Explosive Valley

Levels that have good quality and are worth playing.
Man1234FK
Hoopster
Hoopster
Current Project: Making random levels and levels for projects!

Explosive Valley

Postby Man1234FK » Thu Feb 19, 2015 5:34 pm

Yay a new level! I've been really busy with IRL stuff but now i got the time to finish a level. So this one uses bob-ombs a lot, i don't think i used the bob-ombs as a gimmick to it's full extent but it's okay :D

Download Link:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/0bnkc0cwkxm3v ... 9.zip?dl=0

!! Updates !!
-Secret exit is now easier to get to
-No bonus power ups, just coins.

Screenshots!
Spoiler: show
Credits for the GFX are in the folder! (I'm not sure who made the gfx for the star in the level so if you know please tell me!)

Thanks to Turtwig and Imaynotbehere4long for reviewing the level, much appreciated!

(Also thanks to Emral for coming up with the name, i had a really hard time with it :D)
Last edited by Man1234FK on Mon Feb 23, 2015 9:44 am, edited 3 times in total.
50% Gamer 50% Trying to being an actor 100% Idiot.

"Everything not saved will be lost" -The quit screen message.

Youtube Channel, ThinkCreativeStudio: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6X-hN ... rvaC6WTjzQ videos are mainly sketch comedy! (in Finnish though)

Stuff i support:
ImageImageImageImage

JupiHornet
Larry Koopa
Larry Koopa

Re: Explosive Valley

Postby JupiHornet » Thu Feb 19, 2015 11:00 pm

Level downloaded, review should come tomorrow
AeroMatter wrote: This post is ironic. These forums are ironic. My life is ironic.

If you want to talk to me, add me on Discord at JupiHornet#2897, or go to my Twitter page!
You can also check out my YouTube channel!
- PREVIOUSLY KNOWN AS TURTWIG -

Man1234FK
Hoopster
Hoopster

Postby Man1234FK » Fri Feb 20, 2015 12:39 am

Turtwig wrote:Level downloaded, review should come tomorrow
Awesome! Thanks :)

Youtube Channel, ThinkCreativeStudio: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6X-hN ... rvaC6WTjzQ videos are mainly sketch comedy! (in Finnish though)

Stuff i support:
ImageImageImageImage

JupiHornet
Larry Koopa
Larry Koopa

Postby JupiHornet » Fri Feb 20, 2015 11:49 am

UNOFFICIAL REVIEW of EXPLOSIVE VALLEY by MAN1234FK

Well...
10/10
DUDE. This is prbably one of the best levels I have ever played. It was very easy and basic, but also introduced lots of new elements and the design was very clever overall. It's sort of like a mini version of "Gearworks Greenery." The part where you step on a certain location and a whole path opens up (sort of like in NSMBWii) was very well implemented, and I have never seen it before in SMBX. I also loved how you hid the secret star, underwater and underneath bricks. Easy to find, hard to get to. The level also looked nice and was a very relaxing ride. It was by FAR your best work as of yet. Amazing! :D
AeroMatter wrote: This post is ironic. These forums are ironic. My life is ironic.

If you want to talk to me, add me on Discord at JupiHornet#2897, or go to my Twitter page!
You can also check out my YouTube channel!
- PREVIOUSLY KNOWN AS TURTWIG -

Man1234FK
Hoopster
Hoopster

Postby Man1234FK » Fri Feb 20, 2015 12:05 pm

Turtwig wrote:UNOFFICIAL REVIEW of EXPLOSIVE VALLEY by MAN1234FK

Well...
10/10
DUDE. This is prbably one of the best levels I have ever played. It was very easy and basic, but also introduced lots of new elements and the design was very clever overall. It's sort of like a mini version of "Gearworks Greenery." The part where you step on a certain location and a whole path opens up (sort of like in NSMBWii) was very well implemented, and I have never seen it before in SMBX. I also loved how you hid the secret star, underwater and underneath bricks. Easy to find, hard to get to. The level also looked nice and was a very relaxing ride. It was by FAR your best work as of yet. Amazing! :D
Thank you so much! I'm very, very happy that you liked it! :)

Stuff i support:
ImageImageImageImage

Imaynotbehere4long
Kamikaze Koopa
Kamikaze Koopa
Current Project: Chaotic Culmination: Universe Rescuer

Postby Imaynotbehere4long » Sun Feb 22, 2015 8:09 pm

Turtwig wrote:The part where you step on a certain location and a whole path opens up (sort of like in NSMBWii) was very well implemented, and I have never seen it before in SMBX.
http://www.supermariobrosx.org/forums/v ... =64&t=7737

Anyway, my review:

This is certainly a neat level. It's pretty much just an average Basic Grass Level, except there are certain areas where SMB3 Bob-ombs can be used to blow up bricks and access secrets. Sure, it may not be anything too special, but it's implemented well for the most part. However, there are a few problems with the level. First of all, there isn't enough indication for the first fake wall; you should have the blocks curve away from the indentation at the bottom like the others (one unit should be enough). Second, due to the Bob-omb generator above the lake beside the halfway-point, it's really easy to blow up the bricks above the pipe that leads to the secret star's section for what's supposed to be, you know, a secret. I recommend removing that generator and forcing the player to use a bomb from the Show 3 generator; it's a bit tricky to blow the bricks up like that, but possible, and much easier to do than blow up the bricks in front of the pipe in Section 8 leading to the key and keyhole (so don't try and argue that you wanted the secrets to be easy to reach). Due to the various Piranha Plants in between the Bob-ombs and the bricks combined with the placement of the sizable at the end of that section make it extremely difficult to blow up those bricks without taking damage. Even if you intended for the bricks to be destroyed with the Koopa shell, that section is designed so that first time players will use the Koopa's shell to destroy the bricks blocking the Ace coin. On top of that, the bricked-pipe isn't visible from anywhere besides the end of that section, so first-time players won't even know that there are bricks to blow up in the first place, almost guaranteeing that they will have to play the level a second time (at least) to reach the key/keyhole exit; at least allow the player to see the bricked-pipe from where the Ace coin is. On a minor note, the mushroom in Section 2 is accessible right after the first ? block power-up, and it's a bit annoying when the second power-up is guaranteed to be a basic mushroom.

Summary:
GOOD:
-Graphics aren't terrible.
-Music fits the level well.
-Bomb-able blocks' implementation is well done for the most part.
-Block placement is done well.

BAD:
-First fake wall is unintuitive.
-Super-easy-to-reach secret contrasted with a really-difficult-to-reach secret (Koopa shell excepted).
-The bricks blocking the key/keyhole exit are nigh impossible to blow up.
-The second power-up is a mushroom.

In conclusion: It's a pretty good level overall; the bombs are implemented relatively well, but it's nothing that will blow you away. I'd say this deserves a 7/10.
I've decided to cancel SMBXville Under Seige. After my 1st Senior year of college, I realized I wouldn't have enough time to devote to finishing my four-level episode. Apologies to those who cared.
My favorite quote on the entire forum:
mechamind wrote:
AeroMatter wrote:People who think "autistic" is an adjective and not a verb.
You autistic some people so much with that statement.
My SMBX portfolio:
(includes a Sonic 3D Blast styled level.)
SOMEONE ANSWER MY CRY FOR HELP: http://www.supermariobrosx.org/forums/v ... =69&t=2026

Man1234FK
Hoopster
Hoopster

Postby Man1234FK » Mon Feb 23, 2015 6:35 am

Imaynotbehere4long wrote:
Turtwig wrote:The part where you step on a certain location and a whole path opens up (sort of like in NSMBWii) was very well implemented, and I have never seen it before in SMBX.
http://www.supermariobrosx.org/forums/v ... =64&t=7737

Anyway, my review:

This is certainly a neat level. It's pretty much just an average Basic Grass Level, except there are certain areas where SMB3 Bob-ombs can be used to blow up bricks and access secrets. Sure, it may not be anything too special, but it's implemented well for the most part. However, there are a few problems with the level. First of all, there isn't enough indication for the first fake wall; you should have the blocks curve away from the indentation at the bottom like the others (one unit should be enough). Second, due to the Bob-omb generator above the lake beside the halfway-point, it's really easy to blow up the bricks above the pipe that leads to the secret star's section for what's supposed to be, you know, a secret. I recommend removing that generator and forcing the player to use a bomb from the Show 3 generator; it's a bit tricky to blow the bricks up like that, but possible, and much easier to do than blow up the bricks in front of the pipe in Section 8 leading to the key and keyhole (so don't try and argue that you wanted the secrets to be easy to reach). Due to the various Piranha Plants in between the Bob-ombs and the bricks combined with the placement of the sizable at the end of that section make it extremely difficult to blow up those bricks without taking damage. Even if you intended for the bricks to be destroyed with the Koopa shell, that section is designed so that first time players will use the Koopa's shell to destroy the bricks blocking the Ace coin. On top of that, the bricked-pipe isn't visible from anywhere besides the end of that section, so first-time players won't even know that there are bricks to blow up in the first place, almost guaranteeing that they will have to play the level a second time (at least) to reach the key/keyhole exit; at least allow the player to see the bricked-pipe from where the Ace coin is. On a minor note, the mushroom in Section 2 is accessible right after the first ? block power-up, and it's a bit annoying when the second power-up is guaranteed to be a basic mushroom.

Summary:
GOOD:
-Graphics aren't terrible.
-Music fits the level well.
-Bomb-able blocks' implementation is well done for the most part.
-Block placement is done well.

BAD:
-First fake wall is unintuitive.
-Super-easy-to-reach secret contrasted with a really-difficult-to-reach secret (Koopa shell excepted).
-The bricks blocking the key/keyhole exit are nigh impossible to blow up.
-The second power-up is a mushroom.

In conclusion: It's a pretty good level overall; the bombs are implemented relatively well, but it's nothing that will blow you away. I'd say this deserves a 7/10.
Thank you! I'll fix most of the flaws ASAP and i'll probably just remove the second power up because if it's a fire flower it'll make the level even easier.

Stuff i support:
ImageImageImageImage

bossedit8
Banned
Current Project: Airship Attack 2
Chat Username: <3 bossedit8 <3

Postby bossedit8 » Mon Feb 23, 2015 9:10 am

You know, alone the Name Title called "Explosive Valley" makes me really curious as of how this Level has to offer because for some strange reason, not that many People uses those Bomb obstacles anymore but mostly mainly for Boss fights for whatever reason. Currently as I see it Looks very interesting and so on so sooner or later if I have my Video Uploads planned out, you will get a playthrough of this Level. You only Need to wait until everything is ready.

Man1234FK
Hoopster
Hoopster

Postby Man1234FK » Mon Feb 23, 2015 9:25 am

bossedit8 wrote:You know, alone the Name Title called "Explosive Valley" makes me really curious as of how this Level has to offer because for some strange reason, not that many People uses those Bomb obstacles anymore but mostly mainly for Boss fights for whatever reason. Currently as I see it Looks very interesting and so on so sooner or later if I have my Video Uploads planned out, you will get a playthrough of this Level. You only Need to wait until everything is ready.
Thanks a lot, Boss!

Stuff i support:
ImageImageImageImage

Return to “Pretty Good”