The Return of The Shogun (Looking for a team!)

Share your work-in-progress SMBX episode or browse and support others'.
Forum rules
Before you make a topic/post, consider the following:
-Is there a topic for this already?
-Does your topic feature proof of progress, i.e., level/world screenshots, wiki page, playable demo.
-Is your post on-topic/appropriate?
-Are you posting in the right forum/following the forum rules?

World Map or Hub?

World Map
50%
Hub
50%

Total votes: 10
Maxjacinto2
Spiny
Spiny
Chat Username: Steeeeeeeeer_

The Return of The Shogun (Looking for a team!)

Postby Maxjacinto2 » Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:17 pm

Hello everybody, after returning to the SMBX Community, I've decided to create a project I've had been planning for quite some time now. This is being made in SMBX2 too, hoorah!

Logo: [Coming soon, not likely to even be created, but may come, eventually]

Story:

Thousands of years ago, before Bowser started to attack the Mushroom Kingdom, there was an ancient demon Shy Guy warrior known as The Shogun. His demon Shy Guy army and him ruled over the Mushroom Kingdom and the Subcon, but once the warrior and his army were defeated by a group of ancient knights, he was sealed away in a magical orb, known as the "Kamidogu", a magical crystal which contained the soul of the Shogun and his warriors, but now, Bowser destroyed the orb, thinking the Shogun would join him, but the Shogun quickly took power over Bowser's land, kidnapping him and taking control of his army, and invaded the Mushroom Kingdom with his bastly improved weapons. After destroying the most of the Kingdom, he kidnapped Mario and the Princess, but there was only one person who was away (at Yoshi's Island, to be more precise) while this happened, and without him knowing, Luigi now had to rescue everybody, and defeat the dreadful demon once and for all.

List of worlds:

W1: Pipin' Pipelands
W2: Dusty Dunes
W3: Shining Seaside
W4: Jade Jungle
W5: Shivering Snowland
W6: Mushroom Mountains
W7: Stormy Skies
W8: The Shogun's Land
WS: Zeitgeist Realm

Screenshots:
Spoiler: show
The Team:

Graphic Designers:
-Legend-tony980
-
Level Designers:
-Radiance
-
Beta Testers:
-The_Loaf_Lord
-
Lua Coders:
-
-
Last edited by Maxjacinto2 on Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:00 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Check out my upcoming episode: The Return of The Shogun

xDestroy
Ninji
Ninji
Current Project: Mario's Quest
Chat Username: Eric

Re: The Return of The Shogun

Postby xDestroy » Wed Dec 20, 2017 1:46 pm

Wow! This project looks ppomising, may i know where you got the wooden bridge on the 4th screenshot?
I believe in Jesus Christ as my lord and savior. If you do, please put this in your signature!
Best Quotes from SMBX: show
Nien wrote:oh wow someone posted a webcomic in the art board oh wow it's garbage who would've thought
Danny wrote:Here's some constructive criticism: What the hell.
Nien wrote:nice, now my eyes can bleed in high definition

Maxjacinto2
Spiny
Spiny

Postby Maxjacinto2 » Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:12 pm

Thanks a lot for saying so! I hope it gets to meet everyone's expectative. :) And the wooden tiles from the 4th screenshot are from Sednaiur's SMW Extended GFX Pack, I just recolored them with a SMB3 palette. :)

PixelPest
Edward
Edward
Flair: Tamer of Boom Booms
Current Project: Boom Boom Evolution
Chat Username: PixelPest

Postby PixelPest » Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:21 pm

Why are you using 38A for Teascript? It's awful. If you're looking to do anything with coding you should use SMBX2 as it has LunaLua, which is based off of the real language Lua, and is actually useful and not poorly-designed like Teascript

Maxjacinto2
Spiny
Spiny

Postby Maxjacinto2 » Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:04 am

The level editor of SMBX2 is quite hard to use for me, unless I'm using the completely wrong thing. I actually got to download it, but, let's say it really wasn't my cup of tea. While I still don't use heavy scripts on my episode, I am aware that LunaLua IS a much more stable coding language, but I'm going to give SMBX2 another go, thankfully I haven't done much progress on the levels, but, the thing that I also like of 38X (as of now) is that it has more power-ups and the addition of having many blocks in just one image. I don't really know if SMBX2 has a system like this, but when it comes to map-creating and level designing, to option to have multiple blocks and BGOs replacing just one image truly is a life saver.

