SMBX: Around the World (CANADA DEMO)

Share your work-in-progress SMBX episode or browse and support others'.
Forum rules
Before you make a topic/post, consider the following:
-Is there a topic for this already?
-Does your topic feature proof of progress, i.e., level/world screenshots, wiki page, playable demo.
-Is your post on-topic/appropriate?
-Are you posting in the right forum/following the forum rules?

What videos should I put up for the episode?

Poll ended at Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:17 pm

Trailers
No votes
Gameplay Previews
100%

Total votes: 1
Snowy_Desert
Blooper
Blooper
Flair: The Icy Pharaoh
Current Project: Funky no CGFX episode.
Chat Username: This is a mystery.

Re: SMBX: Around the World (alternate-history-travel-around-Earth type SMBX episode)

Postby Snowy_Desert » Sun May 06, 2018 1:05 pm

(Deleted)
Last edited by Snowy_Desert on Mon Jul 23, 2018 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Signatures are boring, they doesn't do anything.

MegaCDFan235
Bit
Bit
Current Project: SMBX: Around the World (A Typical SMBX Episode is being put on hold)

Update 12: Not a Giant Update

Postby MegaCDFan235 » Mon May 14, 2018 6:57 pm

No intro text, just get onto it.
Hawaii: show
Image Image Image Image
New powerup?
Kinda. Let's move on.
Image Image Image
And next is the older level which initially hadn't been touched for months (or maybe even YEARS), which is now getting a bit of polish.
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Scotland: show
This section has been made flatter, to make it a bit more true-to-life. Also, SMW-style.
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Netherlands: show
This level no longer has a background of garbage, but has also been changed quite a bit.
Image Image Image Image
Also, more Classic Mode.
Classic Mode: show
Image Image Image
I kept the poll up for voting, and apparently, Yuri was the most popular option overall, with 5 votes to Ivan's 4, and to Roski's losing 3. Meanwhile, the other names had 0 votes, and so were disqualified. So, Yuri it is!
There's not really much else to show off right now. See you next update!
EDIT: This project now has a wiki page! It's not complete yet, but it's here!
SMBX Stuff: show

Image Image

CANCELLED:

MARIO 5: BETWEEN UNIVERSES NOTICE: show
Mario 5: Between Universes has been canceled, and certain sections of the levels that survived through screenshots will be reused in some levels in SMBX: Around the World and will also be getting sort of a remake in either one of the episodes I'm working on. I'm really sorry for any inconveniences this causes.

MegaCDFan235
Bit
Bit
Current Project: SMBX: Around the World (A Typical SMBX Episode is being put on hold)

England Gets Overhauled 13: Is This Unlucky?

Postby MegaCDFan235 » Tue May 22, 2018 2:05 pm

Greenland: show
Some things in projects have to change. These can be looks, sounds, or a whole part of the project completely changed. This can be in any project, whether it be coding, art, games, or an SMBX episode. Greenland in SMBX: Around the World is an example. Before, it has been littered with falling snow, and other stuff. However, now, Greenland has been changed in the sky, layers, and a new section. A picture is worth a thousand words, so here are the screenshots.
Image Image Image Image Image
England: show
England has had a bit of an overhaul since last time we saw a change. Some changes to make it more realistic are prime examples. Here they are.
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Brazil: show
The level has had a bit of an update, fixing a few unrealistic things and even having a bit of a change.
Image Image Image Image
Jamaica: show
Image Image Image

Image Image

CANCELLED:

Mario 5: Between Universes has been canceled, and certain sections of the levels that survived through screenshots will be reused in some levels in SMBX: Around the World and will also be getting sort of a remake in either one of the episodes I'm working on. I'm really sorry for any inconveniences this causes.

WildWEEGEE
Koopa Shell
Koopa Shell
Current Project: levels?
Location: If i told you I ride polar bears would you really need to ask?
Chat Username: WildWEEGEE

Re: SMBX: Around the World (alternate-history-travel-around-Earth type SMBX episode)

Postby WildWEEGEE » Fri Jun 01, 2018 9:58 am

levels are starting to look a bit bland tbh. no need to rush if that's what your doing
I believe in Nothing as my lord and savior. If you do, please put this in your signature.

