Attack of the Darkness (HIATUS)

Share your work-in-progress SMBX episode or browse and support others'.
Forum rules
Before you make a topic/post, consider the following:
-Is there a topic for this already?
-Does your topic feature proof of progress, i.e., level/world screenshots, wiki page, playable demo.
-Is your post on-topic/appropriate?
-Are you posting in the right forum/following the forum rules?

Is there any hype?

HYPE!!!!!
30
39%
Hype!
37
49%
Medium hype
3
4%
Low hype
6
8%
 
Total votes: 76
User avatar
Cedur
Blue Yoshi Egg
Blue Yoshi Egg
Posts: 4969
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:14 am
Flair: Save climate, cut fridays for whole-week future
Current Project: various playthroughs and tests

Re: Attack of the Darkness (HIATUS)

Postby Cedur » Thu May 09, 2019 6:52 am

PopYoshi wrote:Sorry if I sound rude but:

I'll add 50 gimmicks to my level, then I'll add the Benny Hill theme because it's super atheltic for the level and the whole blocks of the level will be the bouncing mushrooms

First you're going to jump from a mushroom to hit a goomba, then you have to climb while you shoot an explosive bird, after that you'll reach a zone with two bosses at the same time, you kill them, then a mushrooms falls and you have to take a motorcycle to jump over a great pit. After that you have to escape from a nuclear explosion and jump to an airplane but the airplane is filled with tons of Bowsers, you have to drive the plane while you shoot Bowser but the plane falls and you slide in a mushroom and fight another boss with a bullet cannon and PAM PAM PAM!

Done, it's the perfect level, now let me work!

Satire, right? If so I can fully relate.
size wrote:in fact you know you should look out to not make your levels too long
Image

Supports: show
Image
Image
Image
Image

Image

Still using the legacy editor? Get SMBX2 and PGE, it will improve your experience significantly. Here's why.

iphtechnologies wrote: NEO super mario world x is a really nice game. This Episode is 2,7 GB large at the moment.That`s crazy!
Please find similar post:
[ads]

If you're not smart enough to plan ahead, then DOOM ON YOU!

User avatar
Eri7
Banned
Posts: 1653
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2017 4:48 pm
Flair: Hard work pays off sooner or later
Current Project: SMNZ (38A) + SMNP1 (38A) + MKA(2.0) + TNV (2.0/38A) + TNVL (2.0/38A) + SMNP2 (2.0) + SMNR (2.0)
Chat Username: Eri7
Contact:

Re: Attack of the Darkness (HIATUS)

Postby Eri7 » Thu May 09, 2019 7:15 am

Thanks waddle for the clarification, honestly there is so much more I can learn from you about level design and I appreciate when you correct me/critic me because then I can continue to learn more and more.
Popyoshi, look, I am really sorry if I sounded rude to you, I only wanted to help you. The episode you listed is old, your level design philosophy is based on the levels which were made years ago but thanks to Waddle, I now understand this is not necessarily a bad thing. He was indeed right, we need variety and I didn't want you to strictly follow the same rules I follow but I want you to take my perspective and reconsider which parts of it would be great to add to your perspective so you can improve and make even better levels. I am telling you again, all of these comments weren't meant to make you feel bad or insult your hard work, my intent was simply to help you through my knowledge and support you! I WANT you to succeed! I WANT you to be happy and have fun while designing your project and most importantly, I WANT you to finish this project and prove that even losing the files of it for what? 2 times, you are not going to give up and that you are going to make a wonderful project that can bring fun to a lot of people, there is a reason why I wanted to become a beta tester and it was to help you reach this goal and support you until the end Buddy, so please don't hate me and if you are willing to forgive me, this will make me very happy!
Image
Image
Image
Image

User avatar
PopYoshi
Boom Boom
Boom Boom
Posts: 1769
Joined: Sat Jun 07, 2014 12:48 pm
Current Project: Super Mario the Attack of Darkness

Re: Attack of the Darkness (HIATUS)

Postby PopYoshi » Thu May 09, 2019 1:55 pm

I'm still upset but you are forgiven

Added in 2 hours 36 minutes 4 seconds:
Hopefully the 1-2 level won't be as long as the first level. If I can place my ideas in the level as I want the level won't be long

But the worlds are a different story: If you saw the main thread, Mushroom Center, Pharaon's Sand Paradise, Aquatic Dream (which is one of the most complex worlds since it's divided in islands), Hidden Woods, Dangerous Zone, Nebulous Reigns and Crystalline Snow are massive, having from 10 to 12 levels with exception of the last 3 worlds

