SMBX: Around the World (CANADA DEMO)

Share your work-in-progress SMBX episode or browse and support others'.
Forum rules
Before you make a topic/post, consider the following:
-Is there a topic for this already?
-Does your topic feature proof of progress, i.e., level/world screenshots, wiki page, playable demo.
-Is your post on-topic/appropriate?
-Are you posting in the right forum/following the forum rules?

What videos should I put up for the episode?

Poll ended at Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:17 pm

Trailers
No votes
Gameplay Previews
100%

Total votes: 1
MegaCDFan235
Bit
Bit
Current Project: SMBX: Around the World (A Typical SMBX Episode is being put on hold)

Super Update World: Luigi's Update

Postby MegaCDFan235 » Fri Mar 30, 2018 4:35 pm

The last few updates mostly had Mario as the star of every screenshot and/or GIF or whatever, but this update? We're gonna put the focus on...
Luigi!
And let's start with the newest level in the game, which is meant for Hawaii.
Luigi in Hawaii: show
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
This level is themed after the beach levels in Pac-Man World.
Next, we're gonna see more screenshots of Ireland.
Ireland: show
Image Image
Luigi even now has his own sprites for the tinted Atlantic Ocean level!
Responses: show
WildWEEGEE wrote:Is it... Moscow?

also, that black hole in the middle of the logo annoys me so much.
The thing that's going to be revealed is the black hole. It is not actually a black hole; it is a silhouette of the new playable character. He (the new playable character is male) will be revealed on "Reveal Day". And yes, the pink dot on the map is supposed to be Moscow.
goSciu wrote:Is there someone for Polish translation? If not, count me in!
No-one's doing Polish translation as of now, but you can have the role if you want.
SMBX Stuff: show

Image Image

CANCELLED:

MARIO 5: BETWEEN UNIVERSES NOTICE: show
Mario 5: Between Universes has been canceled, and certain sections of the levels that survived through screenshots will be reused in some levels in SMBX: Around the World and will also be getting sort of a remake in either one of the episodes I'm working on. I'm really sorry for any inconveniences this causes.

WildWEEGEE
Koopa Shell
Koopa Shell
Current Project: levels?
Chat Username: WildWEEGEE

Re: SMBX: Around the World (alternate-history-travel-around-Earth type SMBX episode)

Postby WildWEEGEE » Fri Mar 30, 2018 5:30 pm

do you know how much progress you got so far?
I believe in Nothing as my lord and savior. If you do, please put this in your signature.

I have absolutely no idea what my current project is... My interests always seem to shift
I support: show
ImageImage
I might not be as active anymore because of some personal issues so please understand that.

MrPunchia
Nipper Plant
Nipper Plant
Flair: fast nut
Current Project: thinking of summ'
Chat Username: MrPun

Re: SMBX: Around the World (alternate-history-travel-around-Earth type SMBX episode)

Postby MrPunchia » Fri Mar 30, 2018 6:45 pm

If Greece gets added as a country, it would be interesting to see a level based off Greek mythology (you know, alongside modern Greece levels)

Vito_Studio
Rex
Rex
Current Project: Not gonna ruin the surprise
Chat Username: Vito

Postby Vito_Studio » Fri Mar 30, 2018 6:54 pm

MrPunchia wrote:If Greece gets added as a country, it would be interesting to see a level based off Greek mythology (you know, alongside modern Greece levels)
I think the same about Greece, it has so much you can do levels about. That would be a least intersting.
Hey check what I'm supporting:

My Ex-Project:

MegaCDFan235
Bit
Bit
Current Project: SMBX: Around the World (A Typical SMBX Episode is being put on hold)

An Actual Update On April Fools: It Happened

Postby MegaCDFan235 » Sun Apr 01, 2018 3:48 pm

Yes, this is a real update, and no, this is not a prank. Let's look at a few small things that have been changed/added to some levels so far.
Firstly, the Poland level set in space is getting restyled into a Mega Drive/SEGA Genesis form!
Have a look for yourself:
MEGA POLAND SPACE EXPLORATION: show
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
This is pretty much the only change to any level, so we'll just leave this update at that. See you on "Reveal Day"!
???: show
The urban legend returns....