I have absolutely no idea what my current project is... My interests always seem to shift
I support: show
ImageImage
I might not be as active anymore because of some personal issues so please understand that.

MegaCDFan235
Bit
Bit

I'm Going To Stop Numbering These Updates

Postby MegaCDFan235 » Fri Jun 01, 2018 11:13 am

WildWEEGEE wrote:
Fri Jun 01, 2018 9:58 am
levels are starting to look a bit bland tbh. no need to rush if that's what your doing
I'm not trying to rush, because I don't have a deadline. Why don't I have a deadline? Because I know this project is going to take very long, so I don't want to totally rush myself.
In the meantime, here's an update on Canada:
Spoiler: show
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
And yes, there are going to be references to other games in this episode. I'm considering when and where I should put references, and whether or not a whole world can just be a reference. I am also considering the basics of how the alternate timeline will work; I want it to kinda make sense. Perhaps the levels look a bit bland because I'm trying to make the levels feel realistic? There just aren't going to be many times where you could, for example, say "oh, this level doesn't feel like it's on Earth", because I want the levels to feel (for the most part) realistic. In fact, gimmicks are kind of a rare thing in this project, due to the number of gimmicks that would require me to design levels unrealistically. For example, switch blocks. Putting these in levels would make the levels suddenly oddly open-ended, despite the fact it takes place on Earth. Really, a lot of times you are basically never inside a huge area with lots to explore with, and these would defy certain level themes, such as city levels. Vine jumping is perhaps one of the only gimmicks here at this point, as it doesn't really require the levels to be designed differently. Time-travel is a gimmick that seems to be getting scrapped out of the main game, as it kinda just made the project take up more space. This is an issue I'm still running into, what with the incomplete game taking up almost a gigabyte, especially with test levels that only really exist to test certain concepts such as using ParalX to make parallax-scrolling backgrounds such as what is seen with the new screenshots of Canada above, and other tests like that. Even when removing the alternate-history stuff, it still takes up almost a gigabyte. Perhaps, screenshots are not what one needs, rather, one needs to test it themselves. Maybe, just maybe....there will be a demo soon. Yes, a demo. Now, I've tried to make many demos that didn't really work well due to the increasing advancements of the levels included, but now is the time where I get to work on the first publicly releasable demo. Stay tuned for this, and until then, this is all.

Image Image

CANCELLED:

PixelPest
Edward
Edward
Flair: Tamer of Boom Booms
Current Project: Boom Boom Evolution
Chat Username: PixelPest

Postby PixelPest » Fri Jun 01, 2018 3:45 pm

I'm interested as to what you're using as reference for Canada

HealthyMario
Ripper II
Ripper II

Postby HealthyMario » Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:02 am

Hm.. this seems pretty cool. I might think of taking a China level.

MegaCDFan235
Bit
Bit

It's The Demo and also More Information

Postby MegaCDFan235 » Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:52 pm

Welp, now's the demo time.
Here's the actual demo.
It's sort of small, as it's only a demo of a few Canada levels and that's all.
And more information:
When this project goes further into development, it's possible that only the main path and shortcuts that only skip worlds and don't have new ones will exist in the main download. Other worlds will have to be DLC. I am trying to consider whether or not to make all non-main path worlds separate DLC or to make them combined into one DLC. Another plan is a scaled-down version of the episode that, well, is a downsize meant for computers with low storage, or internet with low download times. This downsize will include GBA, SNES, NES, Genesis and Game Boy demakes of some of the levels, and some new levels might be created for the downsized version. And because of the large scale of the project, it's possible that even Classic Mode will have to be DLC. So those are the three plans for DLC, in addition to time travel DLC, and to recap on the episode-related content:
  • SMBX: Around the World main episode
  • Other Worlds DLC
  • Classic Mode DLC
  • Time Travel DLC
  • Around the World Downscale For Low Speed Caps

