Toad’s Bizarre Quest! [DEMO V2]

Share your work-in-progress SMBX episode or browse and support others'.
Forum rules
Before you make a topic/post, consider the following:
-Is there a topic for this already?
-Does your topic feature proof of progress, i.e., level/world screenshots, wiki page, playable demo.
-Is your post on-topic/appropriate?
-Are you posting in the right forum/following the forum rules?
SrgtShocwave
Bob-omb
Bob-omb
Flair: :ok_hand:
Current Project: Toad's Bizarre Quest (1.4.4)
Chat Username: Shocwave

Re: Toad’s Bizarre Quest! [DEMO]

Postby SrgtShocwave » Fri May 31, 2019 4:51 am

Hey everyone! If you look at the progress section you will see that I'm currently working on World 4 so I decided to take some screenshots of the first three levels to prove that I'm still alive :lol:

Here you go:
World 4 Sneak Peak: show

I also have some World 3 screenshots, just tell me if you want them.
Play The Demo!

Youtube |:| Discord: SrgtShocwave#0758

Scroll
Boom Boom
Boom Boom
Flair: Dracuckeo
Current Project: Rosalina's Satellite (yet again)
Chat Username: Scroll#6292

Postby Scroll » Fri May 31, 2019 4:17 pm

SrgtShocwave wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 4:51 am
Hey everyone! If you look at the progress section you will see that I'm currently working on World 4 so I decided to take some screenshots of the first three levels to prove that I'm still alive :lol:

Here you go:
World 4 Sneak Peak: show

I also have some World 3 screenshots, just tell me if you want them.
I'm sorry but I feel these screenshots look bland, some of them are lacking scenery, coins and enemies. This project though has potential so I know you can improve it!

Cedur
Blue Yoshi Egg
Blue Yoshi Egg
Flair: Save climate, cut fridays for whole-week future
Current Project: various playthroughs and tests

Postby Cedur » Sat Jun 01, 2019 5:35 am

Scroll wrote:I'm sorry but I feel these screenshots look bland, some of them are lacking scenery, coins and enemies

oof

I think "bland" is the wrong way to describe it

in most of the screens there is already a solid amount of scenery and stuff; it's just the 1st which could use some more

"blandness" is when you really just have (vanilla) barebones (see bossedit's "what to not make in SMBX" video)

Supports: show

Still using the legacy editor? Get SMBX2 and PGE, it will improve your experience significantly. Here's why.

iphtechnologies wrote: NEO super mario world x is a really nice game. This Episode is 2,7 GB large at the moment.That`s crazy!
Please find similar post:
[ads]

If you're not smart enough to plan ahead, then DOOM ON YOU!

SrgtShocwave
Bob-omb
Bob-omb

Postby SrgtShocwave » Sat Jun 01, 2019 1:31 pm

Scroll wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 4:17 pm
I'm sorry but I feel these screenshots look bland, some of them are lacking scenery, coins and enemies. This project though has potential so I know you can improve it!
I think the blandness comes more through how I took the screenshots; I literally just ran through the levels and pressed print screen a bunch of times :lol: . I do spend a lot of time decorating each level though so the blandness won't be present in game (at least I hope not).

Thanks for the feedback though, I will keep this in mind when I take future screenshots.
Play The Demo!

MegaDood
Birdo
Birdo
Current Project: Super Mario Bros. Twisted Realities
Chat Username: Mega

Postby MegaDood » Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:10 am

I like the style in World 4, it's quite interesting. Though a personal gripe of mine, I think the shy guy and snifit sprites look a bit... off... I don't know what it is, maybe the snifit's hood is too dark or something. Anyway, these look pretty good overall.
My Project:
I don't really have a signature but here's what I support:

SrgtShocwave
Bob-omb
Bob-omb

Postby SrgtShocwave » Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:31 am

MegaDood wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:10 am
I like the style in World 4, it's quite interesting. Though a personal gripe of mine, I think the shy guy and snifit sprites look a bit... off... I don't know what it is, maybe the snifit's hood is too dark or something. Anyway, these look pretty good overall.

