Super Mario Star Scramble - 38A Collaboration Project

Share your work-in-progress SMBX episode or browse and support others'.
Forum rules
Before you make a topic/post, consider the following:
-Is there a topic for this already?
-Does your topic feature proof of progress, i.e., level/world screenshots, wiki page, playable demo.
-Is your post on-topic/appropriate?
-Are you posting in the right forum/following the forum rules?
Scroll
Boom Boom
Boom Boom
Flair: Press Start
Current Project: The Quest of the Dark Stars and something else I think
Chat Username: Scroll#6292

Super Mario Star Scramble - 38A Collaboration Project

Postby Scroll » Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:58 pm

Special thanks to AndrewPixel for the logo!

About: (last updated: 9/29/2019)
Some days ago I started along with some people a Discord server about Mario level making games in general, and we already got over 20 people so we decided to start a collaboration project in SMBX 38A with the purpose of making our small server community more popular, and to help people to improve their level design skills.

I am the leader of the project and I will give feedback to every level submitted. The title just comes from the story below, the project doesn't have anything to do with the original Star Scramble fangame but you are welcome to suggest anything to me.

Story: (last updated: 6/24/2019)
It's Princess Daisy's birthday, so Mario goes to her castle along with Luigi and Peach with a really nice present for her, a giant star. Daisy was delighted with the present she has received, but her happiness didn't last much. Next morning, Bowser went to Daisy's castle along with the koopalings with their biggest airship, where they had a lot of bob-ombs to attack. The people in Sarasaland saw them arriving and inmediately went to the castle to try to save Daisy from the attacks, and they did. But the big and shiny star didn't stay safe. The koopalings took it to the airship along with lots of small stars more, and then they returned to the Bowser's castle. However, not too far from Sarasaland, a bob-omb got triggered and the whole airship exploded, then all of the stars got scattered to different planets, excepting the biggest one, luckily for Bowser. So it's up to Mario, Luigi and Peach to take them back to Daisy's castle!
(kinda similar to the one in my previous project Rosalina's Satellite, isn't it?)

How to contribute?: (last updated: 9/29/2019)
You should follow these "guidelines" in your level(s) if you want to contribute:
- Your level should be compatible with SMBX 38A/1.4. Scripting is allowed, but do not add a custom HUD to your level. You will be notified about any issues.
- Your level should have a SMB3 star as its main exit. Multiple endings are allowed.
- If the level contains dragon coins, it must have 5.
- Make sure your level is playable with Mario, Luigi and Peach.
- By submitting a level, you should agree that you will receive feedback about it and I will decide if the level should be included or not.
- By submitting a level, you should agree that the leaders will make a few changes to adjust it better to the episode.

Project members/contributors:
- Scroll - Project head
- AndrewPixel - Logo creator
- sammerbro - 2 levels submitted
- MUZZ13 - 1 level submitted
- JDFRG - 1 level submitted

Level list:
This is a list of the levels already submitted to the collab, including a screenshot of each one:
Colorful Gardens by Scroll
Spoiler: show
Midnight Groove by Scroll
Warm Sunset by Scroll
The system of the episode will be planned and handled on later, once there are enough levels. So for now, I will let you choose. Should we make a worldmap? Or a hub? Tell your thoughts below.

Support this project!
To not miss anything about the project, I encourage you to join The Maker's Place, a Discord server about Mario level making games and level sharing: https://discord.gg/rrmjdnn
Support code for forum signatures:

Code: Select all

[url=https://www.supermariobrosx.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=90&t=24164][img]https://i.imgur.com/xobZFgg.png[/img][/url]
Last edited by Scroll on Sun Sep 29, 2019 10:45 pm, edited 8 times in total.

sammerbro
Lakitu
Lakitu
Flair: playing and making SMBX stuff
Current Project: Sam Lev Boss Rush 5

Re: Super Mario Star Scramble X - 38A Collaboration Project

Postby sammerbro » Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:10 am

I would like a World Map, so any exit can be used to end levels.
Also, I'm working on my own levels for this. Since I like boss battles, do not be surprised if at least 1 level has a boss. When people submit, where do they have to make their submission? I would like to know for when I submit.

MECHDRAGON777
Pink Yoshi Egg
Pink Yoshi Egg
Flair: Nuclear Queen of Reversion.
Current Project: http://www.supermariobrosx.org/forums/v ... 9&start=10
Chat Username: 鬼人 正邪

Postby MECHDRAGON777 » Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:10 am

The outline on a few of the clouds in Evening Heights seems to be a tad off. I do like Midnight Stroll's setup with the Hammer Brother however.
sammerbro wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:10 am
Also, I'm working on my own levels for this. Since I like boss battles, do not be surprised if at least 1 level has a boss. When people submit, where do they have to make their submission? I would like to know for when I submit.
About this; I agree with the world map portion of this. I will not be making levels of this though due to the engine it requires though. About submission, I am willing to bet you just DM Scroll on Discord or PM her/him on the SMBX forums.

