Attack of the Darkness (HIATUS)

Share your work-in-progress SMBX episode or browse and support others'.
Forum rules
Before you make a topic/post, consider the following:
-Is there a topic for this already?
-Does your topic feature proof of progress, i.e., level/world screenshots, wiki page, playable demo.
-Is your post on-topic/appropriate?
-Are you posting in the right forum/following the forum rules?

Is there any hype?

HYPE!!!!!
39%
Hype!
49%
Medium hype
4%
Low hype
8%

Total votes: 76
PopYoshi
Boom Boom
Boom Boom
Current Project: Super Mario the Attack of Darkness

Re: Attack of the Darkness (HIATUS)

Postby PopYoshi » Sun May 05, 2019 9:45 am

Now's when I begin to look for more level designers
*sigh*

Hope when I release the demo some people will get interested to apply for the position

My project:

Eri7
Banned
Flair: Hard work pays off sooner or later
Current Project: SMNZ (38A) + SMNP1 (38A) + MKA(2.0) + TNV (2.0/38A) + TNVL (2.0/38A) + SMNP2 (2.0) + SMNR (2.0)
Chat Username: Eri7

Postby Eri7 » Sun May 05, 2019 9:54 am

PopYoshi, i can be a level designer but the way i design levels is very, very different from how you design levels judging from the level i beta tested, if you are going to hire me as a level designer, expect 3 things.
1st, i will make levels once a month or two, why? Because i am too busy with 4 projects and countless more stuff.
2nd, systematic approach, the way i design levels is use a formula and focus my level on a gimmick, the point of the level is to explore its interaction, the way you design levels judging by what i beta tested is provide challenges until something big happens and alongside these challenges, force the player to explore to progress further or give him a lot of options for exploration to get items/npc dialogue/secret bosses and then repeat one or two times until the all of the cards have been played aka the cutscenes/main bosses/story stuff which is not how i will usually design a level.
3rd, i will be using 2.0, i know you can't use it so that will be a problem.

PopYoshi
Boom Boom
Boom Boom

Postby PopYoshi » Sun May 05, 2019 10:04 am

Eri7 wrote:
Sun May 05, 2019 9:54 am
PopYoshi, i can be a level designer but the way i design levels is very, very different from how you design levels judging from the level i beta tested, if you are going to hire me as a level designer, expect 3 things.
1st, i will make levels once a month or two, why? Because i am too busy with 4 projects and countless more stuff.
2nd, systematic approach, the way i design levels is use a formula and focus my level on a gimmick, the point of the level is to explore its interaction, the way you design levels judging by what i beta tested is provide challenges until something big happens and alongside these challenges, force the player to explore to progress further or give him a lot of options for exploration to get items/npc dialogue/secret bosses and then repeat one or two times until the all of the cards have been played aka the cutscenes/main bosses/story stuff which is not how i will usually design a level.
I'm not too good with gimmicks, not to mention I already had doubts about that level...

Even if I wanted to make you a designer I can't play the 2.0 :/ that's the only problem to me

My project:

sammerbro
Lakitu
Lakitu
Flair: playing and making SMBX stuff
Current Project: Sam Lev Boss Rush 5

Postby sammerbro » Sun May 05, 2019 11:13 am

PopYoshi wrote:
Sun May 05, 2019 9:45 am
*sigh*

Hope when I release the demo some people will get interested to apply for the position
I can be a level designer since I have 1.3.

PopYoshi
Boom Boom
Boom Boom

Postby PopYoshi » Sun May 05, 2019 11:54 am

sammerbro wrote:
Sun May 05, 2019 11:13 am
PopYoshi wrote:
*sigh*

Do you have a level thread? if you don't then send me at least 2 levels and I'll take a decision

My project:

sammerbro
Lakitu
Lakitu
Flair: playing and making SMBX stuff
Current Project: Sam Lev Boss Rush 5

Postby sammerbro » Sun May 05, 2019 12:09 pm

PopYoshi wrote:
Sun May 05, 2019 11:54 am
sammerbro wrote:
Sun May 05, 2019 11:13 am
PopYoshi wrote:
*sigh*

Do you have a level thread? if you don't then send me at least 2 levels and I'll take a decision
I will send you levels once they are finished.

