Quest for Doxoria (HELP NEEDED!)

Share your work-in-progress SMBX episode or browse and support others'.
Forum rules
Before you make a topic/post, consider the following:
-Is there a topic for this already?
-Does your topic feature proof of progress, i.e., level/world screenshots, wiki page, playable demo.
-Is your post on-topic/appropriate?
-Are you posting in the right forum/following the forum rules?
Shadow_Flame
Level Reviewer
Level Reviewer
Current Project: Quest for Doxoria

Quest for Doxoria (HELP NEEDED!)

Postby Shadow_Flame » Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:32 pm

Credit for logo: YoshiSuperstarNL

ROLL UP, ROLL UP!
Boys and gals, I need your help with this episode, hence why I want it to be a collab project :) Let me know in the comments below or by PM if you're interested in becoming a Script editor, Level designer, NPC designer or Beta tester for this project!

After the success of my previous episode "Reign of the Gatekeepers", I've been planning on releasing a collab sequel to it which I've named "Quest for Doxoria". At the moment, this project is still in its very early stages but here is what we know so far:

STORY
Spoiler: show
Mario wakes up and finds himself completely alone in the Mushroom Kingdom castle... Where is everyone?! It turns out all his allies are being held hostage by various baddies. To top it all, the future of the Kingdom is at stake as the cunning tyrant Dox, hidden in his distant lair, plots the destruction of our heroes and wreaks havoc, much to the dismay of the innocent local inhabitants suffering under his rule. Will Mario manage to save his friends, the whole Kingdom and face the mysterious Dox?...

WORLDS
There will be 7 worlds in total and a single world map from which you can access most worlds. Each world will have 7 main levels and a boss fight. At the end of each level you will get a star which means that each world has 8 stars. The first world won't be star locked but all the others will be.

There is currently an editable spreadsheet online which details each level's gimmicks, music track and outstanding tasks. Here's the link for those interested to have a closer look (please DO NOT make significant amendments to the spreadsheet before consulting me):

CUSTOM MUSIC: Check out some of my custom tracks for this project: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ssc0SA7 ... U2XgS6rDyX

PROGRESS
World 1 - Frakka Forest (12.5%)
• 1-1: Foliage Fun (100%)
• 1-2: Turtle Trouble
• 1-3: Victorloo Village
• 1-4: Ruin Rampage
• 1-5: Stagnant Swamp
• 1-6: In Darkest Night
• 1-7: Tribal Terrors
• 1-8: Boss #1 – Frakka

World 2 - Aquarica (0%)
• 2-1: Clifftop Coast
• 2-2: Bazoonu Beach
• 2-3: Dangerous Docks
• 2-4: Perilous Pirate Ships
• 2-5: Serene Swimming
• 2-6: In Too Deep
• 2-7: Wonderful Waterfalls
• 2-8: Boss #2 - Delmor

World 3 - Dozdo Desert (0%)
• 3-1: Cacti Countryside
• 3-2: Quicksand Quarrel
• 3-3: Windy Wasteland
• 3-4: Tremendous Temple
• 3-5: Drying Dunes
• 3-6: Illusory Itinerary
• 3-7: Rocky Rustroad
• 3-8: Boss #3 – V

World 4 - Desolate Lands (0%)
• 4-1: Venomous Valley
• 4-2: Curious Critters
• 4-3: Boiling Badlands
• 4-4: Fierce Fortress
• 4-5: Arduous Abyss
• 4-6: Ghoulish Graveyard
• 4-7: Mansion Madness
• 4-8: Boss #4 – Spectre Lord

World 5 - Icy Fjords (0%)
• 5-1: Icy Iron
• 5-2: Snowstorm Struggle
• 5-3: Wintry Waterbed
• 5-4: Chilly Cruiser
• 5-5: Melting Meadows
• 5-6: Diamond Dome
• 5-7: Mystic Maze
• 5-8: Boss #5 – Mraz

World 6 - Huko Highlands (0%)
• 6-1: Rainy Rift
• 6-2: Elevation Escalade
• 6-3: Breaking Barriers
• 6-4: Monk’s Mount
• 6-5: Cloudy Canyon
• 6-6: Wooden Warships
• 6-7: Bewildering Breeze
• 6-8: Boss #6 - Aropio

