Bowser's Last Attempt [Redesigned Post]

Share your work-in-progress SMBX episode or browse and support others'.
Forum rules
Before you make a topic/post, consider the following:
-Is there a topic for this already?
-Does your topic feature proof of progress, i.e., level/world screenshots, wiki page, playable demo.
-Is your post on-topic/appropriate?
-Are you posting in the right forum/following the forum rules?
SPEEDIE
Spiny
Spiny
Flair: Ninji ♥
Current Project: Bowser's Last Attempt
Chat Username: SPEEDIE

Bowser's Last Attempt [Redesigned Post]

Postby SPEEDIE » Sat Oct 19, 2019 9:47 am

Yes, our second project. Bowser's Last Attempt! I have redesigned this post as I thought it looked ugly.

Ah, yes, so Bowser's Last Attempt is a SMBX2 PAL build episode utilizing LunaLua. It was created in such a way that it looks and feels like SMW, just like any hack on SMWCentral. One set of hacks were the biggest inspirations for this Episode.
New Super Mario World 1: The Twelve Magic Orbs and the sequel, Around the World. They are great hacks go check em out.

This episode uses a very underused .lua script file known as viewport.lua which makes the screen smaller, just like SMW.
Currently World 5 out of 7 are finished. It will have 7 worlds (or 8 if a world with 3 levels counts and a special bonus world called World X obviously inspired by VLDC hacks on SMWCentral. Some more features include:
*Only SMW Custom Music*
*Title Screen*
*and obviously more*
Unfortunately, I forgot all the credits, so if you own something in this episode, please pm me
Enough talking, I will show some screenshots, keep in mind that these were taken WAY before the demo even was released, so there might be unused content in them, warning aside, check em out!
Spoiler: show
Image Image

Image Image

Image Image

Image Image

Image Image

Image Image

Also all levels are unlocked on start so that you can play them in any order you want, and each level has ONE power star, collect them all to unlock World X which can only be unlocked by grabbing them all, the rest of the levels can be play in any order you feel like.

This episode will probably not be out until next year so stay tuned for that.

With that all being said, the demo can be downloaded below:
https://bit.ly/2r1mQyE
And the required SMBX version: https://bit.ly/378ki26
And an older let's play of World 1 through 4, but keep in mind that it is VERY outdated! Thank you for reading this, you can give any feedback you want below! Enjoy the demo!
Last edited by SPEEDIE on Sat Nov 16, 2019 7:53 am, edited 6 times in total.
Your goals aren't always reached, that's why they are goals. :)

Current Projects
viewtopic.php?f=90&t=24794
Finished Projects
viewtopic.php?f=36&t=23060
Please do not check this terrible piece of garbage out But you can if you want to bother me :oops:

Enjl
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg
Flair: Orphion Egamalenitar Osmos IV, Esq.

Re: Mario's MASSIVE Adventure [SMBX 2.0 PAL Episode]

Postby Enjl » Sat Oct 19, 2019 10:59 am

Please just use the SMW costume by putting:
local playerManager = require("playerManager")
playerManager.setCostume(CHARACTER_MARIO, "SMW - Mario")
playerManager.setCostume(CHARACTER_LUIGI, "SMW - Luigi")

at the top of your episode-wide luna.lua file.
The way the player currently sinks into the ground looks pretty garish, and the costume was made to fix that.
Once the costume is loaded, you won't need episode-wide character spritesheets for those characters anymore.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

SPEEDIE
Spiny
Spiny

Postby SPEEDIE » Sat Oct 19, 2019 11:49 am

Thanks! It worked, and yeah it looks way better.

Current Projects
Finished Projects
Please do not check this terrible piece of garbage out But you can if you want to bother me :oops:

Enjl
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg

Postby Enjl » Sat Oct 19, 2019 12:13 pm

:thumbsupemoji:
Levels look neat. Keep it up.
ImageImageImageImage

Daring Tombstone
Swooper
Swooper
Flair: Sad I didn't fight Jirachi
Current Project: Something Maybe
Chat Username: Chaperone

Postby Daring Tombstone » Sun Oct 20, 2019 9:15 pm

The world map border looks neat. I'm a fan of astronomical colors (if that makes sense). Everything looks good from what I see. I look to forward to giving this a thorough playthrough.
Happy Dance
Check out my completed episode
Check out my halloween level

Teemster2
Ripper II
Ripper II

Postby Teemster2 » Mon Oct 21, 2019 2:43 am

How many levels per world? I ask because you say this is massive.

Massive to me is over 200 levels so I was just wondering lol.
I want to say thank you to God for every day he gives me on this planet and for the chance to be in a better place when I die.

Cedur
Blue Yoshi Egg
Blue Yoshi Egg
Flair: Save climate, cut fridays for whole-week future
Current Project: various playthroughs and tests

Postby Cedur » Mon Oct 21, 2019 3:00 am

SPEEDIE wrote:Don't expect this to be out soon, there's a ton to do!