I think World 4 is pretty interesting too. I made it so that half of the world is ice and the other half if lava (explaining the contrasting screenshots) so its good to see that other people think its a good idea.

And about the Snifit, I can't really see anything wrong with it, but then again I didn't make the graphic. If I remember correctly I got it from here: viewtopic.php?t=17731
Play The Demo!

MegaDood
Birdo
Birdo
Current Project: Super Mario Bros. Twisted Realities
Chat Username: Mega

Postby MegaDood » Fri Jun 14, 2019 1:25 am

SrgtShocwave wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:31 am
MegaDood wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:10 am

I think World 4 is pretty interesting too. I made it so that half of the world is ice and the other half if lava (explaining the contrasting screenshots) so its good to see that other people think its a good idea.

And about the Snifit, I can't really see anything wrong with it, but then again I didn't make the graphic. If I remember correctly I got it from here: viewtopic.php?t=17731
Ah that makes sense about the snifit then. The contrast with ice and lava reminds me of the Freezeflame Galaxy from Super Mario Galaxy, which I quite like due to my nostalgia for that game.
My Project:
I don't really have a signature but here's what I support:

SrgtShocwave
Bob-omb
Bob-omb

Postby SrgtShocwave » Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:19 am

I've just heard the news that 1.4.5 is out so I just want to update all of you. I shouldn't have any problems transferring the episode to 1.4.5 so everything I do will be done on that editor from now on.
I don't know if the episode will still be compatible with 1.4.4 (it should be) but you should probably use 1.4.5 if you are planning on playing it.

On an unrelated note, I will post some more screenshots when I finish the level I'm currently working on so look forward to that. :D

UPDATE: I've done some research and apparently there is something wrong with the update, something about it not being made by the same person who made 1.4.4? Should I be using it?

UPDATE 2: After testing it, the physics feel slightly off. I don't know if I should make the switch to this version, anyone got any suggestions?
Play The Demo!

Electriking
Flair: I have NO idea what to put here
Current Project: Something
Chat Username: ElectriKing

Postby Electriking » Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:57 am

SrgtShocwave wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:19 am
UPDATE: I've done some research and apparently there is something wrong with the update, something about it not being made by the same person who made 1.4.4? Should I be using it?
38A decided to remove the hidden functions and lots of scripting features, shoving his middle finger in the faces of everyone using it, while adding just a few rushed and unfinished new features, resulting in something you can't really call an update.

Also levels use a new formula at, so old levels will be converted into the format and cannot be taken back to 1.4.4. And since 1.4.5 also has almost no backwards compatibility with previous versions, so converting your levels could just corrupt them, make sure to backup your episode first, if you choose to go to 1.4.5. Also bear in mind that 1.4.4 scripts won't work, and as you can expect most script creators to stick with 1.4.4, don't expect to be using most scripts, unless you recreate them yourself.

If you choose to go to 1.4.5, make sure you take the proper precautions unless you want to risk the engine cancelling your project for you.
SMM2 ID: JJF-P7G-FSF

SrgtShocwave
Bob-omb
Bob-omb

Postby SrgtShocwave » Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:04 am

Electriking wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:57 am
SrgtShocwave wrote:
38A decided to remove the hidden functions and lots of scripting features, shoving his middle finger in the faces of everyone using it, while adding just a few rushed and unfinished new features, resulting in something you can't really call an update.

Also levels use a new formula at, so old levels will be converted into the format and cannot be taken back to 1.4.4. And since 1.4.5 also has almost no backwards compatibility with previous versions, so converting your levels could just corrupt them, make sure to backup your episode first, if you choose to go to 1.4.5. Also bear in mind that 1.4.4 scripts won't work, and as you can expect most script creators to stick with 1.4.4, don't expect to be using most scripts, unless you recreate them yourself.

If you choose to go to 1.4.5, make sure you take the proper precautions unless you want to risk the engine cancelling your project for you.