World 7 - Doxoria (0%)
• 7-1: Metropolis Melee
• 7-2: Shooting Shadowtanks
• 7-3: Windbound War
• 7-4: Enemy Express
• 7-5: Frenetic Factory
• 7-6: Bridge Battlefield
• 7-7: Citadel Charge
• 7-8: Final Boss – Dox

World map = 0%

TEAM
* Project developer & lead --> Shadow_Flame
* Level designers --> Shadow_Flame, 8luestorm, TawPawNaw, Eri7, gbradey231
* NPC designers --> YoshiSuperstarNL, PixelPest
* Beta testers --> Cedur, candle, sammerbro, TawPawNaw, Eri7

PLAYABLE CHARACTERS
Players will first start off only with Mario and as you defeat each world boss, you will regain some of your friends (Luigi, Peach, Toad, Link etc.)

SCREENSHOTS
ImageImageImage

LINK TO MY DISCORD SERVER:
Let me know what you think and hopefully we can get this off the ground together! :D
Last edited by Shadow_Flame on Sun Jun 09, 2019 12:44 pm, edited 34 times in total.

Gremonow
Bit
Bit
Current Project: Fight for the Kingdom - The Return of Mario
Chat Username: Gremonow

Re: Quest for Doxoria (collab!)

Postby Gremonow » Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:47 pm

Ooooh that's looks cool. I like those NSMBW shells and the sunlights what's under use in the "Return to Sarasaland" named project as well. I think that's only one level. Give me more screens soooon! :D

Cedur
Blue Yoshi Egg
Blue Yoshi Egg
Flair: Save climate, cut fridays for whole-week future
Current Project: various playthroughs and tests

Postby Cedur » Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:50 pm

Cool, will betatest again but only if you don't do it in 1.4 (and SMBX2 Beta4 is on the horizon so it will render many features of 1.4 redundant)

Supports: show

Still using the legacy editor? Get SMBX2 and PGE, it will improve your experience significantly. Here's why.

iphtechnologies wrote: NEO super mario world x is a really nice game. This Episode is 2,7 GB large at the moment.That`s crazy!
Please find similar post:
[ads]

If you're not smart enough to plan ahead, then DOOM ON YOU!

Shadow_Flame
Level Reviewer
Level Reviewer

Postby Shadow_Flame » Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:03 pm

Cedur wrote:Cool, will betatest again but only if you don't do it in 1.4.4 (and SMBX2 Beta4 is on the horizon so it will render many features of 1.4 redundant)
No worries, I am most certainly NOT doing it in SMBX 1.4.4 ;) And thanks for offering your help, would greatly appreciate it!

Do you know when SMBX2 beta 4 will come out?

Cedur
Blue Yoshi Egg
Blue Yoshi Egg
Flair: Save climate, cut fridays for whole-week future
Current Project: various playthroughs and tests

Postby Cedur » Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:12 pm

Its estimated release timeframe has been pushed back a few times, now it's expected for April - June, but I'm very confident it will come out within the next months. So, you can stay tuned for its extended possibilities as you may want to explore them for this project.

Supports: show

Still using the legacy editor? Get SMBX2 and PGE, it will improve your experience significantly. Here's why.

iphtechnologies wrote: NEO super mario world x is a really nice game. This Episode is 2,7 GB large at the moment.That`s crazy!
Please find similar post:
[ads]

If you're not smart enough to plan ahead, then DOOM ON YOU!

Shadow_Flame
Level Reviewer
Level Reviewer

Postby Shadow_Flame » Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:46 pm

Cedur wrote:Its estimated release timeframe has been pushed back a few times, now it's expected for April - June, but I'm very confident it will come out within the next months. So, you can stay tuned for its extended possibilities as you may want to explore them for this project.
Sounds promising, mate! Will be awaiting it ;)

Eri7
Banned
Flair: Hard work pays off sooner or later
Current Project: SMNZ (38A) + SMNP1 (38A) + MKA(2.0) + TNV (2.0/38A) + TNVL (2.0/38A) + SMNP2 (2.0) + SMNR (2.0)
Chat Username: Eri7

Postby Eri7 » Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:50 pm

Rip 38A , nobody loves you expect me... Anyways good luck on your project , i hope beta 4 can do for you what 38A could not.

