We need more unique episodes.

General discussion about Super Mario Bros. X.
Forum rules
Before you make a topic/post, consider the following:
-Is there a topic for this already?
-Is your post on-topic/appropriate?
-Are you posting in the right forum/following the forum rules?
Inspirited
Pokey
Pokey

Re: We need more unique episodes.

Postby Inspirited » Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:44 pm

Even nintendo themselves weren't creative with their NSMB games after the first one.
Check out my levels!

Rhosty
Larry Koopa
Larry Koopa
Flair: All toasters toast toast
Current Project: Nothing
Chat Username: practical

Postby Rhosty » Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:15 pm

TheDinoKing wrote: However one thing I've noticed is how most episode always have the same 8 worlds + 1 secret world structure.
I've seen a couple episodes with more or less than 8 worlds, but never any with more than one secret world, kind of like how SM3DW was.

NightKawata
Mega Mole
Mega Mole
Current Project: Metanet Hunter -1
Chat Username: NightKawata

Postby NightKawata » Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:42 pm

Inspirited wrote:Even nintendo themselves weren't creative with their NSMB games after the first one.
keep in mind they also tend to produce unique assets or things that'll occasionally make the stages different to play

but at the same time it can seem very repetitive when they tend to not mix up the world progession too much

but mario is also nintendo's safe business model, and they tend to play him a little too safe (thankfully odyssey seems to break the mold)
Go play Metanet Hunter CD: http://store.steampowered.com/app/586570/
Go look at Metanet Hunter CD: viewtopic.php?f=51&t=15229

Code: Select all

>mario isn't canon, when you die he faces the screen

Uchiha Madara
Bob-omb
Bob-omb
Current Project: Wario Bros. & The Royal Gem

Postby Uchiha Madara » Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:18 pm

practicalshorty014 wrote:
TheDinoKing wrote: However one thing I've noticed is how most episode always have the same 8 worlds + 1 secret world structure.
I've seen a couple episodes with more or less than 8 worlds, but never any with more than one secret world, kind of like how SM3DW was.
And usually they always follow the same sequence:

World 1 - Grass Levels
World 2 - Desert Levels
World 3 - Ice Levels
World 4 - Forest Levels
World 5 - Mountain Levels
World 6 - Water Levels
World 7 - Cloud Levels
World 8 - Lava Levels
Special World

However, I think the last episode I saw that was completely groundbreaking was the Wario Bros. & The Pandora's Box.
If you're talking about innovating in a way to sustain episode, the only one I saw doing something different in his episode was Sambo.
That would have 7 worlds and you could choose any order to complete them, and in the end when you get the 7 stars, you can enter the Castle of Bowser, to defeat him.
But even a few episodes following the "patterns" of most episodes, they draw a lot of attention as well.
I do not like linear levels, but the advantage of them is that they are little confusing. Most of the nonlinear levels I see on the forum are confusing, and you don't know which way to go. What is another problem of exploitation levels, which some users had quoted.

"Luxury, like fire, devour everything and perish of hunger"

My project: Wario Bros. & The Royal Gem

Suporting: show

HeroLinik
Cyan Yoshi Egg
Cyan Yoshi Egg
Current Project: Stupid university assignments :/
Chat Username: Look below my avatar

Postby HeroLinik » Wed Apr 05, 2017 12:15 pm

Uchiha Madara wrote:I do not like linear levels, but the advantage of them is that they are little confusing. Most of the nonlinear levels I see on the forum are confusing, and you don't know which way to go. What is another problem of exploitation levels, which some users had quoted.
This problem has been around for ages - it hasn't just popped up now. Back in 2012 and 2013, nonlinear levels were all the rage, and everyone wanted to make one. The problem here is that it's actually quite hard to make a successful nonlinear level without making it too much of a maze or sectioning off too many areas to the point where it's actually a linear path. Adding to this, another problem is the use of switch blocks as they're often used with nonlinear levels. Solely building a level around them is an example of bad design, because not only is it overdone, but it shows a lack of skill with layers and events because you're just copping out of them. Also, why don't you like linear levels? If done right they can actually score quite well.
I support: show
Lol, you got trolled. Move along, if you please.
Check out my content on YouTube! // Don't forget to check out my project as well!