Hopefully the number of levels in Nebulous Reigns and Dangerous Zone will be reduced if the ideas are well comprimed correctly so the quantity can change with time, but for the first 4 worlds it's already decided
Image

Image

My project:

Image

User avatar
Teemster2
Ripper II
Ripper II
Posts: 318
Joined: Sat Jan 18, 2014 11:56 am

Re: Attack of the Darkness (HIATUS)

Postby Teemster2 » Thu May 09, 2019 8:30 pm

I like projects with more levels because they last longer and playing 200-500 levels in my opinion is fun but they must have good quality for it to work and as enjl pointed out most people would get burnt out for whatever reason but for those who can pull it off more power to you.
I want to say thank you to God for every day he gives me on this planet and for the chance to be in a better place when I die.

User avatar
PopYoshi
Boom Boom
Boom Boom
Posts: 1769
Joined: Sat Jun 07, 2014 12:48 pm
Current Project: Super Mario the Attack of Darkness

Re: Attack of the Darkness (HIATUS)

Postby PopYoshi » Thu May 09, 2019 8:33 pm

Teemster2 wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 8:30 pm
I like projects with more levels because they last longer and playing 200-500 levels in my opinion is fun but they must have good quality for it to work and as enjl pointed out most people would get burnt out for whatever reason but for those who can pull it off more power to you.
Uhhhh... it's fun but until a certain point. Hopefully the levels will be lesser in the future, due to the levels being a lot I'm trying my best to make them stand out
Image

Image

My project:

Image

User avatar
64searchman46
Pokey
Pokey
Posts: 211
Joined: Sun Feb 22, 2015 4:38 pm
Flair: Flair
Current Project: Dimension X; GFX Pack
Chat Username: kborg
Contact:

Re: Attack of the Darkness (HIATUS)

Postby 64searchman46 » Thu May 09, 2019 8:46 pm

Honestly, I find that longer episodes should have shorter levels. If you have any gimmicks you would like to use, then you could expand on them in later levels. Longer episodes usually don't work out, though.

But even then if you end up having trouble finishing your project, scaling down is never a bad idea, and then you could have a short episode with longer levels. Some of the best episodes are pretty short, and plenty of episodes are short.

Anyways, no matter how you take on this project, I'll continue to support it and you! If you ever need to downscale your project, don't feel sorry. Sometimes it's for the best, I myself know from my own personal experience.
Image

Discord server: https://discord.gg/dMTvpva
Discord username: kborg#5607
Switch friend code: SW-0765-3487-6690
Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCnIJoT ... subscriber

I support:
Spoiler: show
ImageImage
Image
Image
Image
Image

User avatar
PopYoshi
Boom Boom
Boom Boom
Posts: 1769
Joined: Sat Jun 07, 2014 12:48 pm
Current Project: Super Mario the Attack of Darkness

Re: Attack of the Darkness (HIATUS)

Postby PopYoshi » Thu May 09, 2019 8:56 pm

I think that for now the First world is the biggest one. Not only for the levels but also because it has some stuff that will serve as an introduction to what the episode will be which is the reason why it'll be the only world of the demo (you have to be happy that, at least the Pharaon's Sand Paradise won't have long levels, that applies too to Aquatic Dream)
Image

Image

My project:

Image

User avatar
LGLMAKING
Mega Mole
Mega Mole
Posts: 277
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:28 am
Flair: B ready, MK7, Imma hack you soon!!!
Current Project: See 'Flair'

Re: Attack of the Darkness (HIATUS)

Postby LGLMAKING » Fri May 10, 2019 8:03 am

Hey PopYoshi.
You might wanna attach to layer some mushrooms to friendly floating invisible Kamikaze Koopas. For the mushroom level
Collab leader of:
Image

I support
Image
Image

User avatar
PopYoshi
Boom Boom
Boom Boom
Posts: 1769
Joined: Sat Jun 07, 2014 12:48 pm
Current Project: Super Mario the Attack of Darkness

Re: Attack of the Darkness (HIATUS)

Postby PopYoshi » Fri May 10, 2019 8:19 am

LGLMAKING wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 8:03 am
Hey PopYoshi.
You might wanna attach to layer some mushrooms to friendly floating invisible Kamikaze Koopas. For the mushroom level
I did once it to simulate the chasing lasers from the Othertoad boss I showed before :3
Image

Image

My project:

Image

User avatar
LGLMAKING
Mega Mole
Mega Mole
Posts: 277
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:28 am
Flair: B ready, MK7, Imma hack you soon!!!
Current Project: See 'Flair'

Re: Attack of the Darkness (HIATUS)

Postby LGLMAKING » Fri May 10, 2019 9:00 am

PopYoshi wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 8:19 am
LGLMAKING wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 8:03 am
Hey PopYoshi.
You might wanna attach to layer some mushrooms to friendly floating invisible Kamikaze Koopas. For the mushroom level
I did once it to simulate the chasing lasers from the Othertoad boss I showed before :3
That was a pretty cool defense phase I must say. But now I know a lot more about the engines works
Collab leader of:
Image

I support
Image
Image

User avatar
PopYoshi
Boom Boom
Boom Boom
Posts: 1769
Joined: Sat Jun 07, 2014 12:48 pm
Current Project: Super Mario the Attack of Darkness

Re: Attack of the Darkness (HIATUS)

Postby PopYoshi » Fri May 10, 2019 9:19 am

LGLMAKING wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 9:00 am
PopYoshi wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 8:19 am
LGLMAKING wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 8:03 am
Hey PopYoshi.
You might wanna attach to layer some mushrooms to friendly floating invisible Kamikaze Koopas. For the mushroom level
I did once it to simulate the chasing lasers from the Othertoad boss I showed before :3
That was a pretty cool defense phase I must say. But now I know a lot more about the engines works
Hopefully the springboars are affected by attached layers
Image

Image

My project:

Image

User avatar
PopYoshi
Boom Boom
Boom Boom
Posts: 1769
Joined: Sat Jun 07, 2014 12:48 pm
Current Project: Super Mario the Attack of Darkness

Re: Attack of the Darkness (HIATUS)

Postby PopYoshi » Sat May 25, 2019 10:43 pm

Update:

Due to life getting harder in my country I opened commissions since I draw to get some money, in result I began to distance from SMBX and my project because I've been busy with that (even when I've just managed to sell 2 commissions)

Right now my PC was formatted and we installed Windows 7 of 32 bits, which will probably make my game run better (I had a 64 bits Windows 7)

Hopefully I'll return soon with this, and don't worry, I made a backup and I didn't edit anything until the PC was formatted so I didn't lost anything
Image

Image

My project:

Image

Westretroman
Nipper Plant
Nipper Plant
Posts: 703
Joined: Tue Mar 29, 2016 6:50 pm

Re: Attack of the Darkness (HIATUS)

Postby Westretroman » Sat May 25, 2019 11:01 pm

PopYoshi wrote:
Sat May 25, 2019 10:43 pm
Update:

Due to life getting harder in my country I opened commissions since I draw to get some money, in result I began to distance from SMBX and my project because I've been busy with that (even when I've just managed to sell 2 commissions)

Right now my PC was formatted and we installed Windows 7 of 32 bits, which will probably make my game run better (I had a 64 bits Windows 7)

Hopefully I'll return soon with this, and don't worry, I made a backup and I didn't edit anything until the PC was formatted so I didn't lost anything
Neat, about that Windows 7 (32 bit) it suffers from a few limitations (can't run 64x based programs, processes less than 64x, and etc.). Also it's good that you made a backup.

User avatar
PopYoshi
Boom Boom
Boom Boom
Posts: 1769
Joined: Sat Jun 07, 2014 12:48 pm
Current Project: Super Mario the Attack of Darkness

Re: Attack of the Darkness (HIATUS)

Postby PopYoshi » Sat May 25, 2019 11:16 pm

Westretroman wrote:
Sat May 25, 2019 11:01 pm
PopYoshi wrote:
Sat May 25, 2019 10:43 pm
Update:

Due to life getting harder in my country I opened commissions since I draw to get some money, in result I began to distance from SMBX and my project because I've been busy with that (even when I've just managed to sell 2 commissions)

Right now my PC was formatted and we installed Windows 7 of 32 bits, which will probably make my game run better (I had a 64 bits Windows 7)

Hopefully I'll return soon with this, and don't worry, I made a backup and I didn't edit anything until the PC was formatted so I didn't lost anything
Neat, about that Windows 7 (32 bit) it suffers from a few limitations (can't run 64x based programs, processes less than 64x, and etc.). Also it's good that you made a backup.
Still is better than having a PC that doesn't want to load anything or runs almost everything at turtle speed just because my PC has 2GB of RAM
At least the only program I use that is 32x based and 64x based is the one I use to draw

