Super Mario Miracle (Odyssey-esque Collectathon!)

Share your completed SMBX episodes or play and discuss others.
TheNewGuy
Eerie
Eerie
Posts: 928
Joined: Sat Dec 16, 2017 6:32 am
Chat Username: TNG
Contact:

Re: Super Mario Miracle (Odyssey-esque Collectathon!)

Postby TheNewGuy » Mon Feb 26, 2018 4:58 pm

So far this is good. How long did it take you to make this?
I support:
Spoiler: show
Image
Image
Image
Image

User avatar
jaf
Spiny
Spiny
Posts: 49
Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:20 am
Chat Username: jaf
Contact:

Re: Super Mario Miracle (Odyssey-esque Collectathon!)

Postby jaf » Mon Feb 26, 2018 5:49 pm

FanofSMBX wrote:Don't forget that Chad made the main one
I did forget actually. I'll update it soon.
not rockythechao wrote:Heck yeah, I'm 100% down for more collectathon episodes!
edit: see my sig regarding it being hosted on mediafire
Not sure if I understand the problem, but here's a dropbox link anyway: https://www.dropbox.com/s/tlt5j8rl3lmfd ... 1.zip?dl=0
Should work. I'm also gonna add it to the first post under additional downloads.
TheNewGuy wrote:So far this is good. How long did it take you to make this?
Not too long actually. I started around two weeks after Odyssey came out and was done mid-january (only testing and minor adjustments (and exams) afterwards) so I guess it took about two and a half months? It was fun.
My episodes:
Spoiler: show
Image Image

TheNewGuy
Eerie
Eerie
Posts: 928
Joined: Sat Dec 16, 2017 6:32 am
Chat Username: TNG
Contact:

Re: Super Mario Miracle (Odyssey-esque Collectathon!)

Postby TheNewGuy » Tue Feb 27, 2018 4:14 pm

My problems so far:
you gave out 4 free moons in the first level without the challenge room. Why?
The boss message at the end of the fight is too long to fit on my screen. (windowed mode). I suggest you to split the message in 2.
I support:
Spoiler: show
Image
Image
Image
Image

User avatar
jaf
Spiny
Spiny
Posts: 49
Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:20 am
Chat Username: jaf
Contact:

Re: Super Mario Miracle (Odyssey-esque Collectathon!)

Postby jaf » Tue Feb 27, 2018 4:42 pm

TheNewGuy wrote:My problems so far:
you gave out 4 free moons in the first level without the challenge room. Why?
The boss message at the end of the fight is too long to fit on my screen. (windowed mode). I suggest you to split the message in 2.
1. Not all moons are at the end of a challenge room, in fact most of them aren't. That's why I said they work like in Super Mario Odyssey, if you're familiar with that game.
2. Yes, it's a joke.
My episodes:
Spoiler: show
Image Image

TheNewGuy
Eerie
Eerie
Posts: 928
Joined: Sat Dec 16, 2017 6:32 am
Chat Username: TNG
Contact:

Re: Super Mario Miracle (Odyssey-esque Collectathon!)

Postby TheNewGuy » Tue Feb 27, 2018 4:47 pm

jaf wrote:
TheNewGuy wrote:My problems so far:
you gave out 4 free moons in the first level without the challenge room. Why?
The boss message at the end of the fight is too long to fit on my screen. (windowed mode). I suggest you to split the message in 2.
1. Not all moons are at the end of a challenge room, in fact most of them aren't. That's why I said they work like in Super Mario Odyssey, if you're familiar with that game.
2. Yes, it's a joke.
Yes I understand when he spammed bloops it only said a short sentance and when he said one bloop it was too long to fit on the screen.
Also, the first moon on the second level is too easy, there are even coins suggesting it's there.
I support:
Spoiler: show
Image
Image
Image
Image

User avatar
jaf
Spiny
Spiny
Posts: 49
Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:20 am
Chat Username: jaf
Contact:

Re: Super Mario Miracle (Odyssey-esque Collectathon!)

Postby jaf » Tue Feb 27, 2018 5:13 pm

TheNewGuy wrote: Yes I understand when he spammed bloops it only said a short sentance and when he said one bloop it was too long to fit on the screen.
Also, the first moon on the second level is too easy, there are even coins suggesting it's there.
Well, some moons are meant to be much easier to find/get than others. I think an advantage of open Collectathons is that every player can make some progress no matter how skillful they are. Though that one is very unsubtle, you're right, maybe I SHOULD change that...
My episodes:
Spoiler: show
Image Image

TheNewGuy
Eerie
Eerie
Posts: 928
Joined: Sat Dec 16, 2017 6:32 am
Chat Username: TNG
Contact:

Re: Super Mario Miracle (Odyssey-esque Collectathon!)