ImageImageImage

LGLMAKING
Mega Mole
Mega Mole
Flair: B ready, MK7, Imma hack you soon!!!
Current Project: See 'Flair'

Postby LGLMAKING » Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:04 am

Scroll, you should consider that I was talking with Eri7 about adding this episode idea to his Novaverse. But alright, then two Star Scrambling projects. This collab be more something of it's own and my project would be more true to the Star Scramble series.
And you took a part of the story from Rosalina's Satellite.

And I'm going to re-use that king Kaliente boss for the collab, since it fits more with this than with my Star Scramble X
Collab leader of:

I support

Cedur
Blue Yoshi Egg
Blue Yoshi Egg
Flair: Save climate, cut fridays for whole-week future
Current Project: various playthroughs and tests

Postby Cedur » Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:13 pm

fyi the novaverse is expanding too much in such a short time; it almost feels like people try to get their project in there just for the sake of prestige

Supports: show

Still using the legacy editor? Get SMBX2 and PGE, it will improve your experience significantly. Here's why.

iphtechnologies wrote: NEO super mario world x is a really nice game. This Episode is 2,7 GB large at the moment.That`s crazy!
Please find similar post:
[ads]

If you're not smart enough to plan ahead, then DOOM ON YOU!

Enjl
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg
Flair: Orphion Egamalenitar Osmos IV, Esq.

Postby Enjl » Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:19 pm

Cedur wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:13 pm
fyi the novaverse is expanding too much in such a short time; it almost feels like people try to get their project in there just for the sake of prestige
selling your ideas into an existing framework never really made sense to me... seeing only one "universe" around in form of the novaverse is much less exciting to me than if there were countless individual settings and universes where everyone's ideas can flourish.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Scroll
Boom Boom
Boom Boom

Postby Scroll » Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:48 pm

sammerbro wrote:
Thank you for your opinion. And yes, as MECHDRAGON777 said, you can send me your levels privately.
MECHDRAGON777 wrote: The outline on a few of the clouds in Evening Heights seems to be a tad off. I do like Midnight Stroll's setup with the Hammer Brother however.
sammerbro wrote:
About this; I agree with the world map portion of this. I will not be making levels of this though due to the engine it requires though. About submission, I am willing to bet you just DM Scroll on Discord or PM her/him on the SMBX forums.
Thanks for the feedback, I will try to fix that.

Also it's him lol
LGLMAKING wrote: Scroll, you should consider that I was talking with Eri7 about adding this episode idea to his Novaverse. But alright, then two Star Scrambling projects. This collab be more something of it's own and my project would be more true to the Star Scramble series.

And I'm going to re-use that king Kaliente boss for the collab, since it fits more with this than with my Star Scramble X
We might add this to it once we have more progress - it's Eri's decision anyways. Also, what if we merge both projects? As I said in the topic, I try to make this episode to have a SMSS inspired experience

sammerbro
Lakitu
Lakitu

Postby sammerbro » Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:56 pm

Scroll wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:48 pm
sammerbro wrote:
Thank you for your opinion. And yes, as MECHDRAGON777 said, you can send me your levels privately.
MECHDRAGON777 wrote: The outline on a few of the clouds in Evening Heights seems to be a tad off. I do like Midnight Stroll's setup with the Hammer Brother however.
sammerbro wrote:

Also it's him lol
LGLMAKING wrote: Scroll, you should consider that I was talking with Eri7 about adding this episode idea to his Novaverse. But alright, then two Star Scrambling projects. This collab be more something of it's own and my project would be more true to the Star Scramble series.

We might add this to it once we have more progress - it's Eri's decision anyways. Also, what if we merge both projects? As I said in the topic, I try to make this episode to have a SMSS inspired experience
Great, I'll submit my level "Gray Temple" via sending a PM to you

LGLMAKING
Mega Mole
Mega Mole

Postby LGLMAKING » Fri Jun 14, 2019 3:26 am

Scroll wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:48 pm
sammerbro wrote:
sammerbro wrote:

Also it's him lol

It was my decision to add it to the Novaverse
sammerbro wrote:
Don't worry, Sammerbro. There will be bosses ;)
Collab leader of:

I support

Scroll
Boom Boom
Boom Boom

Postby Scroll » Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:19 am

MECHDRAGON777 wrote:
I will not be making levels of this though due to the engine it requires though.
Forgot to tell you this; you can send me a level made in 1.3, and I can convert it to 38A format and add it to the collab.

