Super Mario Legends: Part I (Complete)

Share your completed SMBX episodes or play and discuss others.
Aviici
Spiny
Spiny

Re: Super Mario Legends: Part I (Complete)

Postby Aviici » Fri Jan 02, 2015 10:16 pm

This patch fix the errors in the intro? (The error with Toad) and I enjoyed this episode, definitely this is the BEST project from de date, you really did a nice work (And your team I guess) :)
Visit the NSMBX forums!: http://nsmbxforums.prophpbb.com/
The NSMBX community is back!

SuperMario7
Ripper II
Ripper II
Current Project: Super Mario Legends Part I

Postby SuperMario7 » Sat Jan 03, 2015 7:33 am

Aviici: Thanks! It really means a lot how much you like this project. And the toad bug isn't really fixed, but I told users in the opening message that they needed to be playing in 1 player mode for that level. I know it still doesn't solve the problem for people like you who don't speak English and play co-op, but it's the best solution I could come up with.
Check out my current project that I am making with DarkMecha!

Gameinsky
Pokey
Pokey

Postby Gameinsky » Sat Jan 03, 2015 7:57 am

You could reskin link into toad, but that would feel very weird gameplay wise. That's the only other solution I can think off.
You found my hidden signature... OH NO!

SuperMario7
Ripper II
Ripper II

Postby SuperMario7 » Sat Jan 03, 2015 8:16 am

Oh yeah, that would work. But I agree that that would be really strange gameplay wise, plus I don't have the patience to make that sprite just for 30 seconds of gameplay. :/

Gameinsky
Pokey
Pokey

Postby Gameinsky » Sat Jan 03, 2015 9:00 am

I just played interstellar adventure and noticed that there was a water section missing in the area with the 4th dragon coin.
Not sure if that was fixed in the last version (I doubt it since you said that the patch doesn't do a lot)
Quite a big shame, I was doing so well and I really liked the level for how much it did.
For clarification it's
Spoiler: show
I don't see any arrows pointing down and judging from the level design, there's supposed to be water there.
(In this screen there is water because I fixed the issue myself before taking the picture)

Also this might be considered nitpicking because while it's at the end of the episode, the difficulty spike is quite staggering.
For such a huge level having the last two sections be lava chase sequences seems a bit too much too expect from the player.
[edit]
found another typo "you may have escape"
Last edited by Gameinsky on Sat Jan 03, 2015 9:17 am, edited 3 times in total.

SuperMario7
Ripper II
Ripper II

Postby SuperMario7 » Sat Jan 03, 2015 9:15 am

Holy crap, I just played through the level and I know what you mean. (I thought you were talking about something else before, so if you saw my last post, sorry. I deleted it right after I saw the error you were talking about.) That is a HUGE error, thanks for pointing that out. It was fine before, but when I was doing some final fixing after my final playthrough, I must have deleted the water by accident. Here's the fixed version:

https://www.mediafire.com/?by11b51w3kd6vjt

Or if you already downloaded the episode, replace this with the existing file: https://www.mediafire.com/?ctfczthk8a6295o

Edit: I saw your updated post, Gameinsky. I know the difficulty is pretty hard in that level. It was even harder, but I made it a little easier. So I'm probably not going to minimize the difficulty anymore than I already did. I will fix the other error you mentioned, though.

Waddle
Tellah
Tellah
Flair: The goblin uprising is upon us

Postby Waddle » Sun Jan 04, 2015 12:21 pm

I just finished Vicious Volcano, and I gotta say: I LOVE this episode! so much effort was put into every single one of your levels. Well done. But, I also have some tiny flaws to point out: In vicious volcano, the galoombas death effect has no mask. Secondly, the doors in that same level have no opening/closing animation. Last, (though this is just my opinion) as much as I like the random castles spread through that level, I think it's weird the outside is brown but the inside is gray. Overall, extremely well done, and I can't wait for part 2!