Postby TheNewGuy » Tue Feb 27, 2018 5:25 pm

jaf wrote:
TheNewGuy wrote: Yes I understand when he spammed bloops it only said a short sentance and when he said one bloop it was too long to fit on the screen.
Also, the first moon on the second level is too easy, there are even coins suggesting it's there.
Well, some moons are meant to be much easier to find/get than others. I think an advantage of open Collectathons is that every player can make some progress no matter how skillful they are. Though that one is very unsubtle, you're right, maybe I SHOULD change that...
Maybe just remove the coins.Since there is already a file included telling all locations.
edit: the last boss was unexpected. My only problem is that enemies on eerie island are hard to see, but the best part of the level was the fake moon and sudden boss encounter.
Also, I beat your red switch speed record. Now it's the second switch.
I support:
Spoiler: show
Image
Image
Image
Image

User avatar
jaf
Spiny
Spiny
Posts: 49
Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:20 am
Chat Username: jaf
Contact:

Re: Super Mario Miracle (Odyssey-esque Collectathon!)

Postby jaf » Wed Feb 28, 2018 4:48 pm

TheNewGuy wrote: Maybe just remove the coins.Since there is already a file included telling all locations.
edit: the last boss was unexpected. My only problem is that enemies on eerie island are hard to see, but the best part of the level was the fake moon and sudden boss encounter.
Also, I beat your red switch speed record. Now it's the second switch.
Alright, thanks for your feedback and for playing through the game! And you're right, the enemies on Eerie Island should stick out more. I changed that now. I made the one in the second level a little harder to see too, though I didn't remove the coins completely, that would be too hard.

I think you misunderstood the speed record (because I worded it poorly), the record is not the first red switch, but the rightmost one (the fastest one)
My episodes:
Spoiler: show
Image Image

TheNewGuy
Eerie
Eerie
Posts: 928
Joined: Sat Dec 16, 2017 6:32 am
Chat Username: TNG
Contact:

Re: Super Mario Miracle (Odyssey-esque Collectathon!)

Postby TheNewGuy » Wed Feb 28, 2018 5:35 pm

jaf wrote:
TheNewGuy wrote: Maybe just remove the coins.Since there is already a file included telling all locations.
edit: the last boss was unexpected. My only problem is that enemies on eerie island are hard to see, but the best part of the level was the fake moon and sudden boss encounter.
Also, I beat your red switch speed record. Now it's the second switch.
Alright, thanks for your feedback and for playing through the game! And you're right, the enemies on Eerie Island should stick out more. I changed that now. I made the one in the second level a little harder to see too, though I didn't remove the coins completely, that would be too hard.

I think you misunderstood the speed record (because I worded it poorly), the record is not the first red switch, but the rightmost one (the fastest one)
Is the record even beatable now?
Also minor issue I forgot to mention:
You can farm 1ups during the bat boss. I made it to like 80 1ups and it was the 4th level. I think 60 are too much in the intro level. But if you skip the intro you only start with 3.
Also, the sign in eerie island saying to press the spin jump button to spin jump is unnecessary.
I support:
Spoiler: show
Image
Image
Image
Image

User avatar
jaf
Spiny
Spiny
Posts: 49
Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:20 am
Chat Username: jaf
Contact:

Re: Super Mario Miracle (Odyssey-esque Collectathon!)

Postby jaf » Wed Feb 28, 2018 6:40 pm

TheNewGuy wrote: Is the record even beatable now?
Also minor issue I forgot to mention:
You can farm 1ups during the bat boss. I made it to like 80 1ups and it was the 4th level. I think 60 are too much in the intro level. But if you skip the intro you only start with 3.
Also, the sign in eerie island saying to press the spin jump button to spin jump is unnecessary.
I don't know if it's beatable, it probably is, but I have never beaten it (obviously, if I had it wouldn't be my personal best)

I don't really want Game Overs in my episode, but since I can't disable them, I had the player get a lot of them in the intro. I could've also had a room where you shower in a 1-Up generator (like Super Mario Enigmatic did if I recall correctly) but I thought implementing it in the intro was kind of nifty
Well and if you already have that many, how many more you can farm doesn't really matter, at least that was my line of thinking. I don't like 1Ups and Game Overs, but I know a lot of people disagree
My episodes:
Spoiler: show
Image Image

User avatar
DisOmikron
Fighter Fly
Fighter Fly
Posts: 71
Joined: Sun Jan 22, 2017 7:31 am
Chat Username: DisOmikron
Contact:

Re: Super Mario Miracle (Odyssey-esque Collectathon!)

