Legend of Zelda X

Share your work-in-progress SMBX episode or browse and support others'.
Forum rules
Before you make a topic/post, consider the following:
-Is there a topic for this already?
-Does your topic feature proof of progress, i.e., level/world screenshots, wiki page, playable demo.
-Is your post on-topic/appropriate?
-Are you posting in the right forum/following the forum rules?

Do you like this project?

Yes, I like a challenge.
6%
Yes, but it's hard.
No votes
Yes, the story grabs people's attention.
11%
Yes, it's fun!
No votes
Yes, it has an amazing level design and/or world map!
11%
Yes.
39%
No, it's too hard.
No votes
No, it's too easy for me.
No votes
No, the story is boring.
No votes
No, the demo is boring.
No votes
No, the level design and/or the world map is terribly designed.
17%
No.
No votes
I don't know.
17%

Total votes: 18
The Dwarven Digger
Lakitu
Lakitu
Current Project: Currently unnamed

Re: Legend of Zelda X

Postby The Dwarven Digger » Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:55 am

Eri7 wrote:A Zelda episode?! Man its rare to see something like this , i really like the world map even if there are some minor clashes , also i don't play demos so i will miss out some of the stuff you already have made but i'm looking forward for the finished project.
Also Hard doesn't always mean fun , be sure to make your project fun to play or else not a lot of people will have fun playing it.
But hard doesn't necessarily mean not fun either. It just means it's aimed towards more skilled players.
I support: show
Due to a problem with my laptop, all my projects and levels have been lost. But fear not, for new ones will be arriving! (and hopefully completed)
Spoiler: show
rockythechao wrote:Image

Devan2002
Ripper II
Ripper II
Chat Username: Devan2002

Postby Devan2002 » Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:56 am

Eri7 wrote:A Zelda episode?! Man its rare to see something like this , i really like the world map even if there are some minor clashes , also i don't play demos so i will miss out some of the stuff you already have made but i'm looking forward for the finished project.
Also Hard doesn't always mean fun , be sure to make your project fun to play or else not a lot of people will have fun playing it.
It mostly depends on the player's skill, it's a nightmare to noobs, but about medium to experts like bossedit8.
It's kinda sad to see that there aren't many episodes based on Link being the main protagonist. Hopefully I can see more in the future, because LoZ was one of my favorite franchises. ;)

You can always give me ideas on my projects, so don't hold them in.

I am the nerd of video games. :ugeek:
What is my life: show
Supported Projects: show
ImageImage
I support these projects. :mrgreen:
Also, have an adorable image of Budew.
Legend of Zelda X: My project: show

Eri7
Banned
Flair: Hard work pays off sooner or later
Current Project: SMNZ (38A) + SMNP1 (38A) + MKA(2.0) + TNV (2.0/38A) + TNVL (2.0/38A) + SMNP2 (2.0) + SMNR (2.0)
Chat Username: Eri7

Postby Eri7 » Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:58 am

The Dwarven Digger wrote:
But hard doesn't necessarily mean not fun either. It just means it's aimed towards more skilled players.
I just said that its not always fun , also i don't think there are a lot of skilled players with Link , a good tutorial or introduction level at start of the project can help newbies understand a bit on how to play the levels but this is just a suggestion , i don't expect him to do it.

Devan2002
Ripper II
Ripper II

Postby Devan2002 » Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:10 am

Eri7 wrote:I just said that its not always fun , also i don't think there are a lot of skilled players with Link , a good tutorial or introduction level at start of the project can help newbies understand a bit on how to play the levels but this is just a suggestion , i don't expect him to do it.
viewtopic.php?f=69&t=15529
It's kinda sad to see that there aren't many episodes based on Link being the main protagonist. Hopefully I can see more in the future, because LoZ was one of my favorite franchises. ;)

ImageImage

Eri7
Banned
Current Project: SMNZ (38A) + SMNP1 (38A) + MKA(2.0) + TNV (2.0/38A) + TNVL (2.0/38A) + SMNP2 (2.0) + SMNR (2.0)

Postby Eri7 » Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:13 am

Devan2002 wrote:
Eri7 wrote:I just said that its not always fun , also i don't think there are a lot of skilled players with Link , a good tutorial or introduction level at start of the project can help newbies understand a bit on how to play the levels but this is just a suggestion , i don't expect him to do it.
viewtopic.php?f=69&t=15529
So people are forced to look through that post in order to enjoy your project? That is bad because then you limit the people that will play your project based on skills and knowledge , yeah it appears as unique but is it really worth it?

Cedur
Blue Yoshi Egg
Blue Yoshi Egg
Flair: Save climate, cut fridays for whole-week future
Current Project: various playthroughs and tests

Postby Cedur » Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:17 am

Is the project still alive?
More Supports: show

Still using the legacy editor? Get SMBX2 and PGE, it will improve your experience significantly. Here's why.

iphtechnologies wrote: NEO super mario world x is a really nice game. This Episode is 2,7 GB large at the moment.That`s crazy!
Please find similar post:
[ads]

PixelPest
Link
Link
Flair: Tamer of Boom Booms
Current Project: Boom Boom Evolution
Chat Username: PixelPest

Postby PixelPest » Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:17 am

Why not cater your first few levels to have aspects that teach the player some of Link's important features?

Eri7
Banned

Postby Eri7 » Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:19 am

PixelPest wrote:Why not cater your first few levels to have aspects that teach the player some of Link's important features?
Yeah , this is very important , you can keep the rest of your project hard but please consider making at least the introduction part a tutorial alike or a bit easy so you can teach the player what to expect from your levels.

Devan2002
Ripper II
Ripper II

Postby Devan2002 » Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:40 am

Cedur wrote:Is the project still alive?
Yes.

ImageImage

Super Luigi!
Volcano Lotus
Volcano Lotus
Flair: ???
Current Project: Super Luigi World.
Chat Username: SL

Postby Super Luigi! » Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:49 am

Yet another interesting project eludes my sight! In any case, this certainly seems interesting, Devan2002. I'll need to give your two demos a try later on. Hopefully, we don't need to know Link's advanced tricks right off the bat. Although I've read the above topic, you might want to follow PixelPest's advice about easing players in before piling on the difficulty. Lastly, I find it funny that this project is very challenging, since every time I make levels based around Link, they turn out the same way. Good luck!

