Turtwig's 2nd SMBX Level Music Contest (RESULTS!!!)

General discussion about Super Mario Bros. X.
Forum rules
Before you make a topic/post, consider the following:
-Is there a topic for this already?
-Is your post on-topic/appropriate?
-Are you posting in the right forum/following the forum rules?
JupiHornet
Larry Koopa
Larry Koopa

Turtwig's 2nd SMBX Level Music Contest (RESULTS!!!)

Postby JupiHornet » Sun Nov 29, 2015 4:57 pm

Whoa, it's another one of these! :O
I decided to do this since MAGL X2 is over, and CC12 won't be until winter :P

Ok, so here's how this works. When you join, I'll give you an MP3 that contains a song for you to use. You must use this song throughout the majority of your level. There are 3 difficulties, Easy, Medium, and Hard. It's harder to make a Level with the Hard songs. Levels will be judged out of 10 points, and the winner will get...idk ;-;

RULES
1. You cannot tell anyone what your mp3 is, or what level you have made before the deadline (January 8th)
2. No joke levels or kaizo levels will be accepted.
3. You can't post a collaborated level, or a level that someone else made.
4. You must use the song that I give you throughout the majority of your level (not just a boss or a small section).
5. Your song MUST fit the level somehow! Don't just slap your song onto a pre-made level!
6. Your level must be beatable. Please test thoroughly to make sure it is!

JUDGES
Those who have submitted their reviews are bolded.

- Turtwig
- Imaynotbehere4long
- HenryRichard
- MECHDRAGON777
- Ness-Wednesday

Replacement Judge: Linik

PARTICIPANTS
Those who submitted are bold.

Easy
- litchh

Medium
- LordYoshi99
- BlazingZtar755
- Mosaic Mario
- Harvey36Dice
- RoundPiplup
- Ludwig von Koopa
- ShadowStarX
- SecondScolipede
- Metroidologist X7
- TheDinoKing432
- EpicMarioBro
- FoxyThePirFox

Hard
- Enjl
- EpicMarioBro
- PixelPest
- glitch4
- witchking666
- Waddle Derp
- Miles Troopa
- HenryRichard
- GameClip477
- MECHDRAGON777
- Sanct
- Classic Tails
- Trace42
- Uzendayo
- Shinbison-Kof
- Cedrik
- Koopa-Fan

RESULTS
Spoiler: show
7. Aviation Attack by TheDinoKing432 (3.425/10)

HenryRichard (3.1/10)
You forgot the graphics for the airship piece. This level is also incredibly difficult due to the glitchy nature of it. It was a really good idea, but it just didn't quite work. Also, the NPCs got a bit spammy towards the end. The music fit pretty well.

Imaynotbehere4long (6.5/10)
Why does the Unused Airship Piece flash between the top and bottom of its sprite and have an innacurate hitbox? Uh oh, looks like someone forgot to include the sprite swap! (not mentioning any names).

Aside from that, this is a pretty fun and well designed almost-shmup-like level (it even has anti-gravity fireballs!). It's also pretty fun stomping the Parakoopas and watching their Rinka spawners follow them. You even managed to have a pre-programmed boss fight at the end that isn't completely boring, so good job. My only complaint is that, because you're using the Unused Airship Piece, it will run away from the player when he/she gets a powerup or gets hit. Also, you could have implemented the warning message better so that players don't have to deal with it after each death. I would have liked to see it be expanded a bit more, too.

Ness-Wednesday (2.1/10)
I pretty much hated this level so much that I can give you several good reaons why.
1. I don't know why there are buggy graphics of airship pieces all over the place.
2. SMW npcs, and the Rinka Spawners kinda clashed with enviroment heck, they shouldn't even be there...
3. The way the beginning is kinda hurted my eyes in the beginning, I'm also not of fan of autoscrolling levels.
4. Boom Boom was way to generic, also with cheating you could just stomp on everything and earn 1ups until the boss.
5. May I remind you that the level image was dumb, it's a waste of space.
Tips, stick to one style man people like levels like that, also don't spam enemies and set Bullet bill's score to 0 to prevent a life farm.
Anyways, I can tell you're a newbie in many different ways.

Turtwig (2/10)
I mean...I guess you used the song pretty well, but this whole level is just a mess. First of all, the airship things that you have to ride on are SUPER glitchy. Mario's sprite doesn't even fit in them! Also, the Fire Flower's fireballs float, making it hard to hit enemies. And speaking of enemies, there are a TON of them. Too many, in fact. Chasing Paratroopas are already bad enough with the floating airship, but attaching RINKAS to them? Just...why?