Postby DisOmikron » Wed Feb 28, 2018 7:31 pm

TheNewGuy wrote: Also, the sign in eerie island saying to press the spin jump button to spin jump is unnecessary.
It's called humor.
[spoiler]Apfelsaft, der gibt dir Kraft. Apfelsaft macht Schicht im Schacht. Apfelsaft, oh Apfelsaft, ich bin so tough wie Apfelsaft.[/spoiler]

My YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/DisOmikron

TheNewGuy
Eerie
Eerie
Posts: 928
Joined: Sat Dec 16, 2017 6:32 am
Chat Username: TNG
Contact:

Re: Super Mario Miracle (Odyssey-esque Collectathon!)

Postby TheNewGuy » Thu Mar 01, 2018 6:03 am

jaf wrote:hi
Can I ask, where is the fire flower in the 2nd island?
Maybe I did find it but I was small Mario.
Maybe you could include the fire flower locations in the moon list.
I support:
Spoiler: show
Image
Image
Image
Image

User avatar
jaf
Spiny
Spiny
Posts: 49
Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:20 am
Chat Username: jaf
Contact:

Re: Super Mario Miracle (Odyssey-esque Collectathon!)

Postby jaf » Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:54 am

TheNewGuy wrote:
jaf wrote:hi
Can I ask, where is the fire flower in the 2nd island?
Maybe I did find it but I was small Mario.
Maybe you could include the fire flower locations in the moon list.
Spoiler: show
It's right here by the symmetrical grass thingies, in an invisible block. There are a lot of invisible blocks in "unnatural looking" spots like this
Image
Some of the fire flowers are devilishly hidden, and you don't need them to 100% the game anyway. Most people will probably only find one or two of them in the entire episode. I don't think I'm going to add them to the Moon List, but maybe I'll make a video guide later today
My episodes:
Spoiler: show
Image Image

TheNewGuy
Eerie
Eerie
Posts: 928
Joined: Sat Dec 16, 2017 6:32 am
Chat Username: TNG
Contact:

Re: Super Mario Miracle (Odyssey-esque Collectathon!)

Postby TheNewGuy » Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:00 am

jaf wrote:
TheNewGuy wrote:
jaf wrote:hi
Can I ask, where is the fire flower in the 2nd island?
Maybe I did find it but I was small Mario.
Maybe you could include the fire flower locations in the moon list.
Spoiler: show
It's right here by the symmetrical grass thingies, in an invisible block. There are a lot of invisible blocks in "unnatural looking" spots like this
Image
Some of the fire flowers are devilishly hidden, and you don't need them to 100% the game anyway. Most people will probably only find one or two of them in the entire episode. I don't think I'm going to add them to the Moon List, but maybe I'll make a video guide later today
And I thought you needed to bullet jump up there.
Now I noticed, I have 111 moons.
I support:
Spoiler: show
Image
Image
Image
Image

User avatar
Taycamgame
Gold Yoshi Egg
Gold Yoshi Egg
Posts: 1369
Joined: Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:35 am
Flair: Stargard
Current Project: Mario's Kingdom Adventure
Chat Username: Taycamgame
Contact:

Re: Super Mario Miracle (Odyssey-esque Collectathon!)

Postby Taycamgame » Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:05 am

The concentration challenge in the neon island is quite hard, the one with the flying yellow blocks you need to chase while hitting blue blocks. Also, i like the concept of the game so far, it's really interesting!
Official Level Reviewer (My Gold Yoshi Egg rank replaced the level reviewer icon, but i am still a level reviewer).
Image
Image
Image
Image
Check out the World Map Service that i host:
viewtopic.php?p=316733#p316733
Check out the projects i support:
Spoiler: show
ImageImage
Image
Image
Quotes: show
xDestroy wrote:
Wellington Games wrote:Taycamgame, I know how to take screenshots in the SMBX.
https://nsmbx.proboards.com/
------
Tower Mario Bros.

TheNewGuy
Eerie
Eerie
Posts: 928
Joined: Sat Dec 16, 2017 6:32 am
Chat Username: TNG
Contact:

Re: Super Mario Miracle (Odyssey-esque Collectathon!)

Postby TheNewGuy » Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:15 am

Taycamgame wrote:The concentration challenge in the neon island is quite hard, the one with the flying yellow blocks you need to chase while hitting blue blocks. Also, i like the concept of the game so far, it's really interesting!
If you are small mario, you can tiny jump to avoid hitting the switches. If the gap is too big, you can hit the switch.
I support:
Spoiler: show
Image
Image
Image
Image

User avatar
jaf
Spiny
Spiny
Posts: 49
Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:20 am
Chat Username: jaf
Contact:

Re: Super Mario Miracle (Odyssey-esque Collectathon!)