Uchiha Madara
Bob-omb
Bob-omb
Current Project: Wario Bros. & The Royal Gem

Postby Uchiha Madara » Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:14 pm

HeroLinik wrote:Also, why don't you like linear levels? If done right they can actually score quite well.
Actually, I like linear levels. But between linear and nonlinear I really prefer non-linear...
I think it adds a lot more to an episode, making it more fun and dynamic.
HeroLinik wrote:Adding to this, another problem is the use of switch blocks as they're often used with nonlinear levels. Solely building a level around them is an example of bad design, because not only is it overdone, but it shows a lack of skill with layers and events because you're just copping out of them.
Also, switchs are really a problem. I remember that before the SMSE, I almost never saw them (Yes, we went back to the part where we said that SMSE and TI2 would be the basis for most of the episodes)... Now it is difficult to see a level without switches.
People see something going right and they are beginning to use it on their levels. But they do not realize that they are not the only ones who think about it. Hence we have a lot of levels with different themes, but with equal mechanics. Which leads to the fact that the episodes are repetitive, cloying and not funny.
Even though I think that in competition levels, the switches are viable, the levels of an episode should not have switchs, for the most part.

"Luxury, like fire, devour everything and perish of hunger"

My project: Wario Bros. & The Royal Gem

Suporting: show

Electriking
Flair: I have NO idea what to put here
Current Project: Something
Chat Username: ElectriKing

Postby Electriking » Sat Apr 08, 2017 4:16 am

Uchiha Madara wrote:Even though I think that in competition levels, the switches are viable, the levels of an episode should not have switchs, for the most part.
Unless you do it in the way SMW does it, where you have to find switch palaces and press their switches to access new areas in levels.
SMM2 ID: JJF-P7G-FSF

Enjl
Cute Yoshi Egg
Cute Yoshi Egg
Flair: Orphion Egamalenitar Osmos IV, Esq.

Postby Enjl » Sat Apr 08, 2017 4:34 am

Switches should be used for platforming or puzzles. Not for a hunt.
Linear levels have the benefit of being more focused on their core idea.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

NightKawata
Mega Mole
Mega Mole

Postby NightKawata » Sun Apr 09, 2017 12:18 pm

obviously let's make MORE levels starring... LINK!!! yeah!!! that's the issue!!!
woooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Zipper
Ripper II
Ripper II
Current Project: sos
Chat Username: ZipperQR

Postby Zipper » Sun Apr 09, 2017 12:58 pm

you make it sound like a shitpost, but Link at least plays differently from other characters

NightKawata
Mega Mole
Mega Mole

Postby NightKawata » Sun Apr 09, 2017 4:38 pm

Zipper wrote:you make it sound like a shitpost, but Link at least plays differently from other characters
Oh, there were a few underlying tones in there.
With that being said, it's still impressive Link of all things managed to integrate nicely into a bloody Mario game, something that I wouldn't have expected to have worked as well.
Nuances aside he's one of the best characters in his own regards and shakes up the formula somewhat.

Always wanted to make a Zelda 2 thing, non SMBX-related.

ShaolinTrunks
Bob-omb
Bob-omb
Current Project: Teen Trunks Adventures
Chat Username: ShaolinTrunks

Postby ShaolinTrunks » Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:48 am

I am currently making a link game. And now I am learning that he is very limited. However making a game that is good only using links skills and some lunalua I am confident a really good link game can be. BTW I am sprite teen trunks from fanofsmbx so it looks like I am hitting enemies with my fists and kicks instead of swords.
Thanks to the SMBX Community.

HeroLinik
Cyan Yoshi Egg
Cyan Yoshi Egg
Current Project: Stupid university assignments :/
Chat Username: Look below my avatar

Postby HeroLinik » Wed Apr 12, 2017 4:21 am

ShaolinTrunks wrote:I am currently making a link game. And now I am learning that he is very limited.
Link isn't very limited, you're most likely not used to using him yet. The only things he can't do is utilise carryable items and rideable NPCs, so your best bet is to try and build the episode so it doesn't use those features. As soon as you get used to playing as Link, you'll soon realise just how much of a beast he is, killing everything left and right while leaving rupees in his wake. Speaking of which, don't put too many rupees in a Link episode otherwise you'll be swimming in lives by the time you've beaten the third level.
I support: show
Lol, you got trolled. Move along, if you please.
Check out my content on YouTube! // Don't forget to check out my project as well!

