's usually a ridiculous amount of levels like 150).

There is a rule that says keep your project realistic, a 50 world episode with 150 levels per world is not a feasible scenario, or something like that. It is evident that most people don't follow the project rules though anyway.
Edit signature
YOUR SIGNATURE WILL APPEAR LIKE THIS IN POSTS
Join my Discord server here: https://discord.gg/3S64gwq
Check out Mushroom Kingdom Massacre. We need team members
My Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-2812-3564-4900
Quotes: show
Snessy the duck wrote:
Quill wrote:
Great_Papyrus123 wrote:me
Pop Yoshi Bros wrote:
Please avoid posts like that

please avoid posts like that

The0x539 wrote:
Teemster2 wrote:the Ox

Danny wrote:Here's some constructive criticism: What the hell?

WARNING: Quill is in here: show

This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 999 character limit.

arcade999
Grinder
Grinder
Current Project: I was working on something and AAAARRRGGGHHH, FUCK, MY LAPTOP BROKE!!!
Chat Username: arcade999

Postby arcade999 » Sat Apr 08, 2017 8:49 pm

King of Eterity wrote:
TheDinoKing wrote:
King of Eterity wrote:But it would be locked if there are no screens, and if there is no information, I deem the project as non-existent and a troll

There is a rule that says keep your project realistic, a 50 world episode with 150 levels per world is not a feasible scenario, or something like that. It is evident that most people don't follow the project rules though anyway.

Or maybe if you make a very very very big contest where users can submits like 10 levels, but yeah, it would definitively look like fake shit...except if it's one of those wierd jokes threads.
I support
Spoiler: show
If ever those projects are realised :3
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

check out my (shitpost) youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-fkps ... oRYc6XtNxQ
check out my discord server: https://discord.gg/nAjhRGb
check out my website: http://arcade999forum.freeforums.net/
StickGuyGamez wrote:BRING ME BACK TO PENIS

Super Nick Bros X wrote:bruh

RTisBack wrote:Jesus christ isn't a lord/god you piece of human with no brain, and i mean that allah is the only one god.

Pop Yoshi Bros wrote:
arcade999 wrote:do using ms paint make me a bad human being?

No. It makes you a great veteran and someone who deserves respect...

unless you use Windows 7 paint

Noodle wrote:Danny is a crapposter. (I was in school when I typed this)

Snessy the duck wrote:
Electriking wrote:What the fuck is going on with this topic?

I have no idea. This guy honestly seems like a bot.

ivanmegafanboy wrote:Obviously the trees would be huge, is Woodman's territory! >:]

carefreeDesigner
Koopa Troopa
Koopa Troopa
Current Project: Carefree Bros. and Mario & Luigi X
Chat Username: CD

Postby carefreeDesigner » Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:45 pm

I say that it can matter hugely in the length of the levels, if a level can be beat in a minute, and the Worlds are planned to have say 50 levels each, then that isn't too bad, but if it's full length levels and it reaches mid double digits, then it more than likely won't work out too well.
I exist.

Check out my projects:
Carefree Bros: viewtopic.php?f=90&t=19636
Mario & Luigi X: viewtopic.php?f=90&t=19607

Check out my coolio Discord for my projects:
https://discord.gg/E9u7HRr

I support:

Electriking
Ludwig von Koopa
Ludwig von Koopa
Current Project: Mushroom Kingdom Massacre
Chat Username: Electriking

Postby Electriking » Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:14 pm

carefreeDesigner wrote:I say that it can matter hugely in the length of the levels, if a level can be beat in a minute, and the Worlds are planned to have say 50 levels each, then that isn't too bad, but if it's full length levels and it reaches mid double digits, then it more than likely won't work out too well.

50 levels per world is generally scenario that is not feasible unless it is like 1 world. And what is wrong with an episode being long? The only problems that arise from it is that it gets boring if the creators imagination does not extend enough to bring in new ideas to keep a long episode boring. It could get boring if you have themed worlds and they are long because you are bored of seeing the same theme but really 50 levels per world is not really a level design problem, it's more of a thing that makes you look like an idiot if you think and tell the community that you could make that kind of project.
Edit signature
YOUR SIGNATURE WILL APPEAR LIKE THIS IN POSTS
Join my Discord server here: https://discord.gg/3S64gwq
Check out Mushroom Kingdom Massacre. We need team members
My Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-2812-3564-4900
Quotes: show
Snessy the duck wrote:
Quill wrote:
Great_Papyrus123 wrote:me
Pop Yoshi Bros wrote:
Please avoid posts like that

please avoid posts like that

The0x539 wrote:
Teemster2 wrote:the Ox

Danny wrote:Here's some constructive criticism: What the hell?

WARNING: Quill is in here: show

This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 999 character limit.

carefreeDesigner
Koopa Troopa
Koopa Troopa
Current Project: Carefree Bros. and Mario & Luigi X
Chat Username: CD

Postby carefreeDesigner » Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:36 pm

Electriking wrote:I say that it can matter hugely in the length of the levels, if a level can be beat in a minute, and the Worlds are planned to have say 50 levels each, then that isn't too bad, but if it's full length levels and it reaches mid double digits, then it more than likely won't work out too well.

50 levels per world is generally scenario that is not feasible unless it is like 1 world. And what is wrong with an episode being long? The only problems that arise from it is that it gets boring if the creators imagination does not extend enough to bring in new ideas to keep a long episode boring. It could get boring if you have themed worlds and they are long because you are bored of seeing the same theme but really 50 levels per world is not really a level design problem, it's more of a thing that makes you look like an idiot if you think and tell the community that you could make that kind of project.[/quote]
I didn't say that 50 is a normal amount or anything, I was just coming up with a number off the top of my head. I personally think it is possible to make interesting levels, even in bulk, if you just keep adding new elements to the table often. That's what I'm doing in Mario & Luigi X, which has a focus on eliminating enemies rather than platforming. I more or less can just depend on the style of play that you're going for.
I exist.

Check out my projects:
Carefree Bros: viewtopic.php?f=90&t=19636
Mario & Luigi X: viewtopic.php?f=90&t=19607

Check out my coolio Discord for my projects:
https://discord.gg/E9u7HRr

I support:

Return to “Projects”