Winter Contest: The Winner and the Runner-up

Official community level contests.
JupiHornet
Larry Koopa
Larry Koopa

Re: LC10 New Rule Will -1 Your Score if Broken, Read!!!

Postby JupiHornet » Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:20 am

Why do I know I'm gonna forget about the new rule and then drop from Tier 2 to Tier 1 ;___;
AeroMatter wrote: This post is ironic. These forums are ironic. My life is ironic.

If you want to talk to me, add me on Discord at JupiHornet#2897, or go to my Twitter page!
You can also check out my YouTube channel!
- PREVIOUSLY KNOWN AS TURTWIG -

bossedit8
Banned
Current Project: Airship Attack 2
Chat Username: <3 bossedit8 <3

Re: The Winter Contest (Level Contest 10)

Postby bossedit8 » Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:33 am

Turtwig wrote:Why do I know I'm gonna forget about the new rule and then drop from Tier 2 to Tier 1 ;___;
Valtteri wrote:(If you submitted already and didn't separate the graphics from the level, don't worry, I won't decrease your score since it wasn't a rule when you submitted)

RudeGuy
Luigi
Luigi
Flair: help
Current Project: a random smw hack
Chat Username: rudeguy

Postby RudeGuy » Thu Nov 27, 2014 12:30 pm

^ He haven't submitted his level.
Turtwig wrote:Why do I know I'm gonna forget about the new rule and then drop from Tier 2 to Tier 1 ;___;
Uhm... That's your fault.

Also, can I have my name changed to RudeGuy07? Thanks.
im bored

Paper
Birdo
Birdo

Postby Paper » Thu Nov 27, 2014 1:31 pm

Remember: ex-post-facto. You won't lose a point for making that mistake BEFORE the rule was announce, only after.
Steam:
Spoiler: show
YouTube Channel: Twitch Channel:

Kyo
Koopa Shell
Koopa Shell
Current Project: The Twilight Star

Postby Kyo » Thu Nov 27, 2014 4:40 pm

The score subtraction punishment is so stupid, though. The score is representing the overall opinion of the judges and shouldn't be used as a punishment. Instead of just ruining the victory, ruining the scores and making a level fall 15 ranks lower, you should just go ahead and disqualify those who didn't pay attention to the rules.

Or did you seriously think that -1 is some sort of mercy? It's worse than disqualification.

Waddle
Tellah
Tellah
Flair: The goblin uprising is upon us

Postby Waddle » Thu Nov 27, 2014 4:44 pm

Kyo wrote:The score subtraction punishment is so stupid, though. The score is representing the overall opinion of the judges and shouldn't be used as a punishment. Instead of just ruining the victory, ruining the scores and making a level fall 15 ranks lower, you should just go ahead and disqualify those who didn't pay attention to the rules.

Or did you seriously think that -1 is some sort of mercy? It's worse than disqualification.
Dont you find disqualification to be over the top?
I agree with kyo. Not following the rules has always been punished the same way. People should Just READ THE RULES for a start. If they don't, I also think they shouldn't participate.

Valtteri
Larry Koopa
Larry Koopa

Postby Valtteri » Thu Nov 27, 2014 4:47 pm

I don't see how -1 is worse than flat out shutting you out of the contest. And I'm certainly not gonna disqualify levels that don't end with a star for example, that would be stupid.

JupiHornet
Larry Koopa
Larry Koopa

Postby JupiHornet » Thu Nov 27, 2014 4:57 pm

Valtteri wrote:I don't see how -1 is worse than flat out shutting you out of the contest. And I'm certainly not gonna disqualify levels that don't end with a star for example, that would be stupid.
If an ok level gets, say, a 3/10 overall, and the creator forgot to take the lvl file out of the GFX folder, he might fall from Tier 2 to Tier 1 with joke levels and really bad ones. That's really not fair, maybe that person DID read the rules, but they forgot. That 1 point really adds up quickly. If you want to subtract points, don't take off such a large amount. I think 0.5 points is more balanced. Or just disqualify the person.
AeroMatter wrote: This post is ironic. These forums are ironic. My life is ironic.

If you want to talk to me, add me on Discord at JupiHornet#2897, or go to my Twitter page!
You can also check out my YouTube channel!
- PREVIOUSLY KNOWN AS TURTWIG -

SilverDeoxys563
Nipper Plant
Nipper Plant

Postby SilverDeoxys563 » Thu Nov 27, 2014 5:00 pm

I don't see what the big deal about forgetting is.

The thread title literally tells you what to do. It gets in your face. How is it even possible to forget to do it when the commandment is right there? You'd have to be outright disobeying the rule if it wasn't followed after it was instated.

No, I don't want to make any levels for this right now. Sorry.
ImageImage
<Ragont> as303298 the movie.wmmp
In these days, I feel particularly blessed, contented, thankful, and inspired to be Christian.

Please don't Steam message me after midnight, kthx.

silent_
Larry Koopa
Larry Koopa
Current Project: something

Postby silent_ » Thu Nov 27, 2014 5:01 pm

Am I the only dumbass here who has no idea on how to upload more than just a file?

Like how would I go about making one download contain a file, a .mp3, and a .lvl folder?

plz help im so stupid.
previously known as Kep

Valtteri
Larry Koopa
Larry Koopa

Postby Valtteri » Thu Nov 27, 2014 5:03 pm

Turtwig wrote:If an ok level gets, say, a 3/10 overall, and the creator forgot to take the lvl file out of the GFX folder, he might fall from Tier 2 to Tier 1 with joke levels and really bad ones. That's really not fair, maybe that person DID read the rules, but they forgot. That 1 point really adds up quickly. If you want to subtract points, don't take off such a large amount. I think 0.5 points is more balanced. Or just disqualify the person.
They should follow the rules.
Kep wrote:Am I the only dumbass here who has no idea on how to upload more than just a file?

Like how would I go about making one download contain a file, a .mp3, and a .lvl folder?

plz help im so stupid.
Put them in a .zip.

silent_
Larry Koopa
Larry Koopa

Postby silent_ » Thu Nov 27, 2014 5:11 pm

Valtteri wrote:
Kep wrote:Am I the only dumbass here who has no idea on how to upload more than just a file?

plz help im so stupid.
Put them in a .zip.
("lol" is not the name of my contest level btw, it was just an example)
previously known as Kep

SilverDeoxys563
Nipper Plant
Nipper Plant

Postby SilverDeoxys563 » Thu Nov 27, 2014 5:13 pm

plz help im so stupid.
oh hey I got Greninja'd
Ok, so basically, what you're going to want to do is select them all. Just gotta select em all.

...uh

Next you right click and find something like this:

I think you can figure out what to do from there.
Try .rar? I know Valtteri has WinRAR.
ImageImage
<Ragont> as303298 the movie.wmmp
In these days, I feel particularly blessed, contented, thankful, and inspired to be Christian.

Please don't Steam message me after midnight, kthx.

zioy
Ludwig von Koopa
Ludwig von Koopa
Current Project: life
Chat Username: zioy

Postby zioy » Thu Nov 27, 2014 5:15 pm

Kep wrote:
Valtteri wrote:

plz help im so stupid.
Put them in a .zip.
("lol" is not the name of my contest level btw, it was just an example)
You can't actually move things into .zips in the SMBX directory. Put the .zip on your desktop or something.

Danny
Mario
Mario
Chat Username: Syndrilevosse#3884

Postby Danny » Thu Nov 27, 2014 5:18 pm

Valtteri wrote:I don't see how -1 is worse than flat out shutting you out of the contest. And I'm certainly not gonna disqualify levels that don't end with a star for example, that would be stupid.
You disqualify them because they didn't read and follow the rules and guidelines. A -1 to their score is knocking them down the rankings and making their level look worse than it actually is. The scores are, like people have said, representations of the judges' opinion as a whole and aren't supposed to be used to punish users for not following the rules, it's honestly kind of stupid to do that, especially since this new rule in question has nothing to even remotely do with the level and should not lower somebody's score for whatever reason. I can see if a level doesn't end with a star that you could knock off a point, but if it has to do with file placement that can easily be fixed for Tower of Biased's sake, why knock off a point, which can do a lot to a level in this contest?

To be frank, the rules are getting stricter and kind of dumber, and to knock off points for breaking a rule, intentional or not, that has nothing to do with the level as a whole and would not influence a judge's opinion on the level, is kind of stupid in itself because it's simply unnecessary. If somebody repeatedly breaks a rule you can start DISQUALIFYING them instead of knocking off points, especially if that rule, and I repeat myself on this, has nothing to do with the level as a whole, and if you truly want that level to be in the Tower of Biased you can fix it all yourself since it's just two clicks. If you don't feel like taking two clicks to fix a common "mistake" among this community, them omit the level from the Tower of Biased instead of knocking a point off of the level's score.

Knocking a point off is worse than shutting you out of the contest because it can make your level out to be worse than it actually is since it got a lower score, but the fact that the judges' final score, which is their opinion, for the level has points deducted from it because somebody broke the rules and it's such a common "mistake" to begin with. I don't see why you brought up this rule after 10 level contests, and if it truly is that much of an annoyance how about you either omit those levels from Tower of Biased, disqualify the person from the contest, or just get rid of the rule entirely. I'm fairly certain the other level judges don't deduct points for doing this, and I certainly don't because I easily look over it and it doesn't bother me at all, if you really want to get into nitpicking to deduct points from people that aren't prim and proper how about you find something else to make a rule about because this is kind of ridiculous.
Valtteri wrote:
Turtwig wrote:If an ok level gets, say, a 3/10 overall, and the creator forgot to take the lvl file out of the GFX folder, he might fall from Tier 2 to Tier 1 with joke levels and really bad ones. That's really not fair, maybe that person DID read the rules, but they forgot. That 1 point really adds up quickly. If you want to subtract points, don't take off such a large amount. I think 0.5 points is more balanced. Or just disqualify the person.
They should follow the rules.
Yes, they should follow the rules, but after 10 long level contests you finally put up this "rule" and it's getting backlash because it's really dumb and can put somebody's level into the joke levels, which as far as I'm aware joke levels will be ignored entirely. Forgetting to move a .lvl file shouldn't impact your final score since you can easily fix it yourself if you're so inclined to make a rule about it only after you got half of the submissions. If you want to enforce the rules, you already told people how they should submit their level, if they don't follow that simple rule that was even given an image to show how it's done, disqualify the person instead of knocking a point off their level's final score. If somebody breaks two rules, intentional or not, their level could get knocked down severely and the final score of the judges will not make a single impact on the level since they'll just lose points anyway.
I used to be 8bitmushroom but not anymore.
If you need to get in contact with me, message me on Discord, or find me at SMW Central's Discord server where I moderate.

silent_
Larry Koopa
Larry Koopa

Postby silent_ » Thu Nov 27, 2014 5:27 pm

SilverDeoxys563 wrote:

plz help im so stupid.
oh hey I got Greninja'd
Ok, so basically, what you're going to want to do is select them all. Just gotta select em all.

...uh

Funny, 'cause I did exactly what you did earlier and still got that error message I showed Valtteri earlier.
previously known as Kep

zioy
Ludwig von Koopa
Ludwig von Koopa

Postby zioy » Thu Nov 27, 2014 5:28 pm

Kep wrote:
SilverDeoxys563 wrote:

plz help im so stupid.
oh hey I got Greninja'd

...uh

Funny, 'cause I did exactly what you did earlier and still got that error message I showed Valtteri earlier.
You were doing it in the SMBX directory. That's the difference.

silent_
Larry Koopa
Larry Koopa

Postby silent_ » Thu Nov 27, 2014 5:30 pm

krazykat wrote:You were doing it in the SMBX directory. That's the difference.
Tried it on my desktop, still got the same error message.
previously known as Kep

zioy
Ludwig von Koopa
Ludwig von Koopa

Postby zioy » Thu Nov 27, 2014 5:32 pm

Kep wrote:
krazykat wrote:You were doing it in the SMBX directory. That's the difference.
Tried it on my desktop, still got the same error message.
k don't mind me

MistakesWereMade
Boom Boom
Boom Boom

Postby MistakesWereMade » Thu Nov 27, 2014 5:35 pm

8bitmushroom wrote:-snip-
To be fair, if you don't follow the rules that are in the main thread, it's your fault, not the host's fault.

It's like saying that taking points off because someone is badly dressed in a singing contest is unfair, when it stated in the rules that you need to look presentable.

Return to “Level Contests”