Image Image

CANCELLED:

Mario 5: Between Universes has been canceled, and certain sections of the levels that survived through screenshots will be reused in some levels in SMBX: Around the World and will also be getting sort of a remake in either one of the episodes I'm working on. I'm really sorry for any inconveniences this causes.

KingBowser24
Swooper
Swooper
Flair: Master Procrastinator
Current Project: Tamara's Quest: Remastered Edition
Chat Username: EvilKingBowser

Postby KingBowser24 » Mon Apr 02, 2018 6:41 pm

This looks similar to a similar project I had a while back called Peach Through Time, where you play as Peach and travel throuhg periods like prehistoric, ancient, medieval, Wild West, and I think I even had a WW2 part in the works as well. Sadly, I scrapped that a long time ago though.

Looks very interesting though, it reminded me of that project i was making!

MegaCDFan235
Bit
Bit

Time-travel DLC?

Postby MegaCDFan235 » Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:27 pm

KingBowser24 wrote:This looks similar to a similar project I had a while back called Peach Through Time, where you play as Peach and travel throuhg periods like prehistoric, ancient, medieval, Wild West, and I think I even had a WW2 part in the works as well.
Now that you mention it, I did have some plans for time-travel. Not very much plans, but plans nonetheless.
Here's some screenshots from the second level of what would be the Soviet Union if this time travel was fully implemented into the episode:
USSR SCREENSHOTS: show
Image Image
After the current poll gets retired, I'll set up a poll asking users if they want to see time-travel as DLC or in the main game.
Also, I made a rough map detailing possible paths for the episode, and other stuff that may or may not be important:
LEGEND:
Purple paths represent paths that all characters can take, and also represents the main route. (i.e, Alaska to Bermuda)
Red paths are paths that only Mario can take. (i.e, Brazil straight to Peru without going to other levels)
Bright purple paths are alternate paths that any character can take. (i.e, go to Finland through Norway, which you go to from Denmark, which you go to from Scotland)
Green dots with black dots in them are "warp points", which warp to the next point of the Earth. (The one in Alaska is actually the pipe that Mario, Luigi and the third playable character take to get to Earth)
Pink paths are alternate paths that split off from alternate paths that any character can take. (i.e, go to Finland through Sweden, which you go to through Norway, which you go to through Denmark, which you go to through Scotland)
Only Luigi can take green paths. (i.e, go to Spain/Portugal through Egypt)
Grey paths are paths that Mario cannot take, but the two other playables can.
This is all the updates so far. See you next update! (April 20)

Image Image

CANCELLED:

MegaCDFan235
Bit
Bit

Minor Update

Postby MegaCDFan235 » Sat Apr 07, 2018 12:13 pm

Remember when I said the next update was on "Reveal Day"? Yeah, that would only be a major update.
Minor updates will still happen in between, and this is one of them.
The OP has been overhauled to make it a bit more readable, and the "Screenshots" spoiler has been separated into multiple spoilers ordered by continent. This is so that opening one screenshot spoiler doesn't overload the page with thousands of screenshots, and to reduce the amount of scrolling needed to get to a specific screenshot.
There is also a new GIFs spoiler, which replaces the separate spoilers of every one of the GIFs that was there before.
And there is also some new info, like:
Peach and Link are going to be blocked in the episode, as it requires a few spinjump challenges, and these two characters cannot complete said challenges.
SMB3 and SMW are the main styles of the episode, as it's really easy to make realistic levels with these styles.
The alternate paths mentioned in last update and how they might be used.
The confusion as to how you are going to access every level.
Also new is a separate "Claims List" that isn't part of the "Appliances" spoiler.
I'm going to tease the next major update with a screenshot, and a bit of other info.
Firstly, the new playable character is male, and is a shade of purple/pink. He is also not human, and did not come from the Mushroom Kingdom.
This is all I can reveal about the new playable character.
Nextly, and lastly, here's an update on that crate wall in a level of Hawaii.
Do you ever wonder what's behind it? I'll give you a hint, these crates might disappear if you meet a certain condition. Another hint, the pipe bypasses that section.
Find out on April 20!
korea?: show
Image Image Image Image
Tileset made by PROX.

