Let's bring back the newsletter

This forum is used to discuss topics, propose ideas, and ask questions relating to supermariobrosx.org.
Enjl
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg
Flair: Orphion Egamalenitar Osmos IV, Esq.

Let's bring back the newsletter

Postby Enjl » Sat Mar 07, 2020 6:04 pm

But let's have it less reliant on presenting something new each month/season. Not every month/season is new and exciting, but here's a few things that would make for good inclusions:
- A list of all newly released episodes since the last newsletter with a short description about team, length and version, enticing people to give it a try.
- A compilation of the top placements in the level of the month contests since the last release, with a link to each level thread. Top 3 or something.
- A lookout to any contests happening in the next period as per this thread. If no event is coming up, mention that, too. If something non-smbx like a smash or pokemon tourney is planned, mention that too.
- A review of any contests that concluded, to round that point out.
- A list of most promising episode concepts/newcomer highlights, encouraging people to check out new members' stuff and give a positive response (as per my idea here)
- A link to any news by the smbx2 team. Since we talk to each other this should be easy to manage if we slack off on blog posts again and you want something cool to show :p
- smwcentral does user interviews which might be a fun bonus, not as an essential part of each issue. Let newcomers learn more about older members. It's kind of like GDC for a bbq meetup.
- Highlights of anything extraordinary people may have missed, like the recent train of news coming from the cgfx pack thread. Goddamn!

I think even without anything staff has to put in outside of the compilation and short descriptions this could be a fun way to get something for everyone to look forward to. A cute little month/season in review that might make people who don't look everywhere more aware of what's going on around here. What do you think?
The ABC of Creation

FireyPaperMario
Peach
Peach
Flair: 90's kid born in late 1993 ^_^
Current Project: SEGA Genesis/Mega Drive GFXs
Chat Username: Shin FireyPaperMario

Re: Let's bring back the newsletter

Postby FireyPaperMario » Sat Mar 07, 2020 6:13 pm

Enjl wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 6:04 pm
Let newcomers learn more about older members. It's kind of like GDC for a bbq meetup.
Especially those older/veteran SMBX members who did nothing episode/level wise?

Chanceux2
Lakitu
Lakitu
Flair: People don't care about my threads! :(
Current Project: Super Toad Bros. X
Chat Username: Gamer of Studios

Postby Chanceux2 » Sat Mar 07, 2020 7:07 pm

FireyPaperMario wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 6:13 pm
Enjl wrote:
Let newcomers learn more about older members. It's kind of like GDC for a bbq meetup.
I'm obviously not new but young and need to learn more

cato
Ripper II
Ripper II
Flair: Creative, opinionated, but poor expression
Current Project: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing
Chat Username: Cato

Postby cato » Sun Mar 08, 2020 12:13 am

Enjl wrote:
- A list of all newly released episodes since the last newsletter with a short description about the team, length and version, enticing people to give it a try.
- A compilation of the top placements in the level of the month contests since the last release, with a link to each level thread. Top 3 or something.
- A lookout to any contests happening in the next period as per this thread. If no event is coming up, mention that, too.
- A review of any contests that concluded, to round that point out.
- A link to any news by the smbx2 team. Since we talk to each other this should be easy to manage if we slack off on blog posts again and you want something cool to show :p
- Highlights of anything extraordinary people may have missed, like the recent train of news coming from the gfx packthread. Goddamn!

I think even without anything staff has to put in outside of the compilation and short descriptions this could be a fun way to get something for everyone to look forward to. A cute little month/season in reviews that might make people who don't look everywhere more aware of what's going on around here. What do you think?
In a nutshell, revive the SMBX-World, SMBX-GFX, SMBX-Home and SMBX-Wiki.

Enjl
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg
Flair: Orphion Egamalenitar Osmos IV, Esq.

Postby Enjl » Sun Mar 08, 2020 1:39 am

FireyPaperMario wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 6:13 pm
Enjl wrote:
No, especially the ones who play an active role in the community and might have interesting bits of knowledge that might help new members learn more about designing in smbx. There could be questions about a veteran designer's workflow, for instance. I think older members who don't often make or design levels exist on the same end as the newcomers in this regard: more ready to learn and try instead of teach.
cato wrote:
Sun Mar 08, 2020 12:13 am

In a nutshell, revive the SMBX-World, SMBX-GFX, SMBX-Home and SMBX-Wiki.
I think you may have misunderstood the thread. These pages are in no way related to my suggestion and, even if that's supposed to be a counter suggestion, wouldn't do the job of the "month/season in review" nearly as well as a new post summarizing everything. The newsletter format allows people to find things they may have missed or not been looking for. The pages you suggest on the other hand only help people who know what theyre looking for. Especially the wiki.
The ABC of Creation

Aero
Palom
Palom
Flair: Pirate economy
Chat Username: aero

Postby Aero » Mon Mar 09, 2020 6:30 pm

I support bringing it back. It's a good idea. I think a team can be put together eventually after episode concept threads are brought into the Projects forum.
cato wrote: In a nutshell, revive the SMBX-World, SMBX-GFX, SMBX-Home and SMBX-Wiki.
Not quite what this thread is for, but those pages do need attention and I think they deserve their own thread for discussion at this point.

P4VL0VSKEY
Fighter Fly
Fighter Fly
Flair: Fortnite
Current Project: Better than doing Translation of SMBX

Postby P4VL0VSKEY » Thu Jul 02, 2020 4:31 pm

Well I think, that it can be cool

Cedur
Toad
Toad

Postby Cedur » Fri Jul 03, 2020 9:37 am

P4VL0VSKEY wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 4:31 pm

the first newsletter is already out, if you haven't observed.
More Supports: show

Still using the legacy editor? Get SMBX2 and PGE, it will improve your experience significantly. Here's why. And remember, Yoshis are tools to be used and discarded.

ShadowStarX (06/14/18) wrote: South Korea is easy deal

P4VL0VSKEY
Fighter Fly
Fighter Fly
Flair: Fortnite
Current Project: Better than doing Translation of SMBX

Postby P4VL0VSKEY » Fri Jul 03, 2020 11:04 am

Cedur wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 9:37 am
P4VL0VSKEY wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 4:31 pm

the first newsletter is already out, if you haven't observed.
Great! :)

Return to “Site Discussion”