Thanks for this, good thing I backed up my files before I tested them in 1.4.5 :roll:

And yeah, with all this in mind, I'm just going to keep using 1.4.4 since it seems like the better option; 1.4.5 is also slightly awkward to use and play on in my opinion. If anything, I can try and convert the episode to 1.4.5 when I have completely finished it but for now nothing has changed.
Play The Demo!

Cedur
Blue Yoshi Egg
Blue Yoshi Egg
Flair: Save climate, cut fridays for whole-week future
Current Project: various playthroughs and tests

Postby Cedur » Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:10 am

SgrtShocwave wrote:Thanks for this, good thing I backed up my files before I tested them in 1.4.5 :roll:

And yeah, with all this in mind, I'm just going to keep using 1.4.4 since it seems like the better option; 1.4.5 is also slightly awkward to use and play on in my opinion. If anything, I can try and convert the episode to 1.4.5 when I have completely finished it but for now nothing has changed.

Fun fact, 1.4.5 receives many patches after all the user complaints; when you ever convert to 1.4.5 make sure to get the latest patch

Supports: show

Still using the legacy editor? Get SMBX2 and PGE, it will improve your experience significantly. Here's why.

iphtechnologies wrote: NEO super mario world x is a really nice game. This Episode is 2,7 GB large at the moment.That`s crazy!
Please find similar post:
[ads]

If you're not smart enough to plan ahead, then DOOM ON YOU!

SrgtShocwave
Bob-omb
Bob-omb

Postby SrgtShocwave » Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:14 am

Cedur wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:10 am
Fun fact, 1.4.5 receives many patches after all the user complaints; when you ever convert to 1.4.5 make sure to get the latest patch

Hopefully all these problems are fixed by the time my episode is finished; I really think 1.4.5 has potential with all the MM2 stuff it added.

Thanks though, I will remember this if I do get to converting everything.
Play The Demo!

SrgtShocwave
Bob-omb
Bob-omb

Postby SrgtShocwave » Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:02 am

SrgtShocwave wrote:
I will post some more screenshots when I finish the level I'm currently working on so look forward to that. :D

Hey guys, I finished the level I mentioned.

Quick question though, would you just like some screenshots or a video of me fully playing through my most recent levels? (Or both...? It depends on what you want.)

Nevermind, decided to make the video so I could showcase the levels in full :lol:
Video: show
What do you think of them?
Play The Demo!

SrgtShocwave
Bob-omb
Bob-omb

Postby SrgtShocwave » Tue Jul 23, 2019 8:34 am

Only one more level and I can release Demo 2! I've been working on the project for quite a while now, I'm just happy that its turned out good so far. After this, I work towards finishing the episode completely, so look forward to that! :D

By the way, can you guess the gimmick of my recent level from these screenshots?
Screenshots: show
Play The Demo!

sammerbro
Lakitu
Lakitu
Flair: playing and making SMBX stuff
Current Project: Sam Lev Boss Rush 5

Postby sammerbro » Tue Jul 23, 2019 8:36 am

SrgtShocwave wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2019 8:34 am
Only one more level and I can release Demo 2! I've been working on the project for quite a while now, I'm just happy that its turned out good so far. After this, I work towards finishing the episode completely, so look forward to that! :D

By the way, can you guess the gimmick of my recent level from these screenshots?
Screenshots: show
Is the gimmick the level changing between fire and ice?

SrgtShocwave
Bob-omb
Bob-omb

Postby SrgtShocwave » Tue Jul 23, 2019 8:53 am

sammerbro wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2019 8:36 am
Is the gimmick the level changing between fire and ice?

Yup. (Maybe that a bit too obvious...)
Play The Demo!

SrgtShocwave
Bob-omb
Bob-omb

Re: Toad’s Bizarre Quest! [DEMO V2]

Postby SrgtShocwave » Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:53 pm

And that's it, Demo V2 is out!

Check the main post to find the new download links.

I've also added a new powerup section and some new screenshots.
Play The Demo!

Return to “Projects”