PixelPest
Link
Link
Flair: Tamer of Boom Booms
Current Project: Boom Boom Evolution
Chat Username: PixelPest

Postby PixelPest » Wed Apr 12, 2017 7:27 am

ShaolinTrunks wrote:I am currently making a link game. And now I am learning that he is very limited. However making a game that is good only using links skills and some lunalua I am confident a really good link game can be. BTW I am sprite teen trunks from fanofsmbx so it looks like I am hitting enemies with my fists and kicks instead of swords.
viewtopic.php?f=69&t=15529

ShaolinTrunks
Bob-omb
Bob-omb
Current Project: Teen Trunks Adventures
Chat Username: ShaolinTrunks

Postby ShaolinTrunks » Wed Apr 12, 2017 2:51 pm

HeroLinik wrote:
ShaolinTrunks wrote:I am currently making a link game. And now I am learning that he is very limited.
Link isn't very limited, you're most likely not used to using him yet. The only things he can't do is utilise carryable items and rideable NPCs, so your best bet is to try and build the episode so it doesn't use those features. As soon as you get used to playing as Link, you'll soon realise just how much of a beast he is, killing everything left and right while leaving rupees in his wake. Speaking of which, don't put too many rupees in a Link episode otherwise you'll be swimming in lives by the time you've beaten the third level.
Thanks, he is a beast actually. I want to learn everything about him. to solve the problem with rupees spawning on enemies is, I can control that with lunalua. That is something definitely to think about, is the npc rupee rewards and the extra lives dragon coins give. Because I also have a raocoin system in my game, I should change that aswell. Does the points system in SMBX give lives, I know it sounds dumb to ask lol.
Thanks to the SMBX Community.

Electriking
Flair: I have NO idea what to put here
Current Project: Something
Chat Username: ElectriKing

Postby Electriking » Wed Apr 12, 2017 4:43 pm

ShaolinTrunks wrote:Does the points system in SMBX give lives, I know it sounds dumb to ask lol.
No
SMM2 ID: JJF-P7G-FSF

timocomsmbx2345
Ninji
Ninji
Current Project: i dont even know anymore. . . .
Chat Username: same as my username

Postby timocomsmbx2345 » Fri Apr 14, 2017 8:02 am

Well that requires 4-6 months worth of lunalua like most games where you play as mudkip
SMBX 2.0 β4 is here!!! How about 2.0 β5?
ImageImage
Meepyglobix wrote:DON'T SAY "38A??". OR I'll SHOOT YOU.
Spoiler: show
Image Thanks Pixelpest!!!!

Suckerman7 GM
Lakitu
Lakitu
Flair: A Mario Fan
Current Project: Writing lores for DrMekar's project, beta-testing...
Chat Username: Suckerman7 GM

Postby Suckerman7 GM » Tue Apr 18, 2017 2:35 pm

Well, we need some Megaman-styled SMBX episodes where you can choose from 8 different bosses like the classics as you wish. I'm actually thinking of making one, but I think I'll make it in SMBX 2.0 if possible. (As you need Lunalua for the custom power-ups from the bosses like Megaman games.)

Snessy the duck
Ludwig von Koopa
Ludwig von Koopa
Current Project: idk lol

Postby Snessy the duck » Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:47 am

Suckerman7 GM wrote:Well, we need some Megaman-styled SMBX episodes where you can choose from 8 different bosses like the classics as you wish. I'm actually thinking of making one, but I think I'll make it in SMBX 2.0 if possible. (As you need Lunalua for the custom power-ups from the bosses like Megaman games.)
Also you can play as Megaman in 2.0, so there's that.

My Switch friend code: SW-5399-6466-3493

Suckerman7 GM
Lakitu
Lakitu
Flair: A Mario Fan
Current Project: Writing lores for DrMekar's project, beta-testing...
Chat Username: Suckerman7 GM

Postby Suckerman7 GM » Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:02 am

Snessy the duck wrote:
Suckerman7 GM wrote:Well, we need some Megaman-styled SMBX episodes where you can choose from 8 different bosses like the classics as you wish. I'm actually thinking of making one, but I think I'll make it in SMBX 2.0 if possible. (As you need Lunalua for the custom power-ups from the bosses like Megaman games.)
Also you can play as Megaman in 2.0, so there's that.

Nice to know that, man!

Return to “General”