PGE Project thread (Editor v0.3.1.15, Engine v0.3.1)

General discussion about Super Mario Bros. X.
Forum rules
Before you make a topic/post, consider the following:
-Is there a topic for this already?
-Is your post on-topic/appropriate?
-Are you posting in the right forum/following the forum rules?
Wohlstand
Boom Boom
Boom Boom
Current Project: Moondust (PGE Project)
Chat Username: Wohlstand#4881

Re: PGE Project thread (Editor v0.3.1.13, Engine v0.3)

Postby Wohlstand » Tue May 01, 2018 1:47 pm

Dex wrote: Wow, PGE was much simpler than I thought. I can see I have been very conservative sticking with the original editor :D
Legacy editor sucks by lots of reasons (not only because of bugs still not fixed), which a main reason why I made PGE Editor be different from original concept. As you see it's a part of a big project to completely replace legacy SMBX Engine with much more flexible, stable engine and toolkit.
Dex wrote:What are "dummy blocks"?
There are reserved elements made by Redigit and not used yet. Everything began from the dummy NPCs here: https://wohlsoft.ru/pgewiki/Dummy_NPCs_(SMBX)
With the hacks on LunaLua side, it's possible to have more dummy elements are using for Lua-coded creatures and things.
Dex wrote:And what is the difference between LunaTester and normal testing?
  • LunaTester is the IPS later over LunaLua subsystem. It allows running of level testing through legacy engine. However, on older systems this works clunky and SMBX is crashy or works unstable by crap of itself.
  • Normal testing that you meant, it's the testing through PGE Engine - it's a WIP engine intended to replace SMBX Engine which provides lots of own advanced features, works stable and fast without of system overloading, and has the native cross-platform support (as PGE itself which does support for Linux, Windows and macOS platforms). It allows you to run the testing of world maps in the interactive mode (without of entering into levels, but gives you ability to simulate exit code to probe the reaction of the path opener).
PGE Project, my Media and supported projects: show
Support me on the Patreon

PGE Project
PGE Project SMBX Topic
PGE Project Official Site and forums
Download fresh experimental builds HERE!
LunaLua
LunaLUA - is a LUA scripting add-on for a LunaDLL

My Media:
My MIDI-music
Pure HQ Music Pack for SMBX
Pure HQ Sound Pack for SMBX
SMBX OPL Sound pack (Created with Yamaha OPL chip and MIDI files)
SMBX38A is here
SMBX-38A download, help and support HERE (SMBX-38A (a.k.a. 1.4.x) - is Chinese unofficial continuation of SMBX)

I'm support:

P.S. I don't like huge signatures which would be annoying, therefore I put huge content into spoilers

SE40
Bit
Bit
Flair: es-eee-fourty
Current Project: 0_Night
Chat Username: SE40#6272

Postby SE40 » Tue May 01, 2018 2:20 pm

Wohlstand wrote:There are reserved elements made by Redigit and not used yet. Everything began from the dummy NPCs here: https://wohlsoft.ru/pgewiki/Dummy_NPCs_(SMBX)
With the hacks on LunaLua side, it's possible to have more dummy elements are using for Lua-coded creatures and things.
So they are NPCs that I can customize to anything I want?
P.k.a. Dex

Join my NEW discord server: https://discord.gg/yxxEnh8

Wohlstand
Boom Boom
Boom Boom

Postby Wohlstand » Tue May 01, 2018 2:22 pm

Dex wrote:
Wohlstand wrote:There are reserved elements made by Redigit and not used yet. Everything began from the dummy NPCs here: https://wohlsoft.ru/pgewiki/Dummy_NPCs_(SMBX)
So they are NPCs that I can customize to anything I want?
Look: That is true when you targeting Vanilla SMBX base (or standalone LunaLua-SMBX). But, in SMBX2 those NPCs are now busy with a new elements.

PGE Project
PGE Project SMBX Topic
LunaLua

My Media:
My MIDI-music
SMBX38A is here
SMBX-38A download, help and support HERE (SMBX-38A (a.k.a. 1.4.x) - is Chinese unofficial continuation of SMBX)

I'm support:

P.S. I don't like huge signatures which would be annoying, therefore I put huge content into spoilers

SE40
Bit
Bit
Flair: es-eee-fourty
Current Project: 0_Night
Chat Username: SE40#6272

Postby SE40 » Tue May 01, 2018 2:27 pm

Wohlstand wrote:Look: That is true when you targeting Vanilla SMBX base (or standalone LunaLua-SMBX). But, in SMBX2 those NPCs are now busy with a new elements.
I see. Thanks for answering!
P.k.a. Dex

