Project Subcon (Hiatus)

Share your work-in-progress SMBX episode or browse and support others'.
Forum rules
Before you make a topic/post, consider the following:
-Is there a topic for this already?
-Does your topic feature proof of progress, i.e., level/world screenshots, wiki page, playable demo.
-Is your post on-topic/appropriate?
-Are you posting in the right forum/following the forum rules?

Should PROJECT SUBCON become PROJECT MIRROR.

Poll ended at Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:32 pm

Yes
No votes
No
No votes
Maybe
33%
I'd prefer not to choose.
67%

Total votes: 3
Kitti and Minni
Spiny
Spiny
Flair: Sanity is overrated.
Current Project: Project Subcon (Hiatus)

Project Subcon (Hiatus)

Postby Kitti and Minni » Fri Nov 23, 2018 10:18 am

Sorry to be so sudden, but for now I just need to take a break with this project, to reinvigorate my interest in it and all that. So for the time being its on a Hiatus. Sorry.
Current post has been moved into this spoiler bar:
Spoiler: show

This is the New Post, the old was moved to the secondary post

Hey all, before I get started let me explain what this post is. It's my way of trying to keep you all up to date with bits and bobbles of Project Subcon, so in other words its sort of a blog post that I'll edit every now and then.

Table of Contents:
Part 0: Project Status
Part 1: Why SMBX 38-A
Part 2: What IS Project Subcon
Part 3: Updates
Part 4: Screenshots
Part 5: Demos Links and Downloads, oh my!
Part 6: Milestones
Part 7: Announcements
Part 8: Supporting Project Subcon

===========================================================

Part 0: Project Status

Paused.

Current Progress:

Part 1: Why SMBX 38-A?

Considering the majority of people here most likely use SMBX 1.4.x I should explain what SMBX 38-A is. SMBX 38-A is at face value, the same software but a different icon. But the big differences come with the editor. For me personally, SMBX's editor loading time is annoying long, but 38-A has a faster load time, as well as having other power ups (example: propeller mushroom from NSMB-Wii) and enemies not in the normal Version of SMBX. This is some of the basic changes, along with added features in the events menu (such as giving the ability to put time limits on levels.) The editor itself also feels alot smoother than the original editor.
These are the main reasons I use 38-A. But the secondary Reason I'm using this is because the Graphics Pack I'm using (Witchking666's Graphics Pack 6.0) has bits that seem to need PGE or other things to work best.

Part 2: What IS Project Subcon?

Project Subcon is a SMBX Episode that is a sort of inspiration hybrid. I have a love of the NSMB Series along with SMW Hacking and the such, so I decided to take an approach of a sort of "Semi-Vanilla SMW Hack" in a sense. So in a sense Project Subcon is a SMW Hack that isn't limited strictly to the ROM formatting. The level philosophy is that of NSMB, but at the same time having that sort of open-air feel of the SMW Levels. Project Subcon is my attempt to make a full-fledged game of sorts, even if it doesn't come to fruition. The Ambition of Project Subcon is to simply be a Mario Game, and have, at a minimum, 32 Levels, 8 Worlds, and decent level design. The reason my ambition for the project is so low is due to the likelihood that I might never finish it, and Should I attempt to go through with this project, I would rather keep the stress of working on it rather low.

Part 3: Updates.