Image Image

CANCELLED:

WildWEEGEE
Koopa Shell
Koopa Shell

Postby WildWEEGEE » Sat Apr 07, 2018 1:00 pm

Development of this is going really well! Do you have a guess for how many more levels need to be done?
Edit: is the claims list everything that wasn’t done Or just stuff you don’t plan on doing yourself yet?
I believe in Nothing as my lord and savior. If you do, please put this in your signature.

I have absolutely no idea what my current project is... My interests always seem to shift
ImageImage
I might not be as active anymore because of some personal issues so please understand that.

MegaCDFan235
Bit
Bit

Postby MegaCDFan235 » Sat Apr 07, 2018 2:37 pm

WildWEEGEE wrote:Development of this is going really well! Do you have a guess for how many more levels need to be done?
Edit: is the claims list everything that wasn’t done Or just stuff you don’t plan on doing yourself yet?
1. I'm not revealing how many levels each world will have aside from the fact that I originally intended Peru to only have two levels, but now I decided it'll have more.
2. Both.

Image Image

CANCELLED:

MegaCDFan235
Bit
Bit

More Info Regarding The Episode

Postby MegaCDFan235 » Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:11 pm

Time travel in SMBX: Around the World is, well, an interesting subject.
It's kinda in the game, but not really implemented.
You see, you can't access past versions of worlds normally yet, and future versions of worlds don't exist yet, so it's kinda not really in the game.
There will be a past version of Canada's city level but that's pretty much the only "similar time-period" variant of any world. There are only three worlds in the game with separate "similar time-period" and "different time-period" variants that really are meant to exist for them. I cannot show progress for any of these, due to the fact that this is early on in the time travel's development period and it might possibly be axed out of the game, but I just need your opinion. This is why the current poll is set up so that you can vote whether or not you want time-travel as DLC, in the main game, or just simply getting time-travel axed from the game.
More info about the episode in general include:
  • SMBX 1.3.0.X compatibility is an idea, and this episode STARTED on 1.3.0.1, so it's pretty likely to happen.
  • Right now, the episode is being designed for SMBX2 Beta 3, but once Beta 4 comes out, I'll move the project to that and I'm probably going to include quite a few of Beta 4's new features, possibly other features as well.
  • A "fourth character" is being considered, although it'll be difficult to work on 1.3.X compatibility then, as that fourth character needs to be able to spin-jump. Really.
  • Co-op play will not happen, but there might be a battle level pack included with the episode that includes battle levels based on all the countries you visit in SMBX: Around the World.
  • Once you beat the game, you might get something really special which isn't just a lame pointless room which you cannot get out of. It's something very special, something that is an exclusive to this episode. only. Find out when the episode releases!
  • A level (or two) set in the Pacific Ocean is likely to be in the game, although it's world status (read: whether or not it is a world) isn't clear yet.
This is all the information that will be revealed about the episode for now.
See you on April 20!

Image Image

CANCELLED:

WildWEEGEE
Koopa Shell
Koopa Shell

Postby WildWEEGEE » Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:22 pm

In SMBX2 there are these characters that can spin jump: wario and zelda. Zelda can do some sort of teleport up into the air to get a higher jump (Zelda mainly uses teleport abilitys) and wario gets coins from killing enemies to spend in shops (Devs might move shop function to an world map feature) and can charge at insane speeds when big. Also, wario has huge fireballs.

ImageImage

MegaCDFan235
Bit
Bit

Reveal Day is here!

Postby MegaCDFan235 » Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:47 pm

Alright, I know you've been waiting for this, but now is the time.
The third character will be revealed! Now, who is he?
Well, he's...
This guy!

