Comical Adventure

Share your work-in-progress SMBX episode or browse and support others'.
Forum rules
Before you make a topic/post, consider the following:
-Is there a topic for this already?
-Does your topic feature proof of progress, i.e., level/world screenshots, wiki page, playable demo.
-Is your post on-topic/appropriate?
-Are you posting in the right forum/following the forum rules?
Ruan555
Rex
Rex
Current Project: Comical Adventure
Chat Username: Ruan555

Comical Adventure

Postby Ruan555 » Sat Apr 29, 2017 1:02 am

After giving up on so many projects in the past, i finally decided to stick with this one. Production begun on 2016, and it went on a long hiatus for some reasons, but now it's back on track and on going! Without further ado, i present to you all, my first project ever:

Comical Adventure!

Story
Spoiler: show
After saving Princess Peach countless times, Mario grew strong feelings for her, and wants to ask her in marriage. Since Peach is trowing a party at her castle, this is the perfect chance for Mario to declare himself to her.
But when Mario arrives, something bad happens: Peach gets kidnaped again! AGAIN!!! Mario got very frustraded by that, and now, he must save her one more time. To make matters worse, Toad tries to search for Peach but gets kidnaped as well. So Mario must save both him and Peach.
And this is when Mario's comical adventure truly beggins!
And by the end of this, Mario discovers the truth about the universe he lives in...
Worlds and Progress
World 1: Blockland (grass) Progress: 100%
World 2: Refreshing Beaches (beach) Progress: 30%
World 3: Dry Dry Desert (desert) Progress: 0%
World 4: Subcon Cave (cave) Progress: 0%
World 5: Living Forest (forest) Progress: 0%
World 6: Chill Lands (ice) Progress: 0%
World 7: The Clouds (sky) Progress: 0%
World 8: Magma Dome (lava) Progress: 0%
World 9: Land of Dreams (special) Progress: 0%
Screenshots
World One
Other Info
-This is a multi-styled episode. But the main style is SMB3.
-The levels are being made on 1.3.0.1 legacy editor.
-The world map is being made on PGE.
-There are 5 playable characters. You start of with Mario, and you will unlock the rest throughout the adventure.
-Every normal level have 1 hidden star, as well the villages. The castles and dungeons have 2 stars: one hidden and one for defeating the boss.
-Sometimes there will have cutscene levels, so you can understand how the story unfolds.
-Sometimes you will unlock extra levels to play. You're not required to play then, you only play then if you feel like it. They aways end with a star.
-Every world have a star sanctuary at the end, so you can see if you collected every star in the world.
-There is a lot of dialogue and talkable npcs. Sometimes they say something different, so pay attention to not miss the details!
-Every village have a shop in it. But sometimes there are shops on normal levels. Shops can also be alone on a specific level made just for then.
-Sometimes there are secret entrances that only specifics characters can enter.
-Once you unlock a character, there will be character blocks on the start of the next upcoming levels.
-Most of the levels of this episode have a linear design, levels with more complex designs appear rarely.
Credits
Graphics:
Sednaiur
Valtteri
Eternity
If i forgot to credit someone, tell me.

Music:
Paper Mario
Kirby and the Rainbow Curse
Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
Mario Party 1
Super Adventure Island
Super Mario 3D Land
The Dog Island
Downloads
Demo 1: http://www.mediafire.com/file/8j9rz92h8 ... emo%29.zip

Support
If you support this project, put this on your signature!

Support Logo:

Code: Select all

[url=https://www.supermariobrosx.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=90&t=18452][img]http://imgur.com/0kIwuDN.png[/img][/url]
Support Bar:

Code: Select all

[url=https://www.supermariobrosx.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=90&t=18452][img]http://imgur.com/ptVvAWC.png[/img][/url]
Feedback is appreciated. Hope you enjoy! :)
Last edited by Ruan555 on Sat Jul 22, 2017 8:28 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Current Project

Shadow_Flame
Level Reviewer
Level Reviewer
Current Project: Quest for Doxoria

Re: Comical Adventure

Postby Shadow_Flame » Sat Apr 29, 2017 4:09 pm

This project looks really good! I played part of your demo, up until the fortress and can give you some feedback.

