Super Mario Bros: The Mushroom Revolt

Share your work-in-progress SMBX episode or browse and support others'.
Forum rules
Before you make a topic/post, consider the following:
-Is there a topic for this already?
-Does your topic feature proof of progress, i.e., level/world screenshots, wiki page, playable demo.
-Is your post on-topic/appropriate?
-Are you posting in the right forum/following the forum rules?
User avatar
Cloth pocket
Mega Mole
Mega Mole
Posts: 266
Joined: Mon Aug 04, 2014 2:42 pm
Current Project: Super Mario Bros: The Mushroom Revolt

Re: Super Mario Bros: The Mushroom Revolt

Postby Cloth pocket » Sun Sep 02, 2018 2:01 pm

As I haven't updated this for a while, I thought I might as well update the status of this project thus far.

I plan to release the second demo in a couple of weeks time, but it will be slightly different from the last, instead of going to world 3 at the end of world 2, you will go to world 5, this is because it is pretty much done and shows what late game will be like, the introduction and Block Land's Extension world will also be avaliable in the next demo. :)

Also various other changes have been made to old levels since the last demo, these include:
- Minor Graphical Updates
- New Worldmap
- Very minor changes to a few levels.

Also, heres some New Screenshots:
Spoiler: show
Image Image Image
These show levels from World 1H and World 3's castle.
This will also probably be the last demo I release before the whole episode, as I don't want to spoil the whole thing.

User avatar
PopYoshi
Boom Boom
Boom Boom
Posts: 1743
Joined: Sat Jun 07, 2014 12:48 pm
Current Project: Super Mario the Attack of Darkness

Re: Super Mario Bros: The Mushroom Revolt

Postby PopYoshi » Sun Sep 02, 2018 2:16 pm

Welp, what I can say, I loved how you used clouds to make some kind of border to the worlds, it's very creative, I loved that mushroom form zone

Right now I'm nervous because I don't know how many tiles you used to fill everything...
Image

Image

My project:

Image

User avatar
Cloth pocket
Mega Mole
Mega Mole
Posts: 266
Joined: Mon Aug 04, 2014 2:42 pm
Current Project: Super Mario Bros: The Mushroom Revolt

Re: Super Mario Bros: The Mushroom Revolt

Postby Cloth pocket » Sun Sep 02, 2018 5:22 pm

PopYoshi wrote:
Sun Sep 02, 2018 2:16 pm
Welp, what I can say, I loved how you used clouds to make some kind of border to the worlds, it's very creative, I loved that mushroom form zone

Right now I'm nervous because I don't know how many tiles you used to fill everything...
Thank you!
And I only put the extra cloud tiles in for the screenshot, there aren't actually that many in game. :)

User avatar
PopYoshi
Boom Boom
Boom Boom
Posts: 1743
Joined: Sat Jun 07, 2014 12:48 pm
Current Project: Super Mario the Attack of Darkness

Re: Super Mario Bros: The Mushroom Revolt

Postby PopYoshi » Sun Sep 02, 2018 5:36 pm

Oh, I see

BTW if you don't want these spaces in the shadows of the blocks to be visible like here Image

you can place the SMB3 end BGOs behind the sizables
Image

Image

My project:

Image

User avatar
AirShip
Ninji
Ninji
Posts: 881
Joined: Wed Jan 01, 2014 1:30 am
Flair: The Flying Ghost
Current Project: viewtopic.php?f=90&t=22332
Chat Username: AirSheep
Contact:

Re: Super Mario Bros: The Mushroom Revolt

Postby AirShip » Sun Sep 02, 2018 6:59 pm

PopYoshi wrote:
Sun Sep 02, 2018 5:36 pm
Oh, I see

BTW if you don't want these spaces in the shadows of the blocks to be visible like here Image

you can place the SMB3 end BGOs behind the sizables
These shadows don't look fit (IMO), it's make sense in SMB3 original, because the Background is static, differently in SMB3 of All-Stars (style of you episode).