Playthrough Notes:
First Island
After playing a bit, I noticed some problems. In Entrance to Lost Woods, where the player enters the cave, the yellow ? Block switch doesn't work, and the dark blue one doesn't do anything, since it's supposed to reverse conveyor belts. The area with three giant Piranha Plants in Grassy Plains 1 can also be jumped over. Furthermore, in your Pipe (Not Warp) stage, not only can the player wrap around and run right into an enemy, they can also get stuck for not having two keys or losing the Hammer Suit. Lastly, try not to place enemies right in front of players when they start the level.

Your Dungeon 1 boss fight is broken. First of all, I couldn't read what Bowser said once I beat him, since I was stabbing him to death. Second, the bombs cannot be collected, since the platform is rising up. Third, I don't know if I was supposed to jump down that pit, but I didn't.

Unnamed Castle has no point, since you can simply exit back out and all the paths will unlock. As far as I can see, there's no reward for trying to find the exit.

Grass Plains 2 was great. I really liked the flying and dark underground idea.

Dungeon 2 seems a bit unfair with the lava, platforming, and ghosts. Plus, that inescapable Fairy Pendant trap is definitely a mistake. I happened to not have any lives left, despite Zelda's plea, but I still left the game. There's also a message block that doesn't do anything, although I suspect it's a trap as well.

Rainy Night's underground warps are incorrectly placed, and the keyhole is hiding behind a background object. Also, after using the warp on the map, the music stops. This might be something beyond your control, but I wanted to let you know.

Jump Town has problems. First of all, the second house kills you if you break any pots. Nobody else in the town does this, and there's no warning given. Secondly, when a kid later gives a leaf, the player might fall through the floor. Shortly after, there are some Luigi blocks that prevent the player from progressing. If he/she tries to jump over the grass wall, he/she will instantly die. Instead of this, consider simply blocking the way up there too. Lastly, there's no way to get out of Jump Town without restarting the game.

The Crossover is the best level ever, although it does bring to mind another problem. When placing NPCs that have a great deal of dialogue, such as Zelda, consider replacing them to the same NPC that only has one message. That way, players don't try to talk to Zelda again and receive the same essay.

Airship Ride is alright, but I'm not sure what happened with Grassy Plains 3. The pipe to the exit disappeared and then reappeared, most likely due to the enemies. As for Bridge Construction, it looks like something out of my games, which is funny to me.
Second Island
The Desert of Mystery is OK. I don't know why it needs to be only 1-player, since Luigi's NPC dialogue could be interpreted as coming from the player. The four-color puzzle at the end was definitely interesting, however.

Sandy Cave is quite short, and the tunnel at the end doesn't lead anywhere. I don't mean the pipe either.

Caves Everywhere doesn't really have caves everywhere. There are two, and that's about it.

Desert Dungeon's first key doesn't need to and can't be collected by Luigi. Furthermore, the first moving platform commonly disappears and leaves the player stranded, and the airship is improperly designed. Remove the two blocks next to where you drive it. Otherwise, if you move too fast, you'll fall out or even die. The whole dungeon is also rather tedious, especially when the player needs to travel back and forth across the first section. Lastly, the boss fight is too difficult, especially without a checkpoint right before. Remove the ghosts or Piranha Plant.

Desert Plains is beautifully made. I must not have found the secret warp either, as I don't understand the beginning message.

Underground Lock is an interesting idea, but it has problems. First of all, Link can't use the spring to reach the switch that opens the lock, although he can still jump to it. Once underground, the rest of the level is simply one long and boring trek to the left. Consider adding more background objects and less Swoopers.
Third Island
A Fungal Village is neat. It could use a few more background objects and grammar research, but it's alright as is.

When trying to change characters in Hostage Dungeon, the eyeballs can hurt/kill you once you return to the main room. Additionally, the pathway through the second room is much too narrow.

Broken Down Castle also has narrow passageways in it, and you can't progress immediately as Toad or Link. I also managed to clip through the wall and die when changing back to Luigi. Furthermore, if you lose the leaf, the level cannot be finished. Zelda also doesn't speak right before the boss.

Spiral Tower is rather short, but I suppose that's fine. Make sure to check the dialogue for spelling and grammar errors.

The buildup to the boss battle in The Fight is nice, although the actual fight is rather tedious. I also seem to be going somewhere else now.

I'm really not sure what to say about Grassy Plains 5. It wasn't very grassy or in the plains. The enemy rush was an alright idea, but it wasn't used very well. There's also no need for a hidden Poison Mushroom at the very end.

The Canyon Cave is also quite short, some enemies fall off cliffs, and the shell launcher near the end cannot be seen before it fires.

Labyrinth in progress...
I'll keep playing through your project. Although your game is still fun as it is, please consider my advice. Thank you.
Last edited by Super Luigi! on Fri Feb 02, 2018 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Projects I support:
Image ~Level Designer and Beta Tester.
~Beta Tester.
Image ~Admirer.
Image ~Reviewer.
"Keep trying at something, even in failure because another attempt may be all you need."~SL

Devan2002
Ripper II
Ripper II

Postby Devan2002 » Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:11 pm

Super Luigi! wrote:Yet another interesting project eludes my sight! In any case, this certainly seems interesting, Devan2002. I'll need to give your two demos a try later on. Hopefully, we don't need to know Link's advanced tricks right off the bat. Although I've read the above topic, you might want to follow PixelPest's advice about easing players in before piling on the difficulty. Lastly, I find it funny that this project is very challenging, since every time I make levels based around Link, they turn out the same way. Good luck!

Playthrough Notes:
First Island
After playing a bit, I noticed some problems. In Entrance to Lost Woods, where the player enters the cave, the yellow ? Block switch doesn't work, and the dark blue one doesn't do anything, since it's supposed to reverse conveyor belts. The area with three giant Piranha Plants in Grassy Plains 1 can also be jumped over. Furthermore, in your Pipe (Not Warp) stage, not only can the player wrap around and run right into an enemy, they can also get stuck for not having two keys or losing the Hammer Suit. Lastly, try not to place enemies right in front of players when they start the level.