Gremonow
Bit
Bit
Current Project: Fight for the Kingdom - The Return of Mario
Chat Username: Gremonow

Postby Gremonow » Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:57 pm

Eri7 wrote:Rip 38A , nobody loves you expect me... Anyways good luck on your project , i hope beta 4 can do for you what 38A could not.
I like it. I made a topic about my opinions (WHAT IS BECAME DELETED -_-). I really like the 1.4. it has awesome features like the new power ups, npcs etc. etc. I just doesn't like it because it works badly (but that's my computer's fault) and I can't use it as well as the 1.3.

TheNewGuy
Eerie
Eerie
Chat Username: TNG

Postby TheNewGuy » Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:00 am

Well I could beta test if you want to :)
Also,is this a sequel to your previous episode?
I support:

PixelPest
Link
Link
Flair: Tamer of Boom Booms
Current Project: Boom Boom Evolution
Chat Username: PixelPest

Postby PixelPest » Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:47 am

Gremonow wrote:
Eri7 wrote:Rip 38A , nobody loves you expect me... Anyways good luck on your project , i hope beta 4 can do for you what 38A could not.
I like it. I made a topic about my opinions (WHAT IS BECAME DELETED -_-). I really like the 1.4. it has awesome features like the new power ups, npcs etc. etc. I just doesn't like it because it works badly (but that's my computer's fault) and I can't use it as well as the 1.3.
Both of you please stay on-topic.

I'd be happy to help with some NPCs once this gets going and there's a little more progress.

Also, the one thing I'm a little worried about is how the difficulty curve is going to work out. Primarily, if you have six worlds that can be played in any order, really each of them should have the same difficulty curve. The problem then is that after you beat one world and move onto the next one it's suddenly easy again. If the difficulty is the same throughout all of the levels it can become boring and the last world would probably end up having quite the difficulty spike. Just something to be aware of

Eri7
Banned
Flair: Hard work pays off sooner or later
Current Project: SMNZ (38A) + SMNP1 (38A) + MKA(2.0) + TNV (2.0/38A) + TNVL (2.0/38A) + SMNP2 (2.0) + SMNR (2.0)
Chat Username: Eri7

Postby Eri7 » Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:25 pm

I did say I wish him good luck , now with more experience thanks to your first episode I expect your second project to be even more successful and judging by the screenshots this project has a potential to be amazing.

TheNewGuy
Eerie
Eerie

Postby TheNewGuy » Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:27 pm

Eri7 wrote:I did say I wish him good luck , now with more experience thanks to your first episode I expect your second project to be even more successful and judging by the screenshots this project has a potential to be amazing.
Those are old screens of a scrapped level from 1.4
And this is actually his 3rd project :)
I support:

Shadow_Flame
Level Reviewer
Level Reviewer

Postby Shadow_Flame » Fri Mar 16, 2018 2:05 pm

PixelPest wrote:I'd be happy to help with some NPCs once this gets going and there's a little more progress.

Also, the one thing I'm a little worried about is how the difficulty curve is going to work out. Primarily, if you have six worlds that can be played in any order, really each of them should have the same difficulty curve. The problem then is that after you beat one world and move onto the next one it's suddenly easy again. If the difficulty is the same throughout all of the levels it can become boring and the last world would probably end up having quite the difficulty spike. Just something to be aware of
Thanks for offering your help, PixelPest. I'll add your name to the team list if you don't mind.

I was thinking the same actually in terms of the difficulty and have decided that the hub area can be in the middle of the world map and from it you can access 2 worlds at the same time - for example, I will couple the forest and water ones as the easiest ones on one island and they will still be 2 separate worlds. Then I can make worlds 3 and 4 star-locked with 16 stars, worlds 5 and 6 with 32 stars and world 7 with 48 stars. Hope this doesn't sound too confusing... I'll try to sketch it out soon and can attach a picture so that it's clearer for people.