Is this a joke?: show
No, this ain't a trick, it's a Bob-Omb that's playable! Well, not really a Bob-Omb though....but kinda-sorta.
You see, remember when I said last minor update that this episode's not canon to the main Mario series?
Well, he's the reason why. You see, in this episode's timeline of Earth and the Mushroom World, Bob-Ombs evolved from a different sort of invention from Earth that was made during the Cold War. These "original Bob-Ombs" are called "soznatelnybombit", or in Cyrillic letters, "сознательныйбомбить" roughly translating from Russian into "conscious bomb". These were then accidentally sent over to the Mushroom World, and evolved to speak their own languages, and eventually the term "Bob-Omb" was coined by Bowser, because he was tired of trying to call them something long, so he just made a short name for them, and rolled with it. This third playable character is from Russia, and at five years old he experienced trauma, which will be more elaborated on once the alternate timeline for this episode is fully released, and eventually became a traveler. The story will be rewritten to say that the third playable character was already in Alaska, he just simply met Mario and Luigi when they appeared. I know I'm really elaborating on the alternate history part of the episode, but I really want the people seeing this project to understand that this is entirely fiction, and it is also an alternate timeline, where different world events occured in the stead of others.
He even has his own graphics for the SMW-styled levels!
Now, let's see the updated versions of levels, and also some new stuff.
New stuff in Hawaii: show
Remember the blocked off area in one level of Hawaii that I said "would not be blocked off if you met a certain condition"? Well, here's that area while playing as the third playable character:
The blocks from before seem to be...gone.
Let's see the rest of that section now!
Image Image Image Image
Well, we got past that section. Let's see the rest of the level with Mario!
Wait, is that....Pac-Man? In Hawaii? What's he doing here? Let's just...move on, okay?
Pinky? Well...okay. I guess the level became Pac-Man World...let's move on from this level.
Well, it's just another little minor update for the sunset level, and-wait, is that the actual SMW Mario and not the beta version? Brilliant!
Image Image
Image Image
Jamaica: show
Image Image Image
Greenland: show
Finally, I'm working on a level for a world that won't be in the main path of the game! Here's the first level of Greenland:
Image Image
Poland: show
Image Image Image Image
There's also new logos and support banners for the episode, shown here:
Support banners (to use these, look in the OP): show
Remember the underwater industrial level from one of the previous updates and how it was labeled "korea?". Yeah. This level is in fact made for South Korea. It's main gimmick (gimmicks are actually pretty rare in this episode, especially for the fact that it is a realistically designed episode) is bubbles that can come out of pipes which let you swim inside them. These are all the updates for Reveal Day. See you next update!

???: show
Image Image Image Image Image
These people don't take care of their city very well.
EDIT: I honestly can't think of a name for the new character. I set up a poll so that you could vote for what you want his name to be.

Image Image

CANCELLED:

MegaCDFan235
Bit
Bit

Somewhat Minor but Somewhat Major Update

Postby MegaCDFan235 » Sun Apr 29, 2018 4:31 pm

Welcome to the new update. We don't have that much in store for this update, but there's still a few things to cover.
First, let's see how Jamaica has changed over the course of the last updates:
Jamaica: show
Woah....it's gone a bit flooded...
Image Image Image Image Image Image
Hey, wait....what? Yes, the stage background is going to change once you get to this section, which is a sort of jungle or forest section.
Image Image Image Image Image
Let's see a .gif of the dynamic stage background in action:
Next, let's elaborate a bit more on the "alternate history" part of this episode using these screenshots of a level in Canada:
New York City in Canada?: show
Image Image Image
Tileset by Pixelator of SMWCentral. Background by Gamma V, also from SMWCentral, but I used his background tiles to make something like the NYC skyline, and there is only one of the tall towers that is in Gamma V's background tiles, because that one is supposed to be the Empire State Building (or whatever it could be called considering this episode is an alternate history), and it kinda looks like the Empire State Building anyway, so I could just put only one in the background.
Yes, this is a level in Canada, and yes, this is an alternate history where New York City is in Canada. And let's elaborate on that a bit more with this .gif:
No LunaLUA coding was required to make anything that happens in the .gif.
Starting today, a slightly different poll will take the place of the old one, and this new one only has the three most popular name choices for the third character (Ivan, Roski and Yuri) and this new poll will allow you to vote which one of these three names you REALLY want for the third character.
This is all the information that will be revealed at this point. See you next update!