Your Dungeon 1 boss fight is broken. First of all, I couldn't read what Bowser said once I beat him, since I was stabbing him to death. Second, the bombs cannot be collected, since the platform is rising up. Third, I don't know if I was supposed to jump down that pit, but I didn't.

Unnamed Castle has no point, since you can simply exit back out and all the paths will unlock. As far as I can see, there's no reward for trying to find the exit.

Grass Plains 2 was great. I really liked the flying and dark underground idea.

Dungeon 2 seems a bit unfair with the lava, platforming, and ghosts. Plus, that inescapable Fairy Pendant trap is definitely a mistake. I happened to not have any lives left, despite Zelda's plea, but I still left the game. There's also a message block that doesn't do anything, although I suspect it's a trap as well.

Rainy Night's underground warps are incorrectly placed, and the keyhole is hiding behind a background object. Also, after using the warp on the map, the music stops. This might be something beyond your control, but I wanted to let you know.

Jump Town has problems. First of all, the second house kills you if you break any pots. Nobody else in the town does this, and there's no warning given. Secondly, when a kid later gives a leaf, the player might fall through the floor. Shortly after, there are some Luigi blocks that prevent the player from progressing. If he/she tries to jump over the grass wall, he/she will instantly die. Instead of this, consider simply blocking the way up there too. Lastly, there's no way to get out of Jump Town without restarting the game.

The Crossover is the best level ever, although it does bring to mind another problem. When placing NPCs that have a great deal of dialogue, such as Zelda, consider replacing them to the same NPC that only has one message. That way, players don't try to talk to Zelda again and receive the same essay.

Airship Ride is alright, but I'm not sure what happened with Grassy Plains 3. The pipe to the exit disappeared and then reappeared, most likely due to the enemies. As for Bridge Construction, it looks like something out of my games, which is funny to me.
Second Island
The Desert of Mystery is OK. I don't know why it needs to be only 1-player, since Luigi's NPC dialogue could be interpreted as coming from the player. The four-color puzzle at the end was definitely interesting, however.

Sandy Cave is quite short, and the tunnel at the end doesn't lead anywhere. I don't mean the pipe either.

Caves Everywhere doesn't really have caves everywhere. There are two, and that's about it.

Desert Dungeon's first key doesn't need to and can't be collected by Luigi. Furthermore, the first moving platform commonly disappears and leaves the player stranded, and the airship is improperly designed. Remove the two blocks next to where you drive it. Otherwise, if you move too fast, you'll fall out or even die. The whole dungeon is also rather tedious, especially when the player needs to travel back and forth across the first section. Lastly, the boss fight is too difficult, especially without a checkpoint right before. Remove the ghosts or Piranha Plant.

Desert Plains is beautifully made. I must not have found the secret warp either, as I don't understand the beginning message.

Underground Lock is an interesting idea, but it has problems. First of all, Link can't use the spring to reach the switch that opens the lock, although he can still jump to it. Once underground, the rest of the level is simply one long and boring trek to the left. Consider adding more background objects and less Swoopers.
Third Island
A Fungal Village is neat. It could use a few more background objects and grammar research, but it's alright as is.

When trying to change characters in Hostage Dungeon, the eyeballs can hurt/kill you once you return to the main room. Additionally, the pathway through the second room is much too narrow.

Broken Down Castle also has narrow passageways in it, and you can't progress immediately as Toad or Link. I also managed to clip through the wall and die when changing back to Luigi. Furthermore, if you lose the leaf, the level cannot be finished. Zelda also doesn't speak right before the boss.

Spiral Tower is rather short, but I suppose that's fine. Make sure to check the dialogue for spelling and grammar errors.

The buildup to the boss battle in The Fight is nice, although the actual fight is rather tedious. I also seem to be going somewhere else now.

I'm really not sure what to say about Grassy Plains 5. It wasn't very grassy or in the plains. The enemy rush was an alright idea, but it wasn't used very well. There's also no need for a hidden Poison Mushroom at the very end.

The Canyon Cave is also quite short, some enemies fall off cliffs, and the shell launcher near the end cannot be seen before it fires.

Labyrinth in progress...
I'll keep playing through your project. Although your game is still fun as it is, please consider my advice. Thank you.
Well, this is going to take longer than I expected.
The ? blocks in the first level in the center of the yellow and blue switches are meant to do nothing. It's the ones to the left that are suppose to work, then again, I never understood what that blue switch that lead to the pipe meant.
For the pipe level, I'll probably just put Link only blocks at the edges. The hammer suit will be a generator.
As for the dungeon with Bowser, I don't see a solution (besides having a delay from when Bowser dies and when he says it, but it kinda wouldn't make sense). But since you didn't read it, here's what it says: "ARRGHH! I will never give up! I'll will return and you will know when!"
For the castle, I'll have to fix that.
The second dungeon fairy pendant is a trap, the message block was meant to have text, but I forget to set the event (which said that you could grab keys through walls diagonally and through a one block wall, despite being able to do that in a dungeon already, unless you skipped the top one)
I don't understand the misplaced warps. If you're talking about the pipe that goes through the one you exit from after talking to Zelda, it kinda takes a while, probably due to the slope. Also, I really hate the layering with decorations, because they'll end up doing that.
As for the town, I did have a message for when someone talked to the guy (yes, the npc in the house was originally an npc, but I changed it because it wouldn't make sense if an old guy (aka the old man who teaches you the spells from Zelda 2) would say the pots were a trap. The leaf thing is just a major bug, I plan to have warps that send you back saying a message like "We thought this might happen, so we had a warp placed there." Also, what do you mean there's no way out? The point is to kill both goombas (either with both characters in 2-player or simply killing one and going all the way back to switch characters using the pipe). The instant death thing was like a penalty for those who thought they could just easily skip the entire puzzle, though I'm considering changing them to solid walls.
Yeah, I should just fix that in the crossover level.
The disappearing and reappearing pipe, I had no idea what came to my mind there.
I don't know what you mean about Luigi's dialogue, like physically speaking to him, or Link encountering a regular goomba?
The tunnel isn't meant to take you anywhere, it's the tunnel where the enemy's got up to the surface and scattered all across the land of Hyrule, even to the Golden Land.
As for the desert dungeon, if it was one player, you could switch to Luigi even with the key being in Link's inventory, and in case it was 2-player, there's a ? mushroom that can swap Link and Luigi (though Link would be where Luigi could only go. Second, the "no checkpoint" thing is kinda a problem, either I have the dungeon beginning with the player(s) entering the dungeon, or just instantly getting in there. The warp entrance overwrites checkpoints no matter what. I had to do this sacrifice for several other dungeons, like the one with the 2 Boom Booms, the pipe (not warp) dungeon, and so on. Tbh, I made the boss fights a bit unfair since Link can easily kill them unlike the other characters, and I got carried away with that. The airship kills you if you move down left or down right, but what do you mean by 2 blocks? If I have the walls next to the area where you control it, death can easily happen.
I was expecting to put more caves in "Caves Everywhere" but I randomly did only 2, I might have to rename the level to "Secret Caves" or something.
P.S. Link can stab things like P switches, trampolines, and other stuff that other characters can pick up (but not the boots) over a bit. Therefore, the level does not require you to hit the switch as Luigi only.
I added some decorations and fixed "prefer."
The digdoggers (aka eyeball ghost) have been moved to another room in the dungeon. And by second room you mean the second door in the main room? The room has been extended one tile to the left (on the left side, it's been extended one tile to the right for the right side).
Can you describe everything that lead to the clip outside of the character box? I've made the leaves generators. Zelda also now speaks where she didn't.
Fighting SMB1 Bowser (aka Bowser Jr. in this project) and SMB3 Bowser is hard alone. Btw, the warp in "The Fight" was a warp to the 4th island, Lake Hylia.
I'm planning on renaming that to something else. The poison mushroom was for those who were expecting another hidden block staircase up to the top of the goal post.
The shell that fires out in the Canyon Cave no longer is there.

