Attack of the Darkness (HIATUS)

Share your work-in-progress SMBX episode or browse and support others'.
Forum rules
Before you make a topic/post, consider the following:
-Is there a topic for this already?
-Does your topic feature proof of progress, i.e., level/world screenshots, wiki page, playable demo.
-Is your post on-topic/appropriate?
-Are you posting in the right forum/following the forum rules?

Is there any hype?

HYPE!!!!!
39%
Hype!
49%
Medium hype
4%
Low hype
8%

Total votes: 76
Cedur
Blue Yoshi Egg
Blue Yoshi Egg
Flair: Save climate, cut fridays for whole-week future
Current Project: various playthroughs and tests

Re: Attack of the Darkness (HIATUS)

Postby Cedur » Thu May 09, 2019 6:52 am

PopYoshi wrote:Sorry if I sound rude but:

I'll add 50 gimmicks to my level, then I'll add the Benny Hill theme because it's super atheltic for the level and the whole blocks of the level will be the bouncing mushrooms

First you're going to jump from a mushroom to hit a goomba, then you have to climb while you shoot an explosive bird, after that you'll reach a zone with two bosses at the same time, you kill them, then a mushrooms falls and you have to take a motorcycle to jump over a great pit. After that you have to escape from a nuclear explosion and jump to an airplane but the airplane is filled with tons of Bowsers, you have to drive the plane while you shoot Bowser but the plane falls and you slide in a mushroom and fight another boss with a bullet cannon and PAM PAM PAM!

Done, it's the perfect level, now let me work!

Satire, right? If so I can fully relate.
size wrote:in fact you know you should look out to not make your levels too long

Supports: show

Still using the legacy editor? Get SMBX2 and PGE, it will improve your experience significantly. Here's why.

iphtechnologies wrote: NEO super mario world x is a really nice game. This Episode is 2,7 GB large at the moment.That`s crazy!
Please find similar post:
[ads]

If you're not smart enough to plan ahead, then DOOM ON YOU!

Eri7
Banned
Flair: Hard work pays off sooner or later
Current Project: SMNZ (38A) + SMNP1 (38A) + MKA(2.0) + TNV (2.0/38A) + TNVL (2.0/38A) + SMNP2 (2.0) + SMNR (2.0)
Chat Username: Eri7

Postby Eri7 » Thu May 09, 2019 7:15 am

Thanks waddle for the clarification, honestly there is so much more I can learn from you about level design and I appreciate when you correct me/critic me because then I can continue to learn more and more.
Popyoshi, look, I am really sorry if I sounded rude to you, I only wanted to help you. The episode you listed is old, your level design philosophy is based on the levels which were made years ago but thanks to Waddle, I now understand this is not necessarily a bad thing. He was indeed right, we need variety and I didn't want you to strictly follow the same rules I follow but I want you to take my perspective and reconsider which parts of it would be great to add to your perspective so you can improve and make even better levels. I am telling you again, all of these comments weren't meant to make you feel bad or insult your hard work, my intent was simply to help you through my knowledge and support you! I WANT you to succeed! I WANT you to be happy and have fun while designing your project and most importantly, I WANT you to finish this project and prove that even losing the files of it for what? 2 times, you are not going to give up and that you are going to make a wonderful project that can bring fun to a lot of people, there is a reason why I wanted to become a beta tester and it was to help you reach this goal and support you until the end Buddy, so please don't hate me and if you are willing to forgive me, this will make me very happy!

PopYoshi
Boom Boom
Boom Boom
Current Project: Super Mario the Attack of Darkness

Postby PopYoshi » Thu May 09, 2019 1:55 pm

I'm still upset but you are forgiven

Added in 2 hours 36 minutes 4 seconds:
Hopefully the 1-2 level won't be as long as the first level. If I can place my ideas in the level as I want the level won't be long

But the worlds are a different story: If you saw the main thread, Mushroom Center, Pharaon's Sand Paradise, Aquatic Dream (which is one of the most complex worlds since it's divided in islands), Hidden Woods, Dangerous Zone, Nebulous Reigns and Crystalline Snow are massive, having from 10 to 12 levels with exception of the last 3 worlds

Hopefully the number of levels in Nebulous Reigns and Dangerous Zone will be reduced if the ideas are well comprimed correctly so the quantity can change with time, but for the first 4 worlds it's already decided

My project:

Teemster2
Ripper II
Ripper II

Postby Teemster2 » Thu May 09, 2019 8:30 pm

I like projects with more levels because they last longer and playing 200-500 levels in my opinion is fun but they must have good quality for it to work and as enjl pointed out most people would get burnt out for whatever reason but for those who can pull it off more power to you.
I want to say thank you to God for every day he gives me on this planet and for the chance to be in a better place when I die.

