New folder (Screenshots and Demo v1 released)

Share your work-in-progress SMBX episode or browse and support others'.
Teemster2
Volcano Lotus
Volcano Lotus

Re: New folder (Screenshots and Demo v1 released)

Postby Teemster2 » Mon Mar 30, 2020 11:24 pm

Enjl wrote:
Mon Mar 30, 2020 2:51 pm
Teemster2 wrote:
Mon Mar 30, 2020 3:03 am
Few things:
1) Lives are no indicator of difficulty. They're an archaic leftover from the arcade days and all they can ever hope to contribute to is a game over. A game over has the consequence of you losing your checkpoint in a level, which is frustrating and not challenging. You have already proven to the game that you can beat the first half of the level, after all.
2) Powerups are hardly an indicator for difficulty. Of course, being able to tank through everything is unsatisfying, but it's better to place a powerup too much than too little, because it helps struggling players and gives better players something to try and preserve, especially if it's a rare one. The opposite end of the spectrum is powerup starvation, and powerup (or checkpoint) starvation is a thing you wanna stay away from as much as possible, because all it can ever lead to is frustration. Levels without powerups work by means of placing frequent checkpoints.
3) Avoiding frequent powerups is impossible in levels that require a specific powerup. Those levels are usually to be treated as a level without powerups where you're just permanently in a specific powerup state.
Those are good points. I like to find a balance between the 2 and avoid people being able to just run through a level as if they are invincible do to power up tanking. I do agree more is better than less.
I want to say thank you to God for every day he gives me on this planet and for the chance to be in a better place when I die.

Return to “Projects”