MECHDRAGON777
Pink Yoshi Egg
Pink Yoshi Egg
Flair: Nuclear Queen of Reversion.
Current Project: http://www.supermariobrosx.org/forums/v ... 9&start=10
Chat Username: 鬼人 正邪

Postby MECHDRAGON777 » Sun Jun 16, 2019 5:24 pm

Scroll wrote:
Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:19 am
MECHDRAGON777 wrote:
I will not be making levels of this though due to the engine it requires though.
Forgot to tell you this; you can send me a level made in 1.3, and I can convert it to 38A format and add it to the collab.
My 1.3 levels do not work in 5438A38A. I tried to beat Icy Mix (A Kaizo level made in 1.3) and could not do any of it.

ImageImageImage

MegaDood
Birdo
Birdo
Current Project: Super Mario Bros. Twisted Realities
Chat Username: Mega

Postby MegaDood » Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:15 am

So you're able to convert a 1.3 level into a 38A level? That'd be cool.
Is there any due date to submit our levels to you?
My Project:
I don't really have a signature but here's what I support:

Cedur
Blue Yoshi Egg
Blue Yoshi Egg
Flair: Save climate, cut fridays for whole-week future
Current Project: various playthroughs and tests

Postby Cedur » Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:23 am

MegaDood wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:15 am
So you're able to convert a 1.3 level into a 38A level? That'd be cool

Keep in mind you can't convert it back then. Make a backup copy first. Also according to hearsay it may not be 100% reliable.

Supports: show

Still using the legacy editor? Get SMBX2 and PGE, it will improve your experience significantly. Here's why.

iphtechnologies wrote: NEO super mario world x is a really nice game. This Episode is 2,7 GB large at the moment.That`s crazy!
Please find similar post:
[ads]

If you're not smart enough to plan ahead, then DOOM ON YOU!

LGLMAKING
Mega Mole
Mega Mole

Postby LGLMAKING » Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:42 am

Cedur wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:23 am
MegaDood wrote:
So you're able to convert a 1.3 level into a 38A level? That'd be cool

Keep in mind you can't convert it back then. Make a backup copy first. Also according to hearsay it may not be 100% reliable.
I use the function mainly to convert gif's into png's

You can use this. I recommend you playtest it for bugs and fix little things before putting your conversion online
Collab leader of:

I support

Scroll
Boom Boom
Boom Boom

Postby Scroll » Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:31 am

Oh wow, I wasn't aware of these replies here because of receiving a lot of notifications for subscribing to the forums and then never reading them... My bad
MegaDood wrote:
So you're able to convert a 1.3 level into a 38A level? That'd be cool.
Is there any due date to submit our levels to you?
So far there's no a deadline. And you don't need to convert it to 38A, just send me a level made in 1.3 and I'll do the rest.

Added in 28 minutes 58 seconds:
Just made a small change to the thread. Due to some confusion with another project, the shine sprites have been replaced by stars.

Also, since what the leaders can do isn't too far from what other contributors can do, I added a project members list with all of the people that has contributed with the project.

More level screenshots coming soon!

Inferno_Guy
Bob-omb
Bob-omb
Flair: Bandana Dee for SSBU DLC!
Current Project: Mega Man Assault
Chat Username: Inferno_Guy

Postby Inferno_Guy » Fri Jul 05, 2019 9:30 am

Glad to have submitted a level! Except it was a tedious one. And might cause rage, I'm going to submit another just for that >.<
SMBX and Pokemon Youtuber, and I quote myself as the "Lord of Waddle Dees." (Not sure why tbh...)

Join my Discord server: Image

Image Image
Image Image

Participant in:

Check out my custom levels!

ThePieSkyHigh
Nipper Plant
Nipper Plant
Flair: "Nothing is impossible!" But I do nothing all day.
Current Project: ☆ Jump up super star! ☆
Chat Username: ThePieSkyHigh

Postby ThePieSkyHigh » Fri Jul 05, 2019 10:26 pm

...a bomb-omb got TRIGGERED
XD
Sorry, I had to

ALSO, looks great! Reminds me of a certain flash game ;)
Go check out my levels
Go check out my short stories
You may call me "Pie" if you'd like.

If you want a logo for your episode, go PM AndrewPixel!
I support: show

Scroll
Boom Boom
Boom Boom

Postby Scroll » Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:58 am

The rule of the 3 SMW stars has been deleted, so people can focus more on their design. I know this project has been dead for a while, but I'll be adding levels to the main post soon and try to find more ways to make it popular.

sammerbro
Lakitu
Lakitu

Postby sammerbro » Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:15 pm

Is the project moved to 1.4.5?

Scroll
Boom Boom
Boom Boom

Postby Scroll » Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:21 pm

sammerbro wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:15 pm
Is the project moved to 1.4.5?
I have to try it out to see if the actual levels are compatible. I had downloaded it when it was released and I got multiple errors, but I gotta download the new patches

Return to “Projects”