6 RETURNING COINS [Graphic Designers Wanted!]

Share your work-in-progress SMBX episode or browse and support others'.
Forum rules
Before you make a topic/post, consider the following:
-Is there a topic for this already?
-Does your topic feature proof of progress, i.e., level/world screenshots, wiki page, playable demo.
-Is your post on-topic/appropriate?
-Are you posting in the right forum/following the forum rules?
goombaguy
Ripper II
Ripper II
Flair: AKA Kiyoshi
Current Project: 6 Returning Coins

6 RETURNING COINS [Graphic Designers Wanted!]

Postby goombaguy » Wed Feb 06, 2019 5:40 pm

The Long Awaited Project is Coming!

Since the development of the first Super Mario Land Returns (four and a half years ago) I have been requested to do this project. Realizing my mistake of not doing so, I've finally decided to pull my butt off the couch and get things going. I won't be putting too much new content into this game because I also need to worry about school and learning programming, but I definitely want to put a lot of effort into every level so that way it lives up to today's standards. Expect this project to be much better than Super Mario Land Returns since I'm more experienced with designing games (I was 12 back then can you believe it). With the intro out of the way, let's get into the details of what you should expect.

Differences

Remastered Levels - All levels will be redesigned in a way that feels more like a SMBX project. This means that the level design is NOT a 100% duplicate.

16 Bit Graphics - All graphics will be Super Mario Bros. 3 SNES styled and done by me alone. I know there are some graphics for Super Mario Land 2 already made, but I want to design each thing exactly the way I want to. I'm sure it will be worth it.

Power Ups - Other SMBX power ups will be included and will each have a purpose in helping Mario throughout his journey. They're not there just cause reasons.

Silver Coins - After collecting all 6 golden coins and beating the game, you will earn the ability to go back and find 2 silver coins in each level. 1 silver coin requires finding a key hidden in a block and taking that key to the end of the level. The other requires collecting 8 red coins. If I did my math right, there will be 70 golden / silver coins in the game. That's 20 more than stars in Super Mario Land Returns.

Teamwork!

To anyone who is interested in helping me improve 6 Returning Coins, please dm me about becoming a beta tester! I have 3 levels finished and ready for criticism. For now, I will be accepting 5 testers, but that number may change in the future depending on how it goes. If you don't like to judge levels or there isn't enough slots left, don't worry! I may upload a public demo when I have at least 6 levels completed. Also, to people who would like to help with graphic design and making SMB3 recolors of SML2 sprites, pm me!

List of Beta Testers

- MechDragon777
- DrMekar
- [Open!]
- [Open!]
- [Open!]

List of Graphic Designers

- [Open!]
- [Open!]
- [Open!]

Screenshots

So far, I have only made the first level. I'm currently working on others so stay tuned! I can't wait to show off more.

Spoiler: show
ImageImageImageImage

Support pls

I can really use as much support as I can get to stay motivated. Doing work (especially graphics) takes a lot of time and effort. If you like this project and will likely play it when it releases please support it by attaching this image to your signature! I'll really appreciate it. I understand that I haven't said very much yet about it, so if you have any questions that aren't answered, feel free to pm me, dm me on twitter, ping me on discord, whateves. Hope you all enjoy it!

Code: Select all

[url=https://www.supermariobrosx.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=90&t=23431][img]https://i.imgur.com/JMdF6lv.png[/img][/url]

Last edited by goombaguy on Tue Jul 30, 2019 6:46 pm, edited 7 times in total.

FireyPaperMario
Luigi
Luigi
Flair: 90's kid born in 1993 ^_^
Current Project: As of now: SEGA Mega Drive/Genesis GFXs in SMBX
Chat Username: Shin FireyPaperMario

Re: 6 RETURNING COINS - A Super Mario Land 2 Remake

Postby FireyPaperMario » Wed Feb 06, 2019 6:02 pm

I freaking LOVE Super Mario Land 2 back in my childhood in the 90's to early 2K decade! As it's my very 1st classical "Super Mario" game

Gotta add this to my list of SMBX stuff I truly support! ^_^"

CheesyYoY
Spiny
Spiny
Flair: yeeting ur mom
Chat Username: Cheesy

Postby CheesyYoY » Fri Feb 22, 2019 10:32 am

This looks amazing my dude.