Post anymore flaws and I'll hopefully resolve the errors.

ImageImage

Super Luigi!
Volcano Lotus
Volcano Lotus

Postby Super Luigi! » Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:17 pm

Explanation:
Once you go underground in Rainy Night (the area right before Zelda that also holds the key), there's a strange pipe in the way. The warps for it are placed backwards, so I had to resort to glitching through the wall.

I went into Jump Town before The Crossover, so I couldn't escape as only Link.

The Desert of Mystery can only be played with one person, even though there are two playable characters now. Thus, any dialogue from the NPC Luigi could be interpreted as coming from the person who plays as him.

Regarding Desert Dungeon's airship, there are two airship pieces right next to the one you jump in to control the airship. Remove those or raise the controllable airship piece to speed up the ship and avoid killing your players.

After thinking about what happened in Broken Down Castle, I likely clipped through the wall when changing to Luigi because he was riding on Yoshi. I don't know why this is an issue, but it happened. Maybe it was an abstract glitch that you can't control?
I'll continue to play your game and provide feedback, Devan2002. Thank you for creating this project and considering my advice. Hopefully, we will both succeed!

Playthrough Notes:
Fourth Island
The dim room in Labyrinth is a neat idea, but it's also very confusing, since the player can't see anything. In the next room, the giant Piranha Plant closest to the edge is very tedious to kill. As for the boss fight, the Rotodisc hits the player immediately, and the whole room is quite cluttered. I know only one Boom-Boom is an enemy, which is an interesting idea, but all four primarily occupy the area between the two Rotodiscs.

The controllable airship in A Second Invasion suffers from the same problems I listed for Desert Dungeon's. Remove the two blocks right next to the controllable piece, as they greatly hinder the player. Also, that piece is facing left, when it should be right. I also couldn't proceed without the airship after jumping out, and Zelda dies for some reason. After the checkpoint, there's a cluttered room that's filled with enemies. Remove either the Hammer Bro, the Rinka, the Poison Mushrooms, or the Poe. Once I found the key, I couldn't take it back to the door unless I had Link. Furthermore, the door should not be in the water, as swimming in it looks strange. The boss fight is cluttered as well, for there is far too much happening at once. Lastly, the warp after the level doesn't work properly. I suppose I'll go back to the third island now.
Third Island (Again)
An Airship Invasion has the same airship problem. After entering the enemy airship, a mace-throwing Lizalfos immediately greets the player, which might be too much. The boss fight was actually fair this time.

Town of Innocents also has problems. The man harassed by giant Piranha Plants doesn't care if only one is dead, and the key he gives you can be used to unlock the lady's secret door, which doesn't go anywhere. Near the end, the terrain falls apart for some reason, and it is very tedious to destroy all three colored Goombas.

Grassy Plains 4 is alright, although it does make me wonder why everyone hates the rain. Is it supposed to be cursed?
Fourth Island (Again)
First of all, the word "labyrinth" in A LONG labyrinth should be capitalized. As for the level itself, I like how Zelda reacts to the torches being lit. The next room can lag, especially around the Grinders, which unfortunately only sometimes kill Lakitu immediately. Also, the first vine to the ceiling leads to a Blue Koopa kicking a shell, leaving the player with no time to react. I like the spiky Poe and the key that the Firebars are guarding, although it will disappear if the player can't grab it. The Bowser Jr. fight lags slightly and is ridiculous to complete as is. The Birdo raft ride is even worse, however, as it lags and there's simply too much happening. Plus, how is the player supposed to know that they need to ride the raft offscreen at the end? Place some Rupees on the correct path.
Fifth Island
Grassy Plains 6 has many problems. First of all, replace "we'll" to "we" for the man's dialogue. Next, take out the right-facing Piranha Plant and SMW Goomba, as the player will likely get hit exiting the pipe, as well as the four Bullet Bills afterwards. Lastly, the player cannot see the Blue Para-Troopas beforehand when floating over the checkpoint gap as Peach.

Yet Another Airship Attack contains yet another poorly-constructed airship, which you should know how to fix by now. The level name itself is also rather weak, just like Grassy Plains 6. Furthermore, Zelda should not be the life of the ship, and she shouldn't be dying in the first place, since she's protected by the ship. All airships also lack any sort of propeller. The key to get inside the big enemy ship at the end might be unobtainable, since the pots may be required. I like how everyone does something to help, but I don't like how the boss is broken. After I beat Boom-Boom, nothing happened, which is probably because some shadowy person clipped through the floor. I'll place him correctly in the Level Editor for now, but you need to fix him yourself. The Dark Lizalfos also turns into Larry when defeated.