The dialogue is pretty good with the addition of a narrator (although I never knew Mario could speak!) and I like the background graphics and the music choices. I felt that enemies in some levels were a bit repetitive and those Goombas in Yoshi shells were often spawning very frequently. Also, for the cave level I was expecting to get the star right before that final pipe but when it said that the star would be somewhere else in the level (without specifying), I gave up on finding it, despite the fact I had spent a good amount of time trying to find all the red coins (reducing them to 8 might be useful). Last but not least, that Boom-Boom fight got hard very quickly as soon as those jumping enemies appeared. However, I really loved the idea about that block shield with the mushroom ;)

Will give more feedback when I finish with the whole demo but I don't mind beta-testing the project if you want.

Shadow_Flame
Level Reviewer
Level Reviewer
Current Project: Quest for Doxoria

Postby Shadow_Flame » Sat Apr 29, 2017 6:20 pm

Alright, I've now finished the demo. I think this project has a lot of potential! Loved the mini-cutscene, it has a flowing plotline. I also liked the addition of an extra level. Does having an extra star give you anything in the end? I'm looking forward to this project being developed further...

Ruan555
Rex
Rex

Postby Ruan555 » Sat Apr 29, 2017 6:28 pm

Shadow_Flame wrote:This project looks really good! I played part of your demo, up until the fortress and can give you some feedback.

The dialogue is pretty good with the addition of a narrator (although I never knew Mario could speak!) and I like the background graphics and the music choices. I felt that enemies in some levels were a bit repetitive and those Goombas in Yoshi shells were often spawning very frequently. Also, for the cave level I was expecting to get the star right before that final pipe but when it said that the star would be somewhere else in the level (without specifying), I gave up on finding it, despite the fact I had spent a good amount of time trying to find all the red coins (reducing them to 8 might be useful). Last but not least, that Boom-Boom fight got hard very quickly as soon as those jumping enemies appeared. However, I really loved the idea about that block shield with the mushroom ;)

Will give more feedback when I finish with the whole demo but I don't mind beta-testing the project if you want.
Thank you so much for the feedback! Highly appreciated! :D

So yeah, about the dialogue, i felt like a narrator would be kind of unique since not many episodes features them, and i made Mario talk so it's easier for me to work with the lines (it would be kind of difficult to make a conversation between Mario and someone else if Mario din't respond at all).

About the levels, the enemies start of repetitive on world 1, just some goombas and koopas with their big counterparts, but the variety increases as you go along the next worlds (world 2 will have more kinds of enemies, and world 3 even more). I had a feeling that the goombas inside yoshi eggs would become annoying, i should give more time to the generator, about one or half seconds would be enough, i shall fix this next time.
For the cave level, i knew this level would be the most time consuming of then all, i should have specified how many red coins you need to collect and where the star is located, this also shall be fixed next time.

EDIT: Fixed!

About the Boom-Boom fight, those jumping enemies can become a pain in the butt, and there is rinkas too! But the fire flower can take care of them and Boom-Boom as well, so your only serious problem is the spikes on the ground. (Here is a hint: when the hard part comes, use your fire flower and stay on the lower left corner, and then start spamming fire balls on the Boom-Boom and the jumping enemies, don't forget to shoot upwards to hit the rinkas, and you're good to go).

I don't need beta-testers at the moment, but if i need it, i will notify you. ;)
Have fun with the rest of the demo!
Shadow_Flame wrote:Alright, I've now finished the demo. I think this project has a lot of potential! Loved the mini-cutscene, it has a flowing plotline. I also liked the addition of an extra level. Does having an extra star give you anything in the end? I'm looking forward to this project being developed further...
Extra stars can help you unlock some things, but the main reason of then is to help you 100% the game.
Thanks for liking my project! More updates and demos will come later, stay tuned for it! :)
Current Project

Softster-SMBX
Volcano Lotus
Volcano Lotus

Postby Softster-SMBX » Tue May 23, 2017 9:49 pm

This project isn't bad, at least some level designs are decent, but my problem is.... The Mario Pad level is the exact same thing to the Super Mario Legends Mario House.