EDIT: see if this sketch makes sense
Last edited by Shadow_Flame on Fri Mar 16, 2018 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

8lue Storm
Lakitu
Lakitu
Flair: its pronounced bluestorm
Current Project: Many, MANY stuff
Chat Username: 8luestorm

Postby 8lue Storm » Fri Mar 16, 2018 2:08 pm

Shadow_Flame wrote:
PixelPest wrote:I'd be happy to help with some NPCs once this gets going and there's a little more progress.

Thanks for offering your help, PixelPest. I'll add your name to the team list if you don't mind.

I was thinking the same actually in terms of the difficulty and have decided that the hub area can be in the middle of the world map and from it you can access 2 worlds at the same time - for example, I will couple the forest and water ones as the easiest ones on one island and they will still be 2 separate worlds. Then I can make worlds 3 and 4 star-locked with 16 stars, worlds 5 and 6 with 32 stars and world 7 with 48 stars. Hope this doesn't sound too confusing... I'll try to sketch it out soon and can attach a picture so that it's clearer for people.
This is a clever use of star locks. Will every world have 8 levels (logically)?

i never performed a shelljump and it's sad I did a grand total of 4 shelljumps in my life!

Shadow_Flame
Level Reviewer
Level Reviewer

Postby Shadow_Flame » Fri Mar 16, 2018 2:25 pm

8lue Storm wrote:This is a clever use of star locks. Will every world have 8 levels (logically)?
Yep, you guessed correctly :) 7 main levels and 1 boss fight (similar to "Reign of the Gatekeepers"). By the way, I just updated the description with a sketch of the world map.

TheNewGuy
Eerie
Eerie

Postby TheNewGuy » Fri Mar 16, 2018 2:30 pm

Shadow_Flame wrote:
8lue Storm wrote:This is a clever use of star locks. Will every world have 8 levels (logically)?
Yep, you guessed correctly :) 7 main levels and 1 boss fight (similar to "Reign of the Gatekeepers"). By the way, I just updated the description with a sketch of the world map.
Wait if we unlock link first and then go to world 3 you need to make sure if it's beatable with link. Same with other worlds.
I support:

Shadow_Flame
Level Reviewer
Level Reviewer

Postby Shadow_Flame » Fri Mar 16, 2018 2:35 pm

TheNewGuy wrote:Wait if we unlock link first and then go to world 3 you need to make sure if it's beatable with link. Same with other worlds.
You can't unlock Link first as he'll be in World 4. However, let's say you decide to beat World 2 first and thus unlock Luigi before Toad. This means that I'll need to make sure that World 1 is beatable with Luigi. Hope this makes sense...

TheNewGuy
Eerie
Eerie

Postby TheNewGuy » Fri Mar 16, 2018 2:39 pm

Shadow_Flame wrote:
TheNewGuy wrote:Wait if we unlock link first and then go to world 3 you need to make sure if it's beatable with link. Same with other worlds.
You can't unlock Link first as he'll be in World 4. However, let's say you decide to beat World 2 first and thus unlock Luigi before Toad. This means that I'll need to make sure that World 1 is beatable with Luigi. Hope this makes sense...
But aren't world 3 and 4 unlocked with 16 stars?
Maybe you could add player blocks so the level doesn't get broken by certain characters.
Because the player can visit older levels after gaining new characters.
I support:

Shadow_Flame
Level Reviewer
Level Reviewer

Postby Shadow_Flame » Fri Mar 16, 2018 2:46 pm

TheNewGuy wrote:But aren't world 3 and 4 unlocked with 16 stars?
Maybe you could add player blocks so the level doesn't get broken by certain characters.
Because the player can visit older levels after gaining new characters.
The level won't get "broken". If anything, I could add bonuses in old levels that are only reachable by characters that you'll get later on.

WildWEEGEE
Koopa Shell
Koopa Shell
Current Project: things
Chat Username: WildWEEGEE

Postby WildWEEGEE » Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:34 pm

I've been looking everywhere for those GFX. Who made them?
I have absolutely no idea what my current project is... My interests always seem to shift
I support: show
ImageImage
Looking back at every one of my posts, I cringe, hard, very hard.

Return to “Projects”