Image Image

CANCELLED:

Cidro
Blooper
Blooper

Re: It's The Demo and also More Information

Postby Cidro » Thu Jun 07, 2018 5:07 am

MegaCDFan235 wrote:
Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:52 pm
Welp, now's the demo time.
Here's the actual demo.
It's sort of small, as it's only a demo of a few Canada levels and that's all.
And more information:
When this project goes further into development, it's possible that only the main path and shortcuts that only skip worlds and don't have new ones will exist in the main download. Other worlds will have to be DLC. I am trying to consider whether or not to make all non-main path worlds separate DLC or to make them combined into one DLC. Another plan is a scaled-down version of the episode that, well, is a downsize meant for computers with low storage, or internet with low download times. This downsize will include GBA, SNES, NES, Genesis and Game Boy demakes of some of the levels, and some new levels might be created for the downsized version. And because of the large scale of the project, it's possible that even Classic Mode will have to be DLC. So those are the three plans for DLC, in addition to time travel DLC, and to recap on the episode-related content:
  • SMBX: Around the World main episode
  • Other Worlds DLC
  • Classic Mode DLC
  • Time Travel DLC
  • Around the World Downscale For Low Speed Caps
Interesting. I really like the concept of this episode. So, are the levels in this demo a rough idea of what's going to come or are they the actual levels for this episode? Because they're incredibly short, and I just want to get your opinion on it. I've also noticed that you heavily use the transition of tilesets to tilesets, and I don't really think that looks too pleasing to the eyes the way you do it. Maybe I could assist you with those kind of things if you would mind?
The ghost living the afterlife who makes human music.

Stuff that has gained my attention

MarioRPGExpert93
Bowser
Bowser
Flair: Save Me, Mr.Tako!!!! ^_^
Current Project: Saving up for a Windows 10 laptop irl! + Sega Mega Drive style sprites & graphics
Chat Username: Shin FireyPaperMario

Re: SMBX: Around the World (CANADA DEMO)

Postby MarioRPGExpert93 » Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:55 am

I wonder what custom level design you're gonna make for Texas?

And the Texas-theme levels better have the Alamo. That'll be impressive imo
Main Goals in Mario RPGs (04/11 goals accomplished): show
  • Complete Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga
  • Collect all 256 cards in Super Paper Mario
  • 100% Paper Mario 64
  • Complete Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars
  • Finish Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story in under 24 hours worth of playtime
  • Complete Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door, Deathless, and NO LIFE SHROOMS!
  • Play through Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door in a BP only run
Current amount of money till i get a new Windows 10 Laptop: $701.00
My DeviantArt
My Main YouTube (Warning: No SMBX content!)
My 2nd YouTube (Warning: No SMBX content!)
My Twitter (keep dreaming, I'll never tweet anything fan game related tweets!)
TSR/VG Resource/MFGG: PaperWilliam
I have Autism & ADHD. OG 90's kid who's born in late 93! 8-)
Stuff I 100% Support: show