Join my NEW discord server: https://discord.gg/yxxEnh8

AAguy11
Cheep-Cheep
Cheep-Cheep
Flair: Gumball Fanguy Guyman
Current Project: Hammer Brothers VS Petey Piranhas
Chat Username: AaGuy

Postby AAguy11 » Thu May 24, 2018 9:21 am

Soild 10/10
AA
Switch Friend Code: SW-6968-7707-8177
3DS Friend Code: 4055-9039-3485
Coming Soon (Probably never since I'm procrastinating)

Wohlstand
Boom Boom
Boom Boom

A delayed announcement of PGE update: PGE Editor 0.3.1.15 and PGE Engine 0.3.1-alpha

Postby Wohlstand » Thu Nov 15, 2018 3:28 pm

Hello!

Greetings everyone! Sorry for the long delay in announcements related to the PGE toolchain. I still mostly work on most of PGE intensely when I can despite having issues with finding free time to do so. For the time being, I am going to to showcase changes and improvements I have made to PGE components for two years.

Editor
The PGE editor has gotten an updated engine with features such as item and tileset editor toolboxes. There also many new features that allow you to better search, change order or filter various specifications. The tileset editor has finally got a filtering feature that we found was a necessity for tileset creators. The tileset itembox now has a nice tab widget instead of combo-boxes (a.k.a. drop-down lists) for tileset groups, and the menu button to show a full tileset groups list as a menu (this is helpful when tileset lists are too long). The full changelog containing a list of significant changes can be found below:
Spoiler: show
Editor 0.3.1.15
- Tilesets item box: ComboBox of groups has been replaced with a tab-bar and the right-side menu
- Added weight order factor for tileset groups
- Player start points now aligning with 16x16 grid size
- Support for the now outdated Legacy Editor level test run feature has been removed due to it being the cause of numerous issues.
- Fixed synchronization of the world map item box and the tool button
- Added a feature to declare default visibility of visible toolboxes in the config pack main.ini
- Added a visual indicator of the Background-ID in the level section backgrounds list
- Added a button in the Level Section Properties toolbox to open custom background config files
- Added ability to set default zoom on file open or create (In the Application Settings and Editor tab)
- Multiple files can now be opened by the file dialog option executed from the "File -> Open" menu
- Added support for custom config side animation sequences for BGO, Terrain tiles, Sceneries, Paths, and level entrance points
- Improved sizable blocks rendering algorithm: now it supports customized fixed-size border width (both for common and for individual sides)
- Added weight order factor for tileset categories
- Added search and configurable sort into The Tileset Editor
- Reworked filtering system on Level Item-Box
- Sizable blocks now support an animated textures
- Added support for bitblit mask fallback (using default PNG to regenerate the missing mask)
- Resize box's grid size is now affecting by the grid override feature.
- The strict SMBX64 mode will be kept when restoring files after a crash
- Fixed the spam of physical environment zones caused by history undo and redo
- Added support for grid offset for blocks
- Added support for Right-To-Left layout direction for Arabic, Hebrew, Persian, etc. languages
- Added an action for LunaTester to kill a running background instance
- Config pack reload will now save all opened files and restore them back after the reload
- Added ability to automatically restart editor on config pack switching
- Fixed a crash of the LunaTester when receiving an incorrect input from the LunaLua backend
- Added basic support for custom user data per every element on the level (Blocks, BGOs, and NPCs only yet)

Editor 0.3.1.14
- Fixed a crash on attempt to load some NPC-*.txt files with incorrect values (for example, a grid size value that equal to zero)
- World map elements now support "name" INI field
- Added an ability to pass CSS file by theme to stylize UI of Editor (CSS Reference is here: http://doc.qt.io/Qt-5/stylesheet-reference.html)

Editor 0.3.1.13-1
- Added ability to transform blocks into BGOs and BGOs into blocks