Image


Image


User avatar
Cloth pocket
Mega Mole
Mega Mole
Posts: 266
Joined: Mon Aug 04, 2014 2:42 pm
Current Project: Super Mario Bros: The Mushroom Revolt

Re: Super Mario Bros: The Mushroom Revolt

Postby Cloth pocket » Mon Sep 03, 2018 7:01 am

AirShip wrote:
Sun Sep 02, 2018 6:59 pm
PopYoshi wrote:
Sun Sep 02, 2018 5:36 pm
Oh, I see

BTW if you don't want these spaces in the shadows of the blocks to be visible like here Image

you can place the SMB3 end BGOs behind the sizables
These shadows don't look fit (IMO), it's make sense in SMB3 original, because the Background is static, differently in SMB3 of All-Stars (style of you episode).
I agree, they do look a bit out of place, so I've changed them to look more like what they did in the All-Stars version.

Gab Trucker
Goomba
Goomba
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Sep 20, 2016 11:24 am
Chat Username: Gab Trucker
Contact:

Re: Super Mario Bros: The Mushroom Revolt

Postby Gab Trucker » Mon Sep 03, 2018 5:40 pm

hello is possible to create level is Airship and tanks on your episode and here is somme good music
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eLYWHiuRFQQ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sk_9nzR6sWE https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1pg9qHCEvs

User avatar
Cloth pocket
Mega Mole
Mega Mole
Posts: 266
Joined: Mon Aug 04, 2014 2:42 pm
Current Project: Super Mario Bros: The Mushroom Revolt

Re: Super Mario Bros: The Mushroom Revolt

Postby Cloth pocket » Tue Sep 04, 2018 3:50 am

Gab Trucker wrote:
Mon Sep 03, 2018 5:40 pm
hello is possible to create level is Airship and tanks on your episode and here is somme good music
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eLYWHiuRFQQ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sk_9nzR6sWE https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1pg9qHCEvs
There will be airship and tank levels, some of them have already been started in fact. Also, thanks for the music suggestion, but all of the music in this epsiode will be from SMB3 All-Stars.

User avatar
Mr Boboo
Mega Mole
Mega Mole
Posts: 264
Joined: Sat Jan 04, 2014 8:43 am
Flair: The Wicked Pissah
Current Project: Super Mario & the Journey to Everlast
Chat Username: Roberto

Re: Super Mario Bros: The Mushroom Revolt

Postby Mr Boboo » Tue Sep 04, 2018 9:51 am

The new screenshots look dope. I played the first demo and really liked it, the new content is really promising too!
I shall return with a new episode...... soon.

Check out my Mega Man Maker levels!
Breakneck Quarry: ID 189213
Flash Freeze: Coming soon

I support:

Image
Image
Image

User avatar
DrMekar
Ripper II
Ripper II
Posts: 306
Joined: Sat Apr 08, 2017 7:16 am
Flair: CUSTOM CHARACTER CREATOR
Current Project: Mario Hereos 2: The Seal of Darkness, SMBXDM The Lost Levels 2, Path of Silence
Chat Username: DrMekar
Contact:

Re: Super Mario Bros: The Mushroom Revolt

Postby DrMekar » Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:29 pm

The Mushroom Kingdom is invaded by a species of Poison Mushroom Toads, who take over everything, from Peach's to Bowser's castle.
Yeah, finally a Episode with a real story :)

This really looks pretty good. I will defenitly keep an eye on it.
If you need help with Character and Story Stuff, tell me ;)
My Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-8fzX ... subscriber

Current Project: Mario Heroes 2: The Seal of Darkness
posting.php?mode=edit&f=90&t=23148&p=339823#previewImage

Last Project: Mario Heroes: The First Chapter

Great Folks who support/ed my projects/in the past:

Suecra
jaf
Suckerman7 HM

User avatar
Eri7
Banned
Posts: 1654
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2017 4:48 pm
Flair: Hard work pays off sooner or later
Current Project: SMNZ (38A) + SMNP1 (38A) + MKA(2.0) + TNV (2.0/38A) + TNVL (2.0/38A) + SMNP2 (2.0) + SMNR (2.0)
Chat Username: Eri7
Contact:

Re: Super Mario Bros: The Mushroom Revolt

Postby Eri7 » Tue Oct 23, 2018 2:45 pm

WOW, how haven't i discovered your project up until now?! It's amazing, you really are nailing the smb3 aesthetics and there is a demo?! Oh boy i am excited to check out the demo, the world map looks amazing, just pure perfection and i am already excited for this project and i hope the development of it goes smoothly. Good job, you deserve a cookie (SMB3 styled cookie)!
Image
Image
Image
Image

User avatar
Cloth pocket
Mega Mole
Mega Mole
Posts: 266
Joined: Mon Aug 04, 2014 2:42 pm
Current Project: Super Mario Bros: The Mushroom Revolt

Re: Super Mario Bros: The Mushroom Revolt

Postby Cloth pocket » Fri Jan 04, 2019 5:10 am

Demo 2 is finished!

Firstly, sorry for my inactivity recently, I've had a lot of school work.
Secondly, I have finally finished the second demo for this project, and it is now avaliable for download. :)

A few things to note about this demo:
-It will be the last demo released for this project, as it has quite a few levels.
-I decided to include world 5 instead of 3, as it more complete and better shows the progression of the episode.
-World 1's extension world is avaliable through world 2's secret exit.
-As always, if you have any feedback, feel free to tell me.

Also, here's a screenshot of world 3:
Spoiler: show
Image
Download for demo 2: https://www.dropbox.com/s/hod53hv585pav ... 2.zip?dl=0

User avatar
Eri7
Banned
Posts: 1654
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2017 4:48 pm
Flair: Hard work pays off sooner or later
Current Project: SMNZ (38A) + SMNP1 (38A) + MKA(2.0) + TNV (2.0/38A) + TNVL (2.0/38A) + SMNP2 (2.0) + SMNR (2.0)
Chat Username: Eri7
Contact:

Re: Super Mario Bros: The Mushroom Revolt

Postby Eri7 » Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:04 pm

Oh i forgot to check out the first demo but now after the second demo is released, i will be checking this one out.
Image
Image
Image
Image

User avatar
Eri7
Banned
Posts: 1654
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2017 4:48 pm
Flair: Hard work pays off sooner or later
Current Project: SMNZ (38A) + SMNP1 (38A) + MKA(2.0) + TNV (2.0/38A) + TNVL (2.0/38A) + SMNP2 (2.0) + SMNR (2.0)
Chat Username: Eri7
Contact:

Re: Super Mario Bros: The Mushroom Revolt

Postby Eri7 » Sun Jan 06, 2019 5:46 pm

Alright i played the demo and i will give a short review of it.
Perspective of a smb3 styled episode:
The Demo captures what made smb3, well smb3. It feels like playing a smb3 game and aesthetics are visually appealing.
Most of the levels don't really do much but are short and fun to play which makes up for it.
I like the world map and the bosses after Boom Boom which are creative.
Perspective of a game:
Most of the levels don't have a distinct gimmick, and even if they do, their execution is rather mediocre at best.
Designing levels around enemies might not be bad but because you only explored one interaction, these levels feel uninteresting as they have nothing new/interesting to give to the playing experience.
There isn't any story in the demo, i was expecting at least a brief introduction to at least know what our goal is in the end.
Levels were short which actually benefited levels which were repetitive as there wasn't the need of doing the same thing over and over again for 5 straight minutes but the few levels which did end up being well designed actually suffered from this.
Bosses could be better, especially the first boss but i like what you have done so far.
Anyways, i would play this episode if i have spare time and i just want to play something mario related but if i wanted to play a game which can engage me into its gameplay(and story) then i would rather play something else.
That's from me, i am interested at seeing other reviews.
Image
Image
Image
Image

User avatar
Cloth pocket
Mega Mole
Mega Mole
Posts: 266
Joined: Mon Aug 04, 2014 2:42 pm
Current Project: Super Mario Bros: The Mushroom Revolt

Re: Super Mario Bros: The Mushroom Revolt

Postby Cloth pocket » Mon Jan 07, 2019 1:25 am

Eri7 wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 5:46 pm
Alright i played the demo and i will give a short review of it.
Perspective of a smb3 styled episode:
The Demo captures what made smb3, well smb3. It feels like playing a smb3 game and aesthetics are visually appealing.
Most of the levels don't really do much but are short and fun to play which makes up for it.
I like the world map and the bosses after Boom Boom which are creative.
Perspective of a game:
Most of the levels don't have a distinct gimmick, and even if they do, their execution is rather mediocre at best.
Designing levels around enemies might not be bad but because you only explored one interaction, these levels feel uninteresting as they have nothing new/interesting to give to the playing experience.
There isn't any story in the demo, i was expecting at least a brief introduction to at least know what our goal is in the end.
Levels were short which actually benefited levels which were repetitive as there wasn't the need of doing the same thing over and over again for 5 straight minutes but the few levels which did end up being well designed actually suffered from this.
Bosses could be better, especially the first boss but i like what you have done so far.
Anyways, i would play this episode if i have spare time and i just want to play something mario related but if i wanted to play a game which can engage me into its gameplay(and story) then i would rather play something else.
That's from me, i am interested at seeing other reviews.
Thank you for doing this, it's always useful to get feedback. :)
I agree with the points you made, and I think it would be beneficial if I went through the levels and added some more interesting stuff to make them unique, (also I haven't uploaded the story stages yet because I'n not happy with the writing, but technically, they're done).
Anyway, thank you!

User avatar
MegaDood
Kamikaze Koopa
Kamikaze Koopa
Posts: 1316
Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2017 2:43 am
Current Project: Super Mario Bros. Twisted Realities
Chat Username: Mega

Re: Super Mario Bros: The Mushroom Revolt

Postby MegaDood » Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:04 pm

For a first project, this looks really nice. Heck, not even for a first project, this just looks really good in general. Great job! I'd like to help if I could, but I don't have 2.0, and I don't know if they'd work in 1.3.0.1...
My Project:
Image
I don't really have a signature but here's what I support:

Image
Image
Image

User avatar
Cloth pocket
Mega Mole
Mega Mole
Posts: 266
Joined: Mon Aug 04, 2014 2:42 pm
Current Project: Super Mario Bros: The Mushroom Revolt

Re: Super Mario Bros: The Mushroom Revolt

Postby Cloth pocket » Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:13 am

MegaDood wrote:
Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:05 pm
For a first project, this looks really nice. Heck, not even for a first project, this just looks really good in general. Great job! I'd like to help if I could, but I don't have 2.0, and I don't know if they'd work in 1.3.0.1...
This project isn't compatible with 1.3 I'm afraid, so you'd have to get 2.0, but thanks anyway! :)

User avatar
PixelPest
Link
Link
Posts: 7129
Joined: Sun Jul 12, 2015 5:38 pm
Flair: Tamer of Boom Booms
Current Project: Boom Boom Evolution
Chat Username: PixelPest
Contact:

Re: Super Mario Bros: The Mushroom Revolt

Postby PixelPest » Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:20 am

MegaDood wrote:
Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:05 pm
For a first project, this looks really nice. Heck, not even for a first project, this just looks really good in general. Great job! I'd like to help if I could, but I don't have 2.0, and I don't know if they'd work in 1.3.0.1...
You're going to find a lot of newer content worth playing uses SMBX2 as most people are migrating to it, so it'd be worth downloading it since 1.3 is also really outdated (and it especially shows in the editor)


Return to “Projects”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 12 guests