MegaCDFan235
Bit
Bit

Re: It's The Demo and also More Information

Postby MegaCDFan235 » Thu Jun 07, 2018 5:04 pm

Cidro wrote:
Thu Jun 07, 2018 5:07 am
Interesting. I really like the concept of this episode. So, are the levels in this demo a rough idea of what's going to come or are they the actual levels for this episode? Because they're incredibly short, and I just want to get your opinion on it. I've also noticed that you heavily use the transition of tilesets to tilesets, and I don't really think that looks too pleasing to the eyes the way you do it. Maybe I could assist you with those kind of things if you would mind?
Most of the levels in the demo are going to be the actual levels for the episodes, but some of them (The ice cave level and the New York City level deserve a good mention) might be reworked once appropriate graphics are found for the levels, and the ice cave level is probably going to be rethemed sometime in the future. It's also the least worked on level since the project started, as it's very short, and doesn't have much to offer. Canada 2 also deserves a mention because I don't really know what the theme would be for the level. I'm thinking of two places in Canada to set it in: Alberta or British Columbia. Even then, in this timeline, southern B.C and northern Washington form Cascadia, essentially meaning the big cities in those two areas are in Cascadia. But at the same time, Cascadia is part of Canada, so there's that. If I set it in Cascadia, I'd have to choose to either represent either Vancouver or Seattle. So there's that big problem. Another problem is choosing how countries are represented, especially considering the factors as of typing (Lack of fitting graphics, and music that I choose might not fit with the graphics), however if all else fails just to get a graphic, I'm making them myself. As stated in the OP, Vietnam might get scrapped as a world at some point, because of the low amount of ideas for the world. The hub world in the demo is not the actual hub world for Canada, nor does it represent any hub world currently in the game. In fact, hub worlds seem a bit odd for an episode like this, but at the same time, I want the player to be able to feel like this episode is kinda innovative, which is one of the reasons as to why the level design is (mostly) realistic. Antarctica is already on it's way to the scrapyard, as there's no place that the continent could fit in the game, and generally feels different in tone. The biggest struggle, however, is the alternate timeline this game's Earth is set in. I am worried that some players (no one in specific, just a random player who decides to play this episode) might not understand the fact that this is an alternate timeline, and might rage over some facts like Alaska's independence and Canada's owning of most of our timeline's northern U.S. (To be clear, the areas Canada owns in the timeline aren't the WHOLE northern U.S, just the states furthest up north.)

Image Image

CANCELLED:

Cedur
Blue Yoshi Egg
Blue Yoshi Egg
Flair: Non mi avete fatto niente
Current Project: episode pages for the wiki

Postby Cedur » Fri Jun 08, 2018 6:07 am

late but signing up as betatester!

I believe in three 72 mm large, 690 g heavy iron balls as my lords and saviours.

It's not worth to use the legacy editor anymore these days. Get SMBX2 and PGE, it will improve your experience significantly. Here's why.

iphtechnologies wrote: NEO super mario world x is a really nice game. This Episode is 2,7 GB large at the moment.That`s crazy!
Please find similar post:
[ads]

If you're not smart enough to plan ahead, then DOOM ON YOU!

MegaCDFan235
Bit
Bit

Late Canada Day Update

Postby MegaCDFan235 » Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:52 pm

Hello again! Another update, a bit late for Canada Day, but that's okay!
The main attraction: show
Just a bit of redecorating.
Egypt: show
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
About the new enemy: show
What's that new enemy in the Egypt screenshots? Why, it's the Thriskooba!

This enemy is similar to a Goomba in appearance and behavior, however cannot be stomped on, and cannot be grabbed either. They cannot even be flamed!
Although a new enemy here, their first appearance in an interactive form was in the game Super Bruno World, where they acted more like Goombas. Here, they are slightly more distinct from Goombas, and have their own sort of behavior.
Alaska: show
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
You might have partially seen this update before if you got the opportunity to beta test Alaska, but this is for those who didn't beta test.

Image Image

CANCELLED:

MegaCDFan235
Bit
Bit

Another Day, Another Update, But Also More Info

Postby MegaCDFan235 » Mon Jul 23, 2018 12:15 am

No intro, let's get to it.
Jamaica: show
Uuuhhhh...o...kay? That's a theme changed mid-level.
Oh yeah, and the Picket Men have their own death effects now.
Scotland: show
NYC Slight Redo: show
This is a work-in-progress redo of the New York City level, which is now supposed to be set at night, but right now the foreground and object graphics have not been modified to match, due to the unfinished state. Yes, I am still working on this, and yes, this is a parallax-scrolling background.
More info: show
Right now, the Canada demo is the only demo of this project. But there might be another demo soon, and it might focus on Jamaica or Europe. I'm not sure which one I'd end up doing, but it's either of those two. Also, I was thinking about making a trailer for this episode that might reveal more information about the episode or the alternate history or whatever it'll end up being. I thought of focusing on the alternate history and main plotline for the trailer since those will be harder to explain in-game than in a trailer or something else. Maybe after the story trailer comes out there might be a gameplay trailer with some of the levels that as of now are unrevealed such as Peru, or even focus on special things like the downscale or Classic Mode.
Another new thing is this. It's a new support banner, but this one focuses on Picket Man. I'm not sure if I should make more of them like this that's 200x200 resolution which is enough to fit in your profile picture, but I made another one for now. Perhaps this is useful to show that this project isn't going to solely be based off of Mario and nothing else? I don't know. That is all for this update, and I'll see you again once the next demo comes out.
[EDIT: Forgot to mention, the buildings in Jamaica were made by foop2164 of SMWCentral.]

Image Image

CANCELLED:

Enjl
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg
Flair: -chan ^^

Postby Enjl » Mon Jul 23, 2018 4:44 am

Not a fan of the piranha plants in the ground. They're awkward to play around and have no telegraphing.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Muh favourite quotes:
TheKingOfBoos: enji I'm only scared of you cuz you're always right, and that's creepy
SnoruntPyro: if you don't like kirby you have no life
ToonQuill: do you have any hentai girl sfx
Pichu: "And Jesus said unto his apostles, 'ew so much clash 0/10'."
MNIE52: ohoho master king sitting in his golden chair! Dude, you think you're president? i will not leave, if i want - i'll leave.
MNIE52: i will not kill you, why you so rude. are you have nothing to do, boy?
Sanct: oh my god i made the perfect amount of stairs i am jesus christ.

Cedur
Blue Yoshi Egg
Blue Yoshi Egg
Flair: Non mi avete fatto niente
Current Project: episode pages for the wiki

Postby Cedur » Mon Jul 23, 2018 5:56 am

I was almost about to ask how this project is doing. Glad it's going fine!

I believe in three 72 mm large, 690 g heavy iron balls as my lords and saviours.

It's not worth to use the legacy editor anymore these days. Get SMBX2 and PGE, it will improve your experience significantly. Here's why.

iphtechnologies wrote: NEO super mario world x is a really nice game. This Episode is 2,7 GB large at the moment.That`s crazy!
Please find similar post:
[ads]

If you're not smart enough to plan ahead, then DOOM ON YOU!

Devan2002
Pokey
Pokey
Current Project: Legend of Zelda X
Chat Username: Devan2002

Postby Devan2002 » Thu Aug 30, 2018 6:43 pm

This really interests me.
It's kinda sad to see that there aren't many episodes based on Link being the main protagonist. Hopefully I can see more in the future, because LoZ was one of my favorite franchises. ;)

You can always give me ideas on my projects, so don't hold them in.

I am the nerd of video games. :ugeek:
What is my life: show
Supported Projects: show
ImageImage
I support these projects. :mrgreen:
Also, have an adorable image of Budew.
Legend of Zelda X: My project: show