SuperMario7
Ripper II
Ripper II

Postby SuperMario7 » Sun Jan 04, 2015 1:43 pm

Thanks for your comment Waddle Derp! It was both encouraging and helpful. I fixed all the bugs you mentioned, so those should be gone when I release the next patch.

zlaker
Ludwig von Koopa
Ludwig von Koopa

Postby zlaker » Sun Jan 04, 2015 4:14 pm

I'm happy to see this finally getting released. This will definitely occupy me when I'm not busy as I am now ;)
Can't wait for Part 2 of Super Mario Legends! I bet it's gonna be great as Part 1.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
I make art lol

SuperMario7
Ripper II
Ripper II

Postby SuperMario7 » Mon Jan 05, 2015 8:28 pm

Thanks zlakergirl357! Hope you enjoy this when you find time to play it.

Also, thank you staff for featuring this! I really appreciate it.

Shinbison-Kof
Lakitu
Lakitu

Postby Shinbison-Kof » Tue Jan 06, 2015 5:13 am

Wow, this is really a awesome episode, the levels are really fun, i love the graphics that you selected, and has a nice gimmicks, everything is great. I like the difficulty of the levels. I saw few errors in some levels, as soon as I can will comment about few errors. I really like play this. Great work! :D

↓↓ Hey! Check my new episode! Thanks :) ↓↓

Reign
Ripper II
Ripper II
Current Project: Yet untitled.

Postby Reign » Tue Jan 06, 2015 6:14 am

The flowers that rise from the pipes kind of annoy me in level 4! How are you supposed to get past them without getting hit? There are no shells or anything around and there's no way to run fast enough to jump over them before they are fully out. Guess I'm just missing something.
Episodes released:

ReadM
Shy Guy
Shy Guy

Postby ReadM » Tue Jan 06, 2015 10:29 am

Yeah, so did I :)

There are vegetables that you can toss at them.. have a closer look at the ground :)

Anyways, I completed the episode a few days ago. I just wanna to thank you guys for the awesome episode, it was a joy to play it.

Aviici
Spiny
Spiny

Postby Aviici » Tue Jan 06, 2015 1:40 pm

Congratulations SuperMario7 you get the featured! (We will know that this will hapen anyway) I'll try to record this but I'm having some technical problems with my computer, Do you working in the part 2 on this moment? :)
Visit the NSMBX forums!: http://nsmbxforums.prophpbb.com/
The NSMBX community is back!

SuperMario7
Ripper II
Ripper II

Postby SuperMario7 » Tue Jan 06, 2015 7:27 pm

Shinbison-Kof: Thanks! I'm very happy you like the episode.

Reign: Yeah, as ReadM said, you need to get the vegetables on the ground and kill the piranhas with those. Maybe I'll make a sign explaining that in the next beta.

ReadM: Thank you too! I really appreciate your nice comment.

Aviici: Thanks! If you end up recording, send me a link to the video if you want. It would be fun to watch. And yes, I'm working on Part II now. One level is complete, and another has some decent progress. I'll post a topic for that within the next couple weeks, I think.

Lx Xzit
Lakitu
Lakitu

Postby Lx Xzit » Tue Jan 06, 2015 7:55 pm

I am very happy that a project has taken so long as this is finally completed, I enjoy the beta versions and the final version, each level was well worked, they had a nice and decent variation, the design in my opinion was perfect! the graphs of all levels were also very good and the gameplay was fun! I played these levels around 5 times and yet I still looks funny! was an honor to work in such a beautiful episode as beta tester and level designer, also I have wanted to see the next part, I would like to record a video of this but unfortunately my time is very limited, just this project will enjoy it from start to finish, it is the best of all time in my opinion! And congratuulations for get the feature.

Gameinsky
Pokey
Pokey

Postby Gameinsky » Tue Jan 06, 2015 9:48 pm

I guess I could review this. I didn't play it 100%, but I have seen pretty much all of it.
It's my first time reviewing an episode, just thought I'd say that.
Contains a few spoilers, so unless you have played level 10 or want to be spoiled, I would skip reading this.