PopYoshi
Boom Boom
Boom Boom

Postby PopYoshi » Wed May 08, 2019 8:00 am

Looking good so far!
Spoiler: show
The level's called Bouncing on Mushrooms

My project:

Eri7
Banned
Current Project: SMNZ (38A) + SMNP1 (38A) + MKA(2.0) + TNV (2.0/38A) + TNVL (2.0/38A) + SMNP2 (2.0) + SMNR (2.0)

Postby Eri7 » Wed May 08, 2019 8:02 am

PopYoshi wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 8:00 am
Looking good so far!
It does look good but what is the gimmick?

LGLMAKING
Mega Mole
Mega Mole
Flair: B ready, MK7, Imma hack you soon!!!
Current Project: See 'Flair'

Postby LGLMAKING » Wed May 08, 2019 8:12 am

Eri7 wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 8:02 am
PopYoshi wrote:
Looking good so far!
Mushroom bouncing
Collab leader of:

I support

Eri7
Banned

Postby Eri7 » Wed May 08, 2019 8:13 am

LGLMAKING wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 8:12 am
Eri7 wrote:
PopYoshi wrote:
Looking good so far!
Mushroom bouncing
Ohh, too bad this gimmick has only one interaction so bringing variety to it will be kinda hard.

Electriking
Flair: I have NO idea what to put here
Current Project: Something
Chat Username: ElectriKing

Postby Electriking » Wed May 08, 2019 8:24 am

Eri7 wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 8:13 am
LGLMAKING wrote:
Eri7 wrote:

Mushroom bouncing
Ohh, too bad this gimmick has only one interaction so bringing variety to it will be kinda hard.
Interactions ≠ ability to add variety
SMM2 ID: JJF-P7G-FSF

Cedur
Blue Yoshi Egg
Blue Yoshi Egg
Flair: Save climate, cut fridays for whole-week future
Current Project: various playthroughs and tests

Postby Cedur » Wed May 08, 2019 8:25 am

Eri7 wrote:It does look good but what is the gimmick?

(why) is there a general dogmatic need for one

Supports: show

Still using the legacy editor? Get SMBX2 and PGE, it will improve your experience significantly. Here's why.

iphtechnologies wrote: NEO super mario world x is a really nice game. This Episode is 2,7 GB large at the moment.That`s crazy!
Please find similar post:
[ads]

If you're not smart enough to plan ahead, then DOOM ON YOU!

PopYoshi
Boom Boom
Boom Boom

Postby PopYoshi » Wed May 08, 2019 12:24 pm

I thought you were asking that in a ironic way
Anyway, here's the gimmick

That, and the fruit from the tree

Added in 5 minutes 52 seconds:
Eri7 wrote:
LGLMAKING wrote:
Eri7 wrote:

Mushroom bouncing
Still the gimmick isn't always what matters
The first version of this level made in 2015, a 2 minutes long level which only gimmick was mushroom bouncing and that had a not so hidden star (and which name was Jumping from Mushroom to Mushroom) received a 7.5 by ShadowStarX, with the only issues being the bad coin placement (the few coins the level had) and the clash with YI graphics

My project:

Teemster2
Ripper II
Ripper II

Postby Teemster2 » Wed May 08, 2019 12:54 pm

PopYoshi wrote:
Sun May 05, 2019 10:04 am
Eri7 wrote:
I'm not too good with gimmicks, not to mention I already had doubts about that level...

Even if I wanted to make you a designer I can't play the 2.0 :/ that's the only problem to me
You should still be able to play 1.3 levels with 2.0 and if there is an issue with 2.0 maybe that will be fixed when the official beta release comes out? Good luck with your project.