Shortcut to Hyrule Castle doesn't work properly. The warp works, but the path doesn't appear.

Grassy Plains 7 is impossible to complete without the leaf. There is only one, and it's right in the middle of Poes and a Blue Koopa kicking a giant shell, who really shouldn't be there. The extra life in the pit at the end looks like a trap, but it's not clear that the player can jump through a wall. Right before the regular exit, there's also a trapped Goomba, a broken hidden block, and stuck exit tape.

Grassy Plains 8's first pit cannot be escaped, so either place a hidden block or lower the grass to avoid this. The secret with two extra lives is nice, but because of the blatant extra life above ground, the player might think that he/she needs to jump down into the pit and climb up to get it. This level is also rather pointless, since it leads to Ground Tanks, Grassy Plain 7's secret exit stage.

The message at the start of Ground Tanks is unnecessary, and the yellow switch cannot conceivably be activated without prior knowledge and either Luigi or Toad/Link with a leaf. I don't care what Zelda had to say either, since I was rushed to the end. Consider providing more cover from Lakitu while keeping good rewards in harm's way.

Dark Dungeon brings another question to mind. Why do you keep implementing doors in these dungeons that simply exit the level? If the stages were impossible at some point, they would make sense, although that would be another problem. Additionally, the player doesn't automatically enter the level through the door, unlike the other dungeons. In the first room, the last unlit torch hurt me for some reason, but luckily, I could still light them with Link's sword. I don't like having to guess which torch works in the next room either, but I'll let this slide. Fighting Wart is obnoxious if you're not Link, as he gets stuck against the wall and the vegetables don't spawn correctly. Lastly, completing the level doesn't unlock anything, since the exit is incorrectly placed in the World Editor.

Mysterious Castle starts in the character pipe for some reason, and the torches here can be lit without fire and still hurt as well. Also, the player can become stuck in the second room with enemies, since the bombs are required. After replaying the level, I tried exiting through the front door (like I always do in dungeons) and found that it unlocked a blank blue square on the world map, which is probably because of the five-star locked door later on in the stage. This level also doesn't unlock any paths on the world map, since the Top exit is incorrectly set as SMW Exit.

The Master Sword Pedestal works perfectly.

There's a SMB2 tree clipping into a SMB3 grass background object in Master Sword Gate. Also, the SMW Exit doesn't unlock any paths on the map, since you also enabled Offscreen Exit in the level settings. I recommend turning it off. Although some people might become stuck, that is their fault for avoiding the very obvious Master Sword Pedestal and choosing Master Sword Gate instead. Additionally, you could instead create another warp that exits the level normally, so said players can return to the world map and claim the Master Sword.
Sixth Island
Just before Death Mountain Range, there's a warp on the world map that doesn't do anything. Perhaps it's not supposed to, but it still seems strange. As for the level itself, it's short, yet solid.

The boss fight in Guardians of the Land is also brief, yet great. As of now, there's nothing else to say, although Peach doesn't speak at the end. Consider adding background objects.

In Death Mountain Cave Tower, the horse head is almost invisible against the cave background. Plus, the Mario block in the second changing room works, and there's an invisible wall at the top. I also don't know why there's one SMW ? Block that contains a leaf.

The Gate doesn't work, so I'll see if I can fix the previously mentioned world map warp.

The warp worked, but the music is missing. In any case, the key is very difficult to grab at Death Mountain Cavern. Please consider either expanding the passageway leading to it or removing the spikes, as the player can become stuck. The puzzle by the midway tape can also break, and providing spikes for death is not an optimal solution. Your secret exit also cannot be accessed unless the player is small. Lastly, remove the Banzai Bill and invisible block near the SMW exit tape.

The Cliff is evident that you are running out of level names. More importantly, however, it has bad design choices. Early on, the player is given a Tanooki Suit for some reason, which is helpful. Soon, there's a gap covered by grey blocks, where the player can clearly see an extra life. If anyone else plays this as long as I have, they will likely break the blocks and jump down the pit in hopes of claiming the life, only for the pit to claim theirs instead. Then again, your project is full of these dirty tricks, so some players might wise up.

Evil Beneath the Earth must refer to the amount of bombs hidden, as there is an awfully large amount for such close combat. Also, the bat at the beginning kills you instantly, which isn't right. Speaking of bats, the one that actually holds the key is a coward. The elevator right before the boss isn't apparent, as the player simply sees Ghost House background pillars.

My only problems with Death Mountain Pitfalls are the Banzai Bill and the horde of other enemies. The secret cave was cool.

Boss Rush Dungeon is alright. At least Wart is manageable now without Link.

I changed the five-star locked door in Guardians of the Land so it only requires four stars, since this seems to be the only way to advance to Field of Enemies. The level itself seems to be a great short stage.

A Mysterious House is indeed very mysterious. I don't know what Mario said the first time, but his second line of dialogue should be, "What are you-a waiting for," not, "Wait are you-a waiting for?"

Fungus Church is spooky.

With the five stars finally in hand, I passed through The Gate and entered Bowser's Castle, which is oddly silent, due to a custom music problem. Furthermore, the key found later cannot be used, as there aren't any normal locked doors. Plus, if the shell is destroyed, the key won't escape the chest in the first place. Since this level is unplayable, I'll skip to the boss. Somehow, Luigi, Toad, and Zelda were sacrificed, which doesn't make any sense, and the Bowser Jr. boss fight was decent.
That is all there is to the demo, so I shall await your return.
Projects I support:
~Beta Tester.
Image ~Admirer.
Image ~Reviewer.
"Keep trying at something, even in failure because another attempt may be all you need."~SL

