Super Mario Zeal (0.8 "Prayer")

Share your work-in-progress SMBX episode or browse and support others'.
FireSeraphim
Spiny
Spiny
Flair: Verified Professional Vampire Hunter
Current Project: Super Mario Zeal (SMBX), The Edge of Time - The Producer's Cut (Doom 2 - Hell on Earth)
Chat Username: FireSeraphim

Super Mario Zeal (0.8 "Prayer")

Postby FireSeraphim » Fri May 29, 2020 3:08 am

It's been some time since I was last active in making levels in SMBX (If anyone is wondering about TSRP-X, it is currently on Hiatus until both MAGLX3 and SLAM are done due to both projects attracting more interest and talent, if anyone is wondering yes we would like to have more people join the TSRP-X devteam but we haven't had any luck attracting talent or interest).

This Project is something I have been working on since early March and what inspired it was twofold; I have recently turned thirty this year and I have been in the midst of rediscovering myself and reflecting back on my origins and original inspirations. I have been involving in creating and modding video games for at least sixteen years of my entire life and in that time I have been with many creative communities and have seen them grow and change over time. As of late I have been feeling nostalgic for the SMW Hacking scene of the late aughts since I was part of that scene.

The Ambition era (2008-2015) of SMW Hacking was an amazing time to be in the scene, back then we had bold and amazing hacks like
Super Mario TKO, both The Second Reality Project Reloaded 1 and 2, Super Mario Odyssey (yeah Nintendo game name isn't as original as people would think. A Demo of SMO was released back in 2004), Super Mario - The Cookie Crisis, Dr. Mario World Redrawn; Hacks with strong stories equal to the Mario RPGs in quality like Super Mario 2+3: The Essence Star and Super Mario Infinity 1 and 2; Hacks that challenged conventional level design wisdom like Mario's Keytasrophe (All the level exits are key exits and the goal in each level is to solve the puzzle of how to get the key to the keyhole and did I mention the level design is puzzle orientated?), Super Mario Bros. - The Castle (Imagine a gigantic castle level with a huge variety of different paths you could take to reach the boss at the top of the castle, thus giving it a huge amount of replayability), Every Level Iggy! (The premise of this one is that every level ends in a boss fight against Iggy Koopa), F-Mario (This was hack where Mario's goal was to race to the end of the levels and the level design iterates on itself like a race track); Hacks that refined the concept of difficult Mario levels without being Kaizo like the Luigi's Adventure Trilogy; and even amazing total conversions like Azure Chaotic, A Variety of Chance and the Kid's Adventure series. Back then I followed many interesting and ambitious SMW hacks from that era; many of which never saw completion and my goal with this SMBX episode is to recapture the very things I liked about the Ambition Era of SMW Hacking in a playable episode and somehow bring the magic back as it were. Maybe if I'm lucky I'll inspire a few people among the way!

But enough sentimental blathering, Let's get on with it!
King Bowser has team up with King Wart and King K. Rool in a new alliance known simply as "The Rotten Regents". Together these Kingly Konquerers have stolen and scattered the power stars for their own (as of yet unknown) diabolical ends. It it now up to Mario and his friends to recollect the scattered Powers Stars, discover what the Rotten Regents are up and put a end to their sinister scheme!

Expect a downloadable demo soon and consistent changelog updates for every demo released from here on out, the version in eclipsed's video is 0.7 "Epitaph" which is slightly out of date. As for the curious end at the name of the version, it's a version's tag name. It makes it easier to keep track of which version of a file it is and the tag name scheme I'm running with right now is song names from Castlevania 3 - Dracula's Curse
Last edited by FireSeraphim on Wed Jul 15, 2020 8:10 am, edited 21 times in total.