2018 Updates:
Update 1: As of writing this, I have completed The 4th Level (First tower) of the entire game, meaning World 1 has 4 out of its 7 total Levels completed.
Update 2: The First Demo (Level 3-3) has been released, as it is one of the bigger levels of World 1.
Update 3: I'm now changing from the default backgrounds of SMBX to custom backgrounds from TSRPR (The Second Reality Project Reloaded) Backgrounds Pack.
Update 4: The Final Level of World 1 is currently in the process of being made, after its done I might take a bit of a break, no a long one, maybe a day or so, just to rest the creative juices and all that.
Update 5: It is done, now to take a short break and celebrate my birthday.
Update 6: I'm back from my break, and uploading all of World 1's levels as a demo, also realized I listed the Level 1-3 Demo as 3-3 so I fixed that. I was also considering moving this project to SMBX 2.0 during my break, but after testing the waters with it, and really not feeling comfortable with the editor at all, I decided to stick with 38-A.
Update 7: Currently my laptop with the files of the game (which i was stupid enough not to think to back up onto somethin else) had its power cord go out, which is bad because its battery doesnt last a full quarter of an hour, and if it did that would be a miracle. So the Project is Currently on a Hiatus until the issue can be fixed. It should please those excited for the project to know that I am NOT giving up on it, slowly since I started It ive felt a bit of a drive thats not usually there for anything I do that I end up quitting, meaning I'm going to try my best to complete this project.
Update 8: So currently i have my old hard-drive from my dead pc connected to the current one while im backing everything up to a third harddrive. This is gonna take awhile, but hopefully now I can get back to working on the episode by new years! Stay tuned for more
Update 9: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0Ezf9BbIYk
Update 10:
Image Oh no! I've been found out! Guess you caught me in the middle of working on 2-1. (Yes 2-1, i'm kinda slow.)
Update 11: I'm currently having some troubles working on world 2.
2019 Updates:
Update 12: Considering the oddly high levels of stress trying to make a stupid pyramid level has caused me, I'm currently not focusing on it, and instead going to leave that for later. I am, however, going to compile a folder of "Invalid Levels." Aka, Beta Levels that wont make it into the final game from some reason. This, if I ever do release anything of this game, will possibly come out around the same time as the main game.
Update 13: After going on a slight hiatus (that lasted longer than anticipated) to just rest my mind from the pain that was making that pyramid level, I'm returning to continue working on this project. I've also added a Progress Bar to the "Project Status" section, this bar is only to show how much progress I've done with the current part of making all the levels. It might go down or up randomly if I feel there's more to be done. Once I'm done with all the worlds it should be at 100%, if it's not then you know why.

Part 4: Image

Warning! The following two images are two full level maps, if you dont wanna see em just click away.

Part 5: Demos Links and Downloads, oh my!

WARNING!
This episode and it's demos were designed for 38A's SUPER MARIO BROS X 1.4.x, please download that before installing the demos and/or episode.
Demos Downloads
Links
viewtopic.php?f=31&t=12984 (Witchking's graphics pack)
https://wohlsoft.ru/forum/viewforum.php?f=58 (Wohlsoft Forums (Home of 38A))

Part 6: Milestones.

World 1 complete.

Part 7: Announcements.

Part 8: Supporting Project Subcon

Currently, Project Subcon is not in any need of support, but if you like what you see so far you can put the following image in your signature.

Code: Select all

[url=https://www.supermariobrosx.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=90&t=23025][img]https://i.imgur.com/KxP6pXp.png[/img][/url]
[/spoiler]
[/spoiler]
Last edited by Kitti and Minni on Fri Apr 19, 2019 4:23 pm, edited 35 times in total.
Projects I'm involved in:
Currently the Head of (and only member involved with) development of
(Don't get your hopes up)
Thing's I'm supporting/excited for:

64searchman46
Pokey
Pokey
Flair: Flair
Current Project: Dimension X; GFX Pack
Chat Username: kborg

Re: Project Subcon

Postby 64searchman46 » Fri Nov 23, 2018 10:43 am

You'll need some screenshots in order to post, sorry for kind of backseat moderating, but do you happen to have anything to show? You could show the first two levels, and I honestly don't want your page to get locked. Otherwise there's nothing to comment on, besides good luck on your project.
Some stuff:
Discord server: https://discord.gg/9Xb452g
Discord username: kborg#5607
Switch friend code: SW-0765-3487-6690
Some good quotes:
"I slap berries with my tail sometimes."
I support:
ImageImage
My official YouTube channel:

Kitti and Minni
Spiny
Spiny

Postby Kitti and Minni » Fri Nov 23, 2018 11:05 am

oh yeah i have screenshots il get some real quick

Added in 4 minutes 43 seconds:
64searchman46 wrote:
Fri Nov 23, 2018 10:43 am
You'll need some screenshots in order to post, sorry for kind of backseat moderating, but do you happen to have anything to show? You could show the first two levels, and I honestly don't want your page to get locked. Otherwise there's nothing to comment on, besides good luck on your project.
the screenshots are added now

