Page 3 of 3

Re: The SMBX Guide to Spriting

Posted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 8:05 am
by ProngoKingdom
Hello...
So using your tutorial I decided to draw something. And I wanted to start out simple and try to add some shading, since that's what I'm worst at in terms of drawing.
So I drew a Puff-shroom from Plants vs. Zombies which is a great game you should all check out in Paint.net by using this as a "model":
Image
Here's what I made:
Image
So did I do something wrong? I did notice there's not much texture since the "model" didn't have much either. Just wondering what I need to improve on. It was just a test for me. Thank you.

Re: The SMBX Guide to Spriting

Posted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 8:15 am
by PixelPest
ProngoKingdom wrote:Hello...
So using your tutorial I decided to draw something. And I wanted to start out simple and try to add some shading, since that's what I'm worst at in terms of drawing.
So I drew a Puff-shroom from Plants vs. Zombies which is a great game you should all check out in Paint.net by using this as a "model":
Image
Here's what I made:
Image
So did I do something wrong? I did notice there's not much texture since the "model" didn't have much either. Just wondering what I need to improve on. It was just a test for me. Thank you.
First of all, try to capture the neutral mood of the mushroom make sure the eye is similar--your eye is much larger and looks kind of sad, due to the slope you added to it. Next you need to better capture the natural shape of the stem and its features; you made it very straight and definite, try to capture the slight curve inwards of the stem and make the mouth a circle instead if an ellipse

Re: The SMBX Guide to Spriting

Posted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 10:03 am
by ProngoKingdom
So now looking at PixelPest's reply (which was really helpful, thanks) I updated it, and by updated I mean completely started over, since I also notice the cap looked off. Puff-shroom 2.0:
Image
And yes, I know I forgot to enlarge it.

Re: The SMBX Guide to Spriting

Posted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 10:17 am
by Enjl
Where does the light come from?

Re: The SMBX Guide to Spriting

Posted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 12:27 pm
by MrPunchia
Enjl wrote:Where does the light come from?
I think it has something to do with the original image.

Re: The SMBX Guide to Spriting

Posted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 2:42 pm
by ProngoKingdom
Yeah what Piderman said. Tried to draw the original.

Re: The SMBX Guide to Spriting

Posted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 3:33 pm
by PixelPest
ProngoKingdom wrote:Yeah what Piderman said. Tried to draw the original.
Enjl has a good and valid point though. It looks as if the image has two light sources almost. You should probably change the shading and choose a better light source

Re: The SMBX Guide to Spriting

Posted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 3:56 pm
by ProngoKingdom
Okay, finally, last version. Not messing with this afterwards.

So I made the light come from the top so that it kinda shines on the cap (though I wanted to keep that little part under the cap shaded, since the cap covered it), and I changed the mouth's shading to also seen like the cap is darkening it rather than shading pretty much being 90% of the mouth. Puff-shroom 3.0:
Image
Not gonna really post here anymore, since at this point I'm spamming, but thanks for the great suggetions and tutor and I'll try my best to improve.

Re: The SMBX Guide to Spriting

Posted: Fri May 05, 2017 10:15 am
by Timo3681
What is the best and fastest way to change color from Koopa Troopa, Yoshi, coins, background, goomba etc.?

Re: The SMBX Guide to Spriting

Posted: Fri May 05, 2017 11:06 am
by Snessy the duck
Timo3681 wrote:What is the best and fastest way to change color from Koopa Troopa, Yoshi, coins, background, goomba etc.?
If you use the recolor tool in Paint.net using the colors of your choice, it's easy as pie (Be sure to disable Anti-Aliasing first or it'll look like shit)

Re: The SMBX Guide to Spriting

Posted: Fri May 05, 2017 12:13 pm
by PixelPest
You can also use the hue tool

Re: The SMBX Guide to Spriting

Posted: Mon May 15, 2017 12:21 pm
by Timo3681
What is the hue tool? how can i use it in paint.net?

How can i make same difference on new gradation?

example:

before:

color 1: R: 102, G: 136, B: 102
color 2: R: 68, G: 102, B: 68
color 3: R: 34, G: 68, B: 34

after:

new color 1: R: 102, G: 136, B: 136
new color 2: R: 68, G: 102, B: 102
new color 3: R: 34, G: 68, B: 68

Re: The SMBX Guide to Spriting

Posted: Wed May 17, 2017 6:04 am
by Enjl
Hue tool? Expand the "Colour" window for RGBA information and a hue slider.

Re: The SMBX Guide to Spriting

Posted: Fri May 19, 2017 9:42 am
by Timo3681
How can i make color groups for recoloring?

example:

group 1: blue
group 2: green
group 3: yellow
group 4: red

etc.

Re: The SMBX Guide to Spriting

Posted: Fri May 19, 2017 10:51 am
by Enjl
Timo3681 wrote:How can i make color groups for recoloring?

example:

group 1: blue
group 2: green
group 3: yellow
group 4: red

etc.
Palettes?
Image
This button lets you add the current primary color to your palette by replacing any of the other colours on it.

Re: The SMBX Guide to Spriting

Posted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 4:22 pm
by arcade999
At no moment in your aticle you explain how to resize graphics to 2x2 pixel to avoid 1x1 pixel cringy shit. I am working on super-custom graphics and I need to resize some sprites to 2x2, but I found no way to make it correctly without 1x1 pixel. If someone know how, I would be very glad.

Re: The SMBX Guide to Spriting

Posted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 4:44 pm
by TDK
arcade999 wrote:At no moment in your aticle you explain how to resize graphics to 2x2 pixel to avoid 1x1 pixel cringy shit. I am working on super-custom graphics and I need to resize some sprites to 2x2, but I found no way to make it correctly without 1x1 pixel. If someone know how, I would be very glad.
Resize to 50% then 200%.

Re: The SMBX Guide to Spriting

Posted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 4:56 pm
by arcade999
TheDinoKing wrote:
arcade999 wrote:At no moment in your aticle you explain how to resize graphics to 2x2 pixel to avoid 1x1 pixel cringy shit. I am working on super-custom graphics and I need to resize some sprites to 2x2, but I found no way to make it correctly without 1x1 pixel. If someone know how, I would be very glad.
Resize to 50% then 200%.
How do I resize the layer?

Re: The SMBX Guide to Spriting

Posted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 8:09 pm
by FireyPaperMario
I just like to say about you saying "Paint.net is free!" thing.... It's free, unless you are a Windows 10 user, then you have to pay $7 USD for it in the W10 store

Re: The SMBX Guide to Spriting

Posted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 10:41 pm
by Enjl
FireyPaperMario wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 8:09 pm
I just like to say about you saying "Paint.net is free!" thing.... It's free, unless you are a Windows 10 user, then you have to pay $7 USD for it in the W10 store
No, it's free. The Windows Store version is just with some donation included. Check out the official website for the free download link:
https://www.getpaint.net/