Engine
In this update, the Engine receives the benefits of TTF fallback support that allows displaying most of the texts correctly for cases when characters are not presented in a chosen raster font. Also included is repaired support for elements "hot placing" while running a level test from the Editor; finally giving an "attackArea" API that allows playable characters to have melee attacks (for example, raccoon tail whip, sword, punches, etc.). The full list can be seen below in the changelog:
- LuaJIT is now working on macOS!
- Using updated SDL Mixer X
- Fixed the date filenames generation for screenshots and recorded GIF movies
- Repaired TTF fallback support
- Added support for more than one TTF font loaded in one time
- Fixed inability to use hot-placing from the Editor's IPC
- Added support for custom config side animation sequence for BGO, Terrain tiles, Sceneries, Paths, and level entrance points
- Improved sizable blocks rendering algorithm: now it supports customizable fixed-size border width (both common and for each side individually)
- Fixed font manager font ID processing
- Sizable blocks now support an animated textures
- Fixed message box texture border width support
- Added support for bitblit mask fallback (using default PNG to regenerate the missing mask)
- Added attackArea lua function to a playable character which allows players to have melee attacks
- Added an experimental ability to customize in-game resolution by config pack from the engine.ini file
MusicPlayer
We did previously track the changelog for Music Player so this will be the first released changelog. This version of the music testing player has gotten a significantly improved seek bar that indicates the loop area with a blue zone. All MIDI related extra settings are moved into a separated widget that can be shown from context menu item. Additionally, a menu bar has been added where you can choose most features that were previously hidden.
* Changelog added.
* Split up MIDI Settings and SFX testing
* Added menu-bar
* Seek-bar has been replaced with a custom which now can indicate a loop range
* Meta-tag labels now has a marquee effect on mouse hover
* File re-open now no more causes the main toolbox to be moved on a certain distance
* MIDI settings now can be changed without a requirement of a MIDI file open
* Added ability to set up the chip emulator for ADLMIDI and OPNMIDI
* Added printing of arguments in the bottom of MIDI settings
Common
* Added global API version value for all PGE components that are using config packs
* QMake build with a set of bash scripts has been completely replaced with a superior CMake build
* Added ability to pack the whole source code pack from GIT repository includes all submodules (https://github.com/Kentzo/git-archive-all module is required)
* Windows Online Installer will now ship Timidity patches set to allow users to use the MIDI synthesizer. It also install the Lowser Conquest Demo episode with A2XT config pack to provide a ready-to-play environment for reviewers and testers that might be trying the PGE toolchain for the first time and/or lack familiarity with SMBX and related community stuff.
* The build system has been reorganized along with the introduction of config pack API versions. This means that I can produce updates of PGE stable builds more often

Download links can be found here:
* Stable builds: https://wohlsoft.ru/PGE/#links
* Fresh experimental / nightly builds: https://wohlsoft.ru/docs/_laboratory/

See ya hopefully soon for another update! ;-)

PGE Project
PGE Project SMBX Topic
LunaLua

My Media:
My MIDI-music
SMBX38A is here

I'm support:

MmmMario
Bit
Bit
Flair: Yeet
Current Project: My current project is living. Trust me, it's hard.
Chat Username: TawPawNaw

Re: PGE Project thread (Editor v0.3.1.15, Engine v0.3.1)

Postby MmmMario » Wed Apr 24, 2019 12:51 am

MarioLover64 wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 10:28 pm
How do I use the smbx 2.0 integration on Android?
You can't.
Here's Johnny

I will bore everyone out of their mind with my questions!!!
Does anyone else have the PostImages problem? Frankly, it annoys me that sometimes I can't view pictures.

Join mine and MemeLord's(PotatoMario's) server here: https://discord.gg/PUTNGKS

RudeGuy
Luigi
Luigi
Flair: help
Current Project: a random smw hack
Chat Username: rudeguy

Postby RudeGuy » Thu Apr 25, 2019 9:26 am

MarioLover64 wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 10:40 pm
None of the configurations seem to be working with PGE Android. I have no idea why.
PGE Android isn't a very stable or useful version of the program, and it probably won't be for a few years. You should download the desktop version.
Last edited by RudeGuy on Thu Apr 25, 2019 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
im bored

Wohlstand
Boom Boom
Boom Boom

Postby Wohlstand » Thu Apr 25, 2019 9:29 am

RudeGuy wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 9:26 am
MarioLover64 wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 10:40 pm
None of the configurations seem to be working with PGE Android. I have no idea why.
PGE Android isn't a very stable or useful version of the program, and it probably won't be for a few years. You should download the desktop version.
Editor for Android is an experimental mess which was made many years ago and later was trashed. The Engine is one thing that is really going to be on Android, and I have the working and playable stuff: https://wohlsoft.ru/pgewiki/PGE_Engine: ... ion_(2019)
Even if produce Editor for Android, it's more purposable to design absolutely different build with different design and UI which is targeted to work with touch devices rather mouse+keyboard like desktop Editor is made.