Ruan555
Rex
Rex

Postby Ruan555 » Wed May 24, 2017 4:46 pm

The101MarioGuy wrote:This project isn't bad, at least some level designs are decent, but my problem is.... The Mario Pad level is the exact same thing to the Super Mario Legends Mario House.
Yeah, they look very similar, but that's what i wanted to do. Since Super Mario Legends is my favorite episode of all time, i wanted to make a similar Mario Pad level to make a reference to that amazing episode.

But if you're really not confortable with this, i can make an updated version of the Mario Pad level to replace the current one in the next demo.
Current Project

Ryuji231
Hoopster
Hoopster

Postby Ryuji231 » Sun May 28, 2017 11:39 am

I'm looking forward to this one.
I support:

Mr General Guy
Fighter Fly
Fighter Fly
Current Project: Many stuff

Postby Mr General Guy » Sun Jun 25, 2017 4:21 pm

Aw damn.

I had been working on an episode nearly identical to this one. (Except Mario is kidnapped alongside Peach and Toad has to save both, and there isn't much depth(well, actually, there is, but in a very different way, hard to explain)

And now I found out this existed today.(FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU-)

Anyways, played the demo,and it was really good! I really can't wait to see what the full version brings!

And as a side note, do you have any ideas on how I can differentiate my own episode?)
Last edited by Mr General Guy on Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:07 am, edited 3 times in total.

Ruan555
Rex
Rex

Postby Ruan555 » Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:09 am

Mr General Guy wrote:Aw damn.

I had been working on an episode nearly identical to this one. (Except Mario is kidnapped alongside Peach and Toad has to save both, and there isn't much depth)

Oh! Sorry about this. :lol:
Mr General Guy wrote:Anyways, played the demo,and it was really good! I really can't wait to see what the full version brings!
Thanks for playing! :)
Mr General Guy wrote:And as a side note, do you have any ideas on how I can differentiate my own episode?)
Well, since my episode focuses mostly on plot, and you said your episode doesn't have much depth and Toad as the main character, then i suggest making a regular adventure that features levels built around Toad and his skills.
But then again you can make your episode the way you want, and i don't mind if you take some inspiration from my episode. ;)
Current Project

Mr General Guy
Fighter Fly
Fighter Fly
Current Project: Many stuff

Postby Mr General Guy » Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:11 am

Ruan555 wrote:
Mr General Guy wrote:Aw damn.

I had been working on an episode nearly identical to this one. (Except is kidnapped alongside Peach and Toad has to save both, and there isn't much depth)

Oh! Sorry about this. :lol:
Mr General Guy wrote:Anyways, played the demo,and it was really good! I really can't wait to see what the full version brings!
Thanks for playing! :)
Mr General Guy wrote:And as a side note, do you have any ideas on how I can differentiate my own episode?)
Well, since my episode focuses mostly on plot, and you said your episode doesn't have much depth and Toad as the main character, then i suggest making a regular adventure that features built around Toad and his skills.
But then again you can make your episode the way you want, and i don't mind if you take some inspiration from my episode. ;)
Don't worry. You have nothing to apologize for. And thanks for the tips!

WhatDoYouThinks
Cheep-Cheep
Cheep-Cheep
Current Project: ???
Chat Username: WhatDoYouThinks

Postby WhatDoYouThinks » Sat Dec 30, 2017 11:22 am

Judging by the plot and the screenshots and plot this episodes looks great. Can't wait till it gets done!
I honestly don't know what to put here yet!

Wellington Games
Rex
Rex
Flair: Protector of Planet Radius
Current Project: MARIO & LUIGI - The Great Quest (SMBX 1.4.4)
Chat Username: WellyGames

Postby Wellington Games » Fri Jun 08, 2018 5:49 pm

Hey Ruan555, are you still working in this episode?
The projects that I support: The graphics packs that I support: Other things that I support:

Return to “Projects”