Presentation: (20%)
The episode starts out with a pseudo-cutscene. Which wasn't really needed, but added to the game.
This episode is full of such things. Tiny details that add on to it. You don't even start in peach castle, but rather make your way from your own house to it.
Which is a subtle effort towards character development (Mario has a house, and doesn't just appear in Peach's castle).
While this castle is definitely not the most impressive one, it only contains what's essential to have. Allowing players to get on with the gameplay pretty much immediately.
Having a quick overview of which stars you have is also a good feature.

The world map is really good and has quite a bit of variety. It's split into two segments, and I have to say that the latter wasn't expected.
The fact that you unlock characters as you progress allowed the creators to add secondary passageways that lead to different pathways.
This makes going through the overworld faster which is a really small, but really nice thing to have.

There are a few minor things that seem off, though.
At malicious molten cave the theme of SMW bowser's valley plays whilst the overworld still looks like normal grassland. That can't be right.
There were still unused tiles so this issue could have been averted. It is a very minor one, however.
This episode managed to somehow make me think it was smaller than it actually was. I kept getting hit by surprise after surprise. One of which being the final 3 levels.

Overall this episode has really good presentation, sucking you right into it.
But the hubworlds (towns, castle etc.) feel a bit small compared to everything else.

Final verdict: 17/20

Design: (30%)
The levels have amazing design. There's a lot of variety and the same level theme won't appear more than once.
It is clear that a lot of effort went into this.
Pretty much every level had near to flawless design. But it looked as if the first level was made in a completely different era compared to the other ones.
A lot of custom graphics were used, but it never felt as if the creators went overboard. They still used some of the vanilla sprites which is nice.
Scenery placement was great and every level is pretty much eyecandy.
I would say the quality was at its highest around thorny forest (so most of the levels that came just before and after it).

I guess I should comment on the world map too, in terms of design.
It looks great. The mushroom kingdom is portrayed as nice fluent world with all of its different parts (beach, jungle etc.) and it all looks really nice.
I am however distinctively surprised about the lack of sand tiles in the beach area.
Malicious molten cave had a few problems with springboards shooting me into lava ceilings as well; which wasn't very nice.
And yes, while there was a lot of effort put into the space levels (spoilers?) the lightning looks quite bland compared to the rest. Especially for how much it was used.

Overall I would say that the design is top notch, and very deserving of a rating of 26/30

Gameplay: (40%)
The first two levels aren't particularly great, but from there on it skyrockets mile high into the air.
Every level was enjoyable and there is a lot of variety.
You're in a forest world, here's a cave, here is a beehive, here is a bayou... And every level has completely different gameplay and gimmicks.
My least favourite levels personally were the cave ones, but they are still really enjoyable, which says quite a lot.
Some of the gimmicks formed the basis of entire segment of levels, like minecart rides; bee costume and rocket shoes.
My main issue with the minecart and rocket shoe is that they always appear at the end of the level, ready to punish people that want to go for all dragon coins. Forcing you to restart if you die or mess up.
But luckily the other levels made it fairly difficult to screw up trying to get the dragon coins. (Aside from dying)
There's also a hidden star in every level, and they're pretty easy to find usually. And decently challenging, but I didn't have any issue with any of them.
Except for... Malicious molten cave, where it's pretty much impossible to get it for first time players, since the level guides you straight into the goal.
Forcing people to replay an entire level isn't something you usually want to do.
A minor issue with the episode is the lack of secrets. It has a pretty much entirely linear progression and there's only a single secret in every hub level.

Difficulty scaling is fairly consistent. The first level is really easy, but adds a few rewards for more capable players, which marks great design.
Most of my early deaths were the result of lagspikes, but I don't think they were caused by the episode rather than SMBX itself.
The difficult ramps up at wiggler woods, at which point you should be good enough to take these levels on.
And then there's a weird jump downwards, as you enter Thwomp Caverns where everything is milder again.
Afterwards the difficulty scales decently for the next 3 levels.
But then there is a very harsh difficulty spike in the space levels (spoiler, again?).
A level that felt like it was way too long, followed by a level where you have to balance jumps on floating enemies in lava tunnels.
You usually don't want to put the hardest part of the level at the end, especially when the level in question is long.
Players tend to be a bit tired of the level at that point, which can discourage people to finish the level.
It is more excusable because they're the final two levels, but it's still a harsh difficulty spike.
With all that aside though, they are amazing levels. Especially interstellar adventure.
Splitting that level into two levels would have definitely not been a bad idea however.

There's also 4 additional levels hidden in Peach's castle. They are quite good as well, but don't hold up towards the actual levels.
And some of them show signs of insufficient testing (I got stuck in one of the desert levels after going through a pathway of platforms).
But they do offer 12 extra stars, in case getting the stars necessary for entering Lunaria (spoiler?) proves too difficult using only the overworld levels.

All in all the levels were very fun, and only the last 3 levels annoyed me a bit (Molten cave for springboard into lava ceiling and interstellar adventure for its length)
33/40

Story: (5%)
The story isn't your "Peach is kidnapped, save us!" cliché. And that already makes it stand out.
The new character, Choofungus, makes for an interesting villain. But his reasoning being because of child bullying (spoiler?) isn't the most original either.
He does get things done and is definitely not prone to making mistakes easily, which is nice. The Character development of the episode was one of the better parts of the story.
And I really admire the episode for that.
Sadly some of the dialogue didn't feel as polished as the rest of the episode. (especially in the epilogue, and grandpa Yoshi) And a bit more could have been done there towards Peach.
It seems quite obvious that the creator really wanted to get this episode done with at that point, which makes sense.

Overal, the story gets a 4/5 from me.

Music: (5%)
The music choice was great and spanned a diverse range of games.
None of the music felt like it didn't fit the level it was used in, and they all added to the characteristics of each level.
There's not much more to say here.

5/5

Conclusion:
This is a fantastic episode that everyone should try. The difficulty scales nicely, the presentation is excellent and almost every level is pure bliss to go through.
It also has a decent amount of replayability (bonus levels, getting all the stars etc.)
Its big issues are the harsh difficulty spike at the end and a few anomalies here and there (SMW bowser valley music on grassland world :O) and lack of secret content, which makes it a more linear episode.

17 + 26 + 33 + 4 + 5 = 85/100

SuperMario7
Ripper II
Ripper II

Postby SuperMario7 » Tue Jan 06, 2015 10:30 pm

Dark Mecha: Thanks! It really means a lot when you say this is your favorite projects, I really appreciate that.

Thank you for the review! It was incredibly helpful for me, and I'll definitely take your suggestions into consideration when preparing for the next patch. Also, that was really good for your first review.

bossedit8
Banned
Current Project: Airship Attack 2
Chat Username: <3 bossedit8 <3

Postby bossedit8 » Wed Jan 07, 2015 11:45 am

Well, so far while adventuring new Worlds after I take care of the secret Exit in Peach's Castle I have to say this. So far, I really like the whole Design Choicements and differency of the Platforming Game like not only focusing to the actual Platforming but also with flying with your Blue Lakitu's Shoe on a limited Movement through obstacles in one of the Levels. This surely was a Nice Idea... except for the fact that if you die once you have to recollect all of the Dragon Coins if you don't have that kind of Star yet from this Level. To say you this, I did record the whole Game up to the Place after Peach's Castle's Secret Exit and one of the Bonus Levels that was in. Speaking of the Bonus Levels, it isn't adviseable to add a Checkpoint there since it doesn't work what so ever if another Level has been connected like that. Either have the Level on the World Map or just remove the Checkpoint all together or else it can lead it up to confusion if it is not working like that. More Info is coming up. If the Video has been finished uploaded and set it up by the Descriptions, it will be revealed on this Topic so be prepared!

Edit: Here it is:

Original Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Fzvg-oaTbQ

SuperMario7
Ripper II
Ripper II

Postby SuperMario7 » Wed Jan 07, 2015 3:03 pm

Thank you for your comment bossedit8! I'll remove the checkpoints in the bonus levels for the next patch as you suggested. Also, I will enjoy watching your video playthrough. I appreciate you making it.

Return to “Episodes”