My brand new episode called SMI! Its pretty cool with G O O D graphics cos' thats all that matters right?
(you can click the image to see the post)

Da YoY Stuff

I Support

Youtube Discord

YoY#4811

Eri7
Banned
Flair: Hard work pays off sooner or later
Current Project: SMNZ (38A) + SMNP1 (38A) + MKA(2.0) + TNV (2.0/38A) + TNVL (2.0/38A) + SMNP2 (2.0) + SMNR (2.0)
Chat Username: Eri7

Postby Eri7 » Fri Feb 22, 2019 1:07 pm

The logo is fantastic and the screenshots are beatiful, i have never played SML2 so this project will be more like a new game for me than a remake which makes me more excited for the full release. Good luck, i hope it gets finished and i have high expectations for it because of your SML remake.

FireyPaperMario
Luigi
Luigi

Re: 6 RETURNING COINS [New Screens 2/27/19 - New Poll]

Postby FireyPaperMario » Thu Mar 07, 2019 7:50 pm

Wanna know which zone I'm all hyped up for?
  • ALL 7 Zones

Cedur
Blue Yoshi Egg
Blue Yoshi Egg
Flair: Save climate, cut fridays for whole-week future
Current Project: various playthroughs and tests

Postby Cedur » Sat Mar 09, 2019 7:40 am

Since I noticed that new screens were added, have you done a few more levels in the meantime? What's your estimated progress?

Supports: show

Still using the legacy editor? Get SMBX2 and PGE, it will improve your experience significantly. Here's why.

iphtechnologies wrote: NEO super mario world x is a really nice game. This Episode is 2,7 GB large at the moment.That`s crazy!
Please find similar post:
[ads]

If you're not smart enough to plan ahead, then DOOM ON YOU!

goombaguy
Ripper II
Ripper II

Postby goombaguy » Sat Mar 09, 2019 7:45 am

Cedur wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2019 7:40 am
Since I noticed that new screens were added, have you done a few more levels in the meantime? What's your estimated progress?
So far I've only really been able to take on one level every too weeks. I've got 3 of the 32 levels done. I should be able to do a lot more once spring break comes around. School's a butt.
DISCORD: kiyoshi#0202

Eri7
Banned
Flair: Hard work pays off sooner or later
Current Project: SMNZ (38A) + SMNP1 (38A) + MKA(2.0) + TNV (2.0/38A) + TNVL (2.0/38A) + SMNP2 (2.0) + SMNR (2.0)
Chat Username: Eri7

Postby Eri7 » Sat Mar 09, 2019 8:40 am

I can relate to that, school makes you busy and too tired to work on your stuff... but your progress hasn't been that bad, i too am able to make one level per 2 weeks as making a contest quality levels for a project takes a lot of time.So good luck, i like the aesthetics in the new screenshots, i am just impressed at how beatiful and yet simple it looks! I am really excited for this project and i haven't been excited for other projects since a long time.

Cedur
Blue Yoshi Egg
Blue Yoshi Egg
Flair: Save climate, cut fridays for whole-week future
Current Project: various playthroughs and tests

Postby Cedur » Sat Mar 09, 2019 9:02 am

goombaguy wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2019 7:45 am
Cedur wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2019 7:40 am
So far I've only really been able to take on one level every too weeks. I've got 3 of the 32 levels done. I should be able to do a lot more once spring break comes around. School's a butt.

That was right about what I was hoping for, good job.

at first I thought you posted this very early but also good job building the hype up

Supports: show

Still using the legacy editor? Get SMBX2 and PGE, it will improve your experience significantly. Here's why.

iphtechnologies wrote: NEO super mario world x is a really nice game. This Episode is 2,7 GB large at the moment.That`s crazy!
Please find similar post:
[ads]

If you're not smart enough to plan ahead, then DOOM ON YOU!

Scroll
Boom Boom
Boom Boom
Flair: Press Start
Current Project: The Quest of the Dark Stars and something else I think
Chat Username: Scroll#6292

Postby Scroll » Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:17 am

The screenshots look so amazing. They remind me of something... I don't know what is, just I know that they remind me of something.