Devan2002
Ripper II
Ripper II

Postby Devan2002 » Sat Feb 17, 2018 4:29 am

Super Luigi! wrote:Once you go underground in Rainy Night (the area right before Zelda that also holds the key), there's a strange pipe in the way. The warps for it are placed backwards, so I had to resort to glitching through the wall.
I modified the slope that lead into the pipe, it was the slope that caused the problem.
Super Luigi! wrote:The Desert of Mystery can only be played with one person, even though there are two playable characters now. Thus, any dialogue from the NPC Luigi could be interpreted as coming from the person who plays as him.
Tbh, it's only like one or two levels like that.
Super Luigi! wrote:Regarding Desert Dungeon's airship, there are two airship pieces right next to the one you jump in to control the airship. Remove those or raise the controllable airship piece to speed up the ship and avoid killing your players.
I still don't know what you mean, do you mean any of these images?
Despite the cut-off ^^
Super Luigi! wrote:After thinking about what happened in Broken Down Castle, I likely clipped through the wall when changing to Luigi because he was riding on Yoshi. I don't know why this is an issue, but it happened. Maybe it was an abstract glitch that you can't control?
I think I might modify the character changing room so if you find any way of clipping out, it'll pop you back in with a message like "Whoops! That wasn't suppose to happen, luckily we were warned about this happening. So, you're welcome."
Super Luigi! wrote:The dim room in Labyrinth is a neat idea, but it's also very confusing, since the player can't see anything. In the next room, the giant Piranha Plant closest to the edge is very tedious to kill. As for the boss fight, the Rotodisc hits the player immediately, and the whole room is quite cluttered. I know only one Boom-Boom is an enemy, which is an interesting idea, but all four primarily occupy the area between the two Rotodiscs.
A: The whole "can't see anything" is what makes a dark room dark, even if some torches are lit but the ground isn't somewhat visible, it's because I'm too lazy to make transparent graphics of the ground. And I'm too lazy to beg at someone else to do it. B: You can just throw pots (unless you're Link, but if you got like a hammer suit, you can just use that). C: I might remove the rotodiscs.
Super Luigi! wrote:The controllable airship in A Second Invasion suffers from the same problems I listed for Desert Dungeon's. Remove the two blocks right next to the controllable piece, as they greatly hinder the player. Also, that piece is facing left, when it should be right. I also couldn't proceed without the airship after jumping out, and Zelda dies for some reason. After the checkpoint, there's a cluttered room that's filled with enemies. Remove either the Hammer Bro, the Rinka, the Poison Mushrooms, or the Poe. Once I found the key, I couldn't take it back to the door unless I had Link. Furthermore, the door should not be in the water, as swimming in it looks strange. The boss fight is cluttered as well, for there is far too much happening at once. Lastly, the warp after the level doesn't work properly. I suppose I'll go back to the third island now.
As I said about the desert airship, I don't know if any of those 3 are ones you'd prefer to see (even if I have to modify the airship tile that controls it to not contain a cutout). As for the cluttered room, I might remove either the rinka or the poe. The water is planned to be removed as well. I still need to update those instant warps to allow NPCs, and you helped me find one that I missed (which I had a feeling someone would find that out, but with the question being where). And the boss has been modified slightly. There is now a Larry and a blue iron knuckle, plus a propeller block that leads to an endless supply of empty pots (which can kill the blue iron knuckle if you're not using Link).
Super Luigi! wrote:An Airship Invasion has the same airship problem. After entering the enemy airship, a mace-throwing Lizalfos immediately greets the player, which might be too much. The boss fight was actually fair this time.
Read the 3rd quote. And the lizalfo has been moved back a bit.
Super Luigi! wrote:Town of Innocents also has problems. The man harassed by giant Piranha Plants doesn't care if only one is dead, and the key he gives you can be used to unlock the lady's secret door, which doesn't go anywhere. Near the end, the terrain falls apart for some reason, and it is very tedious to destroy all three colored Goombas.
I'm probably going to have it so that when one is killed, he says something about killing the other one. And then the "You saved me" bit. I might have a barrier where you are forced to use the key on the door.
Super Luigi! wrote:Grassy Plains 4 is alright, although it does make me wonder why everyone hates the rain. Is it supposed to be cursed?
Nah, it's just like how people irl don't like getting wet in the rain, especially without an umbrella.
Super Luigi! wrote:First of all, the word "labyrinth" in A LONG labyrinth should be capitalized. As for the level itself, I like how Zelda reacts to the torches being lit. The next room can lag, especially around the Grinders, which unfortunately only sometimes kill Lakitu immediately. Also, the first vine to the ceiling leads to a Blue Koopa kicking a shell, leaving the player with no time to react. I like the spiky Poe and the key that the Firebars are guarding, although it will disappear if the player can't grab it. The Bowser Jr. fight lags slightly and is ridiculous to complete as is. The Birdo raft ride is even worse, however, as it lags and there's simply too much happening. Plus, how is the player supposed to know that they need to ride the raft offscreen at the end? Place some Rupees on the correct path.
Updated labyrinth name, removed some potential lag. I modified the area where the blue koopa was, the lakitu was removed, and 2 grinders were removed. Btw, I'm on a new PC, so I don't know if I removed enough lag-filled items to prevent serious lag.
Super Luigi! wrote:Grassy Plains 6 has many problems. First of all, replace "we'll" to "we" for the man's dialogue. Next, take out the right-facing Piranha Plant and SMW Goomba, as the player will likely get hit exiting the pipe, as well as the four Bullet Bills afterwards. Lastly, the player cannot see the Blue Para-Troopas beforehand when floating over the checkpoint gap as Peach.
Fixed that grammar error, not everyone's English is perfect, even for an American-born person. Moved enemies around, and modified that blue parakoopa section.
Super Luigi! wrote:Yet Another Airship Attack contains yet another poorly-constructed airship, which you should know how to fix by now. The level name itself is also rather weak, just like Grassy Plains 6. Furthermore, Zelda should not be the life of the ship, and she shouldn't be dying in the first place, since she's protected by the ship. All airships also lack any sort of propeller. The key to get inside the big enemy ship at the end might be unobtainable, since the pots may be required. I like how everyone does something to help, but I don't like how the boss is broken. After I beat Boom-Boom, nothing happened, which is probably because some shadowy person clipped through the floor. I'll place him correctly in the Level Editor for now, but you need to fix him yourself. The Dark Lizalfos also turns into Larry when defeated.
Read 3rd quote response. Where else would I put Zelda? If I set her to "Friendly", then she can be clipped out of the ship if the controllable ship collides with another ship or solid object. I'm planning on adding propellers in the final version. Toad now gives a mushroom block when spoken to. I'm pretty sure that happened because I resized the boss with a retexture, and I placed the death for the blue Lizalfo.
Super Luigi! wrote:Shortcut to Hyrule Castle doesn't work properly. The warp works, but the path doesn't appear.
Fixed.
Super Luigi! wrote:Grassy Plains 7 is impossible to complete without the leaf. There is only one, and it's right in the middle of Poes and a Blue Koopa kicking a giant shell, who really shouldn't be there. The extra life in the pit at the end looks like a trap, but it's not clear that the player can jump through a wall. Right before the regular exit, there's also a trapped Goomba, a broken hidden block, and stuck exit tape.
I made it so leaf is required to beat the level. The blue koopa is farther away from the shell. Like against the wall. Removed the hidden block, the goomba has been moved, and the goal post is no longer stuck.
Super Luigi! wrote:Grassy Plains 8's first pit cannot be escaped, so either place a hidden block or lower the grass to avoid this. The secret with two extra lives is nice, but because of the blatant extra life above ground, the player might think that he/she needs to jump down into the pit and climb up to get it. This level is also rather pointless, since it leads to Ground Tanks, Grassy Plain 7's secret exit stage.
I added a ladder. The secret for Grassy Plains 7 only skips the level for those who didn't feel like playing the other level, even if they don't know about it because they found the secret first.
Super Luigi! wrote:The message at the start of Ground Tanks is unnecessary, and the yellow switch cannot conceivably be activated without prior knowledge and either Luigi or Toad/Link with a leaf. I don't care what Zelda had to say either, since I was rushed to the end. Consider providing more cover from Lakitu while keeping good rewards in harm's way.