Yeah sure! You also have my support!
SPEEDIE wrote:Feel free to give me feedback, I rarely use supermariobrosx.org!

You guys should more often!

Supports: show

Still using the legacy editor? Get SMBX2 and PGE, it will improve your experience significantly. Here's why.

iphtechnologies wrote: NEO super mario world x is a really nice game. This Episode is 2,7 GB large at the moment.That`s crazy!
Please find similar post:
[ads]

If you're not smart enough to plan ahead, then DOOM ON YOU!

SPEEDIE
Spiny
Spiny

IMPORTANT IF YOU CARE!

Postby SPEEDIE » Tue Oct 22, 2019 7:40 am

SPEEDIE wrote:
Sat Oct 19, 2019 9:47 am
Mario's Massive Adventure

An episode with 9 worlds, and three are finished! Mario's Massive Adventure is an episode made to look like your SMWC VLDC hack but in SMBX, kind of, It features ONLY SMW Custom Music!

*SMW Styled GFX*
*SMW Custom Music*

I want this post to be short so here are some screenshots!
If you want video previews, visit my youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1eWBp ... aSlZkJa_rg

SCREENS:

Don't expect this to be out soon, there's a ton to do!
Feel free to give me feedback, I rarely use supermariobrosx.org!
ATTENTION: I wanted to make this episode 12 + worlds long from the beginning, but due to some issues and limitations of the SMBX Engine, It wouldn't work. So I decided with 9 as above, While that doesn't seem "Massive", I still kept the name cause it would be annoying to change it, however when I tried to make the 8th world, it would tell me that the game would crash if I went above the block limit of 20,000, So I make it 7 worlds, and that isn't even that long so I decided to change the name to Bowser's Last Attempt!

Current Projects
Finished Projects

Cedur
Blue Yoshi Egg
Blue Yoshi Egg

Re: Bowser's Last Attempt [SMBX 2.0 PAL Episode] [Formerly Mario's Massive Adventure]

Postby Cedur » Tue Oct 22, 2019 8:19 am

First, there's no need to requote the OP with all the screens, especially when posting something irrelevant to them.

Anyway could you please showcase your map? I just opened the Airship Attack map (which has 11 worlds iirc plus bonus worlds) and it has a bit over 17,000 tiles. Perhaps it's just space management on your end?

Still using the legacy editor? Get SMBX2 and PGE, it will improve your experience significantly. Here's why.

iphtechnologies wrote: NEO super mario world x is a really nice game. This Episode is 2,7 GB large at the moment.That`s crazy!
[ads]

Teemster2
Ripper II
Ripper II

Re: Bowser's Last Attempt [SMBX 2.0 PAL Episode] [Formerly Mario's Massive Adventure]

Postby Teemster2 » Tue Oct 22, 2019 11:37 am

You can have 50 world's in 20,000 tiles depending on how big they are and how many levels they have. You could have a few with just black space behind them.

Also in paint you can make every tile huge and that can make your world map as big as you want it to be. If you enlarge your tiles you can then save them to your game thus a single tile can count for 5,000 tiles and still only read as 1 in the game.

I really with we were not so limited on the options for world map. I do like your project. Keep up the good work.
I want to say thank you to God for every day he gives me on this planet and for the chance to be in a better place when I die.

Cedur
Blue Yoshi Egg
Blue Yoshi Egg

Postby Cedur » Tue Oct 22, 2019 12:43 pm

Teemster2 wrote:I really wish we were not so limited on the options for world map

why did you say that when you previously stated how easy it is to bypass it?

even for levels, the limits are there but they can be considered pretty generous once you know a few tricks

[ads]

Electriking
Flair: I have NO idea what to put here
Current Project: Something
Chat Username: ElectriKing

Postby Electriking » Tue Oct 22, 2019 1:25 pm

If tiles are the problem, then take a screenshot of your map (or parts of your map), rename them to 'tile-[number here]' and put the following code into your episode's map.lua file:
for i=1, 36 do
if i ~= 14 then
local s = Graphics.loadImage("tile-" .. i .. ".png") --why does graphics.sprites not work for this...?
for k,v in pairs(Tile.get(i)) do
v.width = s.width
v.height = s.height
end
end
end
This code was written by Enjl for the Level Contest Japan episode, which used big tiles. This code will automatically resize a map tile to the size of the image. 'for i=1, 36 do' makes the code work for tiles 1 through 36. Change these numbers to change which tiles this code works for. 'if i ~= 14 then' makes the code not work for tile 14. The code does not work for for animated tiles, so any animated tiles will need to be excluded from the code.