FireyPaperMario
Luigi
Luigi
Flair: 90's kid born in 1993 ^_^
Current Project: As of now: SEGA Mega Drive/Genesis GFXs in SMBX
Chat Username: Shin FireyPaperMario

Postby FireyPaperMario » Fri Nov 23, 2018 11:15 am

This SMBX 1.4.x episode does look promising enough, judging by the screenshot of the 1st world. Keep it up

Eri7
Banned
Flair: Hard work pays off sooner or later
Current Project: SMNZ (38A) + SMNP1 (38A) + MKA(2.0) + TNV (2.0/38A) + TNVL (2.0/38A) + SMNP2 (2.0) + SMNR (2.0)
Chat Username: Eri7

Postby Eri7 » Fri Nov 23, 2018 12:27 pm

Its weird calling the project "Subcon" when it has no connection to it, i am sure you could have went for a better name but whatever. I like the tilesets that you are using in the screenshots but with only 3 screenshots i can't really judge your project yet. The only thing i could say is that at least the screenshots look nice.

Kitti and Minni
Spiny
Spiny

Postby Kitti and Minni » Fri Nov 23, 2018 12:41 pm

MarioRPGExpert93 wrote:
Fri Nov 23, 2018 11:15 am
This SMBX 1.4.x episode does look promising enough, judging by the screenshot of the 1st world. Keep it up
Im aware of that but SMBX 38-A was needed for the tileset I'm using, which requires the PGE.
And 38-A is merely a mod in my eyes of SMBX 1.4.x, and I was gonna plan to linking to it in my posts when I (possibly) release any levels/the episode

Kitti and Minni
Spiny
Spiny

Project Subcon (Archived/Original Post)

Postby Kitti and Minni » Sat Nov 24, 2018 12:02 pm

This is the Old Post, the new one was moved to the first post.

Hey all, I've been around for a bit, mostly lurking here and there, doin bits and bobbles of episode making but never actually finishing any of it. But that's what this is, my attempt to make a full-fledged episode for Super Mario bros X 38A

It's name?

Now you may ask:
"why Project Subcon?"
"Will subcon be a part of the episode?"
My answer is: Well... no, not really. I just needed a cool name for it.

Currently Project Subcon is early in the process of creation, only with the first two levels (and most of the third) put together, with the first world's map put together. This Project I'm trying to keep simple, The Less Ambition I have the more likely it is that I can finish it, but even then there's a chance I might get bored and move on to other things. When the First World is complete, I will update this post (or make a new one) to let you lot have fun with that as a sort of demo.

Note: Project Subcon uses graphics downloaded from the Forums, and while credits might not be in the demos themselves, the Finish Product will hopefully have credits in them.

Also, in the possible eventuality that I do get most of the levels, if not all of them, done then I might ask for people to play-test the levels and to possibly refine them. But don't get your hopes up for any of this, because there's a fair chance none of this might happen.
Last edited by Kitti and Minni on Mon Nov 26, 2018 8:41 am, edited 15 times in total.

PixelPest
Link
Link
Flair: Tamer of Boom Booms
Current Project: Boom Boom Evolution
Chat Username: PixelPest

Postby PixelPest » Sat Nov 24, 2018 12:10 pm

Please don't make a new topic for an update to the same project. Post in the same topic you originally made and you can also edit your original post as needed. I've merged the two topics but please avoid doing this in the future

Kitti and Minni
Spiny
Spiny

Postby Kitti and Minni » Sat Nov 24, 2018 12:11 pm

PixelPest wrote:
Sat Nov 24, 2018 12:10 pm
Please don't make a new topic for an update to the same project. Post in the same topic you originally made and you can also edit your original post as needed. I've merged the two topics but please avoid doing this in the future
sorry, didn't know

