AlphaCPS' Totally Unoriginal Level Collection

Share your own SMBX levels and play others' too.
AlphaCPS
Fighter Fly
Fighter Fly
Flair: generic flair
Chat Username: αCPS

AlphaCPS' Totally Unoriginal Level Collection

Postby AlphaCPS » Wed Sep 07, 2016 8:25 am

2016 LEVELS

Cherry Island (v1.3.0.1)
A short and sweet level. That's it.

Screenshot(s):
Spoiler: show

CLICK THIS TO DOWNLOAD "Cherry Island"

Stratosphere (v.1.3.0.1)
Let's take Mario to the sky!

Screenshot(s):

CLICK THIS TO DOWNLOAD "Stratosphere"
Last edited by AlphaCPS on Thu May 17, 2018 5:46 am, edited 14 times in total.

youngtomlin
Level Reviewer
Level Reviewer

Re: AlphaCPS's Level Temple

Postby youngtomlin » Wed Sep 07, 2016 11:38 am

Here is my review from before.

Design
This is a pretty decent oriental themed level. It looks nice and has a lot of decoration. It has bamboo stick's which you can't climb and some nice temples to recreate the Japanese feel of the level. It looks great as you travel through and really sticks with the theme. The level is not very long however and it has not got a unique section to it. It's just a run and jump through areas which it only has two and one secret which is at the start. It heads into a cave and gives you a Fire Flower and such. You get a lot of power ups in this area. Three in total but because the level is really quite short it feels like there are too many. I would remove the third flower in the level to make it more balanced. There are also two blocks in the second area. That look like this.

If you jump between the two blocks, which I did by accident you can get stuck. I would add another block between the two, so you can prevent that from happening. The level's first section was very pretty, as said before with the bridges and the pink trees and it makes the whole level look very pretty. In the second section, there are a variety of enemies that I don't think fit the level very well. There are Spinies, Rex's and a couple of Bullet Bills that I felt were just thrown in there. The Volcano Lotus's fit the theme very well and so do the Galoomba's however the other enemies just do click with the theme.

Difficulty
This level is not very hard. The enemies don't really pose a threat and in the second section the only enemies that proved a slight challenge were the Lotus's and the Bullet Bills. It still is not very hard because how short the level is. Even if you do die. It's not very taxing to get back where you were very quickly and there are a lot of Fire Flowers so when you take damage it does not really affect the player that much. There are not many platforms or challenging areas much either so you might wan't to add some of that to make your level more enjoyable.

Enjoyability
The level is beautiful to look at as it has a lot of decoration and scenery. I just think it's lacking in difficulty and length. There are it would be better if the level added something unique so it's not just an everyday overworld level and it would be awesome to add some more secrets.

Overall
A great looking level that just needs a bit more added to it to make it more unique. It's is lacking challenge and is very easy to play. If you add a chunk on too the end that's unique this level would be great to play.

6/10

Aero
Palom
Palom
Flair: Pirate economy
Chat Username: aero

Postby Aero » Wed Sep 07, 2016 12:13 pm

(Repost)

There are two areas that I found where you can go above the level:

Here:
and here:
Also as youngtomlin pointed out, the section with the two blocks is glitchy:

Extend your walls and ceilings above the level's top boundary to prevent this. Ignoring this though, this level was decent and you did a wonderful job with keeping to the Japanese theme. There isn't much of a challenge though which makes things kind of dull. For example while you did make a good Japanese themed level, if you just took away the CGFX and music this would be a typical level with nothing to see. Try introducing gimmicks, and steadily increasing difficulty to avoid the run-to-the-right design flaws. Now this might be nitpicking but for the platform that moves up and down in my first screenshot, it would be better if it stopped and started so it isn't too much of a hassle to get on it while trying to predict where it will be.

Oh, and by the way try using a GIF optimizer to knock a few seconds of the load time because of the custom graphics.

AlphaCPS
Fighter Fly
Fighter Fly
Flair: generic flair
Chat Username: αCPS

Postby AlphaCPS » Thu Sep 08, 2016 6:40 am

Thank you both for the criticism! :D
I have no signature.

Return to “Levels”