FireSeraphim
Spiny
Spiny
Current Project: Super Mario Zeal (SMBX), The Edge of Time - The Producer's Cut (Doom 2 - Hell on Earth)

Re: Super Mario Zeal (0.8 "Prayer")

Postby FireSeraphim » Fri May 29, 2020 3:22 am

-0.8 "Prayer" Changelog-
  • fixed a minor OW pathing error where completing "Conifer Crest" would accidentally give you access to "Midnight Memories"
  • Updated all Goal Posts to use Mr.DoubleA's improved SMW Goal Post
  • Drastically overhauled the Hub Worldmap to be more in line with my intended vision for it
  • 1-3 Now has a secret exit to access Mint Isle Village
  • All Pine trees in world 1 and 2 maps are now the same as the ones on the Hub Worldmap for consistency's sake

Click here to download the current Demo (0.8 "Prayer")

Idunn
Pokey
Pokey
Flair: Robotic
Current Project: Super Mario Forces Timeline
Chat Username: Name you never find

Postby Idunn » Fri May 29, 2020 4:03 am

Oh I was always wondering what’s up with TSRPX it is one of the few projects that kept me interested.
I do hope that you will finish that one up!

For now, this one looks really interesting so far which might be my interest also into SMW in general.
I will support this project and definitely try out the Demo!

I wish you good luck on hopefully completing this one.
Become a Novastar

Things i support!
Spoiler: show
ImageImage

DoraemonPepe
Banned
Flair: Being completely crazy.
Current Project: Canceled

Postby DoraemonPepe » Sun Jun 14, 2020 8:23 pm

I support this project because it is really cool and very good! A better SMBX project, well done!

And I asks you, what version did this project will run without issues on Super Mario Bros. X?

CJ_RLushi
Bit
Bit
Flair: Intention is what matters
Current Project: Another Super Mario Bros. 3 Remake [SMBX2]

Postby CJ_RLushi » Sun Jun 14, 2020 9:24 pm

This was made for SMBX2
My episode lol:

FireSeraphim
Spiny
Spiny

Postby FireSeraphim » Mon Jun 22, 2020 9:25 pm

I updated the opening post with another video.

FireSeraphim
Spiny
Spiny

Postby FireSeraphim » Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:37 pm

I have updated the opening post with a big screenshot of the world maps so far. World 3 will be named "Ship-Breaker Slough"

LGLMAKING
Ripper II
Ripper II
Flair: There's always another secret.
Current Project: Captain Toad: Shine Scramble

Postby LGLMAKING » Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:14 am

This's pretty hot imo

I'll see if I can check out the demo sometime soon
"I am incredibly lucky I know you and im glad I gave you a chance to be a part of this" -Eri7
"I'm going to call these Janksqueaks from now on." -Clearman06
New producer of the Novaverse, after Eri7's departure from the community.

Nooga Productions
Banned

Postby Nooga Productions » Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:27 pm

Don't give up, and keep going with your SMBX project thought!
I'm the supporter of

I'm currently inactive right now. Please don't reply to me nor PM me. If you want to contact me, email me via [email protected] instead. Thanks. :(

Damn you Bullet51

DerEric
Ripper II
Ripper II
Flair: FINAL BOSS
Current Project: Who knows?
Chat Username: Eric

Postby DerEric » Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:19 pm

That world map looks really good. I'd suggest you add some scenery to the water, though. Maybe some islands or rocks in the water could do the trick.
Just wait and see.

Hatsune Blake
Lakitu
Lakitu
Current Project: Super Mario Island
Chat Username: Hatsune Blake

Postby Hatsune Blake » Sat Jul 04, 2020 12:56 am

This is looking pretty good. Very excited to see where this goes, keep up the work!

Super Mario World lets fucking gooooooooo
Check out my custom GFX pack!
The two logos below are made by FyreNova, the one true Nova.

Please check out my levels!
My up and coming project:

FireSeraphim
Spiny
Spiny

Postby FireSeraphim » Wed Jul 15, 2020 8:10 am

I posted yet another new video in the opening post, this time showing off a level I recently finished work on.

Return to “Projects”