Edit: Yeah, SMBX2 is much better, that, plus the amount of content that is going to be added is insane. SMBX2 all the way boyo.

xDestroy
Ninji
Ninji
Current Project: Mario's Quest
Chat Username: Eric

Postby xDestroy » Thu Dec 21, 2017 4:58 pm

wait a minute... I REMEMBER YOU!
What happend to quest of the sacred stars?
I believe in Jesus Christ as my lord and savior. If you do, please put this in your signature!
Best Quotes from SMBX: show
Nien wrote:oh wow someone posted a webcomic in the art board oh wow it's garbage who would've thought
Danny wrote:Here's some constructive criticism: What the hell.
Nien wrote:nice, now my eyes can bleed in high definition

MarioRPGExpert93
Bowser
Bowser
Flair: Save Me, Mr.Tako!!!! ^_^
Current Project: Saving up for a Windows 10 laptop irl! + Sega Mega Drive style sprites & graphics
Chat Username: Shin FireyPaperMario

Postby MarioRPGExpert93 » Thu Dec 21, 2017 7:08 pm

Interesting. A project based off Japanese culture. I better try it once it's finish! :)
Main Goals in Mario RPGs (04/11 goals accomplished): show
  • Complete Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga
  • Collect all 256 cards in Super Paper Mario
  • 100% Paper Mario 64
  • Complete Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars
  • Finish Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story in under 24 hours worth of playtime
  • Complete Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door, Deathless, and NO LIFE SHROOMS!
  • Play through Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door in a BP only run
Current amount of money till i get a new Windows 10 Laptop: $704.00
My DeviantArt
My Main YouTube (Warning: No SMBX content!)
My 2nd YouTube (Warning: No SMBX content!)
My Twitter (keep dreaming, I'll never tweet anything fan game related tweets!)
TSR/VG Resource/MFGG: PaperWilliam
I have Autism & ADHD. OG 90's kid who's born in late 93! 8-)
Stuff I 100% Support: show

Maxjacinto2
Spiny
Spiny

Postby Maxjacinto2 » Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:40 pm

xDestroy wrote:wait a minute... I REMEMBER YOU!
What happend to quest of the sacred stars?
I had my mind all over the place while coming up with ideas for "Quest of the Sacred Stars", when in the end, I realized it was just another typical episode of "Save the Princess, emerge victorious", so I decided to try something new, and in SMBX2 this time.
MarioRPGExpert93 wrote:Interesting. A project based off Japanese culture. I better try it once it's finish! :)
While only W8 will be based on Japanese culture, I'll try to have lots of diversity in each world, but then again, some themes I've already planned, so not every world will be based on an specific culture, but rather follow SMB-esque themes.

TheLoafLord
Nipper Plant
Nipper Plant
Flair: VERY GOOD AND COOL
Current Project: REBIRTH OF PROJECT
Chat Username: TheLoafLord

Postby TheLoafLord » Fri Dec 22, 2017 12:35 am

Looks very nice, I love the graphics, so bright and happy. Good work!
I am probably the most grammatical person on these forums.

HE'S BACK

You wouldn't believe how fast I became a Metroid fan. I guess you could say I Shineparked into the series.

A bunch of virtually pointless but cool quotes from popular culture:

The name's Saxton Hale, CEO of Mann Co, and the Mann who's gonna burn this place to the ground! - Saxton Hale

I DON'T WANT YOUR DAMN LEMONS, WHAT THE HELL AM I SUPPOSED TO DO WITH THESE?! - Cave Johnson

RROOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR - Shrek

Here is my stuff (Project, some graphic edits and recolours, ect.)

[/center]

Also, here is stuff I support!

