Level Judge Application

Topics about events/announcements that are no longer relevant.
JupiHornet
Larry Koopa
Larry Koopa

Re: Level Judge Application

Postby JupiHornet » Wed Aug 17, 2016 4:13 pm

Not trying to sound like I'm minimodding, but why has everyone turned on PixelPest? It's not even like he's being rude or anything, but all of a sudden he's getting all this unwarranted hate, not just in this thread, but in a lot of other places. I don't get it :/
AeroMatter wrote: This post is ironic. These forums are ironic. My life is ironic.

If you want to talk to me, add me on Discord at JupiHornet#2897, or go to my Twitter page!
You can also check out my YouTube channel!
- PREVIOUSLY KNOWN AS TURTWIG -

HeroLinik
Cyan Yoshi Egg
Cyan Yoshi Egg
Current Project: TCGA Remake
Chat Username: Look below my avatar

Postby HeroLinik » Wed Aug 17, 2016 4:16 pm

JupiHornet wrote:Not trying to sound like I'm minimodding, but why has everyone turned on PixelPest? It's not even like he's being rude or anything, but all of a sudden he's getting all this unwarranted hate, not just in this thread, but in a lot of other places. I don't get it :/
Not sure exactly, but there's some kind of thing about Valtteri being biased when Enjl tried to reapply and was rejected, and yet PixelPest got back in unscathed. I personally don't think Valtteri's biased though.
I support: show
Lol, you got trolled. Move along, if you please.
YouTube channel

Moderator of the r/Pokemon Discord server since 2019.

Aero
Palom
Palom
Flair: Pirate economy
Chat Username: aero

Postby Aero » Wed Aug 17, 2016 4:20 pm

JupiHornet wrote:Not trying to sound like I'm minimodding, but why has everyone turned on PixelPest? It's not even like he's being rude or anything, but all of a sudden he's getting all this unwarranted hate, not just in this thread, but in a lot of other places. I don't get it :/
If you follow along these criticisms aren't new.
Linik wrote:Not sure exactly, but there's some kind of thing about Valtteri being biased when Enjl tried to reapply and was rejected, and yet PixelPest got back in unscathed. I personally don't think Valtteri's biased though.
It's purely coincidence that people Valtteri is fond of are promoted.

PixelPest
Link
Link
Flair: Tamer of Boom Booms
Current Project: Boom Boom Evolution
Chat Username: PixelPest

Postby PixelPest » Wed Aug 17, 2016 4:42 pm

AeroMatter, your reviews you wrote were more comments (or even just a comment) on your overall impression of the level(s); sometimes this wasn't even 3 sentences. You lack the needed attention to detail (missed game breaking errors, didn't comment on important aspects of level design, etc.) and also didn't include a score such that we could see if your ratings were reasonable.

On the topic of my reviews, even if you don't like the style of them, that's fine, but please don't take shots at me in a somewhat demoralizing manner. When I do reviews I take time to put effort in them and pay a great amount of attention to details in the level and do my best to comment on all of the relevant aspects I can

Aero
Palom
Palom

Postby Aero » Wed Aug 17, 2016 4:47 pm

how so?

TLtimelord
Red Yoshi Egg
Red Yoshi Egg
Flair: Info under raps
Current Project: A quirky lil episode
Chat Username: Augustus

Postby TLtimelord » Wed Aug 17, 2016 7:56 pm

Enjl wrote:
AeroMatter wrote:
Can you guys tell me who was the one who sent you the rejection email?

I know JupiHornet got a rejection email from Pixelpest before the level forum overhaul and I find that a little stupid. Valtteri, as the level judge admin, you should send the rejection letter and give your own reasons why, because everyone trusts your judgement and ability to critique, as well as respect you, a lot more than Pixelpest.
In an age of darkness light appears
And it wards away the ancient fears
March to the anthem of the heart
To a brand new day, a brand new start

Enjl
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg
Flair: Orphion Egamalenitar Osmos IV, Esq.

Postby Enjl » Wed Aug 17, 2016 8:02 pm

Valtteri just rejected me in discord. I never sent a pm because I find it to be superfluous considering it'd be identical to my february application. Kind of my own fault but on the other hand I thought my ability to critique things was well-established.

e: oh hey a position as a judge
Last edited by Enjl on Wed Aug 17, 2016 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The ABC of Creation

WindyDelcarlo
Swooper
Swooper
Current Project: Who knows? Back after what feels like absolutely forever!

Postby WindyDelcarlo » Wed Aug 17, 2016 8:11 pm

As an undisputably unbiased eye (having been absent for, I don't know, 2 years?):
PixelPest wrote:AeroMatter, your reviews you wrote were more comments (or even just a comment) on your overall impression of the level(s); sometimes this wasn't even 3 sentences. You lack the needed attention to detail (missed game breaking errors, didn't comment on important aspects of level design, etc.) and also didn't include a score such that we could see if your ratings were reasonable.
Looking at Aeromatter's review for Desolate Palace of Birdo's Love, this is accurate, especially in comparison to the one by ShadowStarX just below it.
Electrokinesis is fun.
Struggling to remember what and why I did things when I was here the last time.

Valtteri
Larry Koopa
Larry Koopa

Postby Valtteri » Wed Aug 17, 2016 8:22 pm

TNTtimelord wrote:I know JupiHornet got a rejection email from Pixelpest before the level forum overhaul and I find that a little stupid. Valtteri, as the level judge admin, you should send the rejection letter and give your own reasons why, because everyone trusts your judgement and ability to critique, as well as respect you, a lot more than Pixelpest.
Whatever email Turtwig has received from PixelPest was not a rejection email. I'm the one who lets people who apply know about our decisions.

Aero
Palom
Palom

Postby Aero » Wed Aug 17, 2016 8:28 pm

TNTtimelord wrote: Can you guys tell me who was the one who sent you the rejection email?

I know JupiHornet got a rejection email from Pixelpest before the level forum overhaul and I find that a little stupid. Valtteri, as the level judge admin, you should send the rejection letter and give your own reasons why, because everyone trusts your judgement and ability to critique, as well as respect you, a lot more than Pixelpest.
Val rejected me on Discord, said *winks*, and when I asked about it he said he respond later and rejected in PM. Professional operation going on here.
WindyDelcarlo wrote:Looking at Aeromatter's review for Desolate Palace of Birdo's Love, this is accurate, especially in comparison to the one by ShadowStarX just below it.
Yeah I didn't focus on pointless stuff to make a paragraph out of my review, nor did I make color coded categories. And people wonder why LJs end up being circle jerkers.

JupiHornet
Larry Koopa
Larry Koopa

Postby JupiHornet » Wed Aug 17, 2016 8:38 pm

TNTtimelord wrote:
Enjl wrote:
AeroMatter wrote:
Can you guys tell me who was the one who sent you the rejection email?

It actually wasn't an email (I don't remember saying it was).
Basically what happened is I applied and got no response back. Someone on Skype (I believe it was Sanct) showed me a picture of PixelPest rejecting my application in what looked like the Level Judges board. I PMed PixelPest asking about it and his response is what I showed you (this happened quite a while after I applied). I don't know if anyone else rejected it as well. The second time I applied, I PMed PixelPest asking if I got in because, again, I got no response to my application.
Valtteri wrote:
I never got an email from anyone. You never responded to my application, I found out that I was rejected by asking the judges.
Last edited by JupiHornet on Wed Aug 17, 2016 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AeroMatter wrote: This post is ironic. These forums are ironic. My life is ironic.

If you want to talk to me, add me on Discord at JupiHornet#2897, or go to my Twitter page!
You can also check out my YouTube channel!
- PREVIOUSLY KNOWN AS TURTWIG -

PixelPest
Link
Link

Postby PixelPest » Wed Aug 17, 2016 8:42 pm

TNTtimelord wrote:I know JupiHornet got a rejection email from Pixelpest before the level forum overhaul and I find that a little stupid. Valtteri, as the level judge admin, you should send the rejection letter and give your own reasons why, because everyone trusts your judgement and ability to critique, as well as respect you, a lot more than Pixelpest.
It was by no means a rejection e-mail. He basically asked me via PM how it was looking for him and I pretty much said that he probably wouldn't be approved

Valtteri
Larry Koopa
Larry Koopa

Postby Valtteri » Wed Aug 17, 2016 8:42 pm

AeroMatter wrote:Val rejected me on Discord, said *winks*, and when I asked about it he said he respond later and rejected in PM. Professional operation going on here.
I admit I wasn't acting very professional that night. I was intending to go to sleep and check out your application in the morning. I realize in my position my jokes can be taken very poorly and I'm sorry about that. Even if your rejection was justified, as WindyDelcarlo for one person agrees with me that it was.

Enjl
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg

Postby Enjl » Wed Aug 17, 2016 9:02 pm

For purpose of demonstration I have marked all filler in ShadowStarX's review of that level in red and added new wordings where I found them to be appropriate (green):
Desolate Palace of Birdo's Love review

Design & Gameplay: Good
+ Well, mainly this level is quite good. (even tho it has some flawed aspects) I found the NPC placement good too and I'm saying the same about the variety of 'em. The difficulty of the level is fair and medium, I could imagine this as a W3 in a shorter and a W4 dungeon in a mid-length or a longer episode. Even if the secret stars require backtracking, they aren't just a second of hitting a random switch and going backwards, but the player (luckily) needs to do something before being able to reach the star. (like killing all the goombas or jumping on birdo's egg and then hitting the switch) I also found the level having a fair length.
I like the secret stars in this level. (I feel like the rest of this paragraph is superfluous because it doesn't highlight anything special or particularly flawed/good about the level)
| The level was a little bit but not too much repetitive at some points. I'm also unsure if the backtracking in the propeller block section was that necessary since it's minor and the level's structure doesn't change when you start going up, so it's just 15 seconds of additional gameplay, but I might just be overreacting and this flaw didn't appear anywhere else in the level.The propeller section felt repetitive.
- If the player gets the egg in the boss battle, he/she can just stand in the front of the boss which ends in the boss dying in 4 or 5 seconds. (true picking up the egg is at least a challenge)

Atmosphere & Visuals: Okay
+ I can say that the music fits the level well and it's also good that the level doesn't shove two milion BGOs in the player's face but there isn't lack of 'em either. I didn't find clashy gfx nor cutoffs.
It's okay except...
- I found the level too duocolored, since the only colors I saw were purple and pink. The thing that annoyed me the most about that is that you've recolored the coins too, which is quite a bad thing to do since there are only some cases when it's reasonable. (like if the level is a ghost house and the coin is white or if the level is a colorful toybox and the coins have like 2 or 3 different colors)

Score: 6.25/10

An enjoyable level with some troublesome aspects in it could have added an extra round of feedback here
Moved to 'Pretty Good'
At the same time I don't think that Aeromatter's review of the level particularly qualifies him for the position, either. It, too, could focus more on highlighting the strengths and weaknesses of a level and how to improve on either. I don't think Aeromatter needs to write overly long paragraphs for his reviews. A review like this
http://www.supermariobrosx.org/forums/v ... 87#p181787
which precisely highlights issues (levels with particular strengths should get highlighted too, this level just didn't stand out in that regard, which can happen) gets to the point quickly and does not have a lot of filler, while giving helpful feedback.
The ABC of Creation

WindyDelcarlo
Swooper
Swooper
Current Project: Who knows? Back after what feels like absolutely forever!

Postby WindyDelcarlo » Wed Aug 17, 2016 9:18 pm

Oh yes, I completely agree there. I don't mean to say "long paragraphs are always good", but I mean that there needs to be some sort of substance and somewhere to go.
Electrokinesis is fun.
Struggling to remember what and why I did things when I was here the last time.

Aero
Palom
Palom

Postby Aero » Wed Aug 17, 2016 9:19 pm

How is pointing at things to change and what was done right not substantive?

Enjl
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg

Postby Enjl » Wed Aug 17, 2016 9:21 pm

Your review which I looked at in particular barely did any of that. If you have more examples, please show them so I can take a look. Maybe the Birdo review is just an older one and your style has changed since June.
The ABC of Creation

PixelPest
Link
Link

Postby PixelPest » Wed Aug 17, 2016 9:28 pm

Enjl wrote:Your review which I looked at in particular barely did any of that. If you have more examples, please show them so I can take a look. Maybe the Birdo review is just an older one and your style has changed since June.
The other two reviews he submitted were a little bit more extensive, but still thoroughly lacking like the one for Desolate Palace of Birdo's Love. They don't even have scores so we don't know if he can rate levels appropriately and they are overall too summarical and not constructive enough

Aero
Palom
Palom

Postby Aero » Wed Aug 17, 2016 9:31 pm

http://www.supermariobrosx.org/forums/v ... 54#p226232 In this review I gave specific examples that the level creator could change. My shortest reviews had screenshots of where the designer messed up and how to fix them, like right here http://www.supermariobrosx.org/forums/v ... 85#p221168 and another snow level that I can't seem to find and I think they would have been just as good to include too but I already sent three reviews instead of 2.

EDIT: Since I didn't put up a random number and go on and on about nothing in my reviews, they're trash. PP for LJ.

underFlo
Mario
Mario
Flair: sup im lesbiab
Current Project: actually nothing i lied to you
Chat Username: underFlo

Postby underFlo » Wed Aug 17, 2016 9:33 pm

But I mean with the removal of rating subforums is there really a need for numerical scores?
im a girl yo

Return to “Events and Announcements”