MegaCDFan235
Bit
Bit

A Big Update that Changes Quite a Bit I'm Sure

Postby MegaCDFan235 » Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:57 pm

Since quite a while ago, I've decided to take the extra worlds out of the main folder and put them in a separate folder that contains two levels I'm not sure whether or not to include in the final game, and will include more levels that will be in the Extra Worlds DLC. Time travel stuff has also been moved into a different folder, and both of these are for organization. Of course, your standard "more levels and maybe more worlds" fare is still in this update, and here goes:
Vastly Improved Manitoba: show
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Oh....how do you get past this? Well, you destroy the rocks, which leads into...
Image Image Image Image
Australia: show
Israel: show
This is not the full level.
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Alaska: show
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
???: show
That's a very big wall...
...and a very polluted desert...
Also, Amiga style.
This is just a test level I created for each style that is or might be in the game. Not so sure how many levels in any of the campaigns (including the main game) will use this style, but some Greenland levels will use it for sure. There do not seem to be any Amiga-styled SMBX things, and I wanted to take the opportunity to make some. Of course, this style may not be very common in the full game, and maybe not used at all in the main game. But hey, it's something to appreciate.
From now on, outdated screenshots will be put in a separate spoiler called "Legacy", and newer screenshots will take their place. Don't worry, this only happens for when an update comes out involving a level or game element getting improved in some manner. This is to decrease the amount of scrolling to find specific screenshots of a level that may be interesting, and to decrease the amount of clutter on the page. GIFs will also have this change as well. Videos are a consideration for this project, although I'm not too sure how to go about doing them. A poll will be put up for if I should do only trailers, or also do gameplay previews for the episode. Don't worry, if the votes for both are around the same range, I will do both. I might do both even if one is more voted than the other. However, if there are an overwhelming amount of votes for one, then the other may be unconsidered/scrapped.
And for the first time, the alternate history featured in this episode is now available! It's still a work-in-progress, and there's more left undocumented than documented in public use for now. This episode follows the timeline, but is not an actual part of it, so the timeline can indeed work without the episode. In fact, I could have written the timeline without thinking about an episode to go with it!
But now that the alternate timeline is public (and went through many different revisions prior to it being revealed to the public, or even just prior to the alternate timeline existing on the site), I'm not actually so sure if a name like "SMBX: Around the World" would give off a sense that it is set in an alternate timeline. In fact, I might have to rename the project because the name is a bit too generic for the idea that I have for the project. I'm not so sure what to call it now, but definitely something that could actually give the sense that it is set in an alternate timeline. I already know that some of you will not like this decision, but it is in my decision to do this because it is my project.
I also don't exactly have an idea on when to set the episode. I know that the main game (and present of the time travel game) takes place some time after at least 1991, but that's all I really know about when the game happens. For sure, the Past will be in all sorts of times, and both Futures will be set at the same time. For every level.
One more thing: I am working on a spreadsheet for this project. The spreadsheet handles things like level ideas, world ideas, music that will be used in the project, level themes, and possibly even graphic styles. It is for organization and so that the ideas aren't cluttered all over the place or non-existent.
That is about it for this update, and until the Extra Worlds demo, farewell.
Enjl wrote: Not a fan of the piranha plants in the ground. They're awkward to play around and have no telegraphing.
I assume that you don't want me to put Piranha Plants on terrain, but given that this is a realistically designed episode, I'm not so sure where else to put them. I will reduce the amount of Piranha Plants coming out from the terrain if that helps, and put some Piranha Plants in vases if it makes sense for the location or level theme.

Image Image

CANCELLED:

MarioRPGExpert93
Bowser
Bowser
Flair: Save Me, Mr.Tako!!!! ^_^
Current Project: Saving up for a Windows 10 laptop irl! + Sega Mega Drive style sprites & graphics
Chat Username: Shin FireyPaperMario

Re: A Big Update that Changes Quite a Bit I'm Sure

Postby MarioRPGExpert93 » Sat Sep 22, 2018 4:17 pm

MegaCDFan235 wrote:
Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:57 pm
Also, Amiga style.
I APPROVED of the Amiga recolor of the SMW Mario design! Keep it up! :D
Main Goals in Mario RPGs (04/11 goals accomplished): show
  • Complete Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga
  • Collect all 256 cards in Super Paper Mario
  • 100% Paper Mario 64
  • Complete Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars
  • Finish Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story in under 24 hours worth of playtime
  • Complete Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door, Deathless, and NO LIFE SHROOMS!
  • Play through Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door in a BP only run
Current amount of money till i get a new Windows 10 Laptop: $701.00
My DeviantArt
My Main YouTube (Warning: No SMBX content!)
My 2nd YouTube (Warning: No SMBX content!)
My Twitter (keep dreaming, I'll never tweet anything fan game related tweets!)
TSR/VG Resource/MFGG: PaperWilliam
I have Autism & ADHD. OG 90's kid who's born in late 93! 8-)
Stuff I 100% Support: show

Return to “Projects”