[/center]

Maxjacinto2
Spiny
Spiny

Postby Maxjacinto2 » Fri Dec 22, 2017 10:31 am

The_Loaf_Lord wrote:Looks very nice, I love the graphics, so bright and happy. Good work!
Thanks a ton man! :D I am going to use a cartoony-esque type of aesthetic all the way through, even for the last world which is a demonic lava land, but I'll try my best to keep it lively and bright. :)

Eri7
Volcano Lotus
Volcano Lotus
Flair: Hard work pays off sooner or later
Current Project: Super Mario Nova Part 1(38A)
Chat Username: Eri7

Postby Eri7 » Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:03 am

I like how this project looks , the screenshots give me this "newer super mario bros wii" feeling and the aesthetics look very good , in the second screenshot i recommend you to make the color in the woods brighter so it fits more with the ropes and also in the last screenshot i recommend you to add a black outline to the snow bgo so it fits with the smw style that the level is going with.
Join the discord server about Nova Projects.

I support:

Maxjacinto2
Spiny
Spiny

Postby Maxjacinto2 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:37 pm

Thanks for the feedback my man, glad to know you like the project so far. :) And, I did take inspiration from the NSMB. series, so I'm very happy to know that it gives that feeling. :D And by the way, those are the screenshots I took back when I used 1.4.4, so, expect level rehauls very soon. Speaking of which, I'm looking for Graphic Designers, Level Designers, Beta Testers, and Lua Coders. Anybody who would like to participate in the project, send me a PM telling me the reason why you want to join, and if possible, other work you might've done in other projects!

Maxjacinto2
Spiny
Spiny

Re: The Return of The Shogun (Looking for a team!)

Postby Maxjacinto2 » Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:59 pm

!-UPDATE-!

Sorry for the double post guys, but I wanted to finally announce that develoment on 2.0 is going better than ever! Alongside this, I am releasing a few screenshots of some of the levels I am working on thus far, and I'll be releasing some screenshots of the levels Radiance is working on once they are done.

I also added a poll to see what would you guys prefer: a World Map or a HUB World. Personally speaking, I would much rather prefer a World Map, it would feel more natural and won't disrupt much of the gameplay, but, the options for world map making are quite limited unfortunately, and because of all the different graphics I would need, I honestly don't know if I'll be able to make it unfortunately, but, oh well.

Hope you guys like the screenshots, more to come soon! :D

The Dwarven Digger
Lakitu
Lakitu
Current Project: Currently unnamed

Postby The Dwarven Digger » Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:07 am

In my opinion, the choice is down to a couple of factors.
1) What best suits the theme of the episode?
2) Is it linear, or 'free roam'? In other words, can you play the levels in any order you like? If so, a hub level is essential. Otherwise, it doesn't matter, although I would pick a world map for a linear progression style episode. But that's just my personal choice.
3) Will it use a ridiculous amount of CGFX? If it's way too many to use in a world map and you can't (or don't want to) reduce the number used, the only option is to use a hub level.
Overall, I would suggest using a world map. But you're free to take other user's opinions into account, and maybe you feel a hub level would be more appropriate.
I support: show
Due to a problem with my laptop, all my projects and levels have been lost. But fear not, for new ones will be arriving! (and hopefully completed)
rockythechao wrote:Image

Maxjacinto2
Spiny
Spiny

Postby Maxjacinto2 » Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:29 am

1. Definitely a world map, I want to make it as natural as possible, because going to a HUB World just seems unnatural to me, besides, I had the idea of making an open-world map, kind of similar to the one in Breath of The Wild, of course not to the scale the game has, but, something similar in terms of design.
2. It's linear, yes.
3. Well, when it would greatly depend on what ideas get through and which ones stay unused, but so far, I can see myself using a big amount of CGFX (a similar amount to that seen in Mario Classic, if not a little more even)

I have always thought of making a World Map, since I prefer the many options for diversity when it comes to its design, while personally speaking, I feel like HUB Worlds are kind of..."stale". Just my personal opinion, however.

Return to “Projects”