Well, you can't change characters in an auto-scroller due to A: the infinite amount of time you can spend in there, and B: problems that can be caused in 2-player mode. Also, something you didn't point out that I discovered is that if you get the checkpoint, but die, you basically softlock the level as you will be at the start, but since the checkpoint is at the right edge of the screen (offscreen) you'll just die by being inside the tank. So I replaced it with 2 hearts.
Super Luigi! wrote:Dark Dungeon brings another question to mind. Why do you keep implementing doors in these dungeons that simply exit the level? If the stages were impossible at some point, they would make sense, although that would be another problem. Additionally, the player doesn't automatically enter the level through the door, unlike the other dungeons. In the first room, the last unlit torch hurt me for some reason, but luckily, I could still light them with Link's sword. I don't like having to guess which torch works in the next room either, but I'll let this slide. Fighting Wart is obnoxious if you're not Link, as he gets stuck against the wall and the vegetables don't spawn correctly. Lastly, completing the level doesn't unlock anything, since the exit is incorrectly placed in the World Editor.
The doors act like exits in case you accidentally go into the level. Plus, it wouldn't make sense if the door closed on you and you couldn't logically escape. Plus, the reason there is no entrance sometimes is because checkpoints don't work if an entrance is set. Because the entrance overwrites the checkpoint, therefore the checkpoint is useless and makes the dungeon harder, it's either difficulty or the bad design that needs to be sacrificed. I need to update the notepad files for the torches so they don't hurt. Wart is no longer a huge problem if you're not Link. And I facepalmed when I found out the exit path was wrong.
Super Luigi! wrote:Mysterious Castle starts in the character pipe for some reason, and the torches here can be lit without fire and still hurt as well. Also, the player can become stuck in the second room with enemies, since the bombs are required. After replaying the level, I tried exiting through the front door (like I always do in dungeons) and found that it unlocked a blank blue square on the world map, which is probably because of the five-star locked door later on in the stage. This level also doesn't unlock any paths on the world map, since the Top exit is incorrectly set as SMW Exit.
I forgot to set a warp for the entrance of the castle (since there is no checkpoint). OH MY GOD! The warp exit!! How did I not see this coming?
Btw, I added bold text to show my reaction. Welp, I'm guessing I'm making the pipe to the outside of the castle, and an offscreen warp.
Super Luigi! wrote:There's a SMB2 tree clipping into a SMB3 grass background object in Master Sword Gate. Also, the SMW Exit doesn't unlock any paths on the map, since you also enabled Offscreen Exit in the level settings. I recommend turning it off. Although some people might become stuck, that is their fault for avoiding the very obvious Master Sword Pedestal and choosing Master Sword Gate instead. Additionally, you could instead create another warp that exits the level normally, so said players can return to the world map and claim the Master Sword.
This tree clipping into the grass background is the same problem as the keyhole in that level back on the first island. I decided to put a barrier after the goal post. Though it will look bad, it allows progression.
Super Luigi! wrote:Just before Death Mountain Range, there's a warp on the world map that doesn't do anything. Perhaps it's not supposed to, but it still seems strange. As for the level itself, it's short, yet solid.
You mean this?
Super Luigi! wrote:The boss fight in Guardians of the Land is also brief, yet great. As of now, there's nothing else to say, although Peach doesn't speak at the end. Consider adding background objects.
I decided to add rocks in the levels (the rocks that are in water levels of SMB3).
Super Luigi! wrote:In Death Mountain Cave Tower, the horse head is almost invisible against the cave background. Plus, the Mario block in the second changing room works, and there's an invisible wall at the top. I also don't know why there's one SMW ? Block that contains a leaf.
Welp, recoloring time. Also, the Mario block has been changed to not work. The wall is so the player doesn't try to move over to the right (even though it's not an offscreen exit). The ? block is now invisible in a slightly different spot.
Super Luigi! wrote:The key is very difficult to grab at Death Mountain Cavern. Please consider either expanding the passageway leading to it or removing the spikes, as the player can become stuck. The puzzle by the midway tape can also break, and providing spikes for death is not an optimal solution. Your secret exit also cannot be accessed unless the player is small. Lastly, remove the Banzai Bill and invisible block near the SMW exit tape.
The passage has been extended, but player blocks are in the way (therefore one character will only be able to go through). The puzzle is meant to be thought out clearly otherwise they'd have to die to reset it (as a penalty for screwing up, despite the secret which intentionally requires you to be small to pass. I did that because it would be so easy for players to discover).
Super Luigi! wrote:The Cliff is evident that you are running out of level names. More importantly, however, it has bad design choices. Early on, the player is given a Tanooki Suit for some reason, which is helpful. Soon, there's a gap covered by grey blocks, where the player can clearly see an extra life. If anyone else plays this as long as I have, they will likely break the blocks and jump down the pit in hopes of claiming the life, only for the pit to claim theirs instead. Then again, your project is full of these dirty tricks, so some players might wise up.
Yeah, I had a hard time thinking of level names back then. I slightly modified where the 1up is, so it's no longer a 1-1 situation (where you get the life, but are in a scenario where you are forced to die).
Super Luigi! wrote:Evil Beneath the Earth must refer to the amount of bombs hidden, as there is an awfully large amount for such close combat. Also, the bat at the beginning kills you instantly, which isn't right. Speaking of bats, the one that actually holds the key is a coward. The elevator right before the boss isn't apparent, as the player simply sees Ghost House background pillars.
The bombs aren't meant to be used in the caves, but rather on the digdoggers and deeler in the ghost house. The coward bat is somewhere else. But it won't lead to a situation where it is hard to reach.
Super Luigi! wrote:My only problems with Death Mountain Pitfalls are the Banzai Bill and the horde of other enemies. The secret cave was cool.
I'm probably gonna tune them down, or put them in less bizarre areas.
Super Luigi! wrote:I changed the five-star locked door in Guardians of the Land so it only requires four stars, since this seems to be the only way to advance to Field of Enemies.
Ok, I've changed the required stars on the door. (since players should be able to optionally enter the cave tower without Mario). Also, I realized that I swapped the warp exit and SMW exit around by accident.
Super Luigi! wrote: I don't know what Mario said the first time, but his second line of dialogue should be, "What are you-a waiting for," not, "Wait are you-a waiting for?"
He said something about being you also being stuck under there, and since he can't jump high enough, he couldn't reach the ? block to get the ladders (even though it looks like one, there's a lot more). Also fixed the typo.
Super Luigi! wrote:With the five stars finally in hand, I passed through The Gate and entered Bowser's Castle, which is oddly silent, due to a custom music problem. Furthermore, the key found later cannot be used, as there aren't any normal locked doors. Plus, if the shell is destroyed, the key won't escape the chest in the first place. Since this level is unplayable, I'll skip to the boss. Somehow, Luigi, Toad, and Zelda were sacrificed, which doesn't make any sense, and the Bowser Jr. boss fight was decent.
I don't know why it was silent, the same bug happened with me, for some reason, the audio file must not be working, even though it was working before I switched PC's. Probably gonna have to redownload the .mp3 file. You can use the key on the pipe. I wish it would appear more obvious, but I guess a sign's gonna have to be placed down. I might need to replace the shell with something that can't be destroyed, but can be used to open the chest, maybe the upside down rainbow shell? The whole point of sacrficing Luigi, Toad, and Zelda was to limit the playable characters, and also to get Bowser to snag a 2nd triforce piece (to make the odds a little less unfair when traveling to the Golden Land, like enemies gaining new resistances and speeds with wisdom (somehow).). I did this especially since the player hasn't played with Mario for half of the game. And also, I couldn't let Link be sacrificed because Bowser would have won, and when you reload the file after exiting (if no cheats where used, or redigitiscool), you'd be Link, so I did that.