If scenery is an issue, then you can do the same thing for tiles and have any non-animated scenery not intersecting with paths become part of the big tile(s). Otherwise try to find places where sceneries can be removed.

If paths are a problem, then they are probably too long and will annoy players. Try making them shorter.

If levels are a problem, then do you really think you will be able to make 400+ levels for your project?

If the solve all the issues caused by technical limitations are solved, then the biggest limitation will be the working ideas that your (or your team) are able to come up with.
SMM2 ID: JJF-P7G-FSF

Teemster2
Ripper II
Ripper II

Postby Teemster2 » Tue Oct 22, 2019 5:31 pm

Cedur wrote:
Tue Oct 22, 2019 12:43 pm
Teemster2 wrote:I really wish we were not so limited on the options for world map

why did you say that when you previously stated how easy it is to bypass it?

even for levels, the limits are there but they can be considered pretty generous once you know a few tricks
It's just time consuming for me but yes it is easy. Sorry for side tracking the thread.

SPEEDIE
Spiny
Spiny

Postby SPEEDIE » Sat Oct 26, 2019 3:24 pm

Teemster2 wrote:
Tue Oct 22, 2019 11:37 am
You can have 50 world's in 20,000 tiles depending on how big they are and how many levels they have. You could have a few with just black space behind them.

Also in paint you can make every tile huge and that can make your world map as big as you want it to be. If you enlarge your tiles you can then save them to your game thus a single tile can count for 5,000 tiles and still only read as 1 in the game.

I really with we were not so limited on the options for world map. I do like your project. Keep up the good work.
There was also another issue that I found just a while after posting this, and there's no more tile- slots left, I seriously tried to add the Castle Bleck World tiles and it didn't even fit. Hopefully the game will be good even with only 7 worlds, as of now, 4 are finished and one of them only has three levels.

Current Projects
Finished Projects

Cedur
Blue Yoshi Egg
Blue Yoshi Egg

Postby Cedur » Sat Oct 26, 2019 3:43 pm

I'd say don't derive from your original plan already. See if you can do the levels for your original project. There are fixes available.

[ads]

SPEEDIE
Spiny
Spiny

Postby SPEEDIE » Sat Oct 26, 2019 3:45 pm

Cedur wrote:
Sat Oct 26, 2019 3:43 pm
I'd say don't derive from your original plan already. See if you can do the levels for your original project. There are fixes available.
I'll give it a try, see if I can figure it out!

Current Projects
Finished Projects

Teemster2
Ripper II
Ripper II

Postby Teemster2 » Thu Oct 31, 2019 5:21 pm

SPEEDIE wrote:
Sat Oct 26, 2019 3:24 pm
Teemster2 wrote:
Tue Oct 22, 2019 11:37 am

There was also another issue that I found just a while after posting this, and there's no more tile- slots left, I seriously tried to add the Castle Bleck World tiles and it didn't even fit. Hopefully the game will be good even with only 7 worlds, as of now, 4 are finished and one of them only has three levels.
I know this is late but they added dummy slots. Did you use all of those slots up?

Enjl
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg

Postby Enjl » Fri Nov 01, 2019 4:43 am

Teemster2 wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 5:21 pm
I know this is late but they added dummy slots. Did you use all of those slots up?
This is bad advice. There is no world map custom range yet. Anyone using the dummy slots might run into issues in the future (even when Beta 4 is out, which is the first version under which releasing this wouldn't already cause issues for you).

Alternative solutions include chunking batches of tiles that include many unique ones, using scene objects for decoration tiles that are out of reach, reducing the overall amount of unique custom tiles to make room for another set, and simplifying the world layout to reduce the amount of unique custom tiles (for example, every world map tileset comes with like three variations on corner pieces, which you might not all use).
ImageImageImageImage

Cedur
Blue Yoshi Egg
Blue Yoshi Egg

Postby Cedur » Fri Nov 01, 2019 9:19 am

Ok so looking at your signature, I'd like to ask: How many people are you? Do you have ties to rpgmaker.net?

I'd like to join your discord but the link is invalid.

[ads]

Teemster2
Ripper II
Ripper II

Postby Teemster2 » Sat Nov 02, 2019 12:42 am

Enjl wrote:
Fri Nov 01, 2019 4:43 am
Teemster2 wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 5:21 pm
This is bad advice. There is no world map custom range yet. Anyone using the dummy slots might run into issues in the future (even when Beta 4 is out, which is the first version under which releasing this wouldn't already cause issues for you).

Alternative solutions include chunking batches of tiles that include many unique ones, using scene objects for decoration tiles that are out of reach, reducing the overall amount of unique custom tiles to make room for another set, and simplifying the world layout to reduce the amount of unique custom tiles (for example, every world map tileset comes with like three variations on corner pieces, which you might not all use).
Thanks enjl. You know more than I do so I apreciate your input.

Return to “Projects”