Added in 4 minutes 10 seconds:
Eri7 wrote:
PopYoshi wrote:
Looking good so far!
I never really thought levels needed a gimmick. A level with a good gimmick that is really rompy and uses no layers or events can be worse then a level with no gimmick that is still challenging for the player.
I want to say thank you to God for every day he gives me on this planet and for the chance to be in a better place when I die.

Eri7
Banned

Postby Eri7 » Wed May 08, 2019 1:01 pm

Teemster2 wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 12:58 pm
PopYoshi wrote:
Eri7 wrote:

You should still be able to play 1.3 levels with 2.0 and if there is an issue with 2.0 maybe that will be fixed when the official beta release comes out? Good luck with your project.

Eri7 wrote:
PopYoshi wrote:
Looking good so far!
I never really thought levels needed a gimmick. A level with a good gimmick that is really rompy and uses no layers or events can be worse then a level with no gimmick that is still challenging for the player.
Gimmicks are what makes up the gameplay, of course you need them, everything which has a gameplay interaction is a gimmick, even a simple goomba! Events/layers are just tools to use for some of your gimmicks like to provide more interactions with them/make challenges harder/add twist to them. I have seen plenty of levels where people have left their gimmicks unexplored by having a lot of repetitive challenges with them without exploring their interactions.

PopYoshi
Boom Boom
Boom Boom

Postby PopYoshi » Wed May 08, 2019 1:05 pm

Teemster2 wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 12:58 pm
PopYoshi wrote:
Eri7 wrote:

Eri7 wrote:
PopYoshi wrote:
Looking good so far!
I've already explained that my PC can't run SMBX2

My project:

Super Luigi!
Volcano Lotus
Volcano Lotus
Flair: ???
Current Project: Super Luigi World.
Chat Username: SL

Postby Super Luigi! » Wed May 08, 2019 10:29 pm

I think the bouncing mushroom level looks great, especially regarding how everything is colored and designed. Additionally, we probably have different definitions for the word "gimmick".
Projects I support:
Image ~Level Designer and Beta Tester.
~Beta Tester.
Image ~Admirer.
Image ~Reviewer.
"Keep trying at something, even in failure because another attempt may be all you need."~SL

Eri7
Banned

Postby Eri7 » Thu May 09, 2019 3:33 am

PopYoshi wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 12:29 pm

Eri7 wrote:
LGLMAKING wrote:

Mushroom bouncing
The first version of this level made in 2015, a 2 minutes long level which only gimmick was mushroom bouncing and that had a not so hidden star (and which name was Jumping from Mushroom to Mushroom) received a 7.5 by ShadowStarX, with the only issues being the bad coin placement (the few coins the level had) and the clash with YI graphics
I just saw this reply, and yes gimmicks DO matter a lot! Just because in the past, level judging was different since this community wasn't that enlightened yet in level design, it doesn't mean the same standarts can be applied now! Since 2017, a lot of people have been improving to level design thanks to people like Enjl or Waddle who introduced us to blocking which was just a wonderful thing and i wish i knew it earilier and Enjl even made 2 videos on level design! They have encouraged us to become better, redirect us to level designing videos such as Mark Brown's amazing videos on level design and overall, without them, i don't think we would have improved that much. So yeah, PopYoshi this isn't 2015, this is 2019 and stuff have changed a lot, you better get in the game or your levels will suffer repetitiveness and lack of innovative uses of gimmicks which will make your level feel bland/dull even tho your aesthetics are great, your bosses are decent and your cutscenes are amazing so yeah, focus on improving this and i am sure this project will be really, really good!

