Longer thread pages, smaller posts

This forum is used to discuss topics, propose ideas, and ask questions relating to supermariobrosx.org.
Aero
Palom
Palom
Pronouns: she/her they/them

Longer thread pages, smaller posts

Postby Aero » Fri Feb 08, 2019 3:41 pm

I think it'd be a good idea to increase the amount of posts per page from 20 to around 30. Also some changes could be made to reduce unnecessary post size bloat:
  • Disable ranks.
  • Disable signatures.
  • Reduce maximum avatar size to 100x100.
Also instead of stretching posts to 100% of the screen, the width could be reduced in common.css so the forums aren't too wide. All together this will have more posts per page and more readable pages that flow with nothing of value lost.

Mushroom King
Monty Mole
Monty Mole

Re: Longer thread pages, smaller posts

Postby Mushroom King » Fri Feb 08, 2019 3:58 pm

I can agree with the avatar size but not disabling rank and signature. But I am for reducing signature size. Too many time while scrolling on a thread it suddenly stop because it changed to scroll a too big signature because of a huge picture in it.

Cedur
Bowser
Bowser
Pronouns: he/him

Postby Cedur » Fri Feb 08, 2019 4:05 pm

Disabling signatures and avatars is already something everyone can do by themselves if they feel the desire to. I agree on the signature part, even despite the scrollbar, you may be doing something wrong if you sig goes about 400px and beyond.

Also 20 posts per page is just about right. 30 would make the page more unoverseeable.
More Supports: show

Still using the legacy editor? Get SMBX2 and PGE, it will improve your experience significantly. Here's why. And remember, Yoshis are tools to be used and discarded.

ShadowStarX (06/14/18) wrote: South Korea is easy deal

FireyPaperMario
Wart
Wart
Flair: 90's kid born in late 1993 ^_^"
Pronouns: He/Him

Postby FireyPaperMario » Fri Feb 08, 2019 4:16 pm

You got at "from 20 to around 30 posts" :idea:
My Pixiv
Mario RPG Goals (62% of them Done)
Custom Mega Drive playable sprites
Sega Mega Drive GFX Pack

Best Quotes: show
8bitmushroom wrote: No creativeness.

Never released an episode anyway.

Never plan to right now, but maybe in the future.
Idunn wrote: That’s how evolution works, nothing disturbing about it.
I'm autistic & have ADHD, wanna fight about it?

Aero
Palom
Palom

Postby Aero » Fri Feb 08, 2019 4:32 pm

Mushroom King wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 3:58 pm
I can agree with the avatar size but not disabling rank and signature. But I am for reducing signature size. Too many time while scrolling on a thread it suddenly stop because it changed to scroll a too big signature because of a huge picture in it.
What would be lost when disabling ranks and signatures?
Cedur wrote: Disabling signatures and avatars is already something everyone can do by themselves if they feel the desire to. I agree on the signature part, even despite the scrollbar, you may be doing something wrong if you sig goes about 400px and beyond.
I'm not saying avatars should be disabled, these should be reduced to 100x100 max. Disabling signatures is possible but really this should be the default since they're pointless and repetitive in topic threads and just increase post size.
Cedur wrote: Also 20 posts per page is just about right. 30 would make the page more unoverseeable.
What does this mean?

1di_Scroll
Charged Spiny
Charged Spiny
Flair: C'est la vie... profitez-en!

Postby 1di_Scroll » Fri Feb 08, 2019 4:35 pm

I would agree with reducing the max avatar size, but to 150x150 instead. For the signatures, reducing them instead of disabling them. But I don't see nothing wrong with the ranks, they are just small images and in my opinion these wouldn't affect the size of the pages that much.

Mushroom King
Monty Mole
Monty Mole

Postby Mushroom King » Fri Feb 08, 2019 4:47 pm

Some people use their signature to link to projects or important threads made by them. And ranks are just a bit of fun adding a touch of animation while renforcing the Super Mario theme.

Eri7
Banned
Flair: Good Foundation allows for strong Execution

Postby Eri7 » Fri Feb 08, 2019 5:00 pm

I wouldn't want signatures to be disabled as this is the only way we can advertise stuff nowdays.
Also i like ranks and i wouldn't want them to go and i have no problems with the current size of the avatars. With the new size, it will break a lot of avatars imo.

1di_Scroll
Charged Spiny
Charged Spiny
Flair: C'est la vie... profitez-en!