PopYoshi
Boom Boom
Boom Boom

Postby PopYoshi » Thu May 09, 2019 8:33 pm

Teemster2 wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 8:30 pm
I like projects with more levels because they last longer and playing 200-500 levels in my opinion is fun but they must have good quality for it to work and as enjl pointed out most people would get burnt out for whatever reason but for those who can pull it off more power to you.
Uhhhh... it's fun but until a certain point. Hopefully the levels will be lesser in the future, due to the levels being a lot I'm trying my best to make them stand out

My project:

64searchman46
Pokey
Pokey
Flair: Flair
Current Project: Dimension X; GFX Pack
Chat Username: kborg

Postby 64searchman46 » Thu May 09, 2019 8:46 pm

Honestly, I find that longer episodes should have shorter levels. If you have any gimmicks you would like to use, then you could expand on them in later levels. Longer episodes usually don't work out, though.

But even then if you end up having trouble finishing your project, scaling down is never a bad idea, and then you could have a short episode with longer levels. Some of the best episodes are pretty short, and plenty of episodes are short.

Anyways, no matter how you take on this project, I'll continue to support it and you! If you ever need to downscale your project, don't feel sorry. Sometimes it's for the best, I myself know from my own personal experience.

Discord server: https://discord.gg/dMTvpva
Discord username: kborg#5607
Switch friend code: SW-0765-3487-6690
Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCnIJoT ... subscriber

I support:
Spoiler: show
ImageImage

PopYoshi
Boom Boom
Boom Boom

Postby PopYoshi » Thu May 09, 2019 8:56 pm

I think that for now the First world is the biggest one. Not only for the levels but also because it has some stuff that will serve as an introduction to what the episode will be which is the reason why it'll be the only world of the demo (you have to be happy that, at least the Pharaon's Sand Paradise won't have long levels, that applies too to Aquatic Dream)

My project:

LGLMAKING
Mega Mole
Mega Mole
Flair: B ready, MK7, Imma hack you soon!!!
Current Project: See 'Flair'

Postby LGLMAKING » Fri May 10, 2019 8:03 am

Hey PopYoshi.
You might wanna attach to layer some mushrooms to friendly floating invisible Kamikaze Koopas. For the mushroom level
Collab leader of:

I support

PopYoshi
Boom Boom
Boom Boom

Postby PopYoshi » Fri May 10, 2019 8:19 am

LGLMAKING wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 8:03 am
Hey PopYoshi.
You might wanna attach to layer some mushrooms to friendly floating invisible Kamikaze Koopas. For the mushroom level
I did once it to simulate the chasing lasers from the Othertoad boss I showed before :3

My project:

LGLMAKING
Mega Mole
Mega Mole
Flair: B ready, MK7, Imma hack you soon!!!
Current Project: See 'Flair'

Postby LGLMAKING » Fri May 10, 2019 9:00 am

PopYoshi wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 8:19 am
LGLMAKING wrote:
Hey PopYoshi.
I did once it to simulate the chasing lasers from the Othertoad boss I showed before :3
That was a pretty cool defense phase I must say. But now I know a lot more about the engines works
Collab leader of:

I support

PopYoshi
Boom Boom
Boom Boom

Postby PopYoshi » Fri May 10, 2019 9:19 am

LGLMAKING wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 9:00 am
PopYoshi wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 8:19 am
LGLMAKING wrote:
Hey PopYoshi.
That was a pretty cool defense phase I must say. But now I know a lot more about the engines works
Hopefully the springboars are affected by attached layers

My project:

PopYoshi
Boom Boom
Boom Boom

Postby PopYoshi » Sat May 25, 2019 10:43 pm

Update:

Due to life getting harder in my country I opened commissions since I draw to get some money, in result I began to distance from SMBX and my project because I've been busy with that (even when I've just managed to sell 2 commissions)

Right now my PC was formatted and we installed Windows 7 of 32 bits, which will probably make my game run better (I had a 64 bits Windows 7)

Hopefully I'll return soon with this, and don't worry, I made a backup and I didn't edit anything until the PC was formatted so I didn't lost anything

My project:

Westretroman
Nipper Plant
Nipper Plant

Postby Westretroman » Sat May 25, 2019 11:01 pm

PopYoshi wrote:
Sat May 25, 2019 10:43 pm
Update:

Due to life getting harder in my country I opened commissions since I draw to get some money, in result I began to distance from SMBX and my project because I've been busy with that (even when I've just managed to sell 2 commissions)

Right now my PC was formatted and we installed Windows 7 of 32 bits, which will probably make my game run better (I had a 64 bits Windows 7)

Hopefully I'll return soon with this, and don't worry, I made a backup and I didn't edit anything until the PC was formatted so I didn't lost anything
Neat, about that Windows 7 (32 bit) it suffers from a few limitations (can't run 64x based programs, processes less than 64x, and etc.). Also it's good that you made a backup.

PopYoshi
Boom Boom
Boom Boom

Postby PopYoshi » Sat May 25, 2019 11:16 pm

Westretroman wrote:
Sat May 25, 2019 11:01 pm
PopYoshi wrote:
Sat May 25, 2019 10:43 pm
Update:

Neat, about that Windows 7 (32 bit) it suffers from a few limitations (can't run 64x based programs, processes less than 64x, and etc.). Also it's good that you made a backup.
Still is better than having a PC that doesn't want to load anything or runs almost everything at turtle speed just because my PC has 2GB of RAM
At least the only program I use that is 32x based and 64x based is the one I use to draw

Added in 10 hours 39 minutes 10 seconds:
Oh well, due to a confusion I still have a 64x Windows
C'mon PC, keep running slow

My project:

Super Luigi!
Volcano Lotus
Volcano Lotus
Flair: ???
Current Project: Super Luigi World.
Chat Username: SL

Postby Super Luigi! » Tue May 28, 2019 10:07 pm

Take your time, PopYoshi. Life is more important than SMBX, unless your life is SMBX. Nevertheless, I wish you the best with your drawings.
Projects I support:
Image ~Level Designer and Beta Tester.
~Beta Tester.
Image ~Admirer.
Image ~Reviewer.
"Keep trying at something, even in failure because another attempt may be all you need."~SL

Scroll
Boom Boom
Boom Boom
Flair: Dracuckeo
Current Project: Rosalina's Satellite (yet again)
Chat Username: Scroll#6292

Postby Scroll » Wed May 29, 2019 7:52 pm

PopYoshi wrote:
Sun May 26, 2019 9:55 am
Oh well, due to a confusion I still have a 64x Windows
C'mon PC, keep running slow
Good luck anyways, I hope your PC performance doesn't affect the project again. Also why is still "(HIATUS)" in the topic name?
Super Luigi! wrote:unless your life is SMBX.
Lol

PopYoshi
Boom Boom
Boom Boom

Postby PopYoshi » Thu May 30, 2019 6:26 pm

Maybe not, but it'll probably affect my future project me because I still can't play SMBX2

BTW, I'm finally making the new level again (... it's just the 1-2 but it's something)
And here's a screen to show some progress! I just finished the first section
Be aware of those mangos

My project:

Scroll
Boom Boom
Boom Boom
Flair: Dracuckeo
Current Project: Rosalina's Satellite (yet again)
Chat Username: Scroll#6292

Postby Scroll » Thu May 30, 2019 6:29 pm

PopYoshi wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 6:26 pm
Maybe not, but it'll probably affect my future project me because I still can't play SMBX2

BTW, I'm finally making the new level again (... it's just the 1-2 but it's something)
Be aware of those mangos
Looks pretty decent so far. But I have a complain, the goombas and coins look like if they were a little inside of the slopes

PopYoshi
Boom Boom
Boom Boom

Postby PopYoshi » Fri May 31, 2019 5:06 am

Scroll wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 6:29 pm
PopYoshi wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 6:26 pm

Be aware of those mangos
Looks pretty decent so far. But I have a complain, the goombas and coins look like if they were a little inside of the slopes
That's how diagonal slopes work
If I place them over the diagonal slopes in-game it'll look like they're falling for a moment
That's why you put them like that

My project:

PopYoshi
Boom Boom
Boom Boom

Postby PopYoshi » Sat Jun 01, 2019 7:44 pm

Pro tip before you start playing AOD:

- There's star shards in every level
- Some of them may be unlocked via secret paths, beating bosses and puzzles like always, but this episode will have a new mechanic called Pacifist Route:

Don't kill any enemy in the level and you may receive a reward (Note that it doesn't apply to every level)

My project:

Return to “Projects”