PGE Project
PGE Project SMBX Topic
LunaLua

My Media:
My MIDI-music
SMBX38A is here

I'm support:

MarioLover64
Fighter Fly
Fighter Fly

Postby MarioLover64 » Fri Apr 26, 2019 6:12 pm

How do I get PGE android to load the worldmap stuff and level stuff

Wohlstand
Boom Boom
Boom Boom

Postby Wohlstand » Fri Apr 26, 2019 7:12 pm

MarioLover64 wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2019 6:12 pm
How do I get PGE android to load the worldmap stuff and level stuff
You have to put your single levels (are out of episode) into the `/sdcard/PGE Project/worlds` folder, and then they are will appear in the "Play level" menu of ran game. Episodes put into the same "worlds" folder, they are organized like in SMBX. They are will appear in the single/together game play ;)

PGE Project
PGE Project SMBX Topic
LunaLua

My Media:
My MIDI-music
SMBX38A is here

I'm support:

MarioLover64
Fighter Fly
Fighter Fly

Postby MarioLover64 » Sat Apr 27, 2019 12:03 am

I meant for the configuration

Wohlstand
Boom Boom
Boom Boom

Postby Wohlstand » Sat Apr 27, 2019 4:47 am

MarioLover64 wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2019 12:03 am
I meant for the configuration
Config packs are installing into the `/sdcard/PGE Project/configs` folder by the same method as for desktop game. Anyway, don't forget about detailed manual I have.

PGE Project
PGE Project SMBX Topic
LunaLua

My Media:
My MIDI-music
SMBX38A is here

I'm support:

MarioLover64
Fighter Fly
Fighter Fly

Postby MarioLover64 » Sat Apr 27, 2019 7:35 am

Ok so I got it loaded but... I cant move. What have I done wrong?

Wohlstand
Boom Boom
Boom Boom

Postby Wohlstand » Sat Apr 27, 2019 7:57 am

MarioLover64 wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2019 7:35 am
Ok so I got it loaded but... I cant move. What have I done wrong?
Use on-screen touch buttons, do you see them?
Otherwise, plug a keyboard or joystick via OTG and set it up in the game menu. Which device you are using? Can you give a screenshot of the game from your device?

PGE Project
PGE Project SMBX Topic
LunaLua

My Media:
My MIDI-music
SMBX38A is here

I'm support:

MarioLover64
Fighter Fly
Fighter Fly

Postby MarioLover64 » Sat Apr 27, 2019 8:40 am

Well the onscreen controls don't work at all.

Wohlstand
Boom Boom
Boom Boom

Postby Wohlstand » Sun Apr 28, 2019 9:24 am

MarioLover64 wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2019 8:40 am
Well the onscreen controls don't work at all.
Okay, can you tell me which device you are using? (model and Android version you can see in the settings) I know it works fine on Android 4.3, on Android 8, but, maybe you have Android 9 I have never tested?

EDIT: Just now I have tested the work on my phone, and damn, it's also not works at me, will try to fix that...
Last edited by Wohlstand on Sun Apr 28, 2019 9:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

PGE Project
PGE Project SMBX Topic
LunaLua

My Media:
My MIDI-music
SMBX38A is here

I'm support:

Taycamgame
Gold Yoshi Egg
Gold Yoshi Egg
Flair: Beta 4 beta be here soon jk
Current Project: Mario's Kingdom Adventure
Chat Username: Taycamgame

Postby Taycamgame » Sun Apr 28, 2019 9:31 am

BTW will there ever be an IOS version of PGE? Not as many people have android devices compared to apple ios devices, also quite a few games already on ios have built in level editors (though they aren't very complex in relation to PGE) so it shouldn't be impossible to bring the tech to those devices
Official Level Reviewer (My Gold Yoshi Egg rank replaced the level reviewer icon, but i am still a level reviewer).
Check out my Episodes:
ImageImage
Check out the World Map Service that i host:
viewtopic.php?p=316733#p316733
Check out the projects i support:
ImageImageImage
Quotes: show
xDestroy wrote:
Wellington Games wrote:Taycamgame, I know how to take screenshots in the SMBX.

MarioLover64
Fighter Fly
Fighter Fly

Postby MarioLover64 » Sun Apr 28, 2019 9:35 am

Heres my specs:
Android Version
Phone model
LG_D415

Electriking
Flair: I have NO idea what to put here
Current Project: Something
Chat Username: ElectriKing

Postby Electriking » Sun Apr 28, 2019 10:22 am

Taycamgame wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2019 9:31 am
BTW will there ever be an IOS version of PGE? Not as many people have android devices compared to apple ios devices, also quite a few games already on ios have built in level editors (though they aren't very complex in relation to PGE) so it shouldn't be impossible to bring the tech to those devices
You can't just make apps for IOS in the same way you can for Android.
SMM2 ID: JJF-P7G-FSF

Return to “General”