PixelPest
Link
Link

Postby PixelPest » Sat Nov 24, 2018 12:18 pm

Kitti and Minni wrote:Considering the majority of people here most likely use SMBX 1.4.x (aka vanilla SMBX) I should explain what SMBX 38-A is. SMBX 38-A is a mod of sorts that fuses SMBX with the PGE (Platformer Game Engine) and at face value, its the same software but a different icon. But the big differences come with the editor. For me personally, vanilla SMBX's editor loading time is annoying long, but 38-A has a slower load time, as well as having other power ups (example: propeller mushroom from NSMB-Wii) and enemies not in the vanilla game. This is some of the basic changes, along with added features in the events menu (such as giving the ability to put time limits on levels.) The editor itself also feels alot smoother than the original editor.
These are the main reasons I use 38-A. But the secondary Reason I'm using this is because the Graphics Pack I'm using (Witchking666's Graphics Pack 6.0) requires the PGE system, here's his quote as to why.
Just want to clarify a few things since a lot of this is wrong and misleading.

"Vanilla SMBX" usually refers to 1.3.0.1. It is not true that most people here use the 38A engine (incorrectly referred to as 1.4 by a number of people), most people use SMBX2, the successor of Redigit's SMBX 1.3, the most recent iteration of the engine released by the original creator.

38A is not a mod at all. It in no way has anything to do with fusing SMBX and PGE. 38A is a completely separate engine built from scratch that has nothing to do with the original SMBX engine. PGE is an editor that has some (but not full compatibility) with 38A, and was never released originally alongside it or packaged with it by the creator as far as I know.

It is the main editor for SMBX2 and built around functionality for it specifically at this time.

Furthermore witchking's graphics pack does not require PGE at all. The reason he stated that is because he included custom tileset files to make the assets viewable as custom tilesets in PGE, but it's by no means a requirement.

Please don't spread false information if you don't really understand how something like this works

Kitti and Minni
Spiny
Spiny

Postby Kitti and Minni » Sat Nov 24, 2018 12:55 pm

PixelPest wrote:
Sat Nov 24, 2018 12:18 pm
Kitti and Minni wrote:Considering the majority of people here most likely use SMBX 1.4.x (aka vanilla SMBX) I should explain what SMBX 38-A is. SMBX 38-A is a mod of sorts that fuses SMBX with the PGE (Platformer Game Engine) and at face value, its the same software but a different icon. But the big differences come with the editor. For me personally, vanilla SMBX's editor loading time is annoying long, but 38-A has a slower load time, as well as having other power ups (example: propeller mushroom from NSMB-Wii) and enemies not in the vanilla game. This is some of the basic changes, along with added features in the events menu (such as giving the ability to put time limits on levels.) The editor itself also feels alot smoother than the original editor.
These are the main reasons I use 38-A. But the secondary Reason I'm using this is because the Graphics Pack I'm using (Witchking666's Graphics Pack 6.0) requires the PGE system, here's his quote as to why.

"Vanilla SMBX" usually refers to 1.3.0.1. It is not true that most people here use the 38A engine (incorrectly referred to as 1.4 by a number of people), most people use SMBX2, the successor of Redigit's SMBX 1.3, the most recent iteration of the engine released by the original creator.

38A is not a mod at all. It in no way has anything to do with fusing SMBX and PGE. 38A is a completely separate engine built from scratch that has nothing to do with the original SMBX engine. PGE is an editor that has some (but not full compatibility) with 38A, and was never released originally alongside it or packaged with it by the creator as far as I know.

It is the main editor for SMBX2 and built around functionality for it specifically at this time.

Furthermore witchking's graphics pack does not require PGE at all. The reason he stated that is because he included custom tileset files to make the assets viewable as custom tilesets in PGE, but it's by no means a requirement.