Added in 10 hours 39 minutes 10 seconds:
Oh well, due to a confusion I still have a 64x Windows
C'mon PC, keep running slow
Image

Image

My project:

Image

User avatar
Super Luigi!
Volcano Lotus
Volcano Lotus
Posts: 536
Joined: Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:48 pm
Flair: ???
Current Project: Super Luigi World.
Chat Username: SL

Re: Attack of the Darkness (HIATUS)

Postby Super Luigi! » Tue May 28, 2019 10:07 pm

Take your time, PopYoshi. Life is more important than SMBX, unless your life is SMBX. Nevertheless, I wish you the best with your drawings.
Projects I support:
Spoiler: show
Image ~Level Designer and Beta Tester.
Image
~Beta Tester.
Image ~Admirer.
Image ~Reviewer.
"Keep trying at something, even in failure because another attempt may be all you need."~SL

User avatar
Scroll
Boom Boom
Boom Boom
Posts: 1758
Joined: Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:28 pm
Flair: Dracuckeo
Current Project: Rosalina's Satellite (yet again)
Chat Username: Scroll#6292
Contact:

Re: Attack of the Darkness (HIATUS)

Postby Scroll » Wed May 29, 2019 7:52 pm

PopYoshi wrote:
Sun May 26, 2019 9:55 am
Oh well, due to a confusion I still have a 64x Windows
C'mon PC, keep running slow
Good luck anyways, I hope your PC performance doesn't affect the project again. Also why is still "(HIATUS)" in the topic name?
Super Luigi! wrote:unless your life is SMBX.
Lol

User avatar
PopYoshi
Boom Boom
Boom Boom
Posts: 1769
Joined: Sat Jun 07, 2014 12:48 pm
Current Project: Super Mario the Attack of Darkness

Re: Attack of the Darkness (HIATUS)

Postby PopYoshi » Thu May 30, 2019 6:26 pm

Maybe not, but it'll probably affect my future project me because I still can't play SMBX2

BTW, I'm finally making the new level again (... it's just the 1-2 but it's something)
And here's a screen to show some progress! I just finished the first section
Spoiler: show
Image
Be aware of those mangos
Image

Image

My project:

Image

User avatar
Scroll
Boom Boom
Boom Boom
Posts: 1758
Joined: Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:28 pm
Flair: Dracuckeo
Current Project: Rosalina's Satellite (yet again)
Chat Username: Scroll#6292
Contact:

Re: Attack of the Darkness (HIATUS)

Postby Scroll » Thu May 30, 2019 6:29 pm

PopYoshi wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 6:26 pm
Maybe not, but it'll probably affect my future project me because I still can't play SMBX2

BTW, I'm finally making the new level again (... it's just the 1-2 but it's something)
And here's a screen to show some progress! I just finished the first section
Spoiler: show
Image
Be aware of those mangos
Looks pretty decent so far. But I have a complain, the goombas and coins look like if they were a little inside of the slopes

User avatar
PopYoshi
Boom Boom
Boom Boom
Posts: 1769
Joined: Sat Jun 07, 2014 12:48 pm
Current Project: Super Mario the Attack of Darkness

Re: Attack of the Darkness (HIATUS)

Postby PopYoshi » Fri May 31, 2019 5:06 am

Scroll wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 6:29 pm
PopYoshi wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 6:26 pm
Maybe not, but it'll probably affect my future project me because I still can't play SMBX2

BTW, I'm finally making the new level again (... it's just the 1-2 but it's something)
And here's a screen to show some progress! I just finished the first section
Spoiler: show
Image
Be aware of those mangos
Looks pretty decent so far. But I have a complain, the goombas and coins look like if they were a little inside of the slopes
That's how diagonal slopes work
If I place them over the diagonal slopes in-game it'll look like they're falling for a moment
That's why you put them like that
Image

Image

My project:

Image

User avatar
PopYoshi
Boom Boom
Boom Boom
Posts: 1769
Joined: Sat Jun 07, 2014 12:48 pm
Current Project: Super Mario the Attack of Darkness

Re: Attack of the Darkness (HIATUS)

Postby PopYoshi » Sat Jun 01, 2019 7:44 pm

Pro tip before you start playing AOD:

- There's star shards in every level
- Some of them may be unlocked via secret paths, beating bosses and puzzles like always, but this episode will have a new mechanic called Pacifist Route:

Don't kill any enemy in the level and you may receive a reward (Note that it doesn't apply to every level)
Image

Image

My project:

Image


Return to “Projects”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests