Super Mario World: Moonlight (Alpha Release)

Share your work-in-progress SMBX episode or browse and support others'.
Forum rules
Before you make a topic/post, consider the following:
-Is there a topic for this already?
-Does your topic feature proof of progress, i.e., level/world screenshots, wiki page, playable demo.
-Is your post on-topic/appropriate?
-Are you posting in the right forum/following the forum rules?
P0le
Goomba
Goomba
Current Project: Super Mario World: Moonlight
Chat Username: P0le

Super Mario World: Moonlight (Alpha Release)

Postby P0le » Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:36 am

Oh no!

Bowser comes back to Yoshi's Island, to steal ancient stars, that kept harmony of day and night. Now that the stars are gone, night never ends! Play as Mario or/and Luigi, to return the stars, and bring back the harmony of day and night. Can you help Yoshi's Island?

Now that the alpha version of episode is released, yes you can!

Download it here: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1_iklE ... Du3ErxKAZH

Have fun,
Team Moonlight:
  • P0le
  • Luigi
  • Rickinho3
  • Flying_Kirby
Oh, before you go, have a look at some screenshots:

Itsa me, P0le!

55jedat555
Fighter Fly
Fighter Fly
Current Project: it's some kaizo thing
Chat Username: 55jedat555

Re: Super Mario World: Moonlight (Alpha Release)

Postby 55jedat555 » Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:33 pm

Alright, I played through your episode, and there are a few things I would like to point out.

Firstly, in the hub, there is a level entrance that can only be accessed after hitting an invisible block which contains a vine for you to climb up. I highly recommend you avoid hiding stuff that you're supposed to beat in order to progress, because it's very confusing for the player (for instance, I couldn't find it, so in the end I just looked in the editor). An easy solution to this is either making the ?-block with the vine visible or moving the level entrance lower, so it actually enters the player's field of vision. What also confused me for a bit were the random talking NPCs, although I don't see that as a major issue.

The levels were on the short side (with the exception of Veggie Forest and Darkside Desert, which were slightly longer), but they presented a neat idea of a star hunt, with various NPCs giving you hints on where to find them. The first two levels felt a bit plain and empty, adding a few ?-blocks, bricks, coins and power-ups would be a good idea. The ghost house could be executed a bit better, as the whole 'Run from the Eeries!' gimmick can be completely ignored if the player avoids the axe. The existence of the Hammer Suit in the first level makes the Big Boo fight easy as pie, while if you don't have the aforementioned Hammer Suit it's ridiculously hard, since you'll have to lure the Boos out of the way while being shot at from both sides. Removing either the Boos or the Bill Blasters would make this fight a lot more appealing. I don't have much to comment about Veggie Forest, the level works out nicely, both aesthetically and gameplay-wisely. The last two levels were a bit of a let down. Darkside Desert felt all over the place, without a consistent gimmick or theme. The sprites in the first section are weirdly coloured and the quicksand is inconsistently placed. Sometimes there's no quicksand on the spots where the BGOs are, while sometimes it is. But even when it is, it only goes one tile deep from the surface, which essentially means that you'll drop through and die, should you stay in it for too long. The cave section, again, just threw random obstacles at the player, from subcon enemies to a water section to a dodge-the-bullets linerider. And to top it all off, there's a generic Boom-Boom fight at the end, which, again, feels like it has nothing to do with the rest of the level. Also, one of the stars is placed on top of a high bonus-themed room that first makes you fall down to the bottom, and then climb back up by jumping on blocks with nothing threatening you other than falling asleep because there's not much going on. But hey, at least you get a Hammer Suit for doing that. Koopa Castle could use a complete rework in my opinion. As it is now, it's just a flat corridor filled with enemies and occasional lava pools, then there's a 10 second skull raft ride and you're at Bowser. Blast him with hammers and you win. Also, careful when placing exit stars, since the player can still die after grabbing the one at the end of Koopa Castle and the one in the cloud section of Mushroom Paradise. You might consider putting a few walls in to prevent that from happening.

Overall, it's a very short episode, beatable in under 20 minutes even for a first time player, but I think that in this case that's an advantage, because you'll be able to focus more on individual levels and perfect each one of them. I believe that it can turn out as a neat little episode. If you have any questions, feel free to ask.
My YouTube channel: jedat555
Check out my levels!
"Don't trust your eyes, trust mine."
I support:
Spoiler: show

goSciu
Fighter Fly
Fighter Fly
Flair: GIMP Master
Current Project: Not revealed yet project
Chat Username: goSciu

Re: Super Mario World: Moonlight (Alpha Release)

Postby goSciu » Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:38 pm

So yeah. Finished playing demo. My thoughts so far are:
  • Woah, this game is good. I like the mixture of linear levels with "open-world" missions/stars. One star at the end and two to find throughout the level. And their placing...
  • There is a variety of different tasks to get those stars. One time it's collecting coins, other finding a secret, other using a power-up to get somewhere. Really creative. But,...
  • There are some stars (and one level) that require you to find hidden ? Block with vines. It's irritating to search for especially if you have no idea at all where could they be. It took me a while to find that vine to Ghost House. Speaking of levels...
  • Unlocking a new level requires you to collect all stars in previous level. On small scale episodes it isn't that bad, but when you make bigger projects, it can be really irritating, especially when there are stars to get like ones I described earlier. In Mario games (but not only) you usually have to collect about 60% of all collectibles. In your case, you could make it so the number of stars required increases by 2 (out of 3 stars found in each level. Additionally, you should know that levels that require more searching (like Ghost House in your demo) shouldn't add up to other levels and should be treated as bonus/secret levels you don't have to complete or even find.
Ok, that's it for review, now a few things I found:
  • Bugs:
    • In some levels there are badly placed pipe portals at the beginning of level. One, they are facing up and not down. Two, they exits at the same place as they're placed (are they meant to take back player to hub?)
    • In Ghost House, the red coins event triggers on its own after some time, even if axe wasn't touched. Additionaly, some time after it being activated it plays Star fanfare wherever you are, which is really unnecessary.
    • In the same level, in Boss Fight Section, sometimes it pushes to to the wall, making you unable to move.
    • In Veggie Forest, a wall in Section 5 (section with Boom Boom) can appear on its own, softlocking player, as he's unable to proceed.
  • There's also a typo in Yoshi Village: one of Yoshis says "vocation" instead of "vacation".
That's it for now. Keep up the good work, Team Moonlight. That's a one promising episode you have here.
Cheers!

EDIT: The screenshot of pipe bug/mistake: Image
Just a nice guy.

Current project:
Not gonna reveal yet.
I support:

My nickname is read "gos-chyoo" (IPA - 'ɡɔst͡ɕu) and translates into guy (gUy when stylized)

Return to “Projects”