Postby jaf » Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:17 am

TheNewGuy wrote: And I thought you needed to bullet jump up there.
Now I noticed, I have 111 moons.
Hey, that's almost all of them! Good job. Didn't really think anyone would try to go for 100%, but I'm glad I was wrong. Don't expect anything from the 100% reward though.
Taycamgame wrote:The concentration challenge in the neon island is quite hard, the one with the flying yellow blocks you need to chase while hitting blue blocks. Also, i like the concept of the game so far, it's really interesting!
Glad you're enjoying it! And yeah, it is pretty hard, but it's also only about 15 seconds long.
TheNewGuy wrote: If you are small mario, you can tiny jump to avoid hitting the switches. If the gap is too big, you can hit the switch.
Well or you can do that... lol
My episodes:
Spoiler: show
Image Image

TheNewGuy
Eerie
Eerie
Posts: 928
Joined: Sat Dec 16, 2017 6:32 am
Chat Username: TNG
Contact:

Re: Super Mario Miracle (Odyssey-esque Collectathon!)

Postby TheNewGuy » Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:51 am

jaf wrote:
TheNewGuy wrote: And I thought you needed to bullet jump up there.
Now I noticed, I have 111 moons.
Hey, that's almost all of them! Good job. Didn't really think anyone would try to go for 100%, but I'm glad I was wrong. Don't expect anything from the 100% reward though.
Taycamgame wrote:The concentration challenge in the neon island is quite hard, the one with the flying yellow blocks you need to chase while hitting blue blocks. Also, i like the concept of the game so far, it's really interesting!
Glad you're enjoying it! And yeah, it is pretty hard, but it's also only about 15 seconds long.
TheNewGuy wrote: If you are small mario, you can tiny jump to avoid hitting the switches. If the gap is too big, you can hit the switch.
Well or you can do that... lol
I like that the miracle island had only 2 moons.
Now I found out I was missing 1 moon from the first level.
I thought that door was there for the boss exit :lol:
I think playing link after 100% completing the game will break it.
But who cares.
The last level was the best in the episode. You made wall jumping possible without lunalua and made the last boss awesome. The escape was awesome. But I did get an error when the goomba appeared (not the joke boss). You should check that out.
I support:
Spoiler: show
Image
Image
Image
Image

User avatar
jaf
Spiny
Spiny
Posts: 49
Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:20 am
Chat Username: jaf
Contact:

Re: Super Mario Miracle (Odyssey-esque Collectathon!)

Postby jaf » Thu Mar 01, 2018 2:20 pm

TheNewGuy wrote: I like that the miracle island had only 2 moons.
Now I found out I was missing 1 moon from the first level.
I thought that door was there for the boss exit :lol:
I think playing link after 100% completing the game will break it.
But who cares.
The last level was the best in the episode. You made wall jumping possible without lunalua and made the last boss awesome. The escape was awesome. But I did get an error when the goomba appeared (not the joke boss). You should check that out.
Thanks a lot, that's very flattering! I put a lot of effort into making the finale as cool and memorable as possible. I wonder if you're the first (non-playtesting) person to get 100%. In any case, congrats!

You're talking about when the Goomba King appeared on the tower, right? I have no idea what could have caused that error, I never had it. I think I need to investigate that.
My episodes:
Spoiler: show
Image Image

TheNewGuy
Eerie
Eerie
Posts: 928
Joined: Sat Dec 16, 2017 6:32 am
Chat Username: TNG
Contact:

Re: Super Mario Miracle (Odyssey-esque Collectathon!)

Postby TheNewGuy » Thu Mar 01, 2018 2:26 pm

jaf wrote:
Thanks a lot, that's very flattering! I put a lot of effort into making the finale as cool and memorable as possible. I wonder if you're the first (non-playtesting) person to get 100%. In any case, congrats!

You're talking about when the Goomba King appeared on the tower, right? I have no idea what could have caused that error, I never had it. I think I need to investigate that.
Yes, I got an error saying file missing and after I clicked ok, thunders appeared and the tower started collapsing.
Also,why didn't I get a moon when collecting all red coins in the twin peak section?
Edit: I found out the village has only 10 moons instead of 13.
And when you exit the level it shows 13/13.
The total moon count should be 115 instead of 112.
I support:
Spoiler: show
Image
Image
Image
Image


Return to “Episodes”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests