The Invasion 3: Shadow Star

This is where we'll store the "best" topics that have ever existed on the forums, as well as community events that are no longer relevant. Read at your own risk.
Forum rules
Read at your own risk.
Horikawa Otane
Lakitu
Lakitu

Re: The Invasion 3: Shadow Star

Postby Horikawa Otane » Sat Mar 28, 2015 4:26 am

FanofSMBX wrote:Okay, there's some things I need to address with this project, and some of them have nothing at all to do with lunadll.

1. No lunadll - okay, look guys I respect anyone who decides to not have lunadll anything in their own personal project. You may not think this but I'm not really mad anymore. I'm afraid I can't extend that to The Invasion 3. What was the main difference between Invasion 1 and 2? The new stuff that made the old game so much different despite the same general themes and remade levels. Well, in my opinion, you have to do that to make a convincing case for a "TI3". Space levels. Different projectiles for enemies/bosses. More autoscrolling sections. Changed Boss HP. Cutscenes without the status bar (note: making a black space where the status bar is does not look good) Even a level where everything acts like it's underwater except for YOU. All these things are easy enough for me to do, and I'm rather unmotivated as it is, so you just know anyone else on this project can do it. Do you know how awesome this could be? "The Water Is A Lie Again", epic Invasion levels, a Pwnhammer level on the surface of Zebes. I know you can make good level design without Luna anything, but this isn't a level design episode. It's The Invasion 3. Bonus: this will take a lot less time for me to download if you use the .ogg music extensions

2. !Throwing out the old levels - I don't get why you guys would do this. What was wrong with them? Also, you know how they used a lot of completely custom stuff?*!Valtteri replacing it with "MARIO ALL STARS WITH SLOPES!!!" leaves a sour taste in my mouth. Valtteri made 3 and a half projects so far like that, discounting remakes. It's in the same "of course he'd do that" boat like if Legend Tony made "Return to Return to Yoshi's Island: All SMB3 Edition". It's not only removing the old levels but doing the opposite, that seems a little disrespectful.

3. The Name - like I said, I don't know if I have faith in this without LunaDLL features to come off as "wow! new!" Like the old one. If you don't want that, well, it doesn't have to be the invasion 3. Also the shadow star part: I'll respect Kley's privacy and not say anything specific, but calling this game "Shadow Star" is like calling NGCA "New Super Mario Star Expedition". The game structures don't seem similar at all.

You guys may think I'm complaining too much, but in my mind, if The Invasion 3 isn't something to want to be the best it can, then what is?
* okay I got this wrong. Sorry. My point about Valtteri still stands.
As someone who has had to deal with balancing LunaLua in MaGL X2 rather extensively... It sort of depends on how much work you're willing to put into the project. It can make things messy. LunaLua is very much a WIP Beta with features being added all the time. What you have to decide when you make a new thing is exactly which version of LunaLua you're using and stick with it. If you ever update, you have to test former levels that used LunaLua again to make sure they still work. I was willing to do this for MaGL X2 because I want the final product to be as unique and spectacular as possible, but it IS a lot more work.

Still, if someone was willing to decide on a specific version of LunaLua to use, ensure all people are using that to develop, and resist the temptation to update to get delicious new features, it'd be pretty manageable. However, it'd require debugging Lua code when things went wrong! It sort of requires your collaborators know programming, which can be a bit rough.

I also think using LunaLua is distinctly feasible for a project as small as The Invasion 3, even with updates. Unless you're aiming for hundreds of levels, which I somewhat doubt, I think you'd be fine!

Also, are you accepting levels? I'd be willing to submit something if you'll have me.

mariofan 64
Blooper
Blooper
Current Project: stuff in rpg maker and arc 1 of mario videos

Postby mariofan 64 » Sat Mar 28, 2015 10:23 am

I wish to contribute a level too. It is a community project, right? When is the last date for submissions?
I has youtube now...with some activity :D

Projects: Infinite Mario Bros. For PGE (On the PGE Website, of course) (temp hiatus for other projects, see second link in spoiler for details)
----------RPG games, not related to Mario at all :/
----------A ???? game made in Gamemaker.

Completed: Schedules, Plans, Pages, And Other Things

Processing...Processing...Completed. See message below:
Spoiler: show
Mario Infinity: Quest to Stabilize the World (WIP)
http://engine.wohlnet.ru/forum/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=568
FACEBOOKS:
https://www.facebook.com/EBTKSPaddy
MAI PATREON:
https://www.patreon.com/ebtkspaddy
MAH FRIEND'S YOUTUBES WHERE ME AND MAH FRIEND'S ARE AT:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCRoSEH ... rVJdozjwUA

RudeGuy
Luigi
Luigi
Flair: help
Current Project: a random smw hack
Chat Username: rudeguy

Postby RudeGuy » Sat Mar 28, 2015 1:22 pm

mariofan 64 wrote:It is a community project, right?
It isn't a community project, it's a level designer project, meaning the level designers will make all the levels (apart for those which were submitted from the community in the past), as stated in the OP:
Valtteri wrote:The Invasion 3 returns as a level designer project! Red Yoshi and I will be leading it.
im bored

FanofSMBX
Bowser
Bowser

Postby FanofSMBX » Sat Mar 28, 2015 1:41 pm

Horikawa: eh, I don't mean A2XT where it's overloaded with code for some levels. You see that cutscene where there's still the HUD bits? What I was thinking of was small things like removing that. Stuff that wasn't hard to do, but that there was really no excuse to not do since you can.

I believe in Jesus Christ as my Lord and Savior. If you do, put this in your signature.
My graphics pack!
Supporting forums:

SMBX Galaxy forum by Pivot40Channel
http://smbxgalaxy.prophpbb.com/
Come to the SMBX+ forums by illias3000. There is a whole forum category dedicated to the boss rush series with official rushes, submit bosses, and fan boss rushes! It is still open but AirSeus Forums is now open:
http://nsmbx.prophpbb.com/
AirSeus Forums the new home of the Boss Rush series:
http://smbxairseusforums.prophpbb.com/
First to discover:
Spark
Eerie
Grinder
Rainbow Shell
Birdo
Boom Boom
KINGBOWSER112 RULES!

SnifitGuy
Birdo
Birdo

Postby SnifitGuy » Thu Apr 02, 2015 7:48 pm

FanofSMBX wrote:Horikawa: eh, I don't mean A2XT where it's overloaded with code for some levels. You see that cutscene where there's still the HUD bits? What I was thinking of was small things like removing that. Stuff that wasn't hard to do, but that there was really no excuse to not do since you can.
FanofSMBX, it's good that you'd like to see something new in TI3, but the truth is that they won't do it. No matter how hard you try, you won't convince them to use LunaLua, as it is far too unstable as Horikawa has stated, and let's face it; SMBX doesn't need LunaLua to be all that amazing. As other people have said, stop with your obsession with LunaDLL/Lua.

Horikawa Otane
Lakitu
Lakitu

Postby Horikawa Otane » Sun Apr 05, 2015 5:34 pm

SnifitGuy wrote:
FanofSMBX wrote:Horikawa: eh, I don't mean A2XT where it's overloaded with code for some levels. You see that cutscene where there's still the HUD bits? What I was thinking of was small things like removing that. Stuff that wasn't hard to do, but that there was really no excuse to not do since you can.
FanofSMBX, it's good that you'd like to see something new in TI3, but the truth is that they won't do it. No matter how hard you try, you won't convince them to use LunaLua, as it is far too unstable as Horikawa has stated, and let's face it; SMBX doesn't need LunaLua to be all that amazing. As other people have said, stop with your obsession with LunaDLL/Lua.
I'm not sure 'unstable' is the right word for it. It's 'in flux.' It's remarkably not buggy, actually.

John The White Yoshi
Koopa Shell
Koopa Shell

Postby John The White Yoshi » Mon Apr 06, 2015 12:17 pm

I don't know what's going on with Red Yoshi, because I think I've been seeing him play Terraria lately, so that leave Valtteri, who I believe is still on duty. So....if both are busy with work/other things, who leading this project FULL time?

Mable
Peach
Peach
Current Project: Account soon to be deleted
Chat Username: Account soon to be d

Postby Mable » Mon Apr 06, 2015 5:33 pm

Iirc progress goes further when Valtteri is back.

BlazingZtar755
Rex
Rex

Postby BlazingZtar755 » Sat Apr 11, 2015 10:11 pm

Invasion 3? people have been hyping this since forever.
Keep moving, nothing to see here. I'm practically a dead user at this point.

Derp Herp
Cheep-Cheep
Cheep-Cheep

Postby Derp Herp » Sun Apr 12, 2015 12:15 pm

Those screenshots look beautiful. As someone who's been playing SMBX since 1.2, seeing all these levels I've been familiar with for years given a huge graphical makeover almost brings a tear to my eye.

Erik
Nipper Plant
Nipper Plant
Current Project: none
Chat Username: Ludwig

Postby Erik » Sun Apr 12, 2015 3:35 pm

I like the looks of the screenshots, how is your progress?

BlazingZtar755
Rex
Rex

Postby BlazingZtar755 » Mon Apr 13, 2015 3:56 pm

Fans: WE WANT THE INVASION 3! People who are working on this: *show invasion 3 W.I.P.* Fans: We want the invasion 4!

Squishy Rex
Mouser
Mouser
Current Project: SMBX2 Custom Assets Library
Chat Username: SquishyRex

Postby Squishy Rex » Tue Apr 14, 2015 6:27 pm

BlazingZtar755 wrote:Fans: WE WANT THE INVASION 3! People who are working on this: *show invasion 3 W.I.P.* Fans: We want the invasion 4!
Please be more constructive when posting.
Squishy Rex's SMBX2 Custom Asset Pack v1.0
Coming soon!

BlazingZtar755
Rex
Rex

Postby BlazingZtar755 » Wed Apr 15, 2015 5:45 pm

(sorry about that squishy) Anyways, im hoping for an epic finale to this project. because you have to admit, invasion 2s final level was great, but the final boss was underwhelming. (not trying to criticize, im just saying)

Mable
Peach
Peach

Postby Mable » Sat Apr 18, 2015 6:29 am

BlazingZtar755 wrote:Fans: WE WANT THE INVASION 3! People who are working on this: *show invasion 3 W.I.P.* Fans: We want the invasion 4!
TI 4 will never exist since TI 3 already takes like 3-5 years to be done.

Gobenstraff
Cheep-Cheep
Cheep-Cheep

Postby Gobenstraff » Sun Apr 19, 2015 7:38 am

Never say never. It might very well happen.

Mable
Peach
Peach

Postby Mable » Sun Apr 19, 2015 8:55 am

Tbh though there doesn't need to be another Invasion honestly.

BlazingZtar755
Rex
Rex

Postby BlazingZtar755 » Sun Apr 19, 2015 11:26 am

yea, we proboably wont get TI4 i was making a joke.

suckhacker
Banned

Postby suckhacker » Wed Apr 22, 2015 7:50 pm

BlazingZtar755 wrote:yea, we proboably wont get TI4 i was making a joke.
But I order you to make it!!!

underFlo
Mario
Mario
Flair: sup im lesbiab
Current Project: actually nothing i lied to you
Chat Username: underFlo

Postby underFlo » Thu Apr 23, 2015 1:34 am

suckhacker wrote:
BlazingZtar755 wrote:yea, we proboably wont get TI4 i was making a joke.
But I order you to make it!!!
How about you let them finish TI3 first?
im a girl yo

Return to “Archives”