Also, I still need a bunny form of Mario (Basically Mario with bunny ears, a tail, and all of his other characteristics, but Turnip hasn't completed it in a long time, hell, he hasn't even responded to me on the progress. That's why I ended the demo there (also because half of the game was done). Anyways, I hope to get a reply back for the Airship design you are asking for. Also, when this whole thing is done, these posts need to be deleted to prevent players from spoiling half of the game before even playing/finishing it.
Last edited by Devan2002 on Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

ImageImage

Super Luigi!
Volcano Lotus
Volcano Lotus

Postby Super Luigi! » Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:50 pm

For the airship problem, use the third image. I know that it can looks silly, so try adding chains or the SMB3 wood background object to fill the holes.

I'm sorry if my advice sounds harsh, by the way. I do still appreciate your project, and I was trying to plainly state any mistakes I saw. Thank you for listening. Also, I can delete my previous posts right now if you want me to, since you've already read them.
Projects I support:
~Beta Tester.
Image ~Admirer.
Image ~Reviewer.

Grand Goomba
Rex
Rex
Chat Username: Guardian

Postby Grand Goomba » Wed Mar 07, 2018 6:14 pm

I downloaded this and am ready to play it. It looks good. When will it be finished?

Devan2002
Ripper II
Ripper II

Postby Devan2002 » Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:14 pm

Grand Goomba wrote:I downloaded this and am ready to play it. It looks good. When will it be finished?
Depends, if I'm not so distracted, and if I get plenty of days to actually work on it. Because I only get 3 days biweekly to even have to the opportunity to work on it. And with feedback, it will take longer, I'm not saying you shouldn't give feedback, but it's slightly more work for me, and I'm hoping to make this as playable as it can be without any bugs, glitches, soft locks, etc.

ImageImage

Cref57
Bit
Bit
Current Project: Super Mario Bros DX Restart | Henry hatsworth mushroom kingdom adventure | Cref57 gfx pack
Chat Username: Cref57

Postby Cref57 » Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:54 pm

Good idea but is a bit strange
Join to my server
ADD PROJECT MIX LOGO HERE

WAH

Devan2002
Ripper II
Ripper II

Postby Devan2002 » Sun Mar 18, 2018 1:56 pm

Cref57 wrote:Good idea but is a bit strange
What do you mean strange?

ImageImage

Cref57
Bit
Bit
Current Project: Super Mario Bros DX Restart | Henry hatsworth mushroom kingdom adventure | Cref57 gfx pack
Chat Username: Cref57

Postby Cref57 » Sun Mar 18, 2018 1:59 pm

Devan2002 wrote:
Cref57 wrote:Good idea but is a bit strange
What do you mean strange?
because it's something new to watch an episode of Tloz
Join to my server
ADD PROJECT MIX LOGO HERE

WAH

Devan2002
Ripper II
Ripper II

Postby Devan2002 » Fri Sep 07, 2018 7:24 pm

Attention!

This project will be fully released on Saturday September 15th, 2018.

ImageImage

Return to “Projects”