Please don't spread false information if you don't really understand how something like this works
oh, I wasn't trying to spread false information, that's just the impressions I got from all of the things

PixelPest
Link
Link

Postby PixelPest » Sat Nov 24, 2018 1:44 pm

Kitti and Minni wrote:
Sat Nov 24, 2018 12:55 pm
PixelPest wrote:

oh, I wasn't trying to spread false information, that's just the impressions I got from all of the things
Just because it's the impression you got doesn't mean it's fact

Kitti and Minni
Spiny
Spiny

Postby Kitti and Minni » Sat Nov 24, 2018 2:26 pm

PixelPest wrote:
Sat Nov 24, 2018 1:44 pm
Kitti and Minni wrote:
Sat Nov 24, 2018 12:55 pm
PixelPest wrote:

Just because it's the impression you got doesn't mean it's fact
I Never said it was a fact, I just said thats the impression I got, therefore thats why I put it, because to me that's just how it was.

Kitti and Minni
Spiny
Spiny

Postby Kitti and Minni » Sun Nov 25, 2018 11:51 am

Eri7 wrote:
Fri Nov 23, 2018 12:27 pm
Its weird calling the project "Subcon" when it has no connection to it, i am sure you could have went for a better name but whatever. I like the tilesets that you are using in the screenshots but with only 3 screenshots i can't really judge your project yet. The only thing i could say is that at least the screenshots look nice.
To add onto this now, I've released the first demo if you wanna try it out. It's of the third level (since Levels 1-1 and 1-2 are slightly more compact than 1-3 or 1-5) and I'm posting it now as I'm taking a break from working on 1-5.

Core
Eerie
Eerie
Flair: <3

Re: Project Subcon (FIRST DEMO OUT!!!)

Postby Core » Sun Nov 25, 2018 12:19 pm

Looks interesting. I don't think backgrounds on Levels screenshots fit them, i meant, it doesn't fits the levels at all. World map is nice looking though!
There is nothing interesting here to see.

Kitti and Minni
Spiny
Spiny

Postby Kitti and Minni » Sun Nov 25, 2018 12:58 pm

Chorpe wrote:
Sun Nov 25, 2018 12:19 pm
Looks interesting. I don't think backgrounds on Levels screenshots fit them, i meant, it doesn't fits the levels at all. World map is nice looking though!
Currently I don't have any custom backgrounds for the levels, if you know a pack that would have an abundance of them I'd gladly use it!

64searchman46
Pokey
Pokey

Postby 64searchman46 » Sun Nov 25, 2018 9:41 pm

Where exactly is the demo? Since your project isn't finished, I hope you didn't make a thread for your demo in the episode section. I haven't checked yet but I can't find it in this thread. I really want to try out the demo and give you my thoughts, so hope you get back to me soon.
Some stuff:
Some good quotes:
I support:
ImageImage

Cedur
Blue Yoshi Egg
Blue Yoshi Egg
Flair: Save climate, cut fridays for whole-week future
Current Project: various playthroughs and tests

Postby Cedur » Mon Nov 26, 2018 6:38 am

the demo is in the post that was merged into this thread, scroll up a bit

Supports: show

Still using the legacy editor? Get SMBX2 and PGE, it will improve your experience significantly. Here's why.

iphtechnologies wrote: NEO super mario world x is a really nice game. This Episode is 2,7 GB large at the moment.That`s crazy!
Please find similar post:
[ads]

If you're not smart enough to plan ahead, then DOOM ON YOU!

64searchman46
Pokey
Pokey

Postby 64searchman46 » Mon Nov 26, 2018 8:10 am

Cedur wrote:
Mon Nov 26, 2018 6:38 am
Thanks, thought I missed it. I feel like it'd be easier to find if Kitti and Minni added it to the main post later.
Some stuff:
Some good quotes:
I support:
ImageImage

Kitti and Minni
Spiny
Spiny

Postby Kitti and Minni » Mon Nov 26, 2018 8:34 am

64searchman46 wrote:
Mon Nov 26, 2018 8:10 am
Cedur wrote:
Thanks, thought I missed it. I feel like it'd be easier to find if Kitti and Minni added it to the main post later.
ah crap I should do that shouldnt i

Added in 7 minutes 12 seconds:
Kitti and Minni wrote:
Mon Nov 26, 2018 8:34 am
64searchman46 wrote:
Mon Nov 26, 2018 8:10 am
Cedur wrote:
ah crap I should do that shouldnt i
done

Return to “Projects”