64searchman46
Pokey
Pokey
Flair: Flair
Current Project: Dimension X; GFX Pack
Chat Username: kborg

Postby 64searchman46 » Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:14 pm

This looks amazing so far, can't wait for the final product! Also, will this remaster still be for the legacy version of SMBX? Or will it be updated for one of the new versions?
Some stuff:
Discord server: https://discord.gg/9Xb452g
Discord username: kborg#5607
Switch friend code: SW-0765-3487-6690
Some good quotes:
"I slap berries with my tail sometimes."
I support:
ImageImage
My official YouTube channel:

goombaguy
Ripper II
Ripper II

Postby goombaguy » Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:12 pm

64searchman46 wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:14 pm
This looks amazing so far, can't wait for the final product! Also, will this remaster still be for the legacy version of SMBX? Or will it be updated for one of the new versions?
I want to make it compatible with the legacy version but I'm unsure with all the enemies and the carrot powerup. I may have to consider using LunaLua, but that's as far as I'll go.

64searchman46
Pokey
Pokey
Flair: Flair
Current Project: Dimension X; GFX Pack
Chat Username: kborg

Postby 64searchman46 » Sat Mar 30, 2019 1:34 pm

goombaguy wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:12 pm
64searchman46 wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:14 pm
I want to make it compatible with the legacy version but I'm unsure with all the enemies and the carrot powerup. I may have to consider using LunaLua, but that's as far as I'll go.
Cool. Thankfully I have all current SMBX versions on my PC so no matter your decision, I will definitely play this episode.
Some stuff:
Discord server: https://discord.gg/9Xb452g
Discord username: kborg#5607
Switch friend code: SW-0765-3487-6690
Some good quotes:
"I slap berries with my tail sometimes."
I support:
ImageImage
My official YouTube channel:

Westretroman
Nipper Plant
Nipper Plant

Re: 6 RETURNING COINS [Beta Testing! - New Poll]

Postby Westretroman » Sat Mar 30, 2019 2:26 pm

Please use Lunalua to break the boundaries, the first Super Mario Land Returns was good but suffered from a few workarounds like the Super Ball powerup not functioning like a Super Ball or being able to glitch out of the submarine. With Lunalua, you can also make the silver coins possible.

FireyPaperMario
Luigi
Luigi

Postby FireyPaperMario » Sat Mar 30, 2019 2:37 pm

Would like to beta test this SMBX episode.... But I couldn't due to my busy schedule. Sorry man. :(

ElmerMouseFan34
Fighter Fly
Fighter Fly
Current Project: Mickey Mouse Works: The Platformer
Chat Username: ElmerMouseFan34

Postby ElmerMouseFan34 » Sat Mar 30, 2019 2:44 pm

I think I could help you as a beta tester, that is if you don't mind of course. :)
My main project:
Logo montage by AndrewPixel, SMW font by BMatSantos, cog sprites by Valtteri and Mickey and Donald sprites by Landsverk96 (on DeviantArt).
Discord server: https://discord.gg/4hYwk2k

MegaDood
Kamikaze Koopa
Kamikaze Koopa
Current Project: Super Mario Bros. Twisted Realities
Chat Username: Mega

Postby MegaDood » Tue Apr 09, 2019 4:21 am

This looks great, I love Super Mario Land 2. Also LunaLua is a good idea, it will help bring everything to life.
My Project:
I don't really have a signature but here's what I support:

goombaguy
Ripper II
Ripper II

Postby goombaguy » Thu Apr 11, 2019 5:56 pm

Westretroman wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 2:26 pm
Please use Lunalua to break the boundaries, the first Super Mario Land Returns was good but suffered from a few workarounds like the Super Ball powerup not functioning like a Super Ball or being able to glitch out of the submarine. With Lunalua, you can also make the silver coins possible.
You say I can make the silver coins possible that way. Is there a possibility I can have a variable that keeps track of how much silver coins are collected similar to collectable stars?

Westretroman
Nipper Plant
Nipper Plant

Postby Westretroman » Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:26 pm

goombaguy wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 5:56 pm
Westretroman wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 2:26 pm
You say I can make the silver coins possible that way. Is there a possibility I can have a variable that keeps track of how much silver coins are collected similar to collectable stars?
I'm not a professional coder in Lua myself, but I know it's doable, you might need to ask Enjil or someone on the codehaus discord if you need the answer.

TiopTcz
Koopa Troopa
Koopa Troopa
Flair: I'm Czech :D
Current Project: Mario's Big Island Save !
Chat Username: TiopTcz

Postby TiopTcz » Sat May 11, 2019 8:54 am

If you would like I can be a beta tester. Super mario land 2 is my favourite gameboy game of all times and i would like to see it remastered.

Mine project

What I support :

ImageImage
ImageImage

Return to “Projects”