Added in 1 minute 59 seconds:
Super Luigi! wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 10:29 pm
I think the bouncing mushroom level looks great, especially regarding how everything is colored and designed. Additionally, we probably have different definitions for the word "gimmick".
Gimmick is an object, call it npc, event, block or whatever else that provides a gameplay interaction. Everything can be a gimmick if it provides a new interaction to the gameplay. What do you think of gimmicks? Do you think they are only meant to be flashy big things? I too used to think like this but since Waddle helped me a lot with realizing what gimmicks actually are, i now understand that everything can be a gimmick and gimmicks shouldn't be left unexplored.

Waddle
Tellah
Tellah
Flair: The goblin uprising is upon us

Postby Waddle » Thu May 09, 2019 3:57 am

Eri7 wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 3:35 am
PopYoshi wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 12:29 pm

Eri7 wrote:

I just saw this reply, and yes gimmicks DO matter a lot! Just because in the past, level judging was different since this community wasn't that enlightened yet in level design, it doesn't mean the same standarts can be applied now! Since 2017, a lot of people have been improving to level design thanks to people like Enjl or Waddle who introduced us to blocking which was just a wonderful thing and i wish i knew it earilier and Enjl even made 2 videos on level design! They have encouraged us to become better, redirect us to level designing videos such as Mark Brown's amazing videos on level design and overall, without them, i don't think we would have improved that much. So yeah, PopYoshi this isn't 2015, this is 2019 and stuff have changed a lot, you better get in the game or your levels will suffer repetitiveness and lack of innovative uses of gimmicks which will make your level feel bland/dull even tho your aesthetics are great, your bosses are decent and your cutscenes are amazing so yeah, focus on improving this and i am sure this project will be really, really good!

Added in 1 minute 59 seconds:
Super Luigi! wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 10:29 pm
Gimmick is an object, call it npc, event, block or whatever else that provides a gameplay interaction. Everything can be a gimmick if it provides a new interaction to the gameplay. What do you think of gimmicks? Do you think they are only meant to be flashy big things? I too used to think like this but since Waddle helped me a lot with realizing what gimmicks actually are, i now understand that everything can be a gimmick and gimmicks shouldn't be left unexplored.
If anything can be a gimmick then surely these mushroom springs are also gimmicks! And there's definitely enough that can be done with them. One vital point I want to stress is that the style of level design that Enjl and I advocate is one of many; it isn't the "right" one, it's not meant to "enlighten" a stupid community but rather it's the way we feel we can consistently make cool levels. And even then I tend to stray from these methods: I rarely actually do the barebones blocking process but I still deploy the technique every now and then. Preaching a singular design philosophy as gospel, as flattering as it is, is not a very good attitude towards something like level design. We don't want everyone to start making the same levels with the same principles- variety is fun. Look to SMW romhacks or SMM levels: these are fundamentally different from SMBX levels but they are not worse. There is overlap in the principles applied, but there's also enormous differences and these differences are valuable, not something to be combated.

PopYoshi
Boom Boom
Boom Boom

Postby PopYoshi » Thu May 09, 2019 5:56 am

Someday I'll die without knowing what should I do

Sorry if I sound rude but:

I'll add 50 gimmicks to my level, then I'll add the Benny Hill theme because it's super atheltic for the level and the whole blocks of the level will be the bouncing mushrooms

First you're going to jump from a mushroom to hit a goomba, then you have to climb while you shoot an explosive bird, after that you'll reach a zone with two bosses at the same time, you kill them, then a mushrooms falls and you have to take a motorcycle to jump over a great pit. After that you have to escape from a nuclear explosion and jump to an airplane but the airplane is filled with tons of Bowsers, you have to drive the plane while you shoot Bowser but the plane falls and you slide in a mushroom and fight another boss with a bullet cannon and PAM PAM PAM!

Done, it's the perfect level, now let me work!

Yes, I exploded
Yet no one says anything about the levels of The Restoration which main """""gimmick""""" in several levels are bullet bills and moving layers so far I've played it

Probably I'll have a call of attention for my attitude, but I don't care, I had to say it
I like to take what people says in consideration but not like this
Excuse me, I have a project to make

My project:

Return to “Projects”