Image Image

CANCELLED:

Westretroman
Nipper Plant
Nipper Plant

Postby Westretroman » Sun Apr 29, 2018 4:40 pm

Nice, there is one issue with the world map, where the score effect for collecting coin/ killing enemy/ etc., still appears. Will this be fixed?

PixelPest
Link
Link
Flair: Tamer of Boom Booms
Current Project: Boom Boom Evolution
Chat Username: PixelPest

Postby PixelPest » Sun Apr 29, 2018 5:18 pm

I'd suggest updating the map with an image of Canada (and Greenland) that's a top (flat) view instead of a view on a globe that's curved about

Smibbix
Spiny
Spiny
Current Project: I can't tell you just yet, but let's just say it's pretty funkatronic...
Chat Username: Smibbix

Postby Smibbix » Sun Apr 29, 2018 6:26 pm

I really like the idea of this project. Was it inspired by Mario's Wacky Worlds by any chance?
cat planet cat planet cat planet!!!

I Support:
Spoiler: show

Haha, wrong forum.
Great Quotes:
Pop Yoshi Bros wrote: These used other people levels withouth their permission? I don't know if it's wrong if the big heads of the forums make it
Enjl wrote:
Sun Jul 15, 2018 8:27 am
The only palette people care about is the SMB3 palette.
smbx GaMERDoG wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:30 am
These tomatoes weren't debugged properly!
Horikawa Otane wrote: Image

MegaCDFan235
Bit
Bit

Update 11: Numbering is back?

Postby MegaCDFan235 » Sat May 05, 2018 9:27 pm

Alright, this update ain't big, but it's got some big things goin' on!
First let's see how New York City evolved from last update:
The Big Apple Returns: show
Image Image Image Image
Pretty drastic differences, aren't they?
Now let's see our good old friend: The Netherlands!
Dutch Garden: show
Image Image Image
Next, we'll see the new character's ability!
Yes, he does have a Lua-scripted ability, and it's this:
Well, he is technically a bomb anyway....
Also, Classic Mode.
This mode isn't going to take the normal mode's form, in that this is actually going to be based off of Mario 4: Space Odyssey AND Mario 3: Around the World. It's not fully complete yet, as you can tell by some blocks not being made like the bootlegs, and by lack of coins. It's also not going to be available in any language besides Russian, due to said bootlegs' origin of Russia. This is all the content in this update so far. See you in the next update!
[EDIT: Put up some more levels on the Claims List and also fixed something in the OP.]
Last edited by MegaCDFan235 on Sun May 06, 2018 8:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Image Image

CANCELLED:

Smibbix
Spiny
Spiny
Current Project: I can't tell you just yet, but let's just say it's pretty funkatronic...
Chat Username: Smibbix

Re: Update 11: Numbering is back?

Postby Smibbix » Sat May 05, 2018 11:44 pm

That new character's ability is really neat. Those Russian bootleg levels are gonna be great, I know it...
cat planet cat planet cat planet!!!

I Support:

Haha, wrong forum.
Great Quotes:
Pop Yoshi Bros wrote: These used other people levels withouth their permission? I don't know if it's wrong if the big heads of the forums make it
Enjl wrote:
Sun Jul 15, 2018 8:27 am
The only palette people care about is the SMB3 palette.
smbx GaMERDoG wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:30 am
These tomatoes weren't debugged properly!
Horikawa Otane wrote: Image

Westretroman
Nipper Plant
Nipper Plant

Postby Westretroman » Sat May 05, 2018 11:56 pm

Yay! New character ability and nice Russian bootleg levels.

Return to “Projects”