Postby 1di_Scroll » Fri Feb 08, 2019 5:07 pm

Eri7 wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 5:00 pm
I wouldn't want signatures to be disabled as this is the only way we can advertise stuff nowdays.
Also i like ranks and i wouldn't want them to go and i have no problems with the current size of the avatars. With the new size, it will break a lot of avatars imo.
Completely agreed

PixelPest
Raccoon Mario
Raccoon Mario
Flair: Tamer of Boom Booms

Postby PixelPest » Fri Feb 08, 2019 5:37 pm

I feel like these changes would make the forums even more unfriendly for mobile users and don't really see what problem this is fixing. I personally see no issue with the way things are right now and I'm not sure that's been clearly identified

FireyPaperMario
Wart
Wart
Flair: 90's kid born in late 1993 ^_^"
Pronouns: He/Him

Postby FireyPaperMario » Fri Feb 08, 2019 5:45 pm

Yeah, I'll have to agree with Pixelpest on this one :roll:
My Pixiv
Mario RPG Goals (62% of them Done)
Custom Mega Drive playable sprites
Sega Mega Drive GFX Pack

Best Quotes: show
8bitmushroom wrote: No creativeness.

Never released an episode anyway.

Never plan to right now, but maybe in the future.
Idunn wrote: That’s how evolution works, nothing disturbing about it.
I'm autistic & have ADHD, wanna fight about it?

Aero
Palom
Palom

Postby Aero » Fri Feb 08, 2019 5:53 pm

How does this make the forums more unfriendly for mobile? Wouldn't the opposite be true?

PixelPest
Raccoon Mario
Raccoon Mario

Postby PixelPest » Fri Feb 08, 2019 5:59 pm

Mona wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 5:53 pm
How does this make the forums more unfriendly for mobile? Wouldn't the opposite be true?
It would make it posts more cramped and avatars more difficult to see, plus signatures are fun and already cut with a scroll bar, while ranks don't really get in the way

Unidentified
Chargin' Chuck
Chargin' Chuck

Postby Unidentified » Fri Feb 08, 2019 6:11 pm

What the others said. I think things are fine as they are. Signatures are the only way to advertise your stuff, and I don't see a problem with them, nor with avatars the way they are.

Aero
Palom
Palom

Postby Aero » Fri Feb 08, 2019 6:24 pm

The idea is to make posts smaller or "cramped." Also your projects and sites can already be included in profile fields so they're just redundant. Advertising isn't a really good reason to have signatures either in general. Avatars aren't essential so they don't really need to be seen; not saying they should be disabled, but if they were it wouldn't matter much. Rank images make posts bigger than they need to be and are also not essential. If they were tiny icons that might be one thing but they're full sized sprites. Someone with a long sig, a 200px tall avatar, and the Pokey rank shouldn't take up half the screen when scrolling through a thread. Even with avatars and sigs disabled the rank images can almost double the size of short posts.

pic related:
Spoiler: show

Unidentified
Chargin' Chuck
Chargin' Chuck

Postby Unidentified » Fri Feb 08, 2019 6:34 pm

I honestly don't think you should completely remove signatures. Maybe reduce the ammount of maximum characters?
As for ranks, I might as well say that I don't care much about them and I won't care if they get removed.

PixelPest
Raccoon Mario
Raccoon Mario

Postby PixelPest » Fri Feb 08, 2019 6:46 pm

Mona wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 6:24 pm
The idea is to make posts smaller or "cramped." Also your projects and sites can already be included in profile fields so they're just redundant. Advertising isn't a really good reason to have signatures either in general. Avatars aren't essential so they don't really need to be seen; not saying they should be disabled, but if they were it wouldn't matter much. Rank images make posts bigger than they need to be and are also not essential. If they were tiny icons that might be one thing but they're full sized sprites. Someone with a long sig, a 200px tall avatar, and the Pokey rank shouldn't take up half the screen when scrolling through a thread. Even with avatars and sigs disabled the rank images can almost double the size of short posts.

pic related:
Spoiler: show
Ranks are really insignificant to post size in general. Also just because something isn't essential, like avatars and signatures, doesn't mean they need to be removed to superficially "improve" something, which again as you said is making it more cramped which will just look worse and again be less friendly for mobile than it already is. Again I don't see any problem you've identified and I feel like this will just create many more problems such as users unhappy with lacks of avatars, signatures, and ranks which tbh most forums have, at least in terms of the former two

Aero
Palom
Palom

Postby Aero » Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:44 pm

As shown in the pic ranks can increase short post sizes unnecessarily if the post is short. And again avatars don't need to be removed, they can be limited in size like I proposed in the OP. Honestly this is the only forum I know of that allows large avatars, full sized sprites for ranks, and huge signatures. On other forums I can usually fit about 5-6 posts on screen at a time, but on here it's only about 2-3. Plenty of forums don't have ranks and if they do they're usually the size of an icon and not full sprites. Talkhaus and smwcentral are good examples, and there's plenty of others. Limiting the number of characters for a signature significantly could be another way of going about that; however, resizing the ranks would be chore and since they do nothing but increase post size they can really just be scrapped with no losses.

PixelPest
Raccoon Mario
Raccoon Mario

Postby PixelPest » Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:49 pm

Just because there are 2-3 posts on screen doesn't hurt your ability to read through them. I still don't see why this is an issue at all and how it wouldn't just cause more issues (like people complaining about a lack of signature space)

Return to “Site Discussion”