6. Algebra Run by HenryRichard (4.9/10)

Imaynotbehere4long (4.5/10)
Geometry Dash was popular because it's simple yet addicting, but also because it's a phone game; phone games pretty much have to be simple to work, given the platform and the audience. Making an SMBX level based on Geometry Dash just results in a barebones auto-scroller.

With that said, this could have been SO MUCH BETTER! Geometry Dash has a fixed speed and jump height while SMBX has physics (and I'm sure you knew this because it's dang-near-impossible to beat this level staying on the left and just jumping). You could have added Geometry-Dash-styled ENEMIES! You could have at least made the level longer than one measly minute with more clever stage designs (it ends before the best part of the song!).

However, what kills this level is that it's really difficult to regain momentum after the water part; no matter what, the player is forced to the left edge of the screen, and when the water part ends, there's barely any ledge remaining and the player has to go back to making precision jumps almost immediately. I died way too much on that transition; the platform should have been longer to give first time players enough time to regain momentum. This would have been a neat proof-of-concept if it weren't for that little beginner's trap.

Also, sometimes the background failed to change when the areas transitioned; you should have added nogravity=1 to the invisible SMB1 axes.

Linik (6/10)
I liked the feel of this level, and the music soundtrack fits incredibly well with the atmosphere and the pace of the level. It felt like something completely different from Mario entirely, almost resembling a flash game, pushing the boundaries of what you can do with SMBX really far without Lua. But technically looking at the level, it turns out that it is essentially a fairy level, and the mechanics of the fairy are pushed to their limits, requiring almost exact pitch-perfect control. However, there were some rather small gaps that are rather tricky to manoeuvre around, and as the level got further on, the level was really taxing and demanding of the player, some points requiring a lot of precision, which if lost results in having to start all over again. But considering how rare fairy-only levels are, you did a really good try at it.

Ness-Wednesday (3.1/10)
.......I don't.........
Wait, I've seen this game before, I remeber seeing someone playing this on his/her device...
Anyways, I think this could be as close as it could get, if Lunalua was allowed, it wouldn't be so tacky on speed.
When you fly, you can get caught into the end of the screen, and its a scary view for such detail. :P
But I think it wasn't pulled of in a bad way, it's confusing about the player moving in the beginning.
The jumps were scary just like how it looks like in the game itself, and Algebra run.
I doubt it was possible to replace the SMB1 giant castle bgo with the logo, so I could see why.
But, it's lowered because it's way too hard to be made in SMBX.

Turtwig (6/10)
Uhh, wow. I see you wanted to hit my soft spot by making a Geomerty Dash level XD
This is actually a pretty good one, though. I liked how you included some of the different game modes by using SMBX mechanics, like the fairy. However, the level is pretty bland looking, even for Stereo Madness, and it uses the same block the whole time. Even GD uses different blocks! In addition, the autoscrolling was WAAAAAY too fast, and the song doesn't really fit Geometry Dash that well at all :/

5. A Chilly Journey by MosaicMario (6.025/10)

HenryRichard (8.2/10)
This level felt like something made by Darkonius. It was fun, and I have few complaints. One thing I didn't quite get was the fact that you gave me a yoshi... forced me to ditch him... and then gave me one fifteen seconds later. Also, the underground bonus area felt kinda weird as it was the only part like it. But hey, you used the music you got well, and overall it was a great level!

Imaynotbehere4long (5.5/10)
This level is actually decently designed for the most part, but it could have done without the ice physics since they really only serve to slow the player down and don't add anything to the level, and when you have a decently-long level with a song that loops after only 26 seconds (Turtwig, why??) (sorry ;-;) making the player move slower is not a good idea.

Moving on to level design: like I said, there's a decent variety with NPCs and block arrangements (I especially liked how you indicated the bottom path in the 1st section, though it's kinda impossible to get back up due to the Spikes' rate of fire), though there were a few times where it just devolved into a flat run with sparse enemies (mostly Goombas and might-as-well-be-Goombas), and that's something you should try to avoid in the future since the Mario enemies aren't fun to deal with by themsleves; they need platforms and varied block placements to work off of, and while you did that for the most part, it's always a good idea to go back and make sure there aren't any lulls in the level.

In conclusion, there's really nothing wrong with this level other than the ice physics making everything slow (and the short song, but that isn't your fault). I would've given this a 6/10 if it weren't for the ice physics.

Ness-Wednesday (4.9/10)
I'm not really a fan of these SMB1 like "go forward levels, but this one isn't too shabby for me.
I was a nice touch to change the design on the Ice flower, but the Spikes seemed kinda like if you needed some variety, because it's like one of those SMB1 like levels.
The Music was quite cute, but I do not understand why you'd change it in the bonus section.
There could have been more put into it though, maybe a bit longer and more sections.
If there were more types of enemies, it may have been a bit more challenging than you'd think.
But, at least there wasn't any clash and no cutoff from what I've seen.

Turtwig (5.5/10)
This level was just kinda...there. It's not bad by any means, but it does drag out a while. The first and last sections are simply running to the right and using your Ice Flower. I did enjoy the vertical section in the middle, but the rest of it was very boring.

4. High-Temp Torment by SecondScolipede (6.375/10)

HenryRichard (7.9/10)
WOAH RANDOM SMB3 BONUS BLOCKS! Other then those this level was really good - aesthetically pleasing, well designed, and just something I'd like to play again. The music didn't quite fit IMO, but it sorta works.

Imaynotbehere4long (6.9/10)
Despite only having one powerup in the whole level (technically there's two, but the first one doesn't count since the player won't recognize the blocks as ? block sprite swaps given their placement), this is a pretty fun little level. It's nothing too ambitious, but it isn't trying to be. There's a decent variety of enemies and obstacles to help keep things fresh (notably, the part where you have to jump over the Thwomp sprite-swaps, then run under them at top speed because there's no way the player will know about the invisible blocks there without looking in the editor). Fear Factory also works surprisingly well with Cave Story's tile-set.

The only issue I had was that the first Hammer Bro. sprite swap in Section 2 is a bit too close to the edge of the platform; it jumped onto me before I could make the jump across the pit. Also, the Larry Koopa sprite-swap could have used a bit more variety with the hazards in its room, but I liked how the boss wasn't the last enemy in the level. I also feel that the level could have been expanded a bit more after the boss fight, though.

Ness-Wednesday (5.7/10)
I swear I've seen these a couple of times already, but I just don't know the name of this game.
The design was quite fair, but there are minor things I'd like to point out for this level.
The music was interesitng, but I think the question I got still remains on the top.
Why did you replace Larry with that Battery Toaster guy?
The invisible coins abover you when going under Thwomps was quite strange.
It was a little bit too short, you could have extended it to be longer.
And, why is there an SMB3 bowser graphic in the folder if it isn't used?
Anyways, remind me what game all the graphics come from? :P (cave story you nub)

Turtwig (5/10)
Whoa, a Cave Story level! I honestly can't say I've ever seen one of these. The song fits surprisingly well, too! However, one thing I noticed right off the bat is that it's VERY hard to tell what's a solid block and what isn't. The dark green sizables and brown slopes really look more like BGOs to me, so you should probably darken those a bit. As for the level itself...it's alright, I guess. It's pretty short and uses most of the same enemies over and over again. Kudos to whoever made those awesome sprites, though!

3. Bowser jr. toxic factory by Cedrik (6.525/10)

HenryRichard (7.1/10)
Pretty good level. The music you got was used very well. My only real complaint is that you used some things only once or twice in the entire level (like the honing bullets). Also, it was kinda confusing figuring out where to go, but not too bad.

Imaynotbehere4long (6.7/10)
Okay, you have all the blue coins on their own layer, but not all of them activate the secret star's event in "No More Objects in Layer." Therefore, if the player collects one of the coins that doesn't have the event set last, as happened to me, the event won't activate. Remember: always make sure all NPCs on a layer trigger their respective "No More Objects in Layer" event before releasing it; I earned that secret star, dang it!!

Anyway, I think that out of all the levels, this has to be the one with the most wasted potential. It tries to do a bunch of things (homing bullet bills, Yoshi's Island flip blocks, rising lava) but doesn't really build on any of them. It's still a well designed level, but I'm always disappointed to see things introduced once or twice, then forgotten for the rest of the level; it just makes the whole thing seem gimmicky. You could have used the homing bullet bills more than once or made the rising lava section more threatening (the lava could rise faster but start lower, and the section could be a bit longer). The Yoshi's Island flip blocks could have been used to add more of a puzzle element to the level, too. Also, the boss didn't need that sign hint (although, like Aviation Attack, you did a good job making the fight unique).

By the way, a bunch of your custom graphics are grainy; remember to save them as PNG files, then use an online service or Paint.net (with dithering=0) to convert them to GIF.

I would have given this a 7/10 if the blue coins' event wasn't partially broken; I took off one tenth of a point for each coin you forgot to add the event to.

Ness-Wednesday (6.3/10)
I thought you were H36D for a minute, but gee I should start improving myslef since Pixlepest and you beat me too it.
The gimmicks were cool, I did like the atmoshpere but what' is good about it is that you can't get lost in this level, alot of factory levels have that happen.
But some graphics just kill it (1x1 pixels on the poisonous water), I don't think you should have made the switches replace the switch goombas sine you can kill them in other ways.
It wasn't to long, but I think it could have been better though if there was at least one more gimmick in this level.
The boss, despite it's one of those (s***** graphic replacements, because I can't find a good way to make a boss), I think it had a good enough challenge for itself.
It was fun either way, do you know there's a YTPMV of the KtD boss theme, it exist and should become overused for sure.

Turtwig (6/10)
First of all, this song really isn't meant for this kind of environment, but...it fits this level strangely well o_O
The level itself is alright, I guess. The first section is pretty open and you have to hit 2 switches to proceed. It's a pretty boring section, but finding the switches isn't too hard. The second section is a very short rising lava section, which was pretty enjoyable. The boss is very random, but I had fun beating it.

2. Fortress of Shy by EpicMarioBro (7.125/10)

HenryRichard (6.5/10)
I really wanted to love this level. It had a great atmosphere, and well designed areas. However, with the confusion of the platforms over the lava and the random things that I didn't get (why was "hi" written in the lava), it's just not quite good enough. Also, the music worked okay, but would've made a bit more sense in a factory then a fortress.

Imaynotbehere4long (7.4/10)
Oh wow, there were actually quite a few good levels in this contest; I'm having trouble picking a winner.

Honestly, I'd have to give the edge to this level since it doesn't have any problems (except for one of the Ace coins being unreachable, but who cares about them?) and it has a few clever design choices. The enemies and block arrangements are varied and the level doesn't feel too long or too short. There are also a bunch of subtle touches to the level like having invisible walls prevent enemies from falling down platforms until you get there. One part in particular has you avoiding a wall of Snifit shots, but you can throw veggies at the wall beforehand to make that part easier at the expense of making the current area more difficult; it's those little touches that I really like to see in levels. Also, the graphics go so well with the custom song you were given that it's almost like you had planned on using this song to begin with! I also liked the joke boss at the end, especially with that build up. Plus, nothing broke (I think), so there's that. My only complaint is that the lines that the line-riders follow are invisible, meaning the player can't anticipate where the line-rider will go, and this can lead to some unfair hits. There's also the fire flower that first time players will never be able to get, but that's a really minor complaint.

P.S. The secret testing room is inaccessible, despite the sign saying otherwise.

Ness-Wednesday (5.8/10)
SMB2 isn't too shabby to be good, but there should have been more shy guy graphics in this level.
The enemies coming out of broken crates was a cool gimmick, the platform with lava though was creepy.
I wonder why people keep on using Ace coins in there level though....
For the boss, I got very confused with it since it was just a Shy Guy but if Lunadll was allowed, it could have been a better ending.
Why did you end it with the player entering the door, I know it's from SMB2 I'd prefer a star overall.
But, I still liked it and the music was quite catchy. ;)

Turtwig (8.8/10)
Awesome level! I really loved all of the different Shy Guy reskins you used. The whole level gave you a sense of direction and told you where to go, making it hard to ever get lost. That's exactly what levels like this SHOULD do! However, the level felt a bit rushed towards the end. The boxes seemed to be thrown together, and the last few rooms had too many enemies in them. Still, a great effort, and the song was used very well too!

1. Hoppy Cloudy Aftergrounds by Harvey36Dice (8.225/10)

HenryRichard (9.6/10)
This level was nearly flawless - it was very well designed and very fun. I didn't like how the skull blocks were shaded compared to the rest of the level, but that's a minor thing. Also the ice flower type was a bit inconsistent - it went from a SML2-styled one to an SMB3 one and back to the SML2 one. The music fit well, though I feel it'd work better if you made the level take place at night and added some stars.

Imaynotbehere4long (6.3/10)
Wow, another well designed level! This might be the highest good-levels-to-total-entries ratio for any unofficial SMBX contest (at least, it is for the ones I've judged).

Anyway, this level has a decent variety of obstacles, enemies, and Goomba resprites (though I'd prefer less Goomba resprites and more variety); it reminds me a lot of Andi Alif Batara's levels. (gee i wonder why ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)) I also thought that the lava sprite-swaps, while seeming a bit out of place, were a neat additional obstacle that I don't think I've seen before, and I also liked that you used them throughout the level instead of introducing them for one part and then forgetting about them.

However, this level has one rather major flaw: climbable tiles crossed with moving layers. You see, there's a bug in SMBX where, if the player stands on a moving layer and grabs a climbable tile afterward, the player will still move as if on that layer, and this can make playing the level unreasonably tense when the player has to navigate around instant-kill tiles while dealing with said bug. Pick one and remove the other.

Another issue I had is with the wooden platform below the blue switch: the player has to jump on it with a propeller block, but the platform is too high up for the player to react in time to jump on it. The only way to make it up there is to preempt the platform through trial and error, and this isn't fun to do. Also, when the propeller blocks disappear, the player can still use them as long as he/she never lets go of the run button (another SMBX bug), meaning the player can still use the propeller block until the end of section 3, which I don't think is something you wanted to happen.

Lastly, if the player doesn't make it to the moving mushrooms in time, he/she will have to wait for them to move back (and waiting = boring = not fun). Same goes for the moving instant-kill blocks in section 4, which didn't really add anything to the level. Maybe, instead of having crushing walls of them that move fast, have isolated, slightly-moving ones that the player has to navigate around (similar to the beginning of section 3).

P.S. I'm a bit disappointed that you didn't use the foreground clouds to hide secrets, but that doesn't affect your score.

Ness-Wednesday (8/10)
Okay, this level had such an interesting Idea with using SML2 enemies, they fitted well with the environment!
The Grinders were quite fair, and the ideas aren't too challenging and were quite fair.
But, I don't know why you would place the red skull blocks from "Rotten Flesh Spell" in this level.
The moving layer gimmicks were cool, but because of SMBX's dumb collision you can end up moving along with the layers in the section.
One of the layers in the crushing part were off I don't think It will look fine like that.
But, Isn't it possible to fall after getting the star in the end?
Obviously, I know who made this level since the platforming is all allover the place.

Turtwig (9/10)
What a fun level! I really liked how the level was very open, but still somewhat linear in that it gave you a clear sense of direction. The level is pretty solid until the second half, when some unnecessary stuff is added (like the floating water). Also, the vines that you have to climb are a bit glitchy, as Mario consantly slides downwards on them for some reason. Also, the propeller block segment is nearly impossible when playing as Small Mario. Remember that he can't jump as high as big Mario when holding propeller blocks! Aside from these flaws, though, this was a great level!

Congratulations to Harvey36Dice! Thanks to all who participated! :D
THE LEVELS
https://www.dropbox.com/s/uupxhdd29o2jt ... s.zip?dl=0
Last edited by JupiHornet on Wed Jan 27, 2016 4:21 pm, edited 49 times in total.
AeroMatter wrote: This post is ironic. These forums are ironic. My life is ironic.

If you want to talk to me, add me on Discord at JupiHornet#2897, or go to my Twitter page!
You can also check out my YouTube channel!
- PREVIOUSLY KNOWN AS TURTWIG -

LordYoshi999
Mega Mole
Mega Mole
Current Project: none
Chat Username: hmmm I wonder

Re: Turtwig's SECOND SMBX Level Music Contest! :D

Postby LordYoshi999 » Sun Nov 29, 2015 4:59 pm

I WILL JOIN AS A CONTESTANT PLS
- Medium difficulty -
sorry nothing to see here

Enjl
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg
Flair: Orphion Egamalenitar Osmos IV, Esq.

Postby Enjl » Sun Nov 29, 2015 5:01 pm

I want to do it.hard, please.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

perhaps
Volcano Lotus
Volcano Lotus
Flair: im very cool
Current Project: oh, the usual
Chat Username: copyleft

Postby perhaps » Sun Nov 29, 2015 5:03 pm

Alright, this looks fun! I'll take medium, please!
Last edited by perhaps on Sun Nov 29, 2015 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
reminder to drink more water BUDDEH

Ness-Wednesday
Purple Yoshi Egg
Purple Yoshi Egg
Flair: Diverse Scouts
Current Project: TBA ;)

Postby Ness-Wednesday » Sun Nov 29, 2015 5:04 pm

Turtwig wrote: CC12 won't be until winter :P
Actually since the CC cool-down has been increased to 6 months, I think you could be right (possibly December or January).
EDIT: Since I wasn't added, I think I will be a judge instead for this.
I already spent too much on making contest levels that I got a bunch of work to do already so I'm gonna try to be a judge for a first try.
Last edited by Ness-Wednesday on Mon Nov 30, 2015 5:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
#Therealmofloveandhate

Join my Discord server!
Do you love Villagers? I know I do!
(Image is not by me)
Will Toad truly get an actual project, will something happen who knows?
OR

BlazingZtar755
Rex
Rex

Postby BlazingZtar755 » Sun Nov 29, 2015 5:14 pm

imma join.
gimmie medeium. hope it goes better than the last contest i entered :?
Keep moving, nothing to see here. I'm practically a dead user at this point.

JupiHornet
Larry Koopa
Larry Koopa

Postby JupiHornet » Sun Nov 29, 2015 5:23 pm

Hm, we already have a good amount of participants...but any judges? ;-;
AeroMatter wrote: This post is ironic. These forums are ironic. My life is ironic.

If you want to talk to me, add me on Discord at JupiHornet#2897, or go to my Twitter page!

Mosaic
Ludwig von Koopa
Ludwig von Koopa
Flair: All has a reason behind it, even if it's tough.
Current Project: The Mosaic Group's Journey, Toad's SMB Adventure, Mosaic Adventures and Other Secret Projects?
Chat Username: Mosaic

Postby Mosaic » Sun Nov 29, 2015 5:25 pm

I'm joining, Medium difficulty.

I believe in Jesus Christ as my Lord and Savior. If you do, put this in your signature.
And Here's The Proof
My Rainbow Of Levels
Mosaic's Museum(My Discord)

Danny wrote:Here's some constructive criticism: What the hell.
Witchking wrote:Approved!

Discord Quotes: show

Imaynotbehere4long
Kamikaze Koopa
Kamikaze Koopa
Current Project: Chaotic Culmination: Universe Rescuer

Postby Imaynotbehere4long » Sun Nov 29, 2015 6:33 pm

Suggestions:

1) You should make it a rule that the song has to fit the level, or else it gets disqualified. Last time you hosted this contest, the winner's level didn't fit the song it was assigned, and this completely defeated the point of the gimmick.

2)
Turtwig wrote:There are 3 difficulties, Easy, Medium, and Hard. It's harder to make a Level with the Hard songs.
You shouldn't do this, either. Some people will have a much easier or harder time coming up with a level for a song than you think they will, as evidenced by this quote from last contest's thread:
litchh wrote:Despite I took easy difficulty, my melody wasn't conducive to productive mapping.
You should just say that contestants will get a random song and will have to think of a way to make a level that fits the song (on top of the other rules, of course).
I've decided to cancel SMBXville Under Seige. After my 1st Senior year of college, I realized I wouldn't have enough time to devote to finishing my four-level episode. Apologies to those who cared.
My favorite quote on the entire forum:
mechamind wrote:
AeroMatter wrote:People who think "autistic" is an adjective and not a verb.
You autistic some people so much with that statement.
My SMBX portfolio:
(includes a Sonic 3D Blast styled level.)
SOMEONE ANSWER MY CRY FOR HELP: http://www.supermariobrosx.org/forums/v ... =69&t=2026

JupiHornet
Larry Koopa
Larry Koopa

Postby JupiHornet » Sun Nov 29, 2015 6:38 pm

Imaynotbehere4long wrote:Suggestions:

1) You should make it a rule that the song has to fit the level, or else it gets disqualified. Last time you hosted this contest, the winner's level didn't fit the song it was assigned, and this completely defeated the point of the gimmick.

2)
Turtwig wrote:There are 3 difficulties, Easy, Medium, and Hard. It's harder to make a Level with the Hard songs.
You shouldn't do this, either. Some people will have a much easier or harder time coming up with a level for a song than you think they will, as evidenced by this quote from last contest's thread:
litchh wrote:Despite I took easy difficulty, my melody wasn't conducive to productive mapping.
You should just say that contestants will get a random song and will have to think of a way to make a level that fits the song (on top of the other rules, of course).
Fair enough. I can't really change the difficulty thing because some people already have their songs, but I have a much wider variety of songs than I did last time so it shouldn't be an issue :P

Thanks for the advice, though ;)

PixelPest
Link
Link
Flair: Tamer of Boom Booms
Current Project: Boom Boom Evolution
Chat Username: PixelPest

Postby PixelPest » Sun Nov 29, 2015 7:57 pm

I'm in for a hard one. This is quite a cool idea.

WerewolfGD
Wart
Wart
Flair: Daily life of Alagirez
Current Project: Questioning my life
Chat Username: Alagirez

Postby WerewolfGD » Sun Nov 29, 2015 8:49 pm

i'm in
i choose MEDIUM

A former SMBX level designner
If you want to to talk with me, go here : Alagirez#2056
Also a furry

YT Channel |MxW2 for those who wants it
My osu! Profile | My twitter

Awooo!

JupiHornet
Larry Koopa
Larry Koopa

Postby JupiHornet » Sun Nov 29, 2015 9:18 pm

still need judges ;-;

Imaynotbehere4long
Kamikaze Koopa
Kamikaze Koopa

Postby Imaynotbehere4long » Sun Nov 29, 2015 9:22 pm

Turtwig wrote:still need judges ;-;
I'll be a judge if you make my first suggestion a rule.
I've decided to cancel SMBXville Under Seige. After my 1st Senior year of college, I realized I wouldn't have enough time to devote to finishing my four-level episode. Apologies to those who cared.
mechamind wrote:
My SMBX portfolio:
SOMEONE ANSWER MY CRY FOR HELP: http://www.supermariobrosx.org/forums/v ... =69&t=2026

litchh
Koopa Shell
Koopa Shell

Postby litchh » Sun Nov 29, 2015 10:18 pm

Well, I'm gonna try easy again :D

RoundPiplup
Grinder
Grinder

Postby RoundPiplup » Sun Nov 29, 2015 10:52 pm

Imaynotbehere4long wrote:You should make it a rule that the song has to fit the level, or else it gets disqualified. Last time you hosted this contest, the winner's level didn't fit the song it was assigned, and this completely defeated the point of the gimmick.
Shouldn't it be like if you don't agree with the song fitting with the level, the points should just be taken off instead of disqualifying it entirely? Basically, if you don't agree with the song placed in that level, you can just take off a point or two instead.

Medium please, going to troll again.
The Past still haunts me.

Imaynotbehere4long
Kamikaze Koopa
Kamikaze Koopa

Postby Imaynotbehere4long » Sun Nov 29, 2015 11:05 pm

RoundPiplup wrote:Shouldn't it be like if you don't agree with the song fitting with the level, the points should just be taken off instead of disqualifying it entirely? Basically, if you don't agree with the song placed in that level, you can just take off a point or two instead.
That could work if this contest were as large as the Community Contests or the MaGLs, but even with a point reduction, someone that disregards making a level that fits the song could still win, like last time.

The most annoying thing about someone doing that is that it isn't hard to just look up a tileset and background that fit the song, then replace whatever existing tileset/background the pre-made level uses. Someone who isn't even willing to do that doesn't deserve to win, or even be qualified in the first place.
mechamind wrote:
My SMBX portfolio:

JupiHornet
Larry Koopa
Larry Koopa

Postby JupiHornet » Sun Nov 29, 2015 11:21 pm

Imaynotbehere4long wrote:
Turtwig wrote:still need judges ;-;
I'll be a judge if you make my first suggestion a rule.
done :P

glitch4
Ludwig von Koopa
Ludwig von Koopa

Postby glitch4 » Mon Nov 30, 2015 8:37 am

I take hard

litchh
Koopa Shell
Koopa Shell

Postby litchh » Mon Nov 30, 2015 9:20 am

Imaynotbehere4long wrote:You should make it a rule that the song has to fit the level, or else it gets disqualified. Last time you hosted this contest, the winner's level didn't fit the song it was assigned, and this completely defeated the point of the gimmick.
Turtwig wrote:done :P
Wait. What means "song has to fit the level"? Would I get disqualified, if I'll not create level with tileset, NPCs, etc. from the game, which song I got? Does level have to fit to current game/